Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Well then. I hope like hell the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Sprint, as thats one hell of a beautiful device... both hardware and software-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

SneakyCracker posted:

Well then. I hope like hell the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Sprint, as thats one hell of a beautiful device... both hardware and software-wise.

It's not any time soon or maybe ever, please don't fill the carrier threads with this.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

a thing: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225037

:iiam:

happy to hear if it works for others, I wanna believe :banjo:

selfishly want news doom gloom SPRINT IPHONES BUSTED? NEWS AT 11 to scare people away from buying so I can swoop in before the news doesn't cover except for one 10 second segment the less exciting word that things got fixed

Confirming that it worked for me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

It's not any time soon or maybe ever, please don't fill the carrier threads with this.

Just to clarify - since the release did not mention WiMax, we are assuming that the Galaxy Nexus will not be coming to Sprint anytime soon and that we should be switching to other carriers if we want to use it. Right? This may drive me to Verizon finally despite the data limits...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Just to clarify - since the release did not mention WiMax, we are assuming that the Galaxy Nexus will not be coming to Sprint anytime soon and that we should be switching to other carriers if we want to use it. Right? This may drive me to Verizon finally despite the data limits...

No, we have no ides either way. Theoretically the Galaxy Prime can be released as 1 of the following:

1. 3G only

2. 3G only upon release, LTE ready when network vision hits.

I would die and buy it on release day if option 2 happened.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I noticed on my way to work while streaming Howard Stern that my phone said Extended 3G instead of Sprint 3G. I turned on/off Airplane mode and it went back to Sprint 3G. As I said earlier my data roaming is turned off (my voice is not).

This extended 3G I never seen before until I got the iPhone. From what I can take it means you are on roaming. but how can I be on roaming if I have data roaming turned off? Can you be on Sprint 3G and voice roaming at the same time?

Edit: Just checked and I have only used 215KB on data roaming since the 15th.

After re-reading that letter Sprint sent me and checking my usage (data roaming was not that big of a deal on my usage), I think the reason Sprint sent me that letter was because I was going over 5GB on one line every month. It is a generic letter that talks about going over 5GB and/or data roaming, and I been averaging 6GBs a month for several months. So beware if you abuse unlimited data (I guess no such thing as unlimited).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Just to clarify - since the release did not mention WiMax, we are assuming that the Galaxy Nexus will not be coming to Sprint anytime soon and that we should be switching to other carriers if we want to use it. Right?
Sprint is transitioning to LTE. I recall they were going to have it lit up in some markets by "mid 2012" from their network address a few weeks ago, but my memory is fuzzy.

Anyways, the Nexus S 4G hit Sprint back in April, and I would expect a replacement device around/by that time. Whether it's a "Galaxy Nexus" tuned to Sprint LTE bands and serves as one of Sprint's first LTE phones, or it's the same with a WiMAX radio bolted on (as they did for the NS4G), or something else entirely who knows.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It'd be silly to eat an ETF for a sidegrade to the prime if you already have a e3d or a sgs2.

4.3 vs 4.6, 960x540 vs 1280x720..1.2 vs 1.5 SOC..Not exactly huge leaps forward. The only real sticking point is the NFC..but I'm sure they'll be ways of retroactively adding that to handsets without it built in like the embedded batteries or those stickers..Not a huge deal..

What excites me though is the continuing screen size push..hopefully when I go to upgrade my e3d it'll be with a 5 inch screen in a similar form factor, but slimmer/lighter and rocking the next gen of SOC (qualcomm's s4, tegra3, etc)..Not that there's anything I find lacking about the current gen of SOC's..nothing is really straining the 8660 in the e3d (but the idea of 2k/4k video out is kinda exciting for the future)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zer0spunk posted:

It'd be silly to eat an ETF for a sidegrade to the prime if you already have a e3d or a sgs2.

Ture but if you haven't used your upgrade this year it is a no brainer to get the Prime over the SGS2 or EVO 3D. Heck if they annouced it for Sprint and you just got a 3D/etc return it before the window closes. That said the problem with the Prime is if it comes to Sprint in the same time frame as the Nexus S did this year something will be newer & greater coming out in summer 2012 (new EVO for example).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 19, 2011

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Ok, my Pre is dying a stupid death and my wife hates her phone. My SERO account is ready for an upgrade but hers doesn't come around until June. I found a Nexus S on Craigslist for $150. My thought was get the iPhone with my upgrade, give it to my wife, and put the Nexus on my line. Then in June when my wife's upgrade comes up I can reassess my options. I know I'll need to add the $10 prem data to both accounts as well as upgrade hers to SERO Premium. Does this make any sense to anyone else, is it even a good idea? Is the Nexus a decent phone?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I wonder how many iPhone 4S users are having second thoughts after last night's demo?

Depending on the exclusivity deal, Sprint may be looking at a bunch of cancellations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are there any laptop docks that work with the 3D?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Edit, wrong thread.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

vwman18 posted:

Does this make any sense to anyone else, is it even a good idea? Is the Nexus a decent phone?
Actually yes, that's a stupidly good deal, get that $150 Nexus S ASAP.

Not only is the Nexus S 4G a great phone, it's going to be the first phone on Sprint to run Android ICS which is the "next big thing" everyone is crapping their pants about. The only downside to the device is that the hardware is a bit dated, but since you're up for a June upgrade you can get to the next big ICS device which should hit Sprint by that time.

$150 is a lowball offer for a Nexus S 4G in my book. Probably because it doesn't shine so much next to the sheer hardware capability of the Evo 3D and E4GT. But you'll have the last laugh as you run shiny new Android that everyone is envious over.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I feel like everything useful about sense is more or less integrated into ICS now..I would flash aosp onto my e3d in a heartbeat..but..I actually really like the 3d. I don't see anything about native stereoscopic support in 4.0..Same with wimax, it'd be a bummer to lose 4g radio support. Kind of stuck at HTC's mercy on those points...

How long did it take them to update the OG evo to GB?

edit: did the math to answer my own question

evo came out in june of 2010,

2.3 is announced/revealed in dec 2010 (6 months into the devices life)

2.3 is released for the evo on june 2011 (12 months into the devices life)

well crap..going by that does that mean there won't be an official ICS update until april or may?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 19, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

moolchaba posted:

I wonder how many iPhone 4S users are having second thoughts after last night's demo?

Depending on the exclusivity deal, Sprint may be looking at a bunch of cancellations.

Only thing I'm second guessing is going with Sprint over Verizon or AT&T because of these data issues. It's worse than EDGE on T-Mobile was.

I'm pretty sure the people who bought the 4s aren't the people who are wowed by Google's Nexus Prime.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

moolchaba posted:

As a Google Fanboy I had no second thoughts last night. I slightly miss Android (I haven't flashed or themed anything in over a week), but I am loving iOS. It is so polished, and I can see why it has so many fanboys. My biggest fear was going to a smaller screen (from my EVO), but honestly I am enjoying a smaller phone right now. The real test will be next year if I go iPhone 5 or the newest Android device.

That said I think it best to stay away from the iPhone vs Android in here. Both are great systems that offer different experiences. I wish I could have both for myself.

Casao posted:

I'm pretty sure the people who bought the 4s aren't the people who are wowed by Google's Nexus Prime.

I was wowed (as I knew I would be), but I was also like "I'm glad I am taking a break from Android for at least a year".

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 19, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

nate fisher posted:

I was wowed (as I knew I would be), but I was also like "I'm glad I am taking a break from Android for at least a year".

I just bought a Sensation. I was wowed by the demo. I also know enough not to expect usable ICS on my phone in any way, shape or form before next year.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I didn't expect last night's reveal to steer me back towards the Evo 3D, but here I am.

Has there been much of any app development for the stereoscopic functionality on the phone? I know there have been a few gameloft titles, but that can't be all of it, right?

Bonzai11
May 27, 2011

general chaos posted:

I didn't expect last night's reveal to steer me back towards the Evo 3D, but here I am.

Has there been much of any app development for the stereoscopic functionality on the phone? I know there have been a few gameloft titles, but that can't be all of it, right?

My sister and mother have them and have seen no use for 3d other than watching 3d video or the included games. The thing is with the Evo 3d, you don't buy it for the 3d. You buy it because it was the fastest available phone, and because it wasn't a Samsung phone.

Me and my father both jumped on the Android bangwagon first and had to deal with the moment and epic 4g. They were and still are both horrible, but I can't say the same for the Gs II's; I haven't heard much about them.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Announced the rumored EVO Design 4G today, $100 on contract

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/sprint-unleashes-the-htc-evo-design-4g-available-october-23rd-f/

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The 3D stuff is pretty useless, the only reason my friends and I bought it is because it's the latest and greatest HTC phone.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

blargle posted:

The 3D stuff is pretty useless, the only reason my friends and I bought it is because it's the latest and greatest HTC phone.
3D isn't useless for everyone. I really like the 3D pictures I took on my last vacation. Really feels like being there in many of them. (When viewed on a 3D TV or monitor anyway)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
2012 EVO will it be 3D or not? I would love to see a lighter and thinner EVO, and a better screen for when it is in the sun. Also take away the camera button.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Alman posted:

Announced the rumored EVO Design 4G today, $100 on contract

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/sprint-unleashes-the-htc-evo-design-4g-available-october-23rd-f/
Qualcomm MSM8655 CPU with CDMA/GSM global roaming. It's a Droid Incredible2 with WiMax. I thought this 4" Evo was supposed to be dual core like the Sensation and Evo 3D?

I'm glad to see Sprint might be getting more aluminum unibody designs from HTC. I'd already own the 3D if it looked more like the Sensation.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Welp, trying to activate my phone and just like the last time I upgraded phones, it wants me to change plans and won't give me the option of staying on SERO. Or in this case going to the Sero Premium plan. Is this typical, do people typically have to call to activate?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Intruder posted:

Welp, trying to activate my phone and just like the last time I upgraded phones, it wants me to change plans and won't give me the option of staying on SERO. Or in this case going to the Sero Premium plan. Is this typical, do people typically have to call to activate?

You have to call to activate, sadly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Matlock posted:

You have to call to activate, sadly.

Thanks for the info

I suppose I use the SERO number from the OP

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

3D isn't useless for everyone. I really like the 3D pictures I took on my last vacation. Really feels like being there in many of them. (When viewed on a 3D TV or monitor anyway)

Agreed. I do like taking random 3D pictures; one of them on a beach in Cozumel is probably my favorite now.

Let's Golf 3D is pretty fun as well. Hopefully more games will come for it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Returned my Sprint 4S for an ATT 4S today. It's so much faster--no more time outs in Siri. Hopefully sprint sorts everything out. The ATT plan is ridiculously expensive compared to Sprint's.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

powderific posted:

The ATT plan is ridiculously expensive compared to Sprint's.

It seems like everyone elses plans are expensive compared to Sprint. I've contemplated switching to get different phones but pay 30+ more a month and not even getting unlimited data sounds so ridiculous to me.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Drevoak posted:

It seems like everyone elses plans are expensive compared to Sprint. I've contemplated switching to get different phones but pay 30+ more a month and not even getting unlimited data sounds so ridiculous to me.

Exactly. If Sprint's network was just as good as AT&T they would be charging the same. I'll gladly pay $30 less to have my websites load in 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds and have unlimited data.

Sprint in Phoenix is pretty terrible but I haven't had any issues with Siri timing out.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I currently have an EVO 3D on Sprint with my main number fully integrated with Google Voice. What would happen to my phone number if I decided to switch to another carrier?

1. Would I be able to port my number but lose all GV integration?
2. Would I be able to port my number and keep full GV integration? (pretty sure this is impossible)
3. Would I have to port my current Sprint number to Google, cancel my Sprint service, sign up for a new carrier with a new number, and then forward all my calls from GV to the new number?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZeroAX posted:

Exactly. If Sprint's network was just as good as AT&T they would be charging the same. I'll gladly pay $30 less to have my websites load in 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds and have unlimited data.

Sprint in Phoenix is pretty terrible but I haven't had any issues with Siri timing out.

That's the thing, I was totally fine with it being a decent bit slower compared to other carriers. I figured that as long as it worked ok day to day it wasnt a big deal. But where I'm at, for some reason, I had speeds more like 60 to 100 Kbps with really high ping--even at 1am when I assume congestion wouldn't be bad. It wasn't a three second difference but a thirty second to a minute difference, depending on the site, with a decent chance of pages simply timing out.

I'm sure it's not that bad everywhere. I've seen other people reporting very consistent 700k plus speeds, and hopefully it gets back to that in my area too. I just didn't want to be stuck if it turned out that waiting till network vision finished rolling out was the solution.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I got the 4S on Sprint on Monday, coming from AT&T. I'm in Chicago, and my download speeds have been hovering between .1 and .2 Mbps consistently...when the speed test would actually start, that is. Strongly considering switching back since I haven't cancelled my AT&T line yet.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bobby Digital posted:

I got the 4S on Sprint on Monday, coming from AT&T. I'm in Chicago, and my download speeds have been hovering between .1 and .2 Mbps consistently...when the speed test would actually start, that is. Strongly considering switching back since I haven't cancelled my AT&T line yet.

Did you try the fix in this thread?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jeratain posted:

I currently have an EVO 3D on Sprint with my main number fully integrated with Google Voice. What would happen to my phone number if I decided to switch to another carrier?

1. Would I be able to port my number but lose all GV integration?
2. Would I be able to port my number and keep full GV integration? (pretty sure this is impossible)
3. Would I have to port my current Sprint number to Google, cancel my Sprint service, sign up for a new carrier with a new number, and then forward all my calls from GV to the new number?

I'd like to piggyback on this because I've been thinking about hooking GV up for a while but really haven't because of the weirdness involved with my lack of total understanding in this area.

e:

Casao posted:

I emailed Sprint tech support about my ridiculous speeds, they want me to call to diagnose the issues. I'm gonna give it a try, if they can't get everything taken care of, I will probably do something like that. Dunno about ATT vs Verizon though.

It's pretty far beyond just Sprint being bad.

Most of these are sub-EDGE speeds. Seriously unusable.

I'm going to guess it's a combination of network and phone because I'm in a garden level apartment in midtown Omaha. Disregard that one wifi test, I forgot to turn it off. See how I'm getting zero bars of service? Yeah, that's what I get when I'm pretty much in a quasi-basement. I'll run some more tests when I'm out and about at school today but I'm getting more or less better service than you with what is reading as a piss-poor signal. It's probably the network where you are being congested, and possibly the phone.

And, considering the history of the iPhone 4's antenna I don't want to insinuate that was what I meant - I just mean there are obviously differences in the engineering of a phone and between antenna placement, composition, and signal processing, the phone may be accounting for some of that bad performance. I would be hard-pressed to assume Apple would just outright fail to address such a widely publicized issue.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 20, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

powderific posted:

Returned my Sprint 4S for an ATT 4S today. It's so much faster--no more time outs in Siri. Hopefully sprint sorts everything out. The ATT plan is ridiculously expensive compared to Sprint's.

I emailed Sprint tech support about my ridiculous speeds, they want me to call to diagnose the issues. I'm gonna give it a try, if they can't get everything taken care of, I will probably do something like that. Dunno about ATT vs Verizon though.

ZeroAX posted:

It's pretty far beyond just Sprint being bad.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Casao posted:

:words:

This was on the last page but it sounds like you didn't try it either.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225037

Probably won't fix anything, but worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Casao posted:

east coast. not amazing, but usually what I average at 50% signal or so..according to opensignal I'm .5 miles away from the tower I'm connected to..

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 20, 2011