Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

So I have this one app where the "this is an application downloaded from the internet" doesn't go away after the first ask. Just one app :confused:
Betcha you're running it from inside the .dmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I really wish there was some filtering to the Word of the Day screensaver... I use it at work, and it prominently displayed "gypsy" on my screen in 2 inch high letters when I returned to my computer :v:

TACD posted:

Betcha you're running it from inside the .dmg

Would sound likely, but it's in the applications folder

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stoat posted:

Since updating my 3rd gen iPod touch to os5, my artists list has gone haywire.

Anyone know how to get it working normally again?

Do you have anything set for that artist under "Sort Artist By" in iTunes? Check every song to see if there's one stray track that has something weird in there.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Is there a way to update the graphics drivers on my 2011 Macbook pro's bootcamp partition? The windows drivers I downloaded from Ati tell me that my computer does not contain a proper graphics card, and the bootcamp drivers on their page are from January.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm trying to use the Tragic Macpads. My primary concern is that I'll like it so much that I'll want to use it on every computer I touch.

Does anyone here feel it is truly superior to a Mouse?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

For anything that doesn't require super precision like photo editing or gaming, yes. I much prefer the trackpad and its gestures when doing most of my Mac activities like surfing, media watching, etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

I'm trying to use the Tragic Macpads. My primary concern is that I'll like it so much that I'll want to use it on every computer I touch.

Yes, thought I imagine that it depends on your computing habits and what kinds of things you use your computer for

edit: Though I use a thumb trackball everywhere I can't use a trackpad so I may not be a very representative sample.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Xenomorph posted:

After using laptops for many years, mice feel strange, alien and uncomfortable. I scowl whenever I see somebody plugging a tiny Logitech mouse to a MacBook Pro

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Xenomorph posted:

You won't want it on every computer, but you'll never be able to use a PC laptop again.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cockwhore posted:

After using laptops for many years, mice feel strange, alien and uncomfortable. I scowl whenever I see somebody plugging a tiny Logitech mouse to a MacBook Pro

This is my mom. We got her an MBP for her birthday last year, and the first thing she did after unboxing it was to plug in the mouse she'd been using with her netbook.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What kind of charts? I don't think you were really using spaces in the way it was designed to be used. Are they all the same format? Couldn't you just open all of them up and then evoke "application specific expose" to throw them in grid view?

Price and quote charts for financial market data. App expose won't work as each Space is a combination of apps.

Does anyone know if OS X exposes methods to get a thumnbail of a Space, so I could roll my own? I've never done any OS X development but have an extensive background in C/C++ and would be game to give it a try.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Would sound likely, but it's in the applications folder
I'm guessing the quarantine flag is still on it for whatever reason. Going off of this page, try this:
code:
xattr -r com.apple.quarantine "file path"

Xenomorph posted:

Click drag operations is the only thing that's lacking with it for me, but even then I've sort of gotten used to the three finger drag. Otherwise BTT gets me other stuff I would miss with the standard configuration, primarily three finger tap = middle click (which slightly interferes with the three finger drag, but it's a worthwhile trade off for me).

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Crossbar posted:

Is there a way to update the graphics drivers on my 2011 Macbook pro's bootcamp partition? The windows drivers I downloaded from Ati tell me that my computer does not contain a proper graphics card, and the bootcamp drivers on their page are from January.
In case anyone is wondering how to do this, I followed the directions in the link below and I'm now running up-to-date drivers-

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobility-radeon-drivers-support/206549-ati-mobility-catalyst-11-9-display-drivers-notebooks-28-09-2011-a.html

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Crossbar posted:

I've also found that the beta drivers tend to have support for the MBP's graphics card:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU124AMDCat1110PreDriverV3.aspx

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a way to change my current gmail apple id email to my new @me one? I'm getting "You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID." when I try to do it from the Apple ID site.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Adobe Flash keeps trying to update itself. It will pop up a box and piss me off. Anyone know how I can stop it doing so?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Anjow posted:

Adobe Flash keeps trying to update itself. It will pop up a box and piss me off. Anyone know how I can stop it doing so?

Let it update itself so it stops prompting? :v:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Anjow posted:

Uninstall Flash and use Google Chrome anytime you actually need access to Flash.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

maduin posted:

Uninstall Flash and use Google Chrome anytime you actually need access to Flash.
This. Especially if you use Safari. Just enable the developer menu and use the 'open in' item right at the top.

Edit: And Click2Plugin to make some Flash stuff use native video decoding.

unruly fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 20, 2011

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Hi all,

I'm working on "streamlining" my Entourage email, and to this end I have set up a couple dozen rules for how to sort my (IMAP) inbox. The rules do put the email into the proper folder. I know these because if I click the John Smith subfolder, the email will show up there. However, it never shows John Smith (1), making it difficult to know whether I have received an email at all.

Any suggestions? I can post screenshots of my rules setup if that would help, or post this elsewhere (I've never seen any Windows users with Entourage, but if that thread is better I'll post there).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's been forever since I've even seen Entourage (seriously, use Mail.app or Outlook for Mac and get with the times), but in most email clients, rules that including marking a filtered message as read will not affect the unread messages # indicator besides a folder.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a way to change my current gmail apple id email to my new @me one? I'm getting "You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID." when I try to do it from the Apple ID site.

Yes, just log in with it. :confused:

Or did you want to completely remove the account associated with your gmail address?

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

wolffenstein posted:

It's been forever since I've even seen Entourage (seriously, use Mail.app or Outlook for Mac and get with the times), but in most email clients, rules that including marking a filtered message as read will not affect the unread messages # indicator besides a folder.

Well, I switched away from Mail.app because it had hardly any features, and I don't want to bug my office for an Outlook license, so I'm sticking with Entourage (though I could use Thunderbird...). The funny thing is when I click the folder it shows the message there, as unread, and the folder changes to John Smith (1) after I click it. I'm sure it's something with automatic updating, or something.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not sure what features you need in Entourage that Mail lacks. Hell I used Mail with an Exchange server in an enterprise environment and never felt like I missed anything.

Regardless, Entourage is old poo poo that MS isn't likely to update anymore. Not to mention you're going to cry like a bitch when its database shits itself. You really ought to upgrade to Office for Mac 2011 as soon as possible and use Outlook for Mac. While Outlook for Mac still uses a database, you won't lose your data if it destroys itself, because Outlook stores messages as individual Time Machine-able files rather than a single-file DB.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Not sure what features you need in Entourage that Mail lacks. Hell I used Mail with an Exchange server in an enterprise environment and never felt like I missed anything.

Regardless, Entourage is old poo poo that MS isn't likely to update anymore. Not to mention you're going to cry like a bitch when its database shits itself. You really ought to upgrade to Office for Mac 2011 as soon as possible and use Outlook for Mac. While Outlook for Mac still uses a database, you won't lose your data if it destroys itself, because Outlook stores messages as individual Time Machine-able files rather than a single-file DB.
I'm not the guy that asked but I'm stuck using Entourage at work too.

1. Can't upgrade to Lion (so new Mail.app won't work)
2. Can't upgrade to Outlook 2011 because our Exchange server is 2003 and apparently Ex2003 doesn't talk to Out2011.

Anyone have any other suggestions for me?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Get an external HD and get Time Machine going on it. Keep external connected whenever possible. Seriously you're stuck in a hard place. MS isn't going to implement Exchange 03 support in Office 2011, same for Mail. Thunderbird is pointless to switch to because it has the same single-file DB problem.

I'd recommend putting in a request to management to update their infrastructure. Exchange 03 is nearly 10 years old at this point, and its limitations are really showing.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

dexter6 posted:

I'm not the guy that asked but I'm stuck using Entourage at work too.

1. Can't upgrade to Lion (so new Mail.app won't work)
2. Can't upgrade to Outlook 2011 because our Exchange server is 2003 and apparently Ex2003 doesn't talk to Out2011.

Anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Snow Leopard Mail.app has Exchange support too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

qutius posted:

Let it update itself so it stops prompting? :v:
Just make sure it doesn't look like this :v:

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
Sparrow is a pretty decent mail app, but I don't know if it works for exchange

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Anyone on Lion having issues with MplayerX? Specifically playing videos over an AFP share, MplayerX crashes during the caching phase and has huge problems seeking through videos.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

vikingstrike posted:

Snow Leopard Mail.app has Exchange support too.
Supports 2007, not 2003.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

do it posted:

Anyone on Lion having issues with MplayerX? Specifically playing videos over an AFP share, MplayerX crashes during the caching phase and has huge problems seeking through videos.
This is usually related to a file being broken, not MPlayerX itself. I play 720p over WiFi & AFP all the time with MPlayerX.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

wolffenstein posted:

Supports 2007, not 2003.

drat, I guess I never realized that. You may be out of luck then if you can't get Outlook for Mac. I think we've already mentioned all the OS X clients.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Does anyone here still use an early 2006 intel iMac with any sort of wired usb keyboard, besides the apple aluminum keyboard? If so, does it work during the gray boot screen?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
The generic keyboard I got from wal-mart works with my 2006 iMac at boot, but the aluminium one from Apple doesn't, no idea why.. it's pretty weird.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
My brother had that issue as well. He had to borrow the old white keyboard from my iMac G5.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

This seems to be a good place to ask - can I broadcast to more than one Airport Express at the same time? I want to set up a system where I can take one mac mini and have it send music out via mini jack and to two airport expresses. It'd be great to do this via one computer in iTunes so we can use an iPhone to stop/start the music.

I've only got one here with me to test, but I need to go out to multiple sources at once.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

This seems to be a good place to ask - can I broadcast to more than one Airport Express at the same time? I want to set up a system where I can take one mac mini and have it send music out via mini jack and to two airport expresses. It'd be great to do this via one computer in iTunes so we can use an iPhone to stop/start the music.

I've only got one here with me to test, but I need to go out to multiple sources at once.

Yes, there is a "Multiple Speakers" option in my iTunes when I click the AirPlay button.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

This seems to be a good place to ask - can I broadcast to more than one Airport Express at the same time?

Depending on the generation and firmware, yep.

You will want the second-gen (802.11n-capable) Airport Express for this purpose. The firmware version you need for Multiple Speakers on the first gen tends to crash after a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Galg posted:

The generic keyboard I got from wal-mart works with my 2006 iMac at boot, but the aluminium one from Apple doesn't, no idea why.. it's pretty weird.
The 2006 Intel Mac minis did this too, at least with the old white keyboard vs aluminum ones. Didn't know it affected other machines too, maybe it's a first gen Intel Mac thing in general?