Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Holier than Thou posted:

Also found this video of a sleeptalking shiba in the feel good thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kIJqXLMLwc

The little howl at 0:19 is fantastic.
Oh my god, those little trills and howls :3: Shibas are such cute littles assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey

Tendai posted:

Oh my god, those little trills and howls :3: Shibas are such cute littles assholes.

Only up till they do their shiba scream. We had to bathe ours last night after he decided to wrestle our other dog in the yard. I thought my ears were going to bleed. :(
.. He did not enjoy it, and he made sure noone else did either. ;)

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey
My wife reminded of of this incident, which perfectly shows our shibas personality.

Picture the scene. My wife and I having just completed a rather long walk with Sasuke, culminating at the top of a picturesque hill in central Scotland, where I decide its time for lunch. I eagerly open up my sandwiches, whilst the wife takes photos of the view. Very tasty sandwiches by the way. The wife catches my eye, pointing out a landmark of some sort. I look over.

Suddenly, a shiba-sized thief steals my sandwich, gulps it down, and looks up at me for more. Hmmmph. Can't blame him too much, they were quite tasty after the long walk....

Typically the wife catches it with her camera rather than actually warning me.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Our shiba has no shame when it comes to food either. I think it's mostly due to her being spoiled though. :)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Sitka is now one year old and old enough to start doing weight pull. Also old enough that she has ALLLLLL the energy. All of it.

Have some pictures:
waiting patiently for walk time

finally a tired dog after run + play time in the yard

bestest of best friends

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
So how well would a Shiba do in an apartment setting? I know they're pretty small but I worry about the Shiba scream. :ohdear:
And how non-affectionate are we talking here? I don't mind cat-like behavior but I at least want to feel appreciated.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A few more brief moments of a stationary Nikita caught on film.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

^^^ :3: I want to poke dat lip.

Dancingthroughlife posted:

So how well would a Shiba do in an apartment setting? I know they're pretty small but I worry about the Shiba scream. :ohdear:
And how non-affectionate are we talking here? I don't mind cat-like behavior but I at least want to feel appreciated.

Shibas are awesome apartment dogs. There's a reason why they're the most popular and most registered breed in space at a premium Japan every year. ;) I just moved into a larger apartment, but we lived in a 700 sqft place up until about a month ago with Koji plus whatever fosters wandered our way.

You'll only hear the scream if something is extremely unpleasant (bath/nail trims...) or sometimes some Shibas will scream or yodel when they're really excited or happy. Koji makes a lot of stupid noise sometimes, but even my neighbors didn't know I had a dog until I walked him (could have been we just had thick walls, but even so.)

And the affection depends on the dog, really. Koji likes to be near me, in fact he just followed me into the office from his cozy spot on the bed because he wants to be in the same room, but snuggles and cuddles are omgembarassingstop! Some Shibas like snuggling, but I've noticed it's more of a sticking by you, always observing, lean on you for pets instead of "OH GOD LOVE ME, DO YOU LOVE ME? BECAUSE I WAS HIDING UNDER THE PORCH BECAUSE I LOVE YOU" :qq:

If you are looking for a dog to lavish you with attention and love, chances are Shibas aren't for you. I did just have a foster that LOVED people, but even he would calm down and cuddle off by himself for some me time. I mean, they really are like cats in that they love you, but try to act like they can live without you.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
There is a couple in my neighborhood who owns three Tibetan mastiffs and two Pomeranians. I cannot imagine how they manage it. The male Pom's name is also something ridiculous and masculine, like Hercules or Giganto. It's great.

The mastiffs are quite chill. I met them at first a few years ago when they had two, a dark-colored adult and a red puppy. The red puppy is now grown and they have a white puppy, who is about 6 months old. I think they might show, but I know they're at least actively involved in the show community. I've gotta get pics of these pups the next time I see them at the park. :)

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

paisleyfox posted:

^^^ :3: I want to poke dat lip.

Shibas are awesome apartment dogs. There's a reason why they're the most popular and most registered breed in space at a premium Japan every year. ;) I just moved into a larger apartment, but we lived in a 700 sqft place up until about a month ago with Koji plus whatever fosters wandered our way.

You'll only hear the scream if something is extremely unpleasant (bath/nail trims...) or sometimes some Shibas will scream or yodel when they're really excited or happy. Koji makes a lot of stupid noise sometimes, but even my neighbors didn't know I had a dog until I walked him (could have been we just had thick walls, but even so.)

And the affection depends on the dog, really. Koji likes to be near me, in fact he just followed me into the office from his cozy spot on the bed because he wants to be in the same room, but snuggles and cuddles are omgembarassingstop! Some Shibas like snuggling, but I've noticed it's more of a sticking by you, always observing, lean on you for pets instead of "OH GOD LOVE ME, DO YOU LOVE ME? BECAUSE I WAS HIDING UNDER THE PORCH BECAUSE I LOVE YOU" :qq:

If you are looking for a dog to lavish you with attention and love, chances are Shibas aren't for you. I did just have a foster that LOVED people, but even he would calm down and cuddle off by himself for some me time. I mean, they really are like cats in that they love you, but try to act like they can live without you.

:) Thanks PFox. I think my husband would really like the cat like behavior as the best dog breed to him is a cat. They are incredibly gorgeous dogs.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Citizen Rat posted:

Sitka is now one year old and old enough to start doing weight pull. Also old enough that she has ALLLLLL the energy. All of it.

Have some pictures:
waiting patiently for walk time

finally a tired dog after run + play time in the yard

bestest of best friends

Aw I miss my mom s old malamute. it went aawawawabrakawawa

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

:) Thanks PFox. I think my husband would really like the cat like behavior as the best dog breed to him is a cat. They are incredibly gorgeous dogs.

Don't forget Basenjis if you would like a smaller primitive dog with a tidy appearance and a huge (and cat-like) personality. I only really meet them at trials and shows, but some of them are real lovers and some of them just brush against you like cats, but want to be near you. (And then, some of them are just little shits, but that's true in all breeds!) Less hair than Shibas (though, of course, Shibas as are special brand of awesome) :)
Oh, yes, no barking, but lots of weird vocals, and screaming too.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

badmomrising posted:

Don't forget Basenjis if you would like a smaller primitive dog with a tidy appearance and a huge (and cat-like) personality. I only really meet them at trials and shows, but some of them are real lovers and some of them just brush against you like cats, but want to be near you. (And then, some of them are just little shits, but that's true in all breeds!) Less hair than Shibas (though, of course, Shibas as are special brand of awesome) :)
Oh, yes, no barking, but lots of weird vocals, and screaming too.

Seriously! I love Basenjis! There's one that comes round the dog park alot and she's just the best little thing. The really short coat throws me off, but I'd totally own one o dem crazy dogs. :3: Plus, they come in brindle, which I think is one of the prettiest coat patterns on any dog.

Also, I can't believe I missed that, Sitka's already a year old?! Where did the time go! :aaa:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

paisleyfox posted:

Also, I can't believe I missed that, Sitka's already a year old?! Where did the time go! :aaa:

I knowwww. She's so prettyyyyy :3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Shibas differ from cats in one area though, never snuggle ever. :)

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Shibas differ from cats in one area though, never snuggle ever. :)

Ours does snuggles up on the couch when I'm watching tv occasionally. Only with me though, never with the wife. Which is odd, given he only (sometimes) obeys her.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I've noticed the older they get, the more complacent they are in sharing furniture with you. My friend's 8 year old didn't start to snuggle until well after he was 5, and Koji is starting to help himself onto the couch on the opposite end or in bed sometimes, but only if there is only one person there and never for long. He knows three is a crowd, apparently.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
How do Shibas do with cats, considering they're a primitive breed? Do they have a high prey drive?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

How do Shibas do with cats, considering they're a primitive breed? Do they have a high prey drive?

They have an extremely high prey drive, and a lot don't do well with cats, unfortunately. But I know a lot of people who have both cats and Shibas and they do just fine, so I mean, every dog is different. The last foster I had was extremely dog aggressive (woo crate and rotate) but had no problem with a stray kitten stalking his face even though he wanted to chase all the squirrels and all the cars. v:shobon:v

We tell adopters if they have cats (and we usually try to test the dog around cats before adopting to a cat household first) to make sure they can not only stand up for themselves because the dog will want to play with the cat, as well as having places for the cat to climb up safely and have dog free zones, at least while they all adjust to each other.

Mine is extremely annoying with the cats and keeps barking in their faces to try and make them play with him, and that just ends up with a miffed cat. :downs: He wouldn't hurt them, but they don't exactly appreciate it.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Our shiba is much like pfox's, never tried to kill our cat but never left him alone either. Constantly wanted to play with the old as hell cat that didn't want to be bothered. Elsa didn't like stairs back then so at least the cat had a safe haven on the upper floor and in the basement.

Sometimes they got along though, after enough paws to the face I guess.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
We went to the dogpark with my aunt who has an awesome camera so it's Moxie photodump time!

Did you say dogpark?

Please let's go now

Moxie why are you so oddly shaped?

Full retard mode on. This picture makes me laugh every time.

RUN AND PLAY AND RUN

Also Moxie is a doof

She's a bit large for it, but I'm fairly certain she is a shiba mix. Here she is by me for size comparison. She's about 37 pounds.

And she gets along well with our cat. She will try to play but except for a 1-2 week period where she would play too rough she is reliable about playing gently and not scaring the cat too much. She has also gotten much better at cuddling in the year we've had her. Now she will cuddle with me at night and she lays under my legs on the couch (another reason she is in no way 100% shiba)

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Why are Shibas so pretty? :(
I'm pretty sure my cats can handle themselves, but I'd hate to put undue stress on them if I don't have to. I'll still be watching the shelters for Shibas but they won't be the only breed I'm watching for. Thanks for the advice guys and give your pretty dogs a hug for me. :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Oh wow, I thought Moxie was bigger than that. She's "Shiba enough" that our rescue would have totally picked her up if she needed it. ;) I can't tell what else, but Mox sure is a pretty girl.

Dancingthroughlife, whereabouts do you live? Just a state is fine, but I can point you to a Shiba Rescue if you'd like to even just talk to them. The ones I'm most involved with (besides mine) are listed on the Shiba post but there are several others I'm just not networked with, but I do know about them. What I like best about rescue (and how I got my dog) is they come fully vetted, usually give you a trial adoption period with no strings attached, and they should know the personalities of each dog before they go home, so they'd be able to find you one at an energy level, animal tolerance, age and even color you want.

Koji groaned at your requested hug. So I did it again and played him like grunty bagpipes.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I'm in Colorado, thank you very much Pfox. :)
Koji :3:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

I know! And I think she just had a growth spurt. She's been hiccuping like crazy and she's suddenly all gangly legs and can't seem to figure out where her butt is. It's pretty funny.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Citizen Rat posted:

she's suddenly all gangly legs and can't seem to figure out where her butt is.

I think we need photographic evidence of this

Sitka :swoon:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I'm in Colorado, thank you very much Pfox. :)
Koji :3:

Awesome! Shiba Scout Rescue is also in CO!

http://www.shibascoutrescue.com/

Also, sometimes Shiba Rescue of TX (me :3:) and Saving Shibas in CA will adopt out of state when we can arrange proper transport.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

paisleyfox posted:

Oh wow, I thought Moxie was bigger than that. She's "Shiba enough" that our rescue would have totally picked her up if she needed it. ;) I can't tell what else, but Mox sure is a pretty girl.

I feel like she's bigger than that too, but then we get around other dogs and she is in the smaller range and not quite as large as most of the labby and pitty mixes that frequent my dog park. Once there was a full shiba though and we went into the small dog area to let them play. He was like half her size and it was adorable. She really is like a stretched out shiba. I'm not sure what gave her the size and gangly legs.

When people ask what she is I just say "sheltermutt" or "probably part husky" if they are insistent. I don't want anyone going out and buying a shiba puppy from some sketch breeder just because they thought Moxie was pretty.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I only now noticed this thread existed! Ive already posted pics of our low content wolfdog here, but I just found some puppy pics from summer.

1-2 month old

From the same time, playing with my sister's six year old Rottweiler-Lab mix.

Five months old, the guy is already bigger than my sister's dog. And he keeps growing :3 He is still a big baby lapdog though.

I really like hiking with him in the forests. He will go after smells and run away for a while, but he will usually either wait for me, or run to me to check Im still around. He gets along with other dogs pretty great aswell, but I think that might come to change when he gets older, so I'll keep taking him to the dog park, at least to make sure he gets used to other dogs aswell.

Though its kinda awkward when people ask me if he is a White GSD and I tell them he's a hybrid and they quietly take their dogs away.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

paisleyfox posted:

Also, sometimes Shiba Rescue of TX (me :3:) and Saving Shibas in CA will adopt out of state when we can arrange proper transport.
:) Thank you very much, I'll check them out.
I'm already in love with Aki. :3:

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 22, 2011

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I hipe it's okay to post my parents' dog here. :ohdear: Reading through this thread has made me miss him terribly, and I haven't seen him in ages.

This is Jasu, a Finnish Lapphund:

He turns 14 in December.
A bigger dog didn't like Jasu wooing on his lady and it ended with one eared Jasu. Thankfully he doesn't seem too phased about it.

Bonus Jack Russell. Jasu is performing his "give me food human I got no time for stupid tricks!!" howl.

He is the best dog.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I think we have one of those bizarre "Mameshibas" in rescue, oh god....
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21165317?rvp=1

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

paisleyfox posted:

Shiba Rescue of TX also helped me rescue my pup Mona from New Mexico. She is now happily a Texas Shiba :).

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have experiences with Alaskan Klee Kais and can recommend a good breeder in the tri-state area? I want to get one as a running buddy.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

I think we have one of those bizarre "Mameshibas" in rescue, oh god....
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21165317?rvp=1

Hahaha, looks like a chi/Shiba mix. That face is pretty cute and those ears are riddonkulous. :3:

nolen posted:

omnomnom

:neckbeard: I just shared this with Bryan and another volunteer, we love this!

KidDynamite posted:

Klee Kai

Where exactly is the TriState area anyway? :confused: I think there are a few "tri states" aren't there?

Also, aren't Klees just like, Husky Eskie mixes? I'm not sure how long you want to jog for, but a full on Husky might be better for a jogging buddy. I haven't met many dogs that size that would be able to go for really long jogs. Hikes, sure, but jogs probably not so much. I don't know any breeders for them, since i think they are still sort of a new novelty breed. They also seem to have quite a few health issues for a relatively new breed...

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

paisleyfox posted:

Also, aren't Klees just like, Husky Eskie mixes? I'm not sure how long you want to jog for, but a full on Husky might be better for a jogging buddy. I haven't met many dogs that size that would be able to go for really long jogs. Hikes, sure, but jogs probably not so much. I don't know any breeders for them, since i think they are still sort of a new novelty breed. They also seem to have quite a few health issues for a relatively new breed...

Wikipedia says Husky/Eskie/Schipperke, if you can believe it. The extra curly tail does seem to indicate huskies bred with something more assholish. :D If they're anything like my (lazyass) Eskie, then jogging won't really be in the cards. Psyche is a sprinter, she'll run all over in short bursts, but sometimes she doesn't even want to walk for more than five minutes unless something interesting is up ahead.

Of course, I hate jogging too, so maybe she just takes after her (lazyass) owner.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

As far as I understand, they aren't as much a breed as they are ~*~*minihuskies*~*~, but I haven't done much reading about them so I could be wrong. Chances are you won't really find a "good" breeder for them. Your best bet is to look for one that at least health tests, but as far as showing etc I have no idea.

rivals fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 26, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

My mother-in-law owns a dog that could easily pass as a Klee, although she was picked up in a shelter in DFW as a 8 month old puppy. Fray's the sterotypical rear end in a top hat primitive breed dog. Kills rabbits and cats that wander into the yard. She nearly maimed a service guy last year for coming into the yard when my in-laws weren't right there. Starts bullshit and tries to boss around all other dogs. And super loving cute.

I was curious about the breed because Fray really looks just like a mini-Husky or Klee Kai, so I decided to research the breed. I wasn't particularly impressed with their breed club or history. As far as finding a good breeder, I honestly don't think it's much of a real breed, and even the more reputable breeders seemed to only have the thinnest reasoning for why the breed needed to be developed in the first place. Sure Huskies are pretty nice looking dogs, but I don't see why there needs to be a miniature version just because they'd be cute. Regardless, start with the breed club's breeder list: http://www.akkaoa.org/breedersdirectory.htm They're more likely to at least be health testing and have some standards for responsible breeding practices.

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 26, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That is a much more well worded way of saying what I wanted to say :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
Figured I'd put up a couple new pictures of Ben.

Ben decided to show some teeth while sleeping today.

Claiming a rock for his own in the park a week or two ago

Huskyball.

We're just a couple weeks away from his neutering date, poor guy. He's just under 5 months old and close to 40 pounds, so we're expecting him to be a pretty big boy when he's fully grown.

riht fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 28, 2011

• Locked thread