Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

I'm wondering whether or not we might see a heel turn here. We've not yet seen a Linear Guild cleric, and he would certainly fit the bill. Admittedly, it would take some plot-contrivance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Nosy_G posted:

I'm wondering whether or not we might see a heel turn here. We've not yet seen a Linear Guild cleric, and he would certainly fit the bill. Admittedly, it would take some plot-contrivance.

I think you've forgotten about the Linear Guild cleric, the female dwarf that worshipped Loki and fell in love with Durkon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MikeJF posted:

He's also one of Tarquin's cohorts with the whole rotating empires power-behind-the-thrones scam, so I suspect he's a pretty drat high level.
There's also the rather minor detail that in Tarquin's eyes, this is about to go from "that gladiator and Thog just had a really cool fight and, oddly, two elves had a wizard's duel for no good reason" to "Nale is attacking".

Nale's in so much trouble.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

CapnAndy posted:

There's also the rather minor detail that in Tarquin's eyes, this is about to go from "that gladiator and Thog just had a really cool fight and, oddly, two elves had a wizard's duel for no good reason" to "Nale is attacking".

We haven't seen Nale & his father banter yet, either, and I'm looking forward to that!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh man oh man oh boy oh man (I am excited)

Also can a high level cleric banish an outsider like Sabine?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
I am SO lovin' this comic. :)

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

QueerPope posted:

I think you've forgotten about the Linear Guild cleric, the female dwarf that worshipped Loki and fell in love with Durkon.

Yeah, but she's old news. In their second attack, they got a gnome druid to fill her role. But he got taken out too, so there should be another replacement somewhere. Other linerar guilders got replaced as well, remember?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

XkyRauh posted:

We haven't seen Nale & his father banter yet, either, and I'm looking forward to that!
Somehow this hadn't occurred to me but now I can't wait to see it.

VanSandman posted:

Also can a high level cleric banish an outsider like Sabine?
Even a mid-level one can. Higher levels could drop a banishment which does the same thing with a side of gently caress off. The main problem is those are very specialized spells and most clerics won't devote a spell slot to it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, Miko beat the entire team that one time and two or three pretty convincing rear end-kickings took place in Start of Darkness.

DM Railroading doesn't count.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

Tarquin already knows who Thog is.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html

He knows every single one of the original linear guild members and is trope savvy enough to know exactly what is going on.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

quote:

Destruction
Necromancy [Death]
Level: Clr 7, Death 7
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell instantly slays the subject and consumes its remains (but not its equipment and possessions) utterly. If the target’s Fortitude saving throw succeeds, it instead takes 10d6 points of damage. The only way to restore life to a character who has failed to save against this spell is to use true resurrection, a carefully worded wish spell followed by resurrection, or miracle.

Focus
A special holy (or unholy) symbol of silver marked with verses of anathema (cost 500 gp).

I'm sort of hoping for this.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

wdarkk posted:

I'm sort of hoping for this.

We've already seen Destruction cast in the flashy Cleric battle.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

New Comic

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I bet their base is out in the desert, where Roy and co. were searching earlier. Remember that eye?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Watching Nale get his poo poo ruined in a single round is awesome.

Also, you have to wonder what the hell Nale's build actually is, considering he has at least eight levels in sorceror.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

inthesto posted:

Also, you have to wonder what the hell Nale's build actually is, considering he has at least eight levels in sorceror.
Fighter/Rogue/Sorceror.

The joke, of course, is that he's a Bard, just needlessly complex.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So Malack's 11th level, at the absolute minimum. Probably more if Nale immediately ditched despite Durkon being level drained to hell and back.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

CapnAndy posted:

I never actually got that. Then again, I never actually played D&D, so. :v:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nale has a lot of HP for a terrible, terrible build.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Harm can't kill, it can only reduce Nale to 1 HP--which is why captain IsALizard followed up with a quickened cause wounds. Pity he flubbed the touch attack roll, otherwise this would have been a very sure kill.

The old character optimization board advice for optimizing a character without putting a lot of work in was, "Play a Cleric or Druid. Call yourself CoDzilla. Stomp around the city, breathing radioactive fire at terrified Japanese tourists."

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

3.5 Harm does 10 damage per caster level. Assuming the minimum level to cast harm that's 110 damage. Maybe Nale made his will save? He has a lot of sorcerer levels.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EDIT: Bugger, misread something. NEVER MIND.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
"How's the family?"

Wow that was ice loving cold!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Affi posted:

"How's the family?"

Wow that was ice loving cold!

Instantly in love with today's strip from the very get-go.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Were there not any other spells that could have inflicted a 1 round kill or was harm likely the most powerful spell he had?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Apocron posted:

Were there not any other spells that could have inflicted a 1 round kill or was harm likely the most powerful spell he had?

It's probably up there with them. It's a really nasty combination with quickened inflict wound.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Most of the save-or-die cleric spells do rather pitiful damage if the save is made. Harm will at least do half with the save. It's actually quite likely that Nale made the save and his build's HP was just barely enough to survive 5/level damage.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

CapnAndy posted:

Fighter/Rogue/Sorceror.

And incredibly ineffective. Never under any circumstances stack things with caster levels with things that do not grant caster levels, unless the thing that does not grant caster levels is an absurdly powerful PrC that only loses one or two caster levels.

Also, we got a call-back to that strip when Tarquin was introduced. He really did avoid telling them in order to increase the dramatic tension.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I was kinda hoping for more divine carnage. Where's the sonic-based damage spells? Where's Hold Person?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Vorgen posted:

I was kinda hoping for more divine carnage. Where's the sonic-based damage spells? Where's Hold Person?

Hold Person is a will save, which would be dumb vs Elan, and what for sonic based? Sound Burst? 1d8 damage? Leading off with Harm and finishing off with quickened inflict moderate (both are touch attacks) seems far better. Just sucks that he missed on the second one somehow. Stupid natural 1s/dex bonuses.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

terminal mehmet posted:

Stupid natural 1s/dex bonuses.

Stupid deux ex machina...

Malack makes me want to roll an evil cleric so bad.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gay Polymers posted:

Stupid deux ex machina...

Malack makes me want to roll an evil cleric so bad.

Didn't he claim to be a neutral cleric?

Or, at least, cleric to a non-evil Death god?

edit: He pointed out that Death-gods and their clerics can be neutral, but didn't specifically say he or his god were of that type, technically.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 20, 2011

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Personally, I'm still waiting for Durkon's Masked Debt Gourd to show up. Where is it???

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Bobulus posted:

Didn't he claim to be a neutral cleric?

Or, at least, cleric to a non-evil Death god?

edit: He pointed out that Death-gods and their clerics can be neutral, but didn't specifically say he or his god were of that type, technically.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html

I actually did play a True Neutral cleric that worshipped the Raven Queen for awhile, one of my favorite characters. I informed all of my comrades that they'd best have a very good reason to get resurrected if they should die, because I sure as hell wasn't going to endorse taking a soul back from my deity.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

terminal mehmet posted:

Hold Person is a will save, which would be dumb vs Elan, and what for sonic based? Sound Burst? 1d8 damage? Leading off with Harm and finishing off with quickened inflict moderate (both are touch attacks) seems far better. Just sucks that he missed on the second one somehow. Stupid natural 1s/dex bonuses.

Slay Living or Destruction would have easily ruined Nale's poo poo, since most of his levels are apparently in sorceror. Additionally, targeting will doesn't seem like too bad of an idea given that Harm worked, and since Nale is a multiclass to fighter and rogue, his will save is probably doo doo in comparison to real casters.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

inthesto posted:

Slay Living or Destruction would have easily ruined Nale's poo poo, since most of his levels are apparently in sorceror. Additionally, targeting will doesn't seem like too bad of an idea given that Harm worked, and since Nale is a multiclass to fighter and rogue, his will save is probably doo doo in comparison to real casters.

Harm still has the highest damage output for all of those in the event of a saving throw being made. If he had failed his saving throw, he's be pretty screwed for any of those spells.

edited more than once for maths:
Slay Living (Fort save, level 5 spell): death on fail. 3d6+1 per level on save. Assuming level 15, 33 damage max, 25.5 average.
Harm (Will save, level 6 spell): 10 per level, 15 levels = 150 max damage. Half damage on save = 75.
Destruction (Fort save, level 7 spell): death on fail. 10d6 on save = max of 60, 35 on average.

So, yeah, harm.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 20, 2011

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
:eng101: Harm is 10 damage per level, minimum of 110 for an 11th level caster who just got the spell, maximum 150, save for half. If he's capable of casting Destruction (a 7th level spell, thus requires a caster level of at least 13) then that's at least 130 points of damage, which could have easily wrecked Nale's poo poo, while saving for half leaves him as he is now. He might not have had any 7th level spell slots, since it was a quickened inflict moderate wounds spell (a 6th level spell assuming normal metamagic). It also depends on what he prepared that day, since he probably wasn't planning on facing many threats that can't be sorted with negative energy.

Really though, we've reached the point in 3.5e where everything is heavily tilted in the caster's favor, and it becomes a matter of finding the right save-or-die. For instance, if you wanted to completely ruin Nale's life in one of the most poetic ways, simply throw this spell at him.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

LightWarden posted:

:eng101: Harm is 10 damage per level, minimum of 110 for an 11th level caster who just got the spell, maximum 150, save for half.

You're right. what the hell was I looking at? ugh 3.5 hurts my brain.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Now I'm wondering if Malack's special diet is sinister:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0743.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Maybe Nale is using the Stalwart Sorcerer variant. It would net him two bonus HP a level and the weapon focus of his choice in exchange for his familiar, which we've never seen. If they're doing 75% of your HD as HP a level, that would result in his Sorcerer levels netting him more HP a level than Elan's Bard levels (3+2=5 vs. 4.5).