Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Veep, the upcoming american adaptation should be coming before any new The Thick of It, which as I understand is being pretty heavily overseen by Iannucci and Blackwell, and has a couple of actors from In the Loop so that should be worth checking out while we all wait impatiently for more TTOI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iannucci is working on Veep first, which will be an HBO equivalent of Thick of It starring Seinfeld lovely Julia Louis Dreyfuss.

Edit: that'll learn me not to walk away from a thread before replying.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

The pHo posted:

Iannucci is working on Veep first, which will be an HBO equivalent of Thick of It starring Seinfeld lovely Julia Louis Dreyfuss.

Edit: that'll learn me not to walk away from a thread before replying.

Wikiedia so take it for what it's worth.

wikipedia posted:

A fourth series, eight episodes long, has been commissioned. According to Iannucci, filming for the new series will begin in March 2012.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

meme posted:

Good suggestions, guys, I've seen burnistoun and Limmy's show, they're both great, but I've only seen one or two episodes of both. I don't get the hate for Mitchell and Webb look, but it strikes a particular chord with me, I certainly laugh more at it than my friends.

I tend to find that I want to like Mitchell and Webb's sketch shows far more than I do. I just never end up laughing at them too much. Was That Mitchell and Webb Look the one where they rely on CGI and graphical trickery for a bunch of stuff? I wasn't really wowed by that overall, the same way as The Wrong Door didn't really do much for me.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Is Holy Flying Circus still worth watching if you don't like Monty Python at all? I'm basically actively against Monty Python humour, but a lot of people who's opinion I trust in real life have said it was good.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Idioteque Dance posted:

Yeah why only one guy mention this yesterday? I caught it on iPlayer during the witching hour last night and loved it, one of BBC4's all-time highlights surely. The absurdity and fourth wall breaking was just right, although one thing I was really surprised by was that there wasn't a similar payoff to the Life of Brian gag with the tourette's and the stuttering guy who I really expected to start talking normally to each other at the end. Maybe they were just against lifting jokes from the film, which is fair enough, but it seemed so set up for it.

iPlayer link
iPlayer link in HD!!!

Watch it, else you are a silly silly fool.

This man is correct. I somehow preferred the original source, Cleese's eyes blazing at the 30 pieces of silver last second comment are majestic

e: Hoops, yes, its more about teaching organised religion is less important than making up your own mind. If you are staunchly religous, it might not be for you, but its not just wacky non sequiters.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 20, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Hoops posted:

Is Holy Flying Circus still worth watching if you don't like Monty Python at all? I'm basically actively against Monty Python humour, but a lot of people who's opinion I trust in real life have said it was good.

Please can you elaborate on this? Actively against it? Do you go to campaign rallies or something?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

thehustler posted:

Please can you elaborate on this? Actively against it? Do you go to campaign rallies or something?
If anyone quotes "he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy" in my prescence then I generally cut their tongue out and castrate them.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hoops posted:

If anyone quotes "he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy" in my prescence then I generally cut their tongue out and castrate them.

:downsrim: Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah!:downsrim:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hoops posted:

Calm down, big nose.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Oh god it's started.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't particularly like Monty Python either. I guess it's like art. You can see how it developed over time, and you can appreciate that in it's day a piece was ground-breaking. But, at the end of a day, some of it is still just hand prints on a cave wall.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

A lot of wrong people in this thread today.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b0162zbx/?t=26m50s

Absolutely amazing description of BBC4 on Holy Flying Circus.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I don't like it when the monty pythons dress up as old women because I think it is sexist THERE I SAID IT

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Wormophile posted:

I don't like it when the monty pythons dress up as old women because I think it is sexist THERE I SAID IT

It's also ageist. How easily we forget that ageism is an issue affecting more British people than ever, and only likely to get worse. For shame.

(I happen to love the Women of the Batley Townsmen's Guild's reenactment of Pearl Harbour and Hell's Grannies sketches)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Could someone explain to me what the point of Holy Flying Circus was? I'm sure there's some kind of grand cosmic irony in trying to write a pisstake of docudramas based around the Life of Brian controversy and ending up with "the kind of tenth-rate stuff that the Footlights would come up with on a wet Saturday afternoon".

Skip it, watch the rerun of the infamous Friday Night, Saturday Morning episode instead. Like most people I'd only ever seen clips, and what they (and the reconstruction) don't get across is how utterly shocking it is to see the complete and total intellectual dishonesty of two intelligent men constructing 40 minutes worth of spitefully bilious arguments that are entirely based on a false premise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016bgt2/Friday_Night_Saturday_Morning/

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Could someone explain to me what the point of Holy Flying Circus was? I'm sure there's some kind of grand cosmic irony in trying to write a pisstake of docudramas based around the Life of Brian controversy and ending up with "the kind of tenth-rate stuff that the Footlights would come up with on a wet Saturday afternoon".

Skip it, watch the rerun of the infamous Friday Night, Saturday Morning episode instead. Like most people I'd only ever seen clips, and what they (and the reconstruction) don't get across is how utterly shocking it is to see the complete and total intellectual dishonesty of two intelligent men constructing 40 minutes worth of spitefully bilious arguments that are entirely based on a false premise.

Yeah, thats what I said yesterday. Its a loving disgrace that the Bishop of Southwark ( at least he wasn't pissed and chucking someones kids toys out of the back seat of their car) and a supposed intellectual are so set in the mindset that religon cannot be questioned in in tooth or claw. Nothing like shouting over someone in the name of philosophy when they bring up Bertrand Russell. As I said earlier, that 30 pieces of silver was such a oval office's trick from someone who is supposed to advocate understanding and forgiveness.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Or people could watch Holy Flying Circus and come to their own conclusions instead of just writing it off and skipping it. :ironicat:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Don't think I've ever wanted to slap someone more than Ashleigh (or whatever the horribly bitchy one was called) on Educating Essex tonight.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Don't think I've ever wanted to slap someone more than Ashleigh (or whatever the horribly bitchy one was called) on Educating Essex tonight.
Meh, criticising a 15-year old girl for being bitchy is like criticising a 15-year old boy for wanking. They just can't help it, they'd go crazy if they didn't.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Just watched the "where are they now" Great British Bake Off. It was more of a recap the entire season one and then have five minutes of updates. But it's so lovely to see people doing well with their baking!

Also at the end the VO guy said to look out for JUNIOR Great British Bake Off on CBBC soon which can only promise to be ridiculously adorable. I want Paul Hollywood to make a little child cry. And Mary Berry to tell them all how wonderful they are. Between this and the celeb version, the BBC sure are cashing in on the show's popularity.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

BeeZee142 posted:

Between this and the celeb version, the BBC sure are cashing in on the show's popularity.

Gasp! That's not at all like the BBC to take something that's popular and then gently caress it to death!

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Sion posted:

Gasp! That's not at all like the BBC to take something that's popular and then gently caress it to death!
Compared to almost every other channel in the world, it isn't really.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Sion posted:

Gasp! That's not at all like every commissioner for every channel ever to take something that's popular and then gently caress it to death!
fixed.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Sion posted:

:sigh: I'd like to be hosed to death. What a way to go. :sigh:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hoops posted:

Compared to almost every other channel in the world, it isn't really.

Okay, I'll be over here with my 3 Dr Who spin offs, line of toys, books, CD's, videogames, advent calenders, trading card games, stationery and magazines minding my own business then shall I?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

fixed.

Point.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Surely the lasting popularity that's resulted in all of those things is evidence that it hasn't been hosed "to death"?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

It just seems a lot like the BBC are more willing than many channels to squeeze the life out of an IP. How many top gear books, DVDs, live shows and poo poo like that were made by the BBC? As far as I can see no other terrestrial channel shills its merchandise quite as hard as the BBC. I could be totally wrong though. It has been known to happen.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Sion posted:

It just seems a lot like the BBC are more willing than many channels to squeeze the life out of an IP. How many top gear books, DVDs, live shows and poo poo like that were made by the BBC? As far as I can see no other terrestrial channel shills its merchandise quite as hard as the BBC. I could be totally wrong though. It has been known to happen.

Interesting point, come to think of it. The BBC probably does have to sell it's own IPs harder than anyone else, because the other channels can make a lot of money from shilling other people's stuff (especially with the product placement rules changing).

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
Proof that Monty Python owns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irCA0zPvGjs

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Proof that Monty Python owns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irCA0zPvGjs

My personal favourite sketch.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

My personal favourite sketch.

My favourite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to22rRnK7gE

What a silly bunt.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sorry, but the correct answer is clearly the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top Of Other Things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-kfRREA8M

Shame, indeed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sion posted:

Okay, I'll be over here with my 3 Dr Who spin offs, line of toys, books, CD's, videogames, advent calenders, trading card games, stationery and magazines minding my own business then shall I?

Are you counting K9 and Company?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Are you counting K9 and Company?

Who wouldn't?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I'm watching Sky One's Spy, because apparently I can't help myself when it comes to inevitably bad non-BBC British comedy. To be fair to the show, the scenes that in no way involve Darren Boyd's character's smug and incredibly punchable little git of a son aren't bad (think Draco Malfoy without the lovable charm), since Robert Lindsay has decided to steal the show completely whenever he appears.

It's better than This is Jinsy so far, anyway.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Derren Brown's latest thing (on right now) is seeing whether or not he can hypnotise someone into murdering a celebrity at a public event.

He just got four participants to throw (what they believed to be) acid into the faces of four others.

Apparently.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They're going to kill Wagner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Derren Brown is the most powerfully erotic man in this or any other realm.