Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This sounds perfect for a sumo-conversion: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct1811-ktm-unveils-freeride-350/

99kg? Yes please!

At a guess (and from the name) I'd deduce they took the Freeride electric chassis and adapted it to IC... That's actually pretty clever. Now they'll have really good parts compatibility between EV and IC lines. Which means the IC diehards get a better, lighter bike and the EV stands a much better chance of seeing meaningful production.

Also: that's really loving light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ReelBigLizard posted:

At a guess (and from the name) I'd deduce they took the Freeride electric chassis and adapted it to IC... That's actually pretty clever. Now they'll have really good parts compatibility between EV and IC lines. Which means the IC diehards get a better, lighter bike and the EV stands a much better chance of seeing meaningful production.

Also: that's really loving light.

Looks like it might be. But I can't imagine a de-tuned 350 having to move only 99kg will use a lot of fuel. Perhaps their making Freeride be a branding for more efficient KTMs.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Perhaps their making Freeride be a branding for more efficient KTMs.

Ah true, I had assumed the detuning was more to do with increasing the service life, but you're probably right.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm going to take one for a spin when they come out... maybe end up with one.

That little 350 engine is pretty corked by those pipes, and if its only making 25 HP, that's almost 10 down on it's usual game. A pipe and some intake help and I bet that thing really comes alive.

That weight is remarkable for being street legal. With the added torque of the 100cc's over a trail 250, I imagine that thing will be amazing in the woods. Mmmmm

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Spiffness posted:

That weight is remarkable for being street legal. With the added torque of the 100cc's over a trail 250, I imagine that thing will be amazing in the woods. Mmmmm

Is it street legal? The pictures aren't great but I can't make out turn signals or a taillight.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Yo backing it in on a fixie is mad hard. Anyone ever figure this out? I haven't tried to turn while doing it yet, but I'm starting to be able to skid while keeping the rear spinning, but it usually get jerked back to not skidding when the cranks are parallel with my legs. I need some kind of vicious brake that only comes on when the pedals speed up suddenly.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is it street legal? The pictures aren't great but I can't make out turn signals or a taillight.

The article mentions that it's going to be road-legal.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

KTM's site also has a bit better picture where you can't see turn signals, but you can see the lights and the license plate holder.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

KTM's site also has a bit better picture where you can't see turn signals, but you can see the lights and the license plate holder.

That's because they've ridden the bike that they used for the photoshoot.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

henne posted:

Yo backing it in on a fixie is mad hard. Anyone ever figure this out? I haven't tried to turn while doing it yet, but I'm starting to be able to skid while keeping the rear spinning, but it usually get jerked back to not skidding when the cranks are parallel with my legs. I need some kind of vicious brake that only comes on when the pedals speed up suddenly.
Done it once by accident. Was filtering past traffic at some silly speed and some bastard pulled out while I was parallel to him.

Corner hard and lots of front brake. Lots. You do have a front brake?

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Hey I was checking out my new to me duke and the left intake valve is missing its tappet and nut. I've had it for over 500miles with no issues can I just put new parts in?

Do you think the Carb on that valve is clogged or whatever from not being used? What do you guys think

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

bred posted:

Hey I was checking out my new to me duke and the left intake valve is missing its tappet and nut. I've had it for over 500miles with no issues can I just put new parts in?

Do you think the Carb on that valve is clogged or whatever from not being used? What do you guys think

:psyduck:

Uh, you want to find out where they went. With any luck they just dropped down into the sump, for gods sake don't ride it.

Drain the oil, if it's new you can drain it into a clean container and put it back in afterward. If they are in the sump, they should come out in the oil, if not, a magnet on a stick is your friend.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 20, 2011

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

bred posted:

When you say tappet do you mean the entire rocker arm? Check the cam chain tunnel.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Just #12 and #13 here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah you need to find those before something bad happens.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

bred posted:

Just #12 and #13 here.

Oh, then don't worry about it, I have a KTM in my avatar so you can trust my advice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretty sure you get like 5 extra hp by removing all those

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Pretty sure you get like 5 extra hp by removing all those

You have the bonus of it sounding like a ducati with a dry clutch if you toss them back in the crankcase!

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I opened up the valve cover and used a magnet on a stick through the oil drain this afternoon. There was some things up top:

These were under the valve cover.

Here's a size reference.

There was a lot of silicone sealer here instead of a gasket but if someone was in here why didn't they take these parts out.

I don't know where the aluminum chunk came from but the smaller piece is the socket end of the tappet. I'm guessing it fell off and someone pulled the rest of it out of the rocker to not wear the valve.

EDIT I found out it is part of the bearing holding the rocker shaft. Looks like someone put too long of a screw to hold the intake valve cover on and caused it to fall off. :stare:

bred fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 22, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Was out on a bicycle ride today in the south of France on a backroad (too poor to buy a supermoto) and this KTM 690 came out of nowhere, passed me from behind, and the rider proceeded to back it in to the next set of corners. It was pretty awesome considering I would never see that poo poo where I'm from in the US.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Good news I got a used cover and put it all back together. It's like a whole new bike with both valves. I'm much more comfortable on the freeway and second gear is a monster.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bought a drz yesterday. I will post pictures if/when I get back from the first ride I'm about to do. Hope I don't loop it :-)

edit: Holy jesus gently caress.

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 28, 2011

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well that was definitely entertaining. Here are some phone photos (and some questions..).

£1750, missing wing mirrors and indicators :psyduck:. Possibly raced (but no signs of safety wiring, so probably not that seriously). PO told me he spilled at slow speed and snapped the clutch lever. Yoshimura exhaust, don't know which one. Don't know if there are any other mods, but I'm curious:

I've already ordered a clutch lever, wing mirrors and indicators.

Is this a stock airbox?

I think I know why the indicators came off:

Anyone know what this cylinder is? Real edit: Oh, I guess it's stock.

Definitely considering going back to stock exhaust. Don't know if I'll make any money on it, but I'd like to break even. Sort of looks like it was installed kind of badly as well.

But holy gawdamn is this thing fun to ride :neckbeard: And I'll find out what maintenance hasn't been done, because it probably needs it.

Fake edit: Sorry for the double post. Kind of.

Real edit: Oh, I see what the 3x3 mod actually is. I'll check.

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 28, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
So what is that little scuba tank looking thing? I can't even guess what it would be used for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you think you'll ever want to modify it, the Yoshi is the 2nd best pipe you can get for the DRZ's, so it will definitely help

^^^The Scuba tank is the shock reservoir.

Like this:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 28, 2011

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phat_Albert posted:

If you think you'll ever want to modify it, the Yoshi is the 2nd best pipe you can get for the DRZ's, so it will definitely help

^^^The Scuba tank is the shock reservoir.

Like this:

Oh, that makes sense, thanks. The question in my mind is will this pipe melt the hell out of my right rear indicator when I install it. It looks like the stock pipe extends a bit further.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
If the indicator would be getting hit by direct exhaust fumes then it will melt. Ask me how I know.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We call that KTM Syndrome

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Suspension might have been redone, that's the stock carb/airbox.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is there any good way to tell if it's been re-jetted for the Yoshimura? I'll leave it on if it doesn't melt indicators. Probably.

e: it is kinda loud, though.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I bought a DRZ400SM on Saturday and it owns. I haven't had a chance to ride it much since but the 25 miles or so on it so far were joyous. Its so light!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Add another to the fold :getin:

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Where is everyone finding all these DRZ400SMs? I've seen one posting in the Austin area in the last month. Either I'm terrible at craigslist or I need to be looking elsewhere. Assuming there are any DRZs for sale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They arent the easiest things to find, but there are at least a few for sale at any given time in the Milwaukee area, so I would think Austin would be at least as good as MKE for them.

Does Austin hate supermotos?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Resource posted:

Where is everyone finding all these DRZ400SMs? I've seen one posting in the Austin area in the last month. Either I'm terrible at craigslist or I need to be looking elsewhere. Assuming there are any DRZs for sale.

I have one. It's yours for 6999!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Resource posted:

I've seen a couple in Houston, a couple in Dallas, and a good deal on one in Arkansas, but I can't bring myself to sell my current ride and buy a supermoto...yet. But keep searching, and be sure to check San Antonio, H-town and Dallas as well. Use crazedlist if you want.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I guess I haven't been paying attention, but I just recently realized the wr250x is fuel injected. That combined with motomind's awesome trip is enough to make me pick one over a drz for a daily bike.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

I guess I haven't been paying attention, but I just recently realized the wr250x is fuel injected. That combined with motomind's awesome trip is enough to make me pick one over a drz for a daily bike.

I was blessed enough to ride motomind's wr250r through some nice twisties in Santa Barbara and holy poo poo, most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. I might go look at one on Friday :x

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It doesn't help that they are dropping into the sub 4k range either. I'm hoping come December/January I can scoop one up for the same price I end up selling the 636 for at the beginning of summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Is there proper technique or some tutorials on how to properly wheelie, stoppie or back it in. I've put about 1000ks on the KTM so far and feel I should really learn how to do some of this stuff, for you know, safety skills.

• Locked thread