Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dbeatles34
Jan 7, 2004
Dr. Sammy G
Has anybody actually gotten the six free months of premium to work? I signed up through facebook and only got 48 hours. Spotify wants a credit card for anything past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

chime_on posted:

question for those who subscribe: does this open up the ability to play certain tracks that are greyed out on albums? I've noticed with a lot of jazz stuff on the Impulse label that only 1 or 2 tracks per album will actually be available to listen to. Just wondering if $4.99 a month would let me hear the entirety of Coltrane's Kulu Sé Mama, for example.

I guess it's worth mentioning for jazz fans that many Impulse releases are now available in their entirety, including Kulu Sé Mama and several other classic Coltrane albums.

Naturally they could be gone tomorrow.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter287 posted:

So apparently Spotify is offering 6 months of premium free for new signups. Anyone know if there's a way to cash in on that if you've already signed up for premium?

Dbeatles34 posted:

Has anybody actually gotten the six free months of premium to work? I signed up through facebook and only got 48 hours.

You don't get "6 months free Premium", you get 6 months with no listening limits (hours per month and plays per track) for new accounts. It's still with ads, and with none of the premium features.

The 48-hour thing is the trial you can get for mobile, which is one of the things you get if you buy premium.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
What the gently caress is wrong with Spotify. All of a sudden it is posting the songs that I am listetning to on Facebook. I doubt my friends want 100s of news updates regarding what I listen to. All this Spotify is doing automaticly, and not even asking me. The latter is the kind of crap that almost makes my blood boil. At the same time I sometimes like sending individual songs to facebook connected friends, so disconnecting facebook entirely is not something I want to do either.

I tried doing what this site says to do to fix the problem, but it aint working!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's a Facebook (timeline?)/Spotify thing. It's "working as intended".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yes, this is Facebook's integration with Spotify which is their answer to Google music, iTunes, and anything else they deem competition.

Basically, Facebook is doing away with the "like" button and replacing it with a feature wherein anything can be a button/action. For example the Washington Post released a new app taking advantage of this feature where any time you click on an article you have "Read" that article (even though you didn't click a "Read" button - you just go to the article itself like any normal news site) which means "Joe Shmoe read Blah Blah Blah on the Washington Post" shows up in your news feed and in the news ticker for all your friends.

Spotify is using this same feature - listening to a track within Spotify now reads as "Listening" to a track using this new API. Unfortunately it looks like they have launched that full integration without launching the appropriate customization features for either Spotify itself or for the news ticker. I'm sure they will fix it once the 2 billionth complaint comes in.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Man, Facebook is poo poo. Thank god I didn't link it. Actually, is there any way to remove the Spotify prompt nagging me to?

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Seems FB is the only way to sign up anymore, too.
http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/can_you_sign_up_for_spotify_without_facebook

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, if you're logged out of facebook and go to the sign up page, it will tell you that you need a facebook account to sign up. The latest update also put really annoying white "share on facebook" boxes in front of every track name. My account isn't even linked to facebook in any way.

Spotify needs some competitors now because I'm switching as soon as one appears somewhere.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Undead Zombie posted:

Yeah, if you're logged out of facebook and go to the sign up page, it will tell you that you need a facebook account to sign up. The latest update also put really annoying white "share on facebook" boxes in front of every track name. My account isn't even linked to facebook in any way.

Spotify needs some competitors now because I'm switching as soon as one appears somewhere.

There are, like, 5 of them already. Unless you're out of the United States (sorry for presuming).

I really like Spotify, but I'm literally gobsmacked at how they've managed to self-identify as groundbreaking when it comes to on-demand streaming.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

What's the song in the Cheer commercial with the singer with the Scottish (I think) accent?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Modern Leper posted:

I really like Spotify, but I'm literally gobsmacked at how they've managed to self-identify as groundbreaking when it comes to on-demand streaming.

Seriously. Grooveshark does everything Spotify does.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
None of them should be really given credit as being groundbreaking though (well, Grooveshark should be given credit for having a groundbreakingly stupid business concept to start with and then turning it around to something less stupid), the technical issues aren't really that big a deal compared to the issues of licensing (and it seems like that's still a constant battle)

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

There are, like, 5 of them already. Unless you're out of the United States (sorry for presuming).

Yes, I am outside the USA. This is why Spotify claims to be groundbreaking - all those drat services keep restricting themselves to Americans.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've Googled the hell out of this... if I could resolve this, I would pretty much dive headfirst into Spotify. Has anyone figured out a reason/solution for Spotify arbitrarily dividing albums from your local library?

I have everything tagged with Musicbrainz, which I can accept may be screwing up things in some situations (featured artists in title, for example). Still, that doesn't seem to be the consistent source of the issue. I've tried to retag some albums, but it doesn't seem to consistently fix the problem. Basically, nothing is consistent about it, and it's driving me up the wall.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 29, 2011

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Twiin posted:

Can anyone host/post the (free) Spotify Android app? I'm not in the US, so it won't let me download it from the market.

Download the "market enabler" app from the market, I've heard this works.

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

Tre Past Cool! posted:

What's the song in the Cheer commercial with the singer with the Scottish (I think) accent?

Is this what you are thinking of?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Yes, thank you.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

I've Googled the hell out of this... if I could resolve this, I would pretty much dive headfirst into Spotify. Has anyone figured out a reason/solution for Spotify arbitrarily dividing albums from your local library?

I have everything tagged with Musicbrainz, which I can accept may be screwing up things in some situations (featured artists in title, for example). Still, that doesn't seem to be the consistent source of the issue. I've tried to retag some albums, but it doesn't seem to consistently fix the problem. Basically, nothing is consistent about it, and it's driving me up the wall.

I'm not sure but I think it's just getting conflicting metadata or something from the Spotify database. Maybe try right clicking + "Unlink Tracks",

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

slowdave posted:

I'm not sure but I think it's just getting conflicting metadata or something from the Spotify database. Maybe try right clicking + "Unlink Tracks",

That... works? I'm not sure. It looks as though it pulls it out of the Spotify "system," which makes the tags appear proplery It wouldn't be so bad if there were some rhyme or reason to how the linking/recognition process works.

Nuts to this: the thing works fine for free streaming. I'll just stick to Mediamonkey for the rest.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I signed up for Spotify very recently and with my Facebook account and it hasn't been posting all my songs on the timeline like everyone says it has been.

I have to say, I've been really loving Spotify, I just wish it was easier to find new artists on it than just the "What's New" and "Top Lists" sections.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

QueerPope posted:

I have to say, I've been really loving Spotify, I just wish it was easier to find new artists on it than just the "What's New" and "Top Lists" sections.

Same here. I've been asking friends who're signed up with it to link me new stuff to try, but I've been listening to tons of stuff I already knew about. Good for nostalgia I guess.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

QueerPope posted:

That's what playlists are for.

http://sharemyplaylists.com/ This site is the most popular playlist search site. (Why doesn't spotify have its own playlist search?) Try searching by genre, artist, time period, etc.

http://digster.fm/playlists/ This site is full of "professional" playlists. It has playlists for specific genres, some based on publications (Paste Magazine, Rolling Stone, Spin, IGN) and even, and even festivals (Austin City Limits, Pitchfork Fest, Bonnaroo, Coachella).

There's also a separate thread for playlists right here. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427822

het or Earwicker: would it be better if there was just one Spotify thread now that the invite codes aren't a thing anymore?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Pas2 posted:

I guess it's worth mentioning for jazz fans that many Impulse releases are now available in their entirety, including Kulu Sé Mama and several other classic Coltrane albums.

Naturally they could be gone tomorrow.

I got pretty hyped when I saw this post, but then I checked and only "Welcome" is available from that album...?

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Being from Australia I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to get a friend in the UK to pay for my subscription and then just leave it on travel mode or however it works (premium account) so that I don't have to bother with a VPN.

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

chime_on posted:

I got pretty hyped when I saw this post, but then I checked and only "Welcome" is available from that album...?

Hmh. Must be a country or premium thing then.

For a Finnish premium member it's still available in three different ways even with no tracks missing, a three track version (like the original LP version), a 6 track version (like the CD reissue) and as part of The Impulse! Albums: Volume Three set.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Could anyone offer any suggestions as to why listening to Spotify songs though Facebook doesn't work for me? When I click the play button next to a track in Facebook, I get a little pop-up saying that Spotify need to be open (whether I currently have it open or not). If I click Open Spotify, I get a dialog from my browser (I've tried it in all browsers) saying that the webpage wants to launch Spotify. When I allow that, Spotify either launches (if it was closed), or flashes in the taskbar and comes to the front (if it was open), but doesn't play any music in either case.

It's a minor inconvenience, but I've looked at both Facebook and Spotify's help pages, and thoroughly googled the situation, but I couldn't find anyone reporting the same problem.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I'm really hoping that Spotify gets rid of the facebook requirement, that's the one last thing from stopping me from signing up.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

I'm really hoping that Spotify gets rid of the facebook requirement, that's the one last thing from stopping me from signing up.

Someone will have to confirm/deny this since I made it in right before they made it a requirement, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't just sign up using a throwaway Facebook account and unlink them as soon as you're signed up.

At any rate I'm hoping that's the case. I'm thinking about closing my Facebook account and it'd be a real pain if they decided to require existing users to maintain one.

Edit: And Christ, I'd kill a guy for the opportunity to strip all those stupid "link to Facebook" icons they have plastered all over everything now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Why don't you just create a throwaway Facebook account and not unlink it? It's not like it requires a lot of ongoing maintenance. Make a new gmail address, make a new Facebook account attached to that gmail address, sign up for Spotify with that Facebook account, and you're done.

You won't be able to use any of the social features of course but if you don't like Facebook you probably wouldn't want to anyway.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Sf0rzando posted:

Could anyone offer any suggestions as to why listening to Spotify songs though Facebook doesn't work for me?

There have been a few bugs in that functionality, lots of which have been fixed. There have also been cases where one had to delete the client binary and download a new one, not sure if that still is the case with the later ones. In any case, if stuff still is broken, here is where lots of support goes on.

Meldonox posted:

Someone will have to confirm/deny this since I made it in right before they made it a requirement, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't just sign up using a throwaway Facebook account and unlink them as soon as you're signed up.

Not so sure if you actually can disconnect, since you actually use your Facebook credentials to sign in to Spotify. I also have an older account where I have a "disconnect from Facebook" option in preferences, not sure if it still exists with newer accounts. Might not.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This might be a bit of an obscure question but I've just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10. Even though VLC and Banshee can play mp3 files, Spotify is refusing to play any of my local mp3 files. I'm using the Spotify for Linux Preview version. Anyone have any fixes for this?

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Montalvo posted:

This might be a bit of an obscure question but I've just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10. Even though VLC and Banshee can play mp3 files, Spotify is refusing to play any of my local mp3 files. I'm using the Spotify for Linux Preview version. Anyone have any fixes for this?

Maybe not very useful for you, but I remember having the same problem under Kubuntu. The fix was simply to use GStreamer instead of Xine as backend for Phonon.
You should probably verify too if all plugins are installed for gstreamer, even those marked as ugly.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I just installed and signed up to Spotify at the recommendation of a friend. It's my first experience with on-demand streaming music, and I'm quite frankly mortified by the following:

1) No ability to browse genres. I need to open a Google Document in some obscure location online to even get a list of all available genres-
2) Very poor search matching. When I search for "genre:house", it suggest The Pussycat Dolls, Pet Shop Boys, Blondie, Sade, Amin van Buuren, Erasure, among others.
3) Very limited search matches. It only shows 20ish artists in the top, around 10 albums (with the ... at the end), with no? option to expand to full view. If I sort the result list by artist, it refuses to expand when I scroll to the bottom-
4) No public, searchable database of playlists to get inspired. At least not available from the client.
5) The "radio" feature - What the heck is this? It's just albums, poor matches with the tags you filter by, and I can't even scroll sideways to view more results.
6) Poor client - no global hotkeys to control playback.

Am I missing something here? It seems to be built around picking an artist and link-hopping from there, but I'd primarily like a huge list of content within a certain genre.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Addressing the ones I know:

3) Keep scrolling down the search results list first and it'll pull up more tracks until it pulls them all up, and then sort by artist. Kind of funky, I know, but it works.
4) I don't think this has been mentioned in a few pages, but ShareMyPlaylists.com has playlists hand-rolled by Spotify users, while Spotibot.com uses last.fm data to generate a list using a favorite artist as a jumping-off point.

Jefferson Q. Alias
Oct 15, 2010

Caedes posted:

Being from Australia I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to get a friend in the UK to pay for my subscription and then just leave it on travel mode or however it works (premium account) so that I don't have to bother with a VPN.
A friend in the US does this for me, in Canada, so most definitely. Prior to that I had a few Swedish amigos log into the account every three weeks or whatever.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Picardy Beet posted:

Maybe not very useful for you, but I remember having the same problem under Kubuntu. The fix was simply to use GStreamer instead of Xine as backend for Phonon.
You should probably verify too if all plugins are installed for gstreamer, even those marked as ugly.

I have no idea what you just typed but I'll Google some of those words and see what comes out. Thanks!

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Why does Spotify give you the option to sync with iPod but it doesn't sync the music you've added from Spotify onto the iPod? It seems to only sync local files, or files I have hard copies of on the computer.. so really, what is the point? I have all this music in Spotify that I can't do poo poo with except listen to it on the laptop, and I can't hook my laptop up to the stereo in my car like I can with my iPod.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

Why does Spotify give you the option to sync with iPod but it doesn't sync the music you've added from Spotify onto the iPod? It seems to only sync local files, or files I have hard copies of on the computer.. so really, what is the point? I have all this music in Spotify that I can't do poo poo with except listen to it on the laptop, and I can't hook my laptop up to the stereo in my car like I can with my iPod.

For stuff you got in local files, it just acts as an "mp3 manager", moving your files back and forth. But to put normal "spotify songs" on your iPod, it would basically have to give you an unencrypted mp3, which they can't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Pilsner posted:

I just installed and signed up to Spotify at the recommendation of a friend. It's my first experience with on-demand streaming music, and I'm quite frankly mortified by the following:

1) No ability to browse genres. I need to open a Google Document in some obscure location online to even get a list of all available genres-
2) Very poor search matching. When I search for "genre:house", it suggest The Pussycat Dolls, Pet Shop Boys, Blondie, Sade, Amin van Buuren, Erasure, among others.
3) Very limited search matches. It only shows 20ish artists in the top, around 10 albums (with the ... at the end), with no? option to expand to full view. If I sort the result list by artist, it refuses to expand when I scroll to the bottom-
4) No public, searchable database of playlists to get inspired. At least not available from the client.
5) The "radio" feature - What the heck is this? It's just albums, poor matches with the tags you filter by, and I can't even scroll sideways to view more results.
6) Poor client - no global hotkeys to control playback.

Am I missing something here? It seems to be built around picking an artist and link-hopping from there, but I'd primarily like a huge list of content within a certain genre.

Maybe you need this:
http://eu.dummies.com/DummiesTitle/productCd-1119952344.html

• Locked thread