Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Beastruction posted:

never quite felt like spending that much on a camera with a cheap plastic lens.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lomo-Recesky-DIY-TLR-35mm-GakkenFlex-clone-NEW-/140509057386?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item20b6fe116a

16 bux dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Well, based on the sample pictures it would probably end up spending a lot of time on my shelf collecting dust, and I already have enough stuff doing that. The original Japanese magazine version would at least have something to turn it into a decent display but that's more like $60+ shipped.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Got up early today to mooch round a car boot sale/flea market and found some old geezer with 3 suitcases jammed full of old P&S cameras!

Picked 3 up for £5 (about 8 bux)

Halina Flash 350

Vivitar Ultra Slim & Wide

Pentax Pino 35

Gonna flip the Vivitar and he Halina on ebay and have a play with the pentax I think.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Well, based on the sample pictures it would probably end up spending a lot of time on my shelf collecting dust, and I already have enough stuff doing that. The original Japanese magazine version would at least have something to turn it into a decent display but that's more like $60+ shipped.

I live in Japan and came across it at a bookstore a few weeks ago, picked it up for about US$30. Haven't had time to put it together yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I wish I had packed my parts bin along, I have two Lomo LC-A lenses back home in the USA that would have been cool to swap in.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Went to a dance party on Saturday and for camera safety brought my Stylus, got some decent snaps. For $10 it's a much sharper image than what a digital point and shoot can pull off.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Went to a dance party on Saturday and for camera safety brought my Stylus, got some decent snaps. For $10 it's a much sharper image than what a digital point and shoot can pull off.

I shot a concert with a Stylus Epic and some Arista Premium:
http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2010/NinjaspyEndastWithout/13718217_ZpCRhF

My only grievance is that the camera would focus on the background about a quarter of the time.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Can anybody ID which camera took was used here and has that timestamp?

I asked one person who had a similar photo which looked like it had the same yellow timestamp and he said it was taken with an Olympus Stylus Zoom. To my knowledge there are many different versions of it but random flickr and internet searches have not been able to confirm. Anybody know which camera makes that timestamp?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I am so amazingly happy to have my Stylus back after it being gone (had mailed it to a friend as part of a failed Kodachrome project), I may never let it leave my side.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I don't think I ever posted these, all Canonet or XA/XA2:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

These three are awesome, That second one is framed perfectly with the horses.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

My Leica Minilux broke :( Any tips from fellow Leica users on repairing it?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

My Leica Minilux broke :( Any tips from fellow Leica users on repairing it?

Mine just broke too, got the infamous E02 error. From what I've read, this means the shutter is dead and it needs to go to Germany to be replaced. I'll probably end up doing that at some point.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

These three are awesome, That second one is framed perfectly with the horses.

Pretty proud of that one considering it was $1 beer day at the track.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

Mine just broke too, got the infamous E02 error. From what I've read, this means the shutter is dead and it needs to go to Germany to be replaced. I'll probably end up doing that at some point.

Oy vey. Isn't it basically the cost of the camera to fix anyways??

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Oy vey. Isn't it basically the cost of the camera to fix anyways??
Yeah, probably. The benefit is that I know I'll have a brand new shutter, as opposed to a used one that could crap out any second.

I'm tempted to take it apart and try to hack the lens into an M mount, but I know I'll never finish it.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
contax t2, 160

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
also, anyone interested in a leica mini 3?

I bought it brand new a few months back and ran a few rolls through it (its still practically brand new), I love the camera but i have my T2 now so that's all I've been using.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
contax t2 portra 400nc

I just put a roll of ektar 100 in the contax, but i think after seeing the portra results, that might be my exclusive contax film along with velvia sometimes.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Yashica t4 super is one hell of a camera

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

General Gingersnap posted:

That's one hell of a photograph 8)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Some home processed Fuji 800z taken with the Olympus mju:II

Over the building by mr_student, on Flickr

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

That's one hell of a photograph 8)

Thanks duder!

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

General Gingersnap posted:

This is awesome. And yeah ever since I came up on my T4 superD I haven't been able to put it down. poo poo is ridiculously good for the plastic p&s that it is. The prices for it are nuts but I can see why people want it so bad (other than hype).

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
contax t2 ektar 100

ektar is great for some situations, but the reality is you get an inconsistent product. Im gonna keep putting portra in this cam.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tuddy posted:

contax t2 ektar 100

ektar is great for some situations, but the reality is you get an inconsistent product. Im gonna keep putting portra in this cam.

Ektar is pretty funky and I wouldn't really recommend it for cameras that have poor control of exposure. It's kind of like slide film in that it has limited exposure latitude. It gets really funny casts after about a stop mis-exposure either way. Blues turn cyan, reds become fire-engine red, everything else turns a bit more earthy (brown/red). Epson Scan's auto exposure also messes up on the blue channel highlights, so I have to manually correct all the skies unless I want them to be yellow.

It's cool if you want a low-fi look or if you can get the exposure right consistently. I think it looks great along with an old Ikonta viewfinder-folder with a triplet lens I have. If you want serious-business 100 speed film buy Reala, it's way more consistent.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 6, 2011

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ektar is pretty funky and I wouldn't really recommend it for cameras that have poor control of exposure. It's kind of like slide film in that it gets really funny casts after about a stop mis-exposure either way. Blues turn cyan, reds become fire-engine red, everything else turns a bit more earthy (brown/red). It also tends to go yellow in the highlights. Maybe I just suck at scanning it.

It's cool if you want a low-fi look or if you can get the exposure right consistently. I think it looks great along with an old Ikonta viewfinder-folder with a triplet lens I have. If you want serious-business 100 speed film buy Reala, it's way more consistent.

its also a saturation issue, if you look at the picture of the sheep its very saturated, while the pig and cow photos are way more neutral. I liked ektar with the leica mini 3 i was shooting with, because that tended to saturate photos as is. But i guess its just not the right film for the "look" im going for with my contax.

Having said all this. I will try out the Reala - so thanks for the recommendation :0

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tuddy posted:

its also a saturation issue, if you look at the picture of the sheep its very saturated, while the pig and cow photos are way more neutral. I liked ektar with the leica mini 3 i was shooting with, because that tended to saturate photos as is. But i guess its just not the right film for the "look" im going for with my contax.

Having said all this. I will try out the Reala - so thanks for the recommendation :0

Ektar is pretty saturated to start off with and gets more saturated when you overexpose it. Reala is designed to replicate the colors you see - it's pretty saturated, sort of like a warmer Provia.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Just don't underexpose Reala too much or it's a bitch to scan.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I had one bad experience with Ektar. Shot an entire roll of pictures that I thought would turn out great. When I got the film back and looked at it, the range of colors in those photos looked like the range of colors from a fresh pile of vomit. Never going back.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Mannequin posted:

I had one bad experience with Ektar. Shot an entire roll of pictures that I thought would turn out great. When I got the film back and looked at it, the range of colors in those photos looked like the range of colors from a fresh pile of vomit. Never going back.

I've also only shot the one roll, it didn't seem to like the full on mid-day sun, horribly saturated, but it did look great in the morning/afternoon golden hours.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
more portra 400nc in my contax t2

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

tuddy posted:

more portra 400nc in my contax t2

Are there any other cameras as sharp and reliable as this guy? With a built in flash, preferably. The T4 is nice but I'm looking for something that's a bit of a step up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Are there any other cameras as sharp and reliable as this guy? With a built in flash, preferably. The T4 is nice but I'm looking for something that's a bit of a step up.

The downside of the T2 is that it's a bit on the big and heavy side, but not show-stoppingly so. The controls aren't as nice as the ones on the Ricohs either.

tys
Jan 26, 2006

don't stop me now
In small town North Dakota for a week so I decided to check out the local pawn shop for any camera gems, anyone have any experience with any of these cameras?

Ricoh AF-5
Konica C35 (EF)
Minolta Hi-Matic F

The Minolta is in the best condition although the chances of any of them working for me are probably slim. It seems to have some very basic exposure controls and I have been looking for a nice compact 35mm. All were priced fairly reasonably if they are in operable condition however.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tys posted:

In small town North Dakota for a week so I decided to check out the local pawn shop for any camera gems, anyone have any experience with any of these cameras?

Ricoh AF-5
Konica C35 (EF)
Minolta Hi-Matic F

The Minolta is in the best condition although the chances of any of them working for me are probably slim. It seems to have some very basic exposure controls and I have been looking for a nice compact 35mm. All were priced fairly reasonably if they are in operable condition however.

The Hi-Matic F has no exposure controls, but neither do any of the others. The battery is also hard to find. On the other hand it's probably the nicest out of those three, it's actually a decent lens and the exposures are pretty good. The other two are your basic point and shoots. I wouldn't pay more than $10-20 for any of them even if they can demo them working.

Hi-Matic F warning: you need to look at the shutter blades when you test-fire the shutter. If, for example, there are no batteries in it, it will click like it's firing, but it's not. It used mercury batteries, but you can get zinc air cells to make it work. Because of the way the battery compartment is made, you probably won't be able to make the usual "wad-of-tinfoil adapter plus 675 battery" solution work.

I have a Hi-Matic F sitting in a drawer but have never gotten around to getting the right batteries. I tried the tinfoil solution, I'm pretty sure I saw it fire the blades once but it wouldn't stay put in the compartment. It's sort of semi-tested. I'm trying to clean up some of my crap, so if you want it, you can have it for $5 plus actual fees/shipping.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 9, 2011

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I know this isn't strictly P&S, but someone is selling a Voigtlander Vitessa L with the ULTRON lens for $180. Problem is the rangefinder is busted in some way. Feasible to get this fixed somewhere?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Just got 2 films back from the lab from the Olympus Trip 35.

One film was a dogshit ISO400 nasty film and the other was my old friend Tudor 36 ISO200

CNV00023 by AceClown79, on Flickr

CNV00042 by AceClown79, on Flickr

CNV00007 by AceClown79, on Flickr

CNV00035 by AceClown79, on Flickr

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

Picked up a Konica AiBorg the other day for £10 in a local charity shop.

Beautiful.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

scottch posted:

I know this isn't strictly P&S, but someone is selling a Voigtlander Vitessa L with the ULTRON lens for $180. Problem is the rangefinder is busted in some way. Feasible to get this fixed somewhere?

Probably. Maybe. Depends on how it's broken. If the RF is just misaligned, you might be able to do it yourself, or it'll cost you $100 to get a professional to fix it. If it's got broken parts (somehow), you could be screwed unless you have a parts camera, manage to dig up 50s era parts, or pay someone to make a replacement for you.

That doesn't sound like that great a price considering it's got a broken RF. Yeah, the Ultron is the top of the line lens, but consider the fact that you're probably going to drop minimum another $100 into it (in time or cash). Is it worth $300? I think that's about what they go for anyway, and there's no risk of a parts catastrophe. Personally I'd try to talk him down to $100 territory considering. If it's no problem to fix, he could do it himself and sell it for full price anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Paul MaudDib posted:

Probably. Maybe. Depends on how it's broken. If the RF is just misaligned, you might be able to do it yourself, or it'll cost you $100 to get a professional to fix it. If it's got broken parts (somehow), you could be screwed unless you have a parts camera, manage to dig up 50s era parts, or pay someone to make a replacement for you.

That doesn't sound like that great a price considering it's got a broken RF. Yeah, the Ultron is the top of the line lens, but consider the fact that you're probably going to drop minimum another $100 into it (in time or cash). Is it worth $300? I think that's about what they go for anyway, and there's no risk of a parts catastrophe. Personally I'd try to talk him down to $100 territory considering. If it's no problem to fix, he could do it himself and sell it for full price anyway.

That's what I had feared. The guy is selling a whole pile of stuff, but only has so much posted. He also had a Polaroid SprintScan 35 that I was going to pick up with a rangefinder, but it's not the 4000DPI one I thought it was, so doubtful it'll be that decent.

He says he has some MF and LF too that he's posting later, but trying to get more info about those before I pick up a rangefinder. He has lots more besides the Voigtlander, like a Yashica J & Lynx, Ricoh 35, even a mini Rollei.

I'll try to find our more about the busted RF though, looks like a beautiful camera.

• Locked thread