Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

pnumoman posted:

Stock, cream, mushrooms. Cook down mushrooms, toss in some shallots if you feel like it. Deglaze pan with cognac or generic "brown", add stock, reduce a touch, add cream. Salt+pepper to taste.

So rich, so good.

Oh yes, I want to eat this right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I thought there was a cast iron megathread, but if it survived the Whirled Peas thread massacre, I can't find it. So I'll ask here.

I'm the proud owner of a brand new, already seasoned, super awesome cast iron skillet/dutch oven (really deep skillet with lid and frying basket thing) that my cajun aunt gave me as a wedding gift. Last night I used it for the first time to do breaded pork chops.

I know that NO SOAP is the rule. I dumped the oil, wiped it out with a paper towel, then used my dishcloth (which had been used with soap on it, but had been rinsed since then) and hot water to scrub off any stuck on food bits. I was terrified of removing the seasoning, but I think I did okay. Then I dried it really well and rubbed a little vegetable oil on it before I put it away. (I also made my husband stand in the kitchen and watch me wash it because I'm a mean kitchen nazi harpy and I don't want him ruining it by 'soaking it in the sink' after he uses it to make grilled cheese sandwiches or something.)

My main question is, if I got cooked on food bits using 1/4-1/2" oil to fry something, what's going to happen if I try to sear a steak in it using significantly less oil? Should I stick to high fat items like bacon and deep frying for the first 5 uses or so until it's better seasoned? How much can I scrub the stuck on food bits without rubbing off the seasoning? Is there anything else I need to be doing?

I really want a perfectly seasoned, 'nothing will ever stick to it' pan. Can I 'reseason' it when I don't need to, just to get it to that point eventually? Honestly, I'm not cooking a lot of bacon or deep frying, so I'm concerned that it won't get enough use to get it like I want it in order to cook eggs and cornbread in it...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:rolleyes:

If it is seasoned fine, I'm guessing you either used too high of heat or didn't let it heat up long enough. Cast iron can heat unevenly, and if you toss food in too quickly, you're gonna get poo poo stuck to the bottom.

Also, soap is fine if you accidentally add a bit. I've soaped my dutch oven more than once, and OMG it's still fine.

Just keep cooking with it. Use metal utensils, and scrape your pan after using. Use a 3M no scratch pad if it gets bad enough.

But really, if you can scrape off "seasoning" with a spatula or a scrub pad, it was a poo poo "season".

Most of the super slick cast iron has been used longer than you've probably been alive. My main skillet and dutch oven are gifts from my granddad. If you wanna quicken it up, get some sand paper and grind off all the bumps and stuff on the cooking surface, then reseason.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Goddamn, cast iron is the dry denim of this forum. Just use it. Maybe you need a little more oil the first few times. Big deal!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

yes posted:

Goddamn, cast iron is the dry denim of this forum. Just use it. Maybe you need a little more oil the first few times. Big deal!

Where you been all my life, yes?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My mom bought me a bunch of different kinds of flours for my birthday and I have no idea what to do with some of them. I have regular unbleached white flour, whole wheat and barley flour. Those I can just use for normal bread recipes, but I'm not sure what to do with the Blue Cornmeal, Dark Rye Flour, and Sweet White Sorghum flour.

I'll be making some blue cornmeal muffins for sure, hopefully they turn out to be some weird colour and I'll take pictures.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Nione posted:

I thought there was a cast iron megathread, but if it survived the Whirled Peas thread massacre, I can't find it. So I'll ask here.

I'm the proud owner of a brand new, already seasoned, super awesome cast iron skillet/dutch oven (really deep skillet with lid and frying basket thing) that my cajun aunt gave me as a wedding gift. Last night I used it for the first time to do breaded pork chops.

I know that NO SOAP is the rule. I dumped the oil, wiped it out with a paper towel, then used my dishcloth (which had been used with soap on it, but had been rinsed since then) and hot water to scrub off any stuck on food bits. I was terrified of removing the seasoning, but I think I did okay. Then I dried it really well and rubbed a little vegetable oil on it before I put it away. (I also made my husband stand in the kitchen and watch me wash it because I'm a mean kitchen nazi harpy and I don't want him ruining it by 'soaking it in the sink' after he uses it to make grilled cheese sandwiches or something.)

My main question is, if I got cooked on food bits using 1/4-1/2" oil to fry something, what's going to happen if I try to sear a steak in it using significantly less oil? Should I stick to high fat items like bacon and deep frying for the first 5 uses or so until it's better seasoned? How much can I scrub the stuck on food bits without rubbing off the seasoning? Is there anything else I need to be doing?

I really want a perfectly seasoned, 'nothing will ever stick to it' pan. Can I 'reseason' it when I don't need to, just to get it to that point eventually? Honestly, I'm not cooking a lot of bacon or deep frying, so I'm concerned that it won't get enough use to get it like I want it in order to cook eggs and cornbread in it...
The more you use it the easier it will be to use. Get a stiff bristled plastic brush to clean it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When I get bits of poo poo cooked onto my cast iron, I put some water in it, put it on a burner, get the water to a boil, then scrape that poo poo. Comes right off, then I dump the water, dry it, and wipe it with a very thin layer of oil. Really, cast iron care is very easy - even if you hosed it up, you can't gently caress it up. Just strip it and start over.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
How do I make The Best Sauteed Mushrooms? Currently I just cook on high heat with salt, pepper, and garlic, and it's mighty good. But what would take it over the top?

Also, any takers on my mayo question?

The Macaroni posted:

Question: I was making mayonnaise by hand the other day, and at my mother-in-law's request didn't put any sugar in. (Don't ask.) So I whisked an egg yolk with a bit of dry mustard, added some salt and lemon juice, then started whisking away. No emulsion at all, just a gross soupy mess, which has never happened to me before. Likely this was from the lack of sugar. My question is, what role does sugar play in the formation of a mayo emulsion?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Re: Mayo

Sugar plays no role whatsoever. Next time, try using a whole egg instead of just the yolk. For a fail-safe way to hold your emulsion early on, try a half teaspoon of dijon mustard.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Macaroni posted:

How do I make The Best Sauteed Mushrooms? Currently I just cook on high heat with salt, pepper, and garlic, and it's mighty good. But what would take it over the top?

Also, any takers on my mayo question?

I've never put put sugar in mayo. I have found that adding salt at the beginning with the lemon juice does something and the egg yolk kind of seizes and poo poo just doesn't work.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Needs butter or olive oil, a splash of sherry and a bit of lemon juice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Got beaten to it, but sugar's role is limited strictly to taste in mayo. As suggested, add a bit of mustard, which has its own set of emulsifying agents it can bring to the table. Additionally, try using a hand blender for, basically, fail-free mayo making.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've never put put sugar in mayo. I have found that adding salt at the beginning with the lemon juice does something and the egg yolk kind of seizes and poo poo just doesn't work.

Expounding upon this, I would assume the acid denatures the protein responsible for emulsion (lechitin?) thereby making your mayo break.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Actually, lecithin is mostly phospholipids, so the acid doesn't negatively affect the emulsion process. Whole eggs and mustard is the answer. I've made hundreds of gallons of mayo during my lifetime!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

yes posted:

Actually, lecithin is mostly phospholipids, so the acid doesn't negatively affect the emulsion process. Whole eggs and mustard is the answer. I've made hundreds of gallons of mayo during my lifetime!

Well then, color me informed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife made a beef & squash stew but it's too tart. What can I add to counter that?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

wormil posted:

My wife made a beef & squash stew but it's too tart. What can I add to counter that?

Sweets. Either sugar, if you're in a rush, or lots of caramelized onions, if you're not. Sweet fortified wines would work too, depending on what you have on hand.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Needs butter or olive oil, a splash of sherry and a bit of lemon juice.
Duh on the fat (but I should've mentioned that I use olive oil), will definitely try sherry and lemon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Duh on the fat (but I should've mentioned that I use olive oil), will definitely try sherry and lemon.

Just letting you know, this is basically what you'll be making.
http://www.spain-recipes.com/ajillo-mushrooms.html

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pnumoman posted:

Sweets. Either sugar, if you're in a rush, or lots of caramelized onions, if you're not. Sweet fortified wines would work too, depending on what you have on hand.

Thanks, I ended up using brown sugar. She was supposed to add wine to recipe but didn't have any and used vinegar instead :?: and she used a whole jar of sun dried tomatoes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hahahah your wife sounds awesome.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

wormil posted:

Salt and butter and a little sugar.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

yes posted:

I love this.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

wormil posted:

Thanks, I ended up using brown sugar. She was supposed to add wine to recipe but didn't have any and used vinegar instead :?: and she used a whole jar of sun dried tomatoes.
You are married to my wife. Either that or she has a long-lost sister or clone somewhere. God help us.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just letting you know, this is basically what you'll be making.
http://www.spain-recipes.com/ajillo-mushrooms.html
Basically made this. The lemon juice I used was from concentrate and wound up being too acidic--fresh lemons or champagne vinegar next time. Otherwise, was delicious. Mother in law is off sinking her retirement into a slot machine and my wife isn't feeling well, so I basically ate the whole batch of garlicky mushrooms myself. And I count myself better for it. (Well I shared some with my daughter--we're both better for it.)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Is there a good book that teaches basic/advanced cooking techniques and terms? I like cooking but sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I read a recipe book.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I'd suggest lurking around here a lot, and reading wikis on words you don't recognize. There's also a ton of youtube videos on basic stuff like how to dice an onion, how to peel garlic, etc. And ask questions! Don't know what exactly "sweating" foods entails? Ask! I've learned a ton, and that's exactly what I've done. :)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Kuros posted:

Is there a good book that teaches basic/advanced cooking techniques and terms? I like cooking but sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I read a recipe book.

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.

It's good for basics, but a lot of his flavour profiles are way off.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What exactly is a simmer? I know it is "less than boiling" but in practice I find it somewhat difficult to gauge. Should bubbles be forming but not rising to the top?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Kuros posted:

The best thing for beginning cooks is to study techniques, not recipes. Read Norman Weinstein's Mastering Knife Skills book to figure out how to chop up everything. Veggies like potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions are cheap, and you can get a lot of inexpensive practice in trying to get uniform pieces customized for whatever you need to cook.

Then, instead of focusing on a soup, read Alton Brown or Mark Bittman to learn how to make a stock. Then learn your sauces. Then start studying ways to prepare meat: searing, roasting, braising, sautéing, etc. Pretty soon you'll figure out how to start putting the pieces together. Look at idiot-proof but delicious classics like bœuf bourguignon and coq au vin and pot au feu and navarin d'agneu. They sound fancy but are pretty simple and involve amazing flavor combinations. Plus you'll get good practice hacking up a chuck roast, a chicken, and a lamb shoulder, plus all the various veggies involved.

Gazpacho is a fun dish to make, though we're at the end of the tomato season. It requires that you cut up a lot of different herbs and vegetables in different ways, you get to skin and core tomatoes, and then you have to learn to wait until the second day to truly enjoy it.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Chard posted:

What exactly is a simmer? I know it is "less than boiling" but in practice I find it somewhat difficult to gauge. Should bubbles be forming but not rising to the top?

Bubbles should be as few as possible while still being active.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Does anybody have a good, Lebanese falafel recipe? Last weekend, I went to a festival and there was a food booth set up by the local Lebanese Catholic church serving authentic Lebanese food. I had a falafel and I swear it was the best drat falafel I have ever had.

In addition, the bread they served it on was extremely flat, like a tortilla. But I cannot find out what the name of it is. Wikipedia suggests that it is Taboon bread, because the top-most image is exactly what I ate. All of the recipes I find online for this make Taboon bread seem lightly leavened. Does anyone have any insights?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It is leavened. That's one of the things that makes it taste good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Why is the smoking thread closed, and is there a replacement thread for smoking/bbq? I looked around and didn't see one.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dear GWS, I simultaneously love and hate you today. You convinced me that chicken thighs are way better than breasts if I simply have to eat boneless, skinless versions. Before I did not know that I was eating terrible dry poo poo. Before I thought chicken thighs were kind of gross tasting. Now here I am, having successfully made coconut milk curry with peas and onions, sincerely regretting having ever bought chicken breasts and definitely regretting putting them in this awesome-tasting curry. God drat are these ruining my meal.

So, I think I've now eaten all remaining chicken breast in my house with this meal. But just in case I'm hungry one day and all there is is chicken breast, is there anything on earth I can do to make it not suck?

On a related note: How is coconut milk so freaking awesome? I was under the impression that I thought coconut things were pretty mediocre. I tried a taste out of curiosity and almost drank the whole can.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Hawkgirl posted:

So, I think I've now eaten all remaining chicken breast in my house with this meal. But just in case I'm hungry one day and all there is is chicken breast, is there anything on earth I can do to make it not suck?

Yep, just don't overcook it. Get an instant read thermometer, and pull it off the heat when it gets to 160F.

You could also sear it at a high heat at the very beginning of cooking to give it a nice browned colour / flavour.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hawkgirl posted:

...all there is is chicken breast, is there anything on earth I can do to make it not suck?

Don't over cook them. Here is how I prepare mine and people often comment they never knew they could be so juicy.

Starting with a boneless breast...
*cut off the tender (optional)
*slice through the breast horizontally so that the main piece is equal thickness
This will leave you with either 2 or 3 pieces. I usually marinate the tenders and small cut-offs and have them the next day.
*salt, pepper & olive oil the main breast (other seasonings are optional)
*saute in a hot skillet until they feel like rubber when picked up by the end with tongs. This sound unappetizing but if you cook them until stiff they will be dry.
*let sit for 5+ minutes
*eat

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Hawkgirl posted:

Dear GWS, I simultaneously love and hate you today. You convinced me that chicken thighs are way better than breasts if I simply have to eat boneless, skinless versions. Before I did not know that I was eating terrible dry poo poo. Before I thought chicken thighs were kind of gross tasting. Now here I am, having successfully made coconut milk curry with peas and onions, sincerely regretting having ever bought chicken breasts and definitely regretting putting them in this awesome-tasting curry. God drat are these ruining my meal.

On a related note: How is coconut milk so freaking awesome? I was under the impression that I thought coconut things were pretty mediocre. I tried a taste out of curiosity and almost drank the whole can.
In the case of curries, slice the chicken into bite size pieces of the same general dimensions, bring your sauce to a boil, stir in the chicken, bring it back to a boil then kill the fire and let the residual heat cook the protein.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hawkgirl posted:

On a related note: How is coconut milk so freaking awesome?

1 Tbsp Coconut Milk = Saturated Fat 3.2g (16% Daily Value)

I'm not saying that it isn't delicious, or that you shouldn't use it, but be aware that it tastes good because it's bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Chard posted:

1 Tbsp Coconut Milk = Saturated Fat 3.2g (16% Daily Value)

I'm not saying that it isn't delicious, or that you shouldn't use it, but be aware that it tastes good because it's bad for you.

It's not bad for you. I wish people wouldn't perpetuate the whole "only things that are bad for you taste good." In reality, there isn't really any "bad for you" food outside of modern industrialized nonsense.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!