Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Torabi posted:

What is Power Rewards? Never heard of it?
It's the rewards card that GameStop nudges you to get every time you buy a game there. Or at least I think it is, I barely go there anymore. :love: Amazon.

Anywho, yes, this thread is where the folks in the industry hang out. Lots of developers in here, lots of artists, etc. And also some GameStop employees, I think, or at least some ex-GameStop employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

It's the rewards card that GameStop nudges you to get every time you buy a game there. Or at least I think it is, I barely go there anymore. :love: Amazon.

Anywho, yes, this thread is where the folks in the industry hang out. Lots of developers in here, lots of artists, etc. And also some GameStop employees, I think, or at least some ex-GameStop employees.

Don't forget the lurkers! :v:

*back to lurking*

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Oh wow, this has got to suck: Project Zomboid gets two laptops stolen, apparently losing a fair bit of uncommitted work.

Just serves as a good reminder to everyone, do off-site backups regularly, or at the very least chuck your important stuff on a flash drive once a week or so. Seriously, web-hosting costs next to nothing these days, and a single fire, flood or robbery could make you lose not only your posessions, but potentially years of work. This doesn't just apply to indie devs either, losing years of folio work would be just as devestating if you had to look for a new job suddenly.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

AntiPseudonym posted:

Just serves as a good reminder to everyone, do off-site backups regularly, or at the very least chuck your important stuff on a flash drive once a week or so. Seriously, web-hosting costs next to nothing these days, and a single fire, flood or robbery could make you lose not only your posessions, but potentially years of work. This doesn't just apply to indie devs either, losing years of folio work would be just as devestating if you had to look for a new job suddenly.
While you're at it, always use a code repository.

Always. Use. A. Code. Repository.

Seriously, there is no excuse anymore.

GIT + https://github.com/ == full version control, full offsite backups, source control is transparent and "just works"
Hg + https://bitbucket.org/ == full version control, full offsite backups, source control is transparent and "just works"

Personally, I prefer Hg (Mercurial). I think it is more user-friendly. But unless you're already using SVN/etc, just pick one, and just... use it. Period.

EDIT: (and for artists / binary assets, use Dropbox, or if you like, stuff it into GIT/Hg too - you're an indie, odds are good binary assets in any one of your repositories will never be numerous enough to make size an issue)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 18, 2011

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Rough Luck on them. its beginning to look like they are cursed

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Shalinor posted:

While you're at it, always use a code repository.

Always. Use. A. Code. Repository.

Seriously, there is no excuse anymore.

I'm still amazed at the thought that some coders still don't use source control, I didn't even think to mention it. Doing manual source control is just insane in this day and age.

MemoryManager copy copy(2) backup final.cpp

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
WOOO, might end up back at QA.. Just got to pass this grammar test.

Apparently I might end up in Namco.. Didn't know they were around here in Santa Clara..

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

AntiPseudonym posted:

I'm still amazed at the thought that some coders still don't use source control, I didn't even think to mention it. Doing manual source control is just insane in this day and age.

MemoryManager copy copy(2) backup final.cpp

To be fair, it could have been that they backed up to a repository that was on one of the machines that was stolen? Like say running Perforce locally or something. I'm not saying it's smart, I'm just saying maybe? :ohdear:

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

waffledoodle posted:

We can't drink at the office :eng99:
You can drink at ArenaNet, apparently. I've got pics. :l

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Torabi posted:

Bah, I am struggling to even get started with our UDK project. I am the "lead" of a three man team and we barely know anything when it comes to UnrealScript. We have until April 2012 to do something, the work it self probably won't be graded as much as the whole "planning" since I do not attend a fancy game design school. Still, I want this to work so I can continue with it on my own outside of school.

Problem is, it is hard to push people to actually do something. One guy goes to the same school as me but the other guy I know over the Internet, I've known him for a long time and he is reliable but I have a feeling he might just vanish if I start telling him to do something.

Any advice on how to drive a team?

Also, I take it that a lot of people here are game developers?

You're going to have to get it started yourself. You need to get an app up and running. With a bunch of scaffolding and //TODO: implement this comments.
Then, give very specific, narrow, well-defined tasks to your team members. You'll have to have already done enough of the work yourself that you can define these tasks well enough that they don't feel lost at the start.
Some (all?) of the team members will still fail to get any traction after you spoon-feed them the work. Write them off.
The ones that get anything at all done, spoon feed them a little more. Soon they'll be defining new work that needs to be done themselves and telling you what needs to be done. Congratulations, you won.
But really just getting something up and running with some clear footholds in it for people start at is the key. It's really, really hard to create something on a blank page. Most people just can't or aren't willing to put forth the effort to do it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

lots of artists,

Speaking of, happy All Hallow's Eve, everybody!

Artists love Halloween for some reason:

Click for HUUUGE. Just don't try to steal it, I have the original sketches. :mad:

And phone sizes, supposedly...

Android

iPhone 3 and earlier

iPhone 4 and later

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
Redacted to not burn any bridges

Fizzle fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 19, 2011

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/photoshop/hand-painted-weapon-texturing/

Artist types please learn to do this kind of style so there is not a huge shortage of you who do this awesome stuff. Your consideration in this would be very much appreciated.

(No I don't have a membership, just pimping some work a guy I know put together)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

wodin posted:

Artist types please learn to do this kind of style so there is not a huge shortage of you who do this awesome stuff. Your consideration in this would be very much appreciated.

(No I don't have a membership, just pimping some work a guy I know put together)

Tyson taught me many, many things while he was here at school, before Blizzard took him away. May he teach you all many things.

He was my go-to guy for help and critique on this piece that I did:

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

wodin posted:

What timing!
We're planning on using colorful, hand-painted textures for our school project, but I think that to most in my group, textures are currently just an after-thought. And I was wondering - I haven't looked that far and wide yet - is there anything we absolutely should check out before diving in? Any golden source of infinite hand-painting-textures-wisdom, perhaps?

I'm thinking Rayman (as I think I remember it) and WoW a good source of inspiration, at least, and I used Smileybones' gallery to convince my fellow team mates that hand-painted textures would be the way to go for this game. Other than that, I only really know how to do UV-maps, and throw some colors around in photoshop.

I've put that video pretty high on the list for now. Very interesting. Definitely considering forking out some dollars to get some insight/practice with that one, indeed. Thanks. :)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

YeOldeButchere posted:

As someone who was once in pretty much this position and now works at Ubisoft Montreal, I'd say this is the way to go. You might not even have to show your demos, just talking about them in an interview might be enough to tip the scale in your favor, assuming you actually did make them and can go over some of the technical details (otherwise it's gonna be pretty easy to know you're lying).

You should also try to apply to generalist programmer positions even if you want to do 3D. I know that Ubisoft tends to have junior people as generalist programmers even if in practice they're specializing in something. You do see job ads for junior 3D programmers from time to time, but even then the qualifications tend to exclude people fresh out of college, and frankly, it's not unwarranted. The step between what you learn in college and what you need working in the industry is pretty high. Don't let that discourage you though, any practice you get making demos just means you'll have a much easier time learning on the job later.

It's also a good idea to target your resume to the extent that you're applying for a job making video games, not a specific domain. Taken a networks class in college? Put that in. I got my first job because I'd listed a networks class in my resume even though that's not what I really wanted to do. Taken some advanced numerical computing classes? Put that in. You might apply for a position that's already filled, but get offered an interview for another where they need someone for some animation work. This is especially likely if you apply to large developers like Ubisoft where they need tons of people. There are some CS classes which won't do you any good beyond padding your resume, namely all of the really theoretical stuff, so if your college lets you choose your classes for your last year, don't take those unless it's for your personal enjoyment and there isn't anything directly useful to making video games available.

At large companies where the people looking at your resume might not be technical people, this largely means inserting the right buzzwords at the right place. Your "Skills" section should list any language you're proficient at. OpenGL/Direct3D/WPF/MFC slash anything that you know which you've seen mentioned in a job ad and is relevant is what recruiters are gonna be looking for.

All of this assumes you can actually back up your resume with technical knowledge during an interview. Your C++ knowledge will certainly be tested, and if you fail the most basic questions you're not getting in. If you have troubles with basic concepts like pointers or virtual functions or elementary STL usage, you absolutely have to get more experience in some way or another. Again, making demos should help here. You do need some knowledge of data structures and algorithms in general, but truth be told, between someone who's an expert on that and someone who's an expert on debugging, the latter is infinitely more useful. There are people who need to deal with the more theoretical considerations of running times and all that, but the average programmer's day to day work won't involve any big O notation. Anything more complex than a list or a vector isn't used much. In fact, you'll usually find that memory access patterns are far more likely to be an issue than running time for games.

But yeah, technical competence and demos to prove it are pretty much the key here. If you also happen to not be socially inept, it usually helps.

Thanks, this was quite informative. I'm actually taking a networking class and a 3D graphics course right now and on the waitlist for a video game design course next semester (it's utoronto so it shouldn't be ITT Tech level filler), should I just put some select courses that apply to game development on my resume when I apply around and bring it up in the interview?

And my plan is to make some side project demos with basic OpenGL and C++ but I don't know quite how much they'd expect, am I ok with just some basic stuff that shows I understand graphics APIs and the rendering pipeline/3D math or do I need to have some really impressive stuff?

And since you worked at Ubisoft Montreal (I heard a bunch fo the staff from Montreal moved to the Toronto studio when it opened, in case you know anybody), what's the environment like? I've heard the horror stories about some EA studios (I wouldn't mind taking some overtime when needed but that just seems like a bad work environment), is Ubisoft going to be anything like that?

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
The project I've been working on has finally been announced. NFL Blitz is back. Feel free to ask me a ton of questions I am not allowed to answer since I'm just a QA lead.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/18/nfl-blitz-returns-to-the-gridiron-in-2012/

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

GeauxSteve posted:

The project I've been working on has finally been announced. NFL Blitz is back. Feel free to ask me a ton of questions I am not allowed to answer since I'm just a QA lead.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/18/nfl-blitz-returns-to-the-gridiron-in-2012/

Can I still tackle everybody on the field after the play is called dead?

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Shalinor posted:

Oh man. I try to avoid even standing up after two glasses. 3? Did they allow you to do it sitting? :ohdear:

It was much funnier making him stand. :)

Also, glasses are way too much work for beer. We just stock coolers full of bottles outside the meeting room.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
A month or so ago I applied for a level design position, which was turned down due to my lack of experience with Max, but they actually gave me a proper response saying that they wouldn't hesitate to bring me in for a Junior Level Design role. Now an agency has put up an ad for such a role and the way it's written makes it appear to be the same company (it's basically the same as the one for Level Design)

Should I:
Apply to the company directly, replying to the guy who wrote about my last application, saying I saw the ad elsewhere and figured it was them
Contact a guy I knew in my last job who is now a Level Designer there about it
Try to apply through the agency, and if so should I mention my previous application and the response?

This new ad, being identical as far as I can see to the Level Designer one, again asks for Max experience. Whoever I apply to I mean to stress that my experience with level editors and free 3D tools means I feel confident to build levels through a 3D package, though I'm not sure the agency will want to go ahead with the application since the listing asks for Max experience.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

A month or so ago I applied for a level design position, which was turned down due to my lack of experience with Max, but they actually gave me a proper response saying that they wouldn't hesitate to bring me in for a Junior Level Design role. Now an agency has put up an ad for such a role and the way it's written makes it appear to be the same company (it's basically the same as the one for Level Design)

Should I:
Apply to the company directly, replying to the guy who wrote about my last application, saying I saw the ad elsewhere and figured it was them
Try to apply through the agency, and if so should I mention my previous application and the response?

This new ad, being identical as far as I can see to the Level Designer one, again asks for Max experience. Whoever I apply to I mean to stress that my experience with level editors and free 3D tools means I feel confident to build levels through a 3D package, though I'm not sure the agency will want to go ahead with the application since the listing asks for Max experience.

You could always list 3ds Max experience, apply, and then download and install the 3ds Max Trial and run through the intro tutorials and actually have Max experience by the time you get to the interview stage.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

You could always list 3ds Max experience, apply, and then download and install the 3ds Max Trial and run through the intro tutorials and actually have Max experience by the time you get to the interview stage.

Just had a quick look, is the 3DSMax download really 3000MB? Because I just got Blender was less than 25 when I got it yesterday. I'd be lucky to download 3000MB in time for an interview.

Anyway, what about that previous application? I'm not sure what the agency will think if I have to tell them I send an application to the company myself in the last few months.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I haven't posted in here for a while so here we go:

I got a seasonal job at a Warehouse so at least I can build up my savings rather than slowly burning through it for my student loans. Been applying all over the place but for now I got 2 significant leads: the ever-looming Associate Flash/Flex Dev position at Riot Games (I will get to that in a bit), and a potential position at the far more local Scientifically Proven Entertainment. I say potential because the position would be for developing a/some Flash-based Facebook game(s) but they have not decided if they are going to move forward with these projects yet; through my program chair back at the school I attended I was able to get into contact with SPE's lead programmer guy and he told me I would be high up on the list of potential candidates as they don't seem to know that many people who are familiar with AS3 :v:

now, back to Riot shenanigans. Though strategic poking via e-mail, I managed to finally get feedback for the new AS3 test I sent back to them Labor Day weekend, and although they liked that I "had a good idea of what needed to get tested and how to go about it, and the implementation was good", however my solution was not the most efficient way to go about it. This is not the end of the road for me here though, as he suggested I go and brush-up on some general OOP concepts, take another crack at the test (this time there would be no time limit), and get back to him in a month or two. It really looks like he wants me to get this job since this is not the first time he suggested that I take some time to learn-up on something (the first time was that he wanted me to look into AS2 in Flash, as well as Flex's MXML). Finally, it sounds like he is "greatly appreciative of (my) tenacity" when it comes to poking him for a response, so I guess I have not been bothersome with my e-mailing strategy.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Getting people interested in playing a facebook word game is loving hard. *sigh* :smithfrog:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Another game I'm involved in just got announced. I've done some design and writing for it, and it's using the same engine I'm writing for Naked Gun. My wife is the main writer. I'm looking forward to it!

Go go point and click! Away!

Diaghilev
Feb 19, 2005

The final argument of kings and common men.
Perseverance has paid off. I have an interview tomorrow! :supaburn:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So hey, Extra Credits just ran an episode dealing with lazy design in games using Call of Cartel as an example, and... yeah, it's pretty disgusting some of the poo poo they somehow managed to shove into that game and somehow get away with it without anybody stopping and saying, "You know what, this highly racist achievement we just put into the game might be seen as offensive to somebody... is that what we really want?"

Anyway, after watching I'm curious about research and how it applies to games.

How much research do you put into a game? How much actually makes it into the game and how much just provides context? Does "getting it right" matter or will "close enough" be accepted? Will you do research when the game is fantasy? Do you think research is something just the writers and artists do, or would you be willing to help when you're a programmer or even in QA? Do you speak up when you notice a fact is wrong in your game but you weren't the one who put it there? Just how much thought goes into the inner workings of a games world and how much of that thought is backed up with research into it?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Do you speak up when you notice a fact is wrong in your game but you weren't the one who put it there? Just how much thought goes into the inner workings of a games world and how much of that thought is backed up with research into it?

I once bugged that a major character's eyes were the wrong color from what they had been depicted in a previous game and that went through okay, but for stuff like "Doesn't this seem racially/religiously/etc. insensitive?" I don't know that I'd ever have he guts to say anything, because all it takes is one "No that's what I wanted it to be intentionally" and you're pegged as a whiner for the rest of your tenure there.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

GetWellGamers posted:

I once bugged that a major character's eyes were the wrong color from what they had been depicted in a previous game and that went through okay, but for stuff like "Doesn't this seem racially/religiously/etc. insensitive?" I don't know that I'd ever have he guts to say anything, because all it takes is one "No that's what I wanted it to be intentionally" and you're pegged as a whiner for the rest of your tenure there.

I'd rather at least say 'Hey, this reads kind of racist to me for reason x. Would you mind taking a second look?' than just assume it'll go over fine. End users will always have a complaint about something, and sometimes that will bubble back up to the team via community or press. I'd rather have a ticket or conversation to point to that says "Yes, we raised this concern, this is the decision we made." when (not if) QA is asked about it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wasn't Call of Juarez developed in Poland?

So many products can easily end up offending people a language and continent away from the original developers.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Chainclaw posted:

Wasn't Call of Juarez developed in Poland?

So many products can easily end up offending people a language and continent away from the original developers.

Yeah. The "Gold and Lead" thing sounds like a translator didn't get it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah. The "Gold and Lead" thing sounds like a translator didn't get it.
The same thing was responsible for Deus Ex: Human Revolution's one big racial boo boo. French developers making a game slightly missed the mark culturally, whether due to their own cultural differences, or because of something being lost in translation.

... and every time I think about that, I wonder if the bizarre skirt blow-up et al games that come out of Japan somehow seem less offensive in their cultural frame, or if mis-translation is making them seem creepier than they are, or what.

Juarez seems especially lazy, though. I thought Call of Juarez was going to be, I don't know, set in Texas or something, and be a bit like "Dog the Bounty Hunter" in styling. I didn't realize they went... there... with it.

EDIT: VV Yes. They almost never, ever, target that serious. They usually stick to making light of ridiculous things in the biz and suggesting alternatives with silly illustrations backing it all up. Their style doesn't really fit well in this case.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 19, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The worst crime a designer can commit is wilfully misinforming your audience?

I've never watched one of those before, is it just accidental that they were discussing a serious subject matter through the medium of stills of a cartoon character mostly standing at a podium, narrated through a comedy voice filter? I mean, that's a fairly big misjudgement of tone right there.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Inadvertent word choice anecdotes!

So one of the games I worked on had a tribal jungle-dwelling lizard race. They were generally a ranged class that threw spears.

Their name for a single day of development: "Spearchucker".

On another game, someone had written a line of dialog, said by a farmer character, calling the player a "chickenhead". I had to send them the urbandictionary entry when they were wondering why they had to change it.

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 19, 2011

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Is anyone familiar with the state of the Rare company as of late? It seems like a lot of their driving creative forces are gone and they are now a husk of their former glory, crapping out wiggly waggly kinect/Wii games.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I:

Definitely contact the guy you know and ask him/her if the job listing is theirs. They will probably be able to give you a straight answer.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Mido posted:

Is anyone familiar with the state of the Rare company as of late? It seems like a lot of their driving creative forces are gone and they are now a husk of their former glory, crapping out wiggly waggly kinect/Wii games.
Nothing was ever the same after PD:0 and Kameo.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Getting people interested in playing a facebook word game is loving hard. *sigh* :smithfrog:
I feel 'ya, but if you guys would run ideas past a goony focus group before committing, you could save a lot of dough... ;)

M4rk fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 20, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

M4rk posted:

Definitely contact the guy you know and ask him/her if the job listing is theirs. They will probably be able to give you a straight answer.

Unless another company copy/pasted their ad it's certainly there, but I don't want to act out of turn and apply directly when it's not on their site. He's not answered yet though.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
Did anyone catch this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsT9xxTU2r8

I'm pretty happy to finally be able to tell people what I'm working on. Look at it, it rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Nagna Zul posted:

Did anyone catch this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsT9xxTU2r8

I'm pretty happy to finally be able to tell people what I'm working on. Look at it, it rocks!

If your web slinging isn't as awesome as Spiderman 2 then I believe we are going to have to have words good sir. It sure looks pretty in the trailer but how it handles will matter the most. Also my Film Student friend wants to punch the person who decided on that many filters

Solus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 20, 2011