Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only thing worse than a missed opportunity is a retroactively missed opportunity.

I do not regret voting for the Dirty Dozen Yakuza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CoarsestGrate posted:

It gave a poor performance on its first major outing, which just happened to be the first major Mech vs. Mech battle in history.

Yah, that feels like like scrapping the D1 and banning tank development because the Somme offensive was a catastrophe. Though I guess that makes perfect sense in the wacky, wacky land that comprises Space Japan's war thought leadership.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I vote for Arcturus Gaussback and would like to thank everyone who wrote fluff for their designs! That kind of geeky stuff is what makes this thread so fun. :)

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I will vote for

Cthulhu Dreams' Gladiator GLD-2RK.

The Gladiator is a really cool-looking 'mech, a sweet ride with no reason whatsoever to have been dishonored. Hell, the Dragon might still wind up needing to pull those old guys out of mothballs, dishonored or no, and this variant might still see the light of day.

Or maybe they'll sell the Gladiator GLD-2RK to the Lyrans who need a good medium-gauss and can't bear to take the torch to the griffin in exchange for some Assault or other.

[e]So, how does the naming work, by the way? Do we pick a Clan 'mech we know and give you the name we want it to have, or will you write us some fluff about a specific 'mech and have us name it from the point of view of the person in the field to designate it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

Well, since PTN snipped out the fluff I wrote- not that it's much

Gotcha. What do I win?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

KnoxZone posted:

Karmic revenge for naming the pilot Adam Steiner.

The most satisfying headshot I ever pulled off in Battletech, doubly so for being in the Crusader design I made. :smug:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Leperflesh posted:

Gotcha. What do I win?

Unending rage. :argh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The apostrophe in your custom title reminds me to carefully check every one of your posts.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Mukaikubo posted:

Unending rage. :argh:

That's a gift that keeps on giving if you happen to be in the profession of "viking berzerker", yessiree.

I'm also amused that I was the only one crazy enough to mount two Gauss Rifles without XLFerrendo at my dispoal. King Crabs may scuttle, but the Daboku gives no more fucks than the KCG.

That's the fun thing about Gauss Rifles, though, and to a lesser extent LBX autocannons and possibly Streak SRMs. They're largely self-contained LosTech. Basically, all of the ammo-eating LosTech, whereas Extended Range Anything is suicidal without double heat sinks.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I didn't do anything that heavy because I just felt it was more fun to see how good a mech I could do with a top limit of 70 tons, I could probably strap 2 gauss rifles to a Crusader, but it would move slow and have very little armor. Not a good combination.

I also felt really dirty about making a well designed mech for Tech Level 1 play. That poo poo just ain't right.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
My other idea was to take the abominable AWS-8R, strip out all the missiles and spare heatsinks, and add two Gauss Rifles with four tons of ammo.

In the end I went with something a bit more mobile.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

KnoxZone posted:

My other idea was to take the abominable AWS-8R, strip out all the missiles and spare heatsinks, and add two Gauss Rifles with four tons of ammo.

The other thing I tried was a succession wars tech stock Lancelot with a PPC, Gauss Rifle, 2 tons of ammo and 12.5 tons of armor. It seems beasty (coming out at 1.5k BV for 4.4 mil). I kinda regret not submitting it!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

Funny, I had something similar in the works. Replace one PPC and 9 heat sinks with Gauss and one ton of ammo. It's just quite slow and not Kurita-like at all. Steiner, on the other hand...

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The other thing I tried was a succession wars tech stock Lancelot with a PPC, Gauss Rifle, 2 tons of ammo and 12.5 tons of armor. It seems beasty (coming out at 1.5k BV for 4.4 mil). I kinda regret not submitting it!

That would've been a very nasty long range hole-puncher. The main issue for me would be the lack of jumpjets, I'm a very big proponent of the incredibly mobility afforded by them, you can pull of some very good backstabs that way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yah, that feels like like scrapping the D1 and banning tank development because the Somme offensive was a catastrophe. Though I guess that makes perfect sense in the wacky, wacky land that comprises Space Japan's war thought leadership.
To be fair, it was the second battle of Villers-Bretonneux that showed how effective tanks were in the offensive, yet the Germans decided that because theirs sucked it was a dead end and they quit the whole program.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Alright, after careful consideration, I have decided to designate a clan mech with a bit of irony mixed with Norse mythology. Watching the Clans drive the DCMS out of the Rasalhague Military District is like watching a dragon being driven away by an even bigger and meaner dragon. And what believer of a Free Rasalhague does not want to insult the Combine?

Therefore, I humbly suggest that the 70t mech Summoner? be designated a Nidhogg.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Then we definitely need another mech to be named Hräsvelg, preferably a new DCMS design with the guass-rifle.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

KnoxZone posted:

The Trastlas had one gauss and one lbx-10 otherwise I might have thrown it into the hopper for consideration. But a dual gauss monster is also quite nice. :black101:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Can I save my 'mech naming choice until after one of them has stood out in my head to be worth naming, PTN?

Or can I pick one that's not present here?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Alright, after careful consideration, I have decided to designate a clan mech with a bit of irony mixed with Norse mythology. Watching the Clans drive the DCMS out of the Rasalhague Military District is like watching a dragon being driven away by an even bigger and meaner dragon. And what believer of a Free Rasalhague does not want to insult the Combine?

Therefore, I humbly suggest that the 70t mech Summoner? be designated a Nidhogg.

An interesting name. I like it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hob_Gadling posted:

Funny, I had something similar in the works. Replace one PPC and 9 heat sinks with Gauss and one ton of ammo. It's just quite slow and not Kurita-like at all. Steiner, on the other hand...

The only awesomes ever shown in the novels were fielded by the Draconis Combine and the New Rim World Republic.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

KnoxZone posted:

Another nice norse influenced name would be Blóðughadda or Blodughadda. The "crimson hair", one of the seven waves, the one after sea battles. There are a lot of really good norse names to choose from though.

Affi posted:

Then we definitely need another mech to be named Hräsvelg, preferably a new DCMS design with the guass-rifle.

Corpse eater, the eagle on top of yggdrasil? I like it! :D

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 18, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nidhogg has been added to the AUTRO, which means it could potentially see an entry after this fight.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Or can I pick one that's not present here?

I'd prefer them to be 'Mechs we've seen.

VVV Forgot about him, which is a shame since I liked Double Blind.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 18, 2011

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only awesomes ever shown in the novels were fielded by the Draconis Combine and the New Rim World Republic.

Not quite right. Cameron St. Jamais rolls in one during Double Blind, and he's WOB posing as Marian Hegemony.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

It's much better than calling it a Thor, if your guess on the Mystery 'Mech is on the money. After all, bringing down the thunder and lightning is something you'd associate with 4 ERPPCs and a Targeting Computer.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Man I'm kind of sad I didn't win but the two winning contestants are pretty awesome. I thought of doing a Hatamoto-Chi prototype before but I decided on fluffing refits of -1A1 Chargers with Thug/Cicada parts.

Kudos to the winners and I'm game for any additional mech design challenges you throw out.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Aw man, now I regret missing the submission window. I had another Hatamoto-Chi prototype (fairly similar to KnoxZone's winning one, actually) all ready to go and everything, but forgot all about it after I got home from work. Oh well, here it is anyway:

quote:

Hatamoto-Chi HTM-26G

Mass: 80 tons
Cost: 7,711,320 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,718

Chassis: Standard
Power Plant: 320 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Armor: 14.5 tons Standard Armor
Armament:
1 Gauss Rifle (16 shots)
2 SRM-6s (15 shots)
2 Medium Lasers

Thinking about it now, I might have dropped down to SRM-4s and used the two tons of weight saved for an extra ton each of SRM and Gauss ammo for more staying power. Another option would be dropping the SRMs altogether, tossing in a LRM5 with a single ton of ammo, and then spending the spare weight on jumpjets and a third ton of Gauss ammo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Then it wouldn't be a Hatamoto-Chi

Still waiting on peoples' orders.

VVV I got yours, I just don't want to call out the two people who haven't sent orders yet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 19, 2011

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

:rolldice:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pinguliten posted:

Corpse eater, the eagle on top of yggdrasil? I like it! :D

Come on. If we did that, we'd have to name one of the Clan lights the Ratatosk(r). True, naming a mech after a mythological squirrel strikes me as pretty Goony, but not sure anyone in the setting would use the name.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

My first thought was a Daboku with an AC/20 and a Gauss, name it something like "Thunder and Lightning". Maybe Raiden.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Come on. If we did that, we'd have to name one of the Clan lights the Ratatosk(r). True, naming a mech after a mythological squirrel strikes me as pretty Goony, but not sure anyone in the setting would use the name.

Perhaps the Kit Fox could take that name?

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
I messed around for a while and didn't produce anything, but I'd like to hear what you folks think of my idea:

Matching a gauss rifle with AC-2's (5's?) on a fast moving mech. It sort of started as 'hey, what if you put a gauss in a Kraken to punch holes for the autocannons to exploit?' Then I modified that to 'let's make it really fast so that it can stay at range and be really annoying.' I never really found a balance that felt like it had enough AC-2 to really be a critseeking threat while still being mobile enough to be dangerous. Could that work, or was it a dumb idea?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Centurium posted:

I messed around for a while and didn't produce anything, but I'd like to hear what you folks think of my idea:

Matching a gauss rifle with AC-2's (5's?) on a fast moving mech. It sort of started as 'hey, what if you put a gauss in a Kraken to punch holes for the autocannons to exploit?' Then I modified that to 'let's make it really fast so that it can stay at range and be really annoying.' I never really found a balance that felt like it had enough AC-2 to really be a critseeking threat while still being mobile enough to be dangerous. Could that work, or was it a dumb idea?

It'd be damned hard with L1 tech. Also LRM5s would be better if you could handle the heat. Lighter, at least.

Edit:
75t 4/6/4 with a Gauss, 4 LRM 5s and two tons of ammo for both. Decent armor and 2 Small Lasers for close-in.

Double-edit:
There's a Lao Hu variant that's built that way: 5/8, Gauss, ERLL, 3xLRM 5.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 19, 2011

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Then it wouldn't be a Hatamoto-Chi

VVV I got yours, I just don't want to call out the two people who haven't sent orders yet.

Mine are sent

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Centurium posted:

AC-2s are too heavy. Gauss + LRMs works well enough, though. But again, 'fast moving' is really hard with L1 tech constraints.

Basically, you can have speed, armor, or firepower, choose one and a half. L2 IS tech allows you to choose 2, and Clan tech lets you choose two and a half of these.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Augh I hate the bloody modern warfare 3 banner at the bottom of the page.
Every time I see the bloody MW3 banner at the bottom I rad it mechwarrior before I'm disappointed again as I realise what it stands for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pinguliten posted:

Augh I hate the bloody modern warfare 3 banner at the bottom of the page.
Every time I see the bloody MW3 banner at the bottom I rad it mechwarrior before I'm disappointed again as I realise what it stands for.
I've had good fun over the years working people into a rage by pretending to be confused when they talked about guns in "MW2" and saying that they weren't in there and that the person is an idiot. Eventually they'd explain they meant CoD and I'd be all "ooooh.... right THAT game. n00b" and it would start all over.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I sent you mine in a response PM, in case you missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Mine should be in too, right?

Edit: I just killed a near-pristine Hellstar with the loving AC/2 Clint in Megamek. Tac: Engine, Tac: Engine, Engine. I am seriously laughing my rear end off imagining what that must have looked like.

Clint Pilot: "DIBS!"

raverrn fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 20, 2011

• Locked thread