Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Godfather III Seen the first two, they're great movies, but never though it was worth watching this.

It's just painfully mediocre compared to the other two.

Mystic River was a pleasant surprise. Wasn't really expecting such a strong film, but Clint delivers a very raw emotional film. I guess it gets a bit sappy at some points and the dialog is not top notch, but the great acting by the cast manages to cover up some of the flaws. And boy there's some really great acting in this one. Not the best of Clint Eastwood, but very near of the top.

The Shame List:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen Looks insane.

Midnight Cowboy Cowboys eh?

Carlos the Jackal It's quite long. 330 minutes long.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me She's dead, wrapped in plastic.

Hamlet The Branagh version.

The Magnificent Ambersons The masterpiece that was not to be.

Dracula The Francis Ford Coppola one.

Gangs of New York Only Scorsese I haven't watched from his 00's output.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Public Enemy No.1

A Serious Man Very serious.

Have watched so far 14 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

The Magnificent Ambersons The masterpiece that was not to be.

It has it's problems, but it's still very good.

Haven't participated in this thread in over a month, time to get the train rolling again.

Forbidden Planet - With the exception of the dumb romance and wooden characters, this movie is pretty drat fun. I just like the feeling of "look at what we came up with!" in early sci-fi. It's just...awesome. Also, I'm really glad Leslie Nielsen eventually found his true calling as a comic actor.

1. The Battleship Potemkin - I don't really have any interest in watching this but it's ranked pretty drat high on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. The Usual Suspects - I've known the big "twist" for years, so I never really had this as a priority.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a pretty great film.

5. Stagecoach - Let's start at the beginning of the Ford/Wayne combination.

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

7. Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize what it was in time, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Forbidden Planet Modern Times - Thought City Lights was great, and The Gold Rush was good.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. The Big Sleep - Supposedly really confusing, but how can a Bogart noir not be great?

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet (Total: 82)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Toto was pretty good, not as goofy as I expected. It didn't really work on me, but I can see what others see in it. There's an element of neorealism in it, which surprised me.

Atheistdeals.com you better believe you're watching Stagecoach.

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Hana-bi I like Kitano.

Billy Liar I own it in that 10 Year of Rialto set, but it just ain't gonna happen without a push.

Cairo Station I know nothing about it, except FFD really loves it.

The Mystery of Picasso I like Picasso and I like Clouzot. Let's do it.

new: The Wisdom of Crocodiles Halloween spooky times.

Short Cuts I think I'd really like this, but I always forget about it.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Mallafemmina (7/10)

Total: 114
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
penismightier, you get Short Cuts

The Iron Giant didn't work for me at all. I don't want to be the guy that tears apart a kid's movie, but it just seemed kind of corny. The main kid was annoying and the bad guy was so over the top bad that it was almost laughable. Anyway, it seemed a ways off from some of the animation classics that have come before and since. Maybe I'm just jaded.

1) M- I've had this sitting around for a few months now nut haven't gotten around to it
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Modern Times- the last of the "big" Chaplin films I need to see
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

The Iron Giant didn't work for me at all. I don't want to be the guy that tears apart a kid's movie, but it just seemed kind of corny. The main kid was annoying and the bad guy was so over the top bad that it was almost laughable. Anyway, it seemed a ways off from some of the animation classics that have come before and since. Maybe I'm just jaded.

I love it because it's smart enough to address McCarthyism and general Cold War paranoia in a startlingly brilliant but simple way while simultaneously refusing to forsake the basic emotional core that I think exists in the best of family films.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Mistletoe Donkey- You get "M" one of my favorites.

Watched Rosemary's Baby. The movie was enjoyable for the most part. I thought the concept of the movie, and the way it was presented was a little too goofy to be "scary" though. Also Repulsion was a much better movie then this one.

My new list:

1. Exorcist: I know I've seen chunks of this when I was younger, but don't remember the details of it.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. The Hustler:
More Paul Newman

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. All About Eve:
Have no knowledge of this one.

6. Gandhi:
Never got around to it

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. Barry Lyndon:
Another Kubrick I have never seen

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator, The Elephant Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, Amadeus, The Big Sleep, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Killing, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, 8 1/2, Rosemary's Baby

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

zandert33 watch The Exorcist.

I didn't really love Stagecoach but I did like it quite a bit. It doesn't really have much depth to it but it's still a very exciting and well made film. The climatic chase scene has some extraordinary stunts. Also, I had a hard time focusing on the dialogue when the driver and Marshall were on screen. The driver sounded like Chris Farley's motivational speaker character, and I could only see George Bancroft as the Generalissimo from 30 Rock.

1. The Battleship Potemkin - I don't really have any interest in watching this but it's ranked pretty drat high on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. The Usual Suspects - I've known the big "twist" for years, so I never really had this as a priority.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a pretty great film.

5. Stagecoach The Searchers - Generally considered the best Ford western.

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

7. Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize what it was in time, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Modern Times - Thought City Lights was great, and The Gold Rush was good.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. The Big Sleep - Supposedly really confusing, but how can a Bogart noir not be great?

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach (Total: 83)

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I choose this. Bogart is excellent and is shot really well. I hope you enjoy it too..

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb might not have been a great comedy but it was a great comedic film. It was odd to see a Kubrick style film as a comedy but it worked for the script. I wasn't sure at first what I was supposed to "get" but one of the things that works so well for it was that it gets progressively more absurd while still maintaining a sort of seriousness. Also the first time that the President calls the Russian Premier made me grin like a madman.

My revised shame list:

Chinatown - A young Jack Nicholson in a crime drama sounds appealing.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I'm not big on sci-fi films but I do love Spielberg.

Sunset Blvd. - Saw this on IMDB's top 250 and I enjoy film noir.

Schindler's List - Again Spielberg. I avoided this because it is so long.

Trainspotting - Danny Boyle. I liked 127 Hours, Slumdog Millionaire, and 28 Days Later well enough.

Blazing Saddles - Keeping up with the comedy theme, I just watched the Mel Brooks & Dick Cavett special that HBO aired when I realized I have never seen this.

Grave of Fireflies - I liked Spirited Away. Hopefully I like this too.

The Prestige - Nolan connection.

Magnolia - This always seemed like art house to me so I avoided it. Plus it's very long.

Badlands - Malick and Martin Sheen. Plus this seems like it would be entertaining.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Atheistdeals.com posted:

It doesn't really have much depth to it

That's not really true. There's a lot in it about manhood - and I don't mean John Wayne, I mean stuff like Peacock and Buck, the marginalized men, in fact being the only real men with families. It's also really wonderful and groundbreaking in the the easy, almost unconscious way it shifts from perspective to perspective, overturning our impressions of people - like that dinner scene when we watch Lucy be an absolute bitch to Dallas, and we linger for a moment to watch Dallas and Ringo reach out to each other in the face of society, then we track over to Lucy and Hatfield reminiscing about their lost glory. In the same scene we have heroes and villains, and they're both humanized so much that none of them can be called labeled anymore.

The thing is, it does so much so quickly that it's hard to realize the strength of it. My favorite example is in the ending sequence (in which Ford breaks the 180 degree rule over and over), when he introduces the cavalry without a shot to establish where they are in the scene, but it's all so clear and precise that we just know they're in front of the stagecoach riding towards it. Orson Welles watched in like 40 times before he made Citizen Kane, he said it was his film school. Umberto Eco's famous piece on Casablanca holds it up against Stagecoach - which he calls "a masterpiece in every respect," and I think that's true - it's such a holistic work, it's difficult to realize just how tightly controlled and brilliant it is.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

The Hidden Fortress was a solid Kurosawa movie. Not one of his best, but still very good. Mifune was good as always, and the lady playing the princess was good too. The peasants were also funny in parts. Loved the mix of humor and action.

Also saw Dracula since penismightier twice mentioned how bad it was. I thought it was OK until the end. Not good, but OK. Lugosi was good as was the guy who played Renfield. However, I thought the ending was very weak. I've never read the book or saw any other version before, so I'm not sure if the ending of the book is any different, but it just seemed to be a tacked on happy ending. I wouldn't say it was terrible, but definately very below average.

My List:
It's a Wonderful Life - This is on every Christmas, and yet I have never seen it.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended a lot. Haven't seen it yet.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Only Monty Python movie I've seen is The Holy Grail. I am very interested in seeing the other ones.

Cars - Only Pixar movie that I haven't seen.

Ikiru - I've only seen Kurosawa's samurai movies, but this one appers to be somewhat different.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Frankenstein - Now that I've seen Dracula, this seems to be the natural next pick.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula

quote:

Blazing Saddles - Keeping up with the comedy theme, I just watched the Mel Brooks & Dick Cavett special that HBO aired when I realized I have never seen this.

Never saw this, but this is one of those movies I'd like to see so I'll assign this one to you.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dmitri Russkie posted:

I wouldn't say it was terrible, but definately very below average.

Yeah, I might have overstated how bad it is a bit, but I didn't want you to miss out on the whole amazing stable of Universal horror movies because of the disappointment of Dracula. Lugosi is a hell of a thing - you should check out Island of Lost Souls, The Black Cat, and White Zombie for more of him at his best. The guy who played Renfield is Dwight Frye, who's also great in Frankenstein.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Lugosi is a hell of a thing - you should check out Island of Lost Souls, The Black Cat, and White Zombie for more of him at his best.

The more I see of him the more underwhelmed I am by him. He has a certain presence and is great at milking that, but he's not a very good actor at all.
Karloff, on the other hand, is a classic monster actor who actually can put in some great performances.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The more I see of him the more underwhelmed I am by him. He has a certain presence and is great at milking that, but he's not a very good actor at all.
Karloff, on the other hand, is a classic monster actor who actually can put in some great performances.

Lugosi is a tool that, properly applied, can really enhance a film. Karloff is a great actor. Not just a great monster actor, either. Check out The Lost Patrol or Targets.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Lugosi is a tool that, properly applied, can really enhance a film. Karloff is a great actor. Not just a great monster actor, either. Check out The Lost Patrol or Targets.

Yeah I didn't word it very well but that's what I meant. Being a great actor means Karloff can bring something more even to the B-movie roles. I've seen Targets and it's great. I'll try to get ahold of The Lost Patrol.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah I didn't word it very well but that's what I meant. Being a great actor means Karloff can bring something more even to the B-movie roles. I've seen Targets and it's great. I'll try to get ahold of The Lost Patrol.

The real important debate is Edward Van Sloan or Colin Clive? (Clive)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dmitri Russkie posted:

My List:
It's a Wonderful Life - This is on every Christmas, and yet I have never seen it.

Well it's almost christmas

Now The Magnificent Ambersons is a film about a rich rear end in a top hat that I can like. Cause the rich rear end in a top hat is a rich rear end in a top hat right to very studio ending. It's quite a bleak tragedy, wasn't quite expecting that, the b&w photography captures the shame and ugliness of the house of Ambersons quite well. Too bad that it feels like a cribbed version of a bigger picture and there's always that ending.

The Shame List:

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Love the shorts, never got around to this one, for some reason.

Have watched so far 15 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

I think I saw a chunk of Hamlet in school but not the whole thing so go with this.

Roman Holiday - This is a first-rate movie in pretty much every measurable way. Legitimately funny, sad and magical scenes. One of the better ones I've seen from this thread. The plot is similar to that of "It Happened One Night" but this has a great backdrop. I really wasn't sure how it would end. I could say more but it's all been said before.

IMDb list:

#195 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#212 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

#219 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#222 Mystic River - I vaguely remember seeing this reviewed. Something about a trial gone awry? 8/9/11

#223 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#228 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

#235 Rope - I haven't checked but Hitchcock may have the most directorial appearances on the IMDb 250. 9/28/11

#238 Sleuth (1972) - Don't know anything about it. 10/12/11

#239 Shutter Island - Looked like a run-of-the-mill mystery. 10/12/11

new #240 Patton - I've seen the opening shot and heard the speech before but nothing else. The opening seemed kind of ridiculous. 10/19/11

mid posted:

...I just watched the Mel Brooks & Dick Cavett special that HBO aired when I realized I have never seen this.

I saw that recently too and it was entertaining. I like when stars/celebrities talk candidly like they were.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

The driver sounded like Chris Farley's motivational speaker character...

:lol: if you haven't seen "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" be prepared to meet him again.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So far I've seen four Bunuel films, and while none of them have had the compact impact of Simon In The Desert, The Exterminating Angel comes awfully close. The opening scenes are creepy, even foreboding, if just for the fleeing maids and servants. They don't know why, but they must, and the one who stays loyally behind finds himself trapped the instant he enters the doomed room. Any good comedy should have its roots in tension and danger (which is why most of the Apatow films aren't), and that usually means some kind of farcical race, but here it merely means the desperate avoidance of death. Both funny and frightening, Bunuel follows the plot out very nearly to the end of its possible thread. His aim is precise and his intent is bitter.

As a side note, Bunuel seems to have a fascination with people being trapped in a Kafkaesque manner. It's one of my favorite themes that so often goes unexplored.

9/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - A long time ago I rented this and I can't remember it at all.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) L'Atalante - I honestly don't know anything about this but man, number 14 on TSPDT must mean something.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) The Seven Samurai - SUPER-ULTRA SHAME! I don't like samurai films. I was also waiting to get the Blu-Ray but pfeh, looks like that's not gonna happen for a while and I guess I can get by with the DVD.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10 (total: 43)

Zogo, Rope.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball, I have no choice but to give you Seven Samurai, because not having seen it is inexcusable.

The Godfather: Part III
First of all, I know I'm beating a 20 year old dead horse, but it can't be stressed enough what a terrible performance Coppola gives. She can't even die right.The rest of the film is pretty mediocre, though not bad. Mostly it suffers from there being no consistent tone and the film presupposing that we care about these characters. The score is grand in all the wrong places and the 30 minute finale is the most overblown I've seen since Return of the King. Andy Garcia's pretty good, and his story is just as central as Pacino's, but the contrasts between their stories, which is the film's thematic core, is more academic than visceral. They explain their viewpoints and personalities more than they live them and it gets rather tiresome over 3 hours of film. All in all it was good, but between its very noticeable flaws and being a third sequel to two clearly superior films it comes off worse for the wear.

Updated list:

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

Twenty-Four Eyes Never seen a Kinoshita film. Seems like the place to start.

The Only Son Let's watch some more Ozu.

The Singing Detective Another mini series. Fits in with this noir thing I've been doing.

The Bridges of Madison County Why is this on the TSPDT list?

The Limey Another one I've seen but can't remember anything about.

The Host Korean horror movie or something. Supposedly really good.

Atanarjuat Been curious about this since it first came out, but 3 hours seems way too long.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Anarchy, you get to watch The Bridges of Madison County and review it for the rest of us.

I went into Amadeus not knowing that it would be Mozart from the perspective of Salieri, so that in particular struck me as a brilliant move. Showing the Mozart that others saw created a sense of distance to the character, you never really get under his skin until he cracks, like in the scenes with his father. I thought it was a really clever way of making a biography, in a way putting the audience in the same situation as the people surrounding Mozart. It drives home both how little we will ever know about those preceding us, but also how despite this we will always be able to connect to people like Mozart through what he created. Great movie.

Need to see:
1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan of Tati, so I really should.

2. The Hustler - I've loved Paul Newman in everything I've seen him in, but this one has escaped me so far.

3. Dark City - Just realized that I've never seen this.

4. Fantastic Planet - Some really beautiful animation and a score by Alain Goraguer. Sounds amazing.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my thing.

6. The Draughtman's Contract - Enjoyed both The Cook, the Thief etc. and Drowning by Numbers, so this is the next Greenaway I need to see.

7. Punch Drunk Love - This and Hard Eight are the only P T Anderson movies I haven't seen.

8. The Apartment - Hardly know anything about it, just heard it recommended everywhere.

9. Hoop Dreams - All I know is that it's a documentary about basketball?

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona, Easy Rider, Casablanca, City of God, Predator, Modern Times, Amadeus

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 20, 2011

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier posted:

That's not really true. There's a lot in it about manhood - and I don't mean John Wayne, I mean stuff like Peacock and Buck, the marginalized men, in fact being the only real men with families. It's also really wonderful and groundbreaking in the the easy, almost unconscious way it shifts from perspective to perspective, overturning our impressions of people - like that dinner scene when we watch Lucy be an absolute bitch to Dallas, and we linger for a moment to watch Dallas and Ringo reach out to each other in the face of society, then we track over to Lucy and Hatfield reminiscing about their lost glory. In the same scene we have heroes and villains, and they're both humanized so much that none of them can be called labeled anymore.

I never thought that the characters or their interactions were ever bad, but they all just seemed rather generic. I couldn't really see them as anything much more than the bookish sniveling coward, the hooker with a heart of gold, the greedy rich guy, or the competent drunkard. Maybe it is that the film moves so fast that it's hard to really get attached to anyone. It's certainly not the film's fault that these archetypes have grown into cliches over 70+ years. Stagecoach has enough tension and technical skill to more than make up for it.

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.
Admiral Goodenough, you get to watch Hoop Dreams because I am interested to hear how it is.

Blazing Saddles is a really fun film to watch. I imagine that it held a lot of shock value when it was released cause it had quite a bit of cursing and slurs that I certainly wasn't expecting from Mel Brooks. Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder have amazing chemistry and I do wish that it featured more scenes with just the two of them. It lives up to the hype of the ultimate western parody.

My revised shame list:

Chinatown - A young Jack Nicholson in a crime drama sounds appealing.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I'm not big on sci-fi films but I do love Spielberg.

Sunset Blvd. - Saw this on IMDB's top 250 and I enjoy film noir.

Schindler's List - Again Spielberg. I avoided this because it is so long.

Trainspotting - Danny Boyle. I liked 127 Hours, Slumdog Millionaire, and 28 Days Later well enough.

Some Like it Hot - I haven't seen this but many people say that I should.

Grave of Fireflies - I liked Spirited Away. Hopefully I like this too.

The Prestige - Nolan connection.

Magnolia - This always seemed like art house to me so I avoided it. Plus it's very long.

Badlands - Malick and Martin Sheen. Plus this seems like it would be entertaining.

Not ashamed anymore: Blazing Saddles, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

mid you get "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", as somebody who doesn't like Sci-fi I think it's a good pick. Try to watch the original cut, and if you like it watch the directors cut as well. Don't bother with the Special Edition.

Watched "The Exorcist", and wow, what a fantastic movie. I watched at least bits of it when I was younger (I remember the body scan scenes, and all the scenes everybody has seen), but I really didn't remember the details. The movie was fantastic, very gripping, and I was completely shocked by the end, I guess somehow I was able to never have it spoiled for me, because I had no idea how it all ended. I really liked it.

My new list:

1. Dial M for Murder: I'm a big Hitchcock fan, but never saw this one.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. The Hustler:
More Paul Newman

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. All About Eve:
Have no knowledge of this one.

6. Gandhi:
Never got around to it

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. Barry Lyndon:
Another Kubrick I have never seen

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator, The Elephant Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, Amadeus, The Big Sleep, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Killing, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, 8 1/2, Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

zandert33, go watch All About Eve it's great.

The Bridges of Madison County Why is this on the TSPDT list? I watched the movie and I still don't know the answer, cause I thought it sucked. It's one of those doomed romance stories where everything is magical, emotional and ultimately heartbreaking, but where the characters have no actual control over any of it. Love finds them, life limits it, they are changed forever. Streep gives a good performance, but otherwise gently caress this poo poo, especially over two hours of it. As annoying as the main story is though, it's got nothing on the incompetence of the framing device of her children discovering her diaries. Those two are terrible actors whose cheap outrage and then acceptance comes off completely false. Terrible bookends to a mediocre love story.

Updated list:

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

The Singing Detective Another mini series. Fits in with this noir thing I've been doing.

The Host Korean horror movie or something. Supposedly really good.

Atanarjuat Been curious about this since it first came out, but 3 hours seems way too long.

Cyrano de Bergerac It's a classic story I guess. This is on 5 lists at ICM and there's only 8 such films I haven't seen.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Anarchy, better flush down Bridges with some gore. Go watch The Host.

So Hoop Dreams was amazing. It's one of the most immersing things I've ever seen, and I can't think of any other documentary that has left me feeling so close to other people. This doc is a great testament to the fact that real life can be immensely more dramatic and full of subtleties than any scripted movie could come close to. What initially made me hesitant to see this was that I don't know poo poo about basketball, but in the end it's not a movie about basketball anyway.

Need to see:
1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan of Tati, so I really should.

2. The Hustler - I've loved Paul Newman in everything I've seen him in, but this one has escaped me so far.

3. Dark City - Just realized that I've never seen this.

4. Fantastic Planet - Some really beautiful animation and a score by Alain Goraguer. Sounds amazing.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my thing.

6. The Draughtman's Contract - Enjoyed both The Cook, the Thief etc. and Drowning by Numbers, so this is the next Greenaway I need to see.

7. Punch Drunk Love - This and Hard Eight are the only P T Anderson movies I haven't seen.

8. The Apartment - Hardly know anything about it, just heard it recommended everywhere.

9. The Night of the Hunter - I don't know about this, it seems silly. It's on a ton of lists on ICM, though.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona, Easy Rider, Casablanca, City of God, Predator, Modern Times, Amadeus, Hoop Dreams

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Admiral Goodenough, watch The Hustler. Newman's great in it.

The Host was pretty great. Many monster movies shy away from showing the monster, and are often praised for doing so, but that's not the case here. The monster shows up early on and it's very well done, scary and disgusting and alive. Its constant presence adds to the film's intensity and makes the fear a very real thing. Despite the intensity and occasional gore there are moments of comedy scattered throughout which alleviate the tension without ever undermining them.

Updated list:

Cyrano de Bergerac It's a classic story I guess. This is on 5 lists at ICM and there's only 8 such films I haven't seen.

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) I've seen some beautiful images from this film, so I guess that's something.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Host was pretty great. Many monster movies shy away from showing the monster, and are often praised for doing so, but that's not the case here. The monster shows up early on and it's very well done, scary and disgusting and alive. Its constant presence adds to the film's intensity and makes the fear a very real thing. Despite the intensity and occasional gore there are moments of comedy scattered throughout which alleviate the tension without ever undermining them.

Was that your first Bong Joon-Ho film?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Was that your first Bong Joon-Ho film?

I've seen Memories of Murder, and I guess it too had a mix of genres. Is that what you were getting at?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I've seen Memories of Murder, and I guess it too had a mix of genres. Is that what you were getting at?

No, I was just curious. You seem pretty taken with his style, and he's one of my absolute favorite filmmakers.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

No, I was just curious. You seem pretty taken with his style, and he's one of my absolute favorite filmmakers.

To be honest until you mentioned it I hadn't even thought about who the director was. Though now that I think about it in those terms, yeah I guess I was. I see he directed Mother which I've seen praised quite a bit so maybe I should check that out.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

To be honest until you mentioned it I hadn't even thought about who the director was. Though now that I think about it in those terms, yeah I guess I was. I see he directed Mother which I've seen praised quite a bit so maybe I should check that out.

Mother's terrific. His first film, Barking Dogs Never Bark, is also worth checking out.

Also, how good is the loving music in The Host!

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 24, 2011

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) I've seen some beautiful images from this film, so I guess that's something.

I've never seen this version but it is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. Hope it lives up to your expectations.

Okay so after 2 and a half months, I finally got around to watching The Seventh Seal. I don't know why I put it off so long, I've had the DVD from Netflix for the entire time. I found it pretty interesting and rather amusing. I didn't expect it to be as funny in some parts as it was. I found the movie rather lighthearted, which is odd because I was expecting something dark, as the menu screen was a thunderstorm. All in all, I liked it. It was a very calm, matter of fact movie about life, death, and faith. Very good.

My updated list:

1. Barton Fink - I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Coen Brothers so how this got away from me, I don't know.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. Sunset Boulevard. I've always heard great things about this movie and it's referenced in a lot of pop culture. I hope it's as good as I'm thinking it will be.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Singing in the Rain. I love musicals and I hear this is the one to beat them all so I'm a bit ashamed this has always passed my by.

8. My Neighbor Totoro Don't know too much about this one. I like the director and enjoyed Spirited Away, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. The Gold Rush. I've never seen a single Chaplain movie.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 24, 2011

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
You've got a few I've seen. I'll say go with Singing in the Rain- it's a lot of fun.

I'm ashamed it's taken me long to get into Kurosawa, but I'm hooked. The Seven Samurai was absolutely brilliant. Kurosawa is a gifted director and the movie was beautifully shot- between this and Rashomon I've seen that no one shoots nature like Kurosawa. There are great scenes of forests, dust blowing through the village (I can see why someone thought this would make a good Western), and the amazing scenes of battle in the rain and mud. Black and white is perfect for this director. However, while Kurosawa deserves a lot of credit, I saw Seven Samurai as primarily an actor's movie. There's a huge cast and practically every one of them is memorable and unique. Mifune is hilarious- he's one of the best physical comedians I've ever seen. The way he hoots and hollers while scrambling around like a monkey makes me laugh every time. That schtick might get tiring, though, if that was all there was to the character, but then he has his Oscar clip moment where he starts screaming at the other samurai about how their atrocities during war affect small farming communities, and the others realize he was from a farming community that was attacked by samurai. It's a brilliant performance. The leader of the samurai is sad and world-weary but incredibly noble. He has one sad speech about how his whole life has passed him by, and one powerful one where he orders the community to cooperate and explains how holding together is the only way they'll survive, and he has the noticeable quirk of always rubbing his newly bald head. The young samurai is eager and naive, and has a lovely romance, which ended cruelly but believably, given the time. Meanwhile, he's fascinated by one of the older samurai, the one who is always a completely stoic badass, and loses his poo poo when he dies (he seemed more attached to his mentor than his designated love interest). And then there was the farmer whose wife was with the bandits. We never quite figure out what happened, but it seems she'd rather die than go back with him. Maybe there's an explanation, but it seems we're meant to be kept wondering what their story was. I'm not good with remembering names, but the characters are unforgettable. The battles were brilliant every time. They were frantic, and you didn't often get to focus on any one person, but that made it feel much more like the chaos of a real battle. I also liked the very Lord of the Rings ending- the heroes win the battle for the sake of others, but get no personal satisfaction out of it. They watch the others celebrate, but aren't part of the celebration, simply watching the world moving on without them. I don't think I have enough thumbs to explain just how strong my reaction to this movie was.

Rating: 4/4

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

19. The Exorcist- My wife and I tried to watch this once, and both of us were just bored. We got about thirty minutes in, and it seemed like nothing happened. I don't ask for horror to be shocking from the get-go; some of my favorite horror (The Descent, Halloween, Paranormal Activity, many of Stephen King's better works, like Salem's Lot or Pet Sematary) start slow and take a while to build up, and the horror is more effective for it. I would have expected to see some creepy foreshadowing, though, or at least get me interested in the characters, but I don't remember anything remotely interesting happening. Maybe it does get better, but after half an hour, something should have sucked me in. Should I give it another try?

20. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman- like Kurosawa, it seems I'd have to go out of my way, even though I've heard lots about him. I know this is the one where the guy plays chess with death to save his soul (I once read a parody of this by Woody Allen, where a guy plays Gin Rummy with death to save his soul). That's about all I know, but I hope the chess game opens with 1. e4 c5, so I can point out that you should never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

22. A Face in the Crowd- Andy Griffith is Glenn Beck! Like I said earlier, the character sounds somewhat simplistic, but the clips I've seen look good, so I'd like to see how it works. Sounds like something I could watch with my dad, and maybe some others.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville:3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 29, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

No surprise, Short Cuts is fantastic. What a cast! God, Andie MacDowall is amazing. And Tom Waits. Tom. loving. Waits. It's not Altman's best - the music alone puts it beneath Nashville and the camerawork isn't even close to MASH, but it's certainly up there. Between this and the Three Colors, 1993 was a great year for characters weaving in and out of one another's lives.

...Matthew Modine is terrible though...

Jurgan, enjoy the one and only Superman.

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Hana-bi I like Kitano.

Billy Liar I own it in that 10 Year of Rialto set, but it just ain't gonna happen without a push.

Cairo Station I know nothing about it, except FFD really loves it.

The Wisdom of Crocodiles Halloween spooky times.

new: The Blue Angel I don't know much about this.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Mallafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10)

Total: 115
Best: All That Heaven Allows

penismightier fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 25, 2011

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

penismightier posted:

This warms my heart. The only thing I liked about that movie was Cat Stevens.

Also putting All That Heaven Allows on my list now.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

Let's go with the Picasso one.

Midnight Cowboy is a tricky one. It works best when it's portraying the grim life of Buck and Ratzo, and how they scrape by. But then you have boring flashbacks that don't add anything up, weird dream sequences and a drug fueled party that goes on for too long, it just breaks the flow of the film. It is dated in all of it's 60's, but not as dates as Easy Rider. The great parts really stick with you, and the ending is quite sad, so in the end, yeah, it's a great film.

Also I finally understand that episode of Seinfeld.

The Shame List:

Manhattan The other very famous Woody Allen film. Or so I'm told.

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Love the shorts, never got around to this one, for some reason.

Have watched so far 16 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A Serious Man wants you, Electronico6.

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) is loving ridiculous. Mostly in good ways though not entirely. To start with the bad, Mickey Rooney is nigh unbearable. His performance here is possibly worse than in Breakfast at Tiffany's, which is quite a feat. It's also pretty stagy, which isn't entirely a bad thing but can be annoying at times. The rest of the ridiculousness is pretty great, though. Everyone overacts but it's mostly in a very fun and enjoyable way, the standouts being Cagney and de Havilland, who is absolutely stunning. The story is your typical Shakespearean fluff, but the dialogue is mostly quite sharp and the tone of the film makes it the most enjoyable adaptation of his work I've seen. And, of course, there's the cinematography. It's what made me want to see this in the first place and it didn't disappoint. The glitter, the costumes and the soft focus give it all a hazy and dreamy atmosphere perfectly appropriate for the story. It works in a way that could only work in black and white. It all fades a bit towards the end, the film as a whole could do with a good 10 to 20 minute trimming, but still retains the atmosphere.

Updated list:

The Muppet Movie Yeah, I've never seen this.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10 , A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) 8/10

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've never heard Shakespeare described as "fluff".

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've never heard Shakespeare described as "fluff".

From what I've seen/read of his comedies I find their content to be fluff. Silly romances, contrived plots, simplistic characters, etc. His dramas fare better, though they still use storytelling devices I find really annoying. To me Shakespeare's talent was as wordsmith and poet, he could twist the language in all sorts of interesting ways, but when it comes to crafting a narrative he was adequate, no more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Muppet Movie Yeah, I've never seen this.

Well why don't you get things started?

I really liked A Serious Man, enough to put it up there on my favorite Coen films.(Fargo and Barton Fink) Not an easy film, it goes for the big and heavy questions and gives almost no answers, the ending itself is more abrupt than the one in No Country, but it all works out in a very strange way. Despite all the cynicism and fatalism present is quite humorous, and these black comedies are kind of a guilty pleasure to me, and this one is filled with delightfully awkward and absurd moments. The beginning short is also brilliant.

The Shame List:

Manhattan The other very famous Woody Allen film. Or so I'm told.

A Hard Day's Night and I been working like a dog.

Have watched so far 17 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man.