Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lemmi Caution posted:

Seriously though, all their guests sound about eighty years old, and I am not a young man myself.

We live in the age of internet streaming and satellite radio. There's no reason to ever listen to top 40 anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Why does everyone pretend that Nikki Cox is gorgeous for Jay Mohr's benefit?

I mean during the Unhappily Ever After show? Sure. But every pic I see of that bitch she's so busted now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemmi Caution posted:

Seriously though, all their guests sound about eighty years old, and I am not a young man myself.

If you are not Bob Odenkirk you aren't getting away with it.

For someone obsessed with people hitting some 1999 MTV standard of being hip you sure are pretending the only way to consume media is to just channel surf/turn the radio on and listen to random local stations. Most of the guests go 'yea I'm into (genre)' and all, and then yea when the charts have someone not of (genre) they don't know the work. That's totally reasonable and normal these days. I'm into a lot of music and all and I have no clue who's on the assorted rankings and where.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I am gonna try my best to make a good thread. This will be my first thread ever. Wish me luck!

edit:Well I went ahead and done did it. I hope it turned out okay. I am nervous cause it is my first thread. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions of how I can improve the OP let me know as well.

The Podcast Eating Contest:Dog Bones!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444191

Behold! A Elk! fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 19, 2011

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

Why does everyone pretend that Nikki Cox is gorgeous for Jay Mohr's benefit?

I mean during the Unhappily Ever After show? Sure. But every pic I see of that bitch she's so busted now.

Who is going to go into the man's house and say, "Yeah, your wife is pug ugly"?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
True enough. I guess the question is better phrased as, why does Jay Mohr have to get someone to agree how beautiful she is each podcast.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Loving Life Partner posted:

True enough. I guess the question is better phrased as, why does Jay Mohr have to get someone to agree how beautiful she is each podcast.
Because they both have massive ego problems.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Lemmi Caution posted:

Who Charted? has the "I know nothing about current music" angle pretty well covered with Howard Kremer. They might want to lay off the "I've never heard any music or seen any movies" type guest for a week or two. On their show where they talk about currently charting music and movies.

It's not so much that they are talking about something charting as making fun of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love the hosts, guests and concept of Who's Charted and listen most weeks, but the amount of times they do a movies chart just to find out that between the three of them they've seen maybe one of them... maybe do more nostalgic charts just so they have something to talk about. The bonus chart that's just an excuse to do a normal podcast interview doesn't do much for me either, I guess I'm too much of a real chart nerd and prefer them to cover stuff I wouldn't hear on other shows, as it's a pretty original premise.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Imagine if we had a Who Charted thread to discuss this in!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't get Who Charted. The basic format for every single chart they do is something like:

<Music or movie>
Howard: What is this poo poo? I've never heard of it before.
Guest I've never loving heard of: Me either/Yeah, it sure is poo poo, huh? Look at me I only listen to/watch indie stuff.

I guess I'm not the target audience since I love pop/top 40 music. I don't have a TV and rarely listen to the radio, half of the music on my ipod is stuff I heard for the first time when they covered it in Glee so it's all fresh to me. A show with just Kulap would be vastly more entertaining interesting.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't get Who Charted. The basic format for every single chart they do is something like:

<Music or movie>
Howard: What is this poo poo? I've never heard of it before.
Guest I've never loving heard of: Me either/Yeah, it sure is poo poo, huh? Look at me I only listen to/watch indie stuff.

I guess I'm not the target audience since I love pop/top 40 music. I don't have a TV and rarely listen to the radio, half of the music on my ipod is stuff I heard for the first time when they covered it in Glee so it's all fresh to me. A show with just Kulap would be vastly more entertaining interesting.

There's only been 2 or 3 guests I've "never loving heard of" but I almost never know the music they're talking about. That's not the point. The point is Howard, Kulap and the guest using the charts as a jumping off point for hilarity.

I can't think of a single guest who said "I only listen to/watch indie stuff" or anything approaching that.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

FitFortDanga posted:

There's only been 2 or 3 guests I've "never loving heard of" but I almost never know the music they're talking about. That's not the point. The point is Howard, Kulap and the guest using the charts as a jumping off point for hilarity.

I can't think of a single guest who said "I only listen to/watch indie stuff" or anything approaching that.

Bob Odenkirk was pretty self-righteous in that regard. I mean all the poo poo he kept saying about "Oh my kids are smart, they only listen to classical and jazz." I couldn't tell if it was a bit or not, but given the context I really don't think it was.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Also Aimee Mann

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lord Wexia posted:

Bob Odenkirk was pretty self-righteous in that regard. I mean all the poo poo he kept saying about "Oh my kids are smart, they only listen to classical and jazz." I couldn't tell if it was a bit or not, but given the context I really don't think it was.

Cool people listen to classical and jazz. :colbert:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lord Wexia posted:

I don't think he came off like that. He owned up when some of the songs were good/catchy, called out the ones he said sucked and talked about how eclectic his kids tastes were. He talked about the jazz in an unbelieving manner, like "where the gently caress did the kid pick that up?" and he was just happy that he doesn't have to listen to Kidz Bop.

Besides, anyone who listens to Who Charted for the guests' opinions on music* is doing it wrong.

*Andy Richter's perfect description of dance/rave music is the exception

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone listen to Totally Laime? I never followed the Earwolf Challenge or anything but I saw Totally Laime on the Earwolf site a couple of days ago and it's actually pretty neat. Some good episodes to start off with are Paul F. Tompkins, Andy Daly, Eddie Pepitone, Jen Kirkman and Paul Scheer. That's actually pretty much all I've listened to so far but I'm liking it.

They talk about Oprah too much though

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Flamazot posted:

Does anyone listen to Totally Laime? I never followed the Earwolf Challenge or anything but I saw Totally Laime on the Earwolf site a couple of days ago and it's actually pretty neat. Some good episodes to start off with are Paul F. Tompkins, Andy Daly, Eddie Pepitone, Jen Kirkman and Paul Scheer. That's actually pretty much all I've listened to so far but I'm liking it.

I listened to maybe 5 episodes when she was in the challenge, starting with the PFT one. I also listened to the recent Matt Besser ep. It's okay but unless it's a guest you really care about it's not very compelling listening. I think the Oprah bit is actually kinda funny in that they're so self-conscious about how terrible it is but they keep doing it anyway.

I have started subscribing to Little Dum Dum Club, however, and that's a lot more fun. It's like TOFOP's baby brother.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I loved the Erin Gibson episode, but then I love Erin Gibson. She's so dreamy

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Squint posted:

If people have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

Okay cool, I have some questions:

-How much of the content for the podcast is found by one of the readers and how much is submitted by the listeners? Does one of the readers just hunt down all the the really crazy individuals (like this "Roy Orbison in cling film" German in the new episode)?

-Have you ever run across a topic that everyone found too gross to do? Or something that you thought would be really funny going in, but just ended up not working out?

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

The 47 Reagans posted:

-How much of the content for the podcast is found by one of the readers and how much is submitted by the listeners? Does one of the readers just hunt down all the the really crazy individuals (like this "Roy Orbison in cling film" German in the new episode)?

The Roy-Orbison-in-cling-film episode was completely off the cuff. Off the cuff as in "okay we're all here what should we read oh hey I found this it's about Roy Orbison in cling film okay we're reading that." Generally, though, we have something ready and mined going into the recording. The Roy Orbison episode was an outlier.

As for reader submissions versus what we find ourselves, it's more common someone will submit either a few lines' worth of stuff or just tell us a topic we should look into. By far the most common submission is a lead on a crazy person or fanfiction author or forum that would likely be ripe for material. About 20% of our episodes stem from reader leads.

quote:

-Have you ever run across a topic that everyone found too gross to do? Or something that you thought would be really funny going in, but just ended up not working out?

Mining for stuff to read before an episode prevents the second point from happening too often. Going into a subject blind is a bad idea.

As for the first point, I recall that the MU* description episode (Reno Is Drest in a Kostoom) had some descriptions that were just too unsavory to be read. Oxy, for example, which I use my reader intro to mention, was one such description. There was also Dickflash, which is a flasher's forum. Most of the stuff was just generally "this guy's a creep, that guy's a creep," sure, but as we went in more there was also a disturbing number of ostensibly real-life stories of guys showing their old-man balls to underage girls, and we decided to pull the plug on that. That stuff isn't funny, it's just depressing and angering.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I spent a while watching kevin smith q&a sessions on YouTube. That guy is a great storyteller. But I'm not diving into his hours and hours of podcasts blind. Any recommendations for particularly good episodes?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Earlier is better with SModcast, I feel. Go back to the days before Zack and Miri came out. After that movie he became a huge pothead and fell into the stoner trap of only ever talking about what a huge pothead he is. There's some really great stuff in the early days, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't heard the episode in question but will hit it up tonight, but they're aware that the Roy Orbison thing is a gag right? It's years old.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Flamazot posted:

Does anyone listen to Totally Laime? I never followed the Earwolf Challenge or anything but I saw Totally Laime on the Earwolf site a couple of days ago and it's actually pretty neat.

This is probably superficial of me, but the host's voice is a little nasal or something and it's hard to listen to, although I'll give it a go for good guests. I also will never hear "Sidekick Andy" as anything except "Psychic Andy" no matter how many times I hear it.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I think it's an enjoyable program but I find it somewhat guest-specific since it can easily get meandering. Elisabeth was great on JJGo! though and I hope there's a boom in female comedy podcasting coming soon as well.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SKULE123 posted:

This is probably superficial of me, but the host's voice is a little nasal or something and it's hard to listen to, although I'll give it a go for good guests. I also will never hear "Sidekick Andy" as anything except "Psychic Andy" no matter how many times I hear it.

Maybe cause around episode 5 she started calling him "Psychic Andy?"

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Cromulent posted:

Because they both have massive ego problems.

When Bobcat Goldthwait was on WTF, he explained how Mohr will reserve tables at a comedy club when Goldthwait is performing, then back out at the last minute so the show is empty.

Nikki Cox used to be married to Bobcat.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

The pHo posted:

I haven't heard the episode in question but will hit it up tonight, but they're aware that the Roy Orbison thing is a gag right? It's years old.

Yeah, it's British guy doing a thing, but we didn't care. We needed something to read and it conveys such unattainable primordial joy over the process of wrapping Roy Orbison in cling film that the whole thing was pretty much irresistible. It's like what I imagine reading Ulillillia's work would be like, except one person is playing a character and one isn't.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
WTF 220 with Hannibal Buress, 22:15 before the interview starts.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

annatar posted:

WTF 220 with Hannibal Buress, 22:15 before the interview starts.

Yeah I noticed that too. I wonder if that's a new record for Maron.

Not a great interview, either.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Buress was great opening for Aziz Ansari this past spring though.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

Dancing Potato posted:

When Bobcat Goldthwait was on WTF, he explained how Mohr will reserve tables at a comedy club when Goldthwait is performing, then back out at the last minute so the show is empty.

I don't know how true this is. All I know is there is something about Mohr that creeps me out. I get a weird slimy vibe from him I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I like his stories and stuff but I can't listen anymore because I can't shake the feeling I get.
Part of it is the poo poo eating grin he always has that I can even hear it in his voice.

Gooch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 22, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gooch posted:

I don't know how true this is. All I know is there is something about Mohr that creeps me out. I get a weird slimy vibe from him I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I like his stories and stuff but I can't listen anymore because I can't shake the feeling I get.

ME TOO! I can never figure it out but I never enjoy watching/listening to him.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Dancing Potato posted:

They weren't married but they dated a really long time. Nikki explained their relationship & breakup from her point of view on Mohr stories. It was an early episode. They both dispute Goldthwaits claims about Jay sabotaging his shows. Too much he said she said to know what's really happening.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I wouldn't think you'd have to reserve tables and abandon them at a Bobcat gig to get an empty room

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

FitFortDanga posted:

Not a great interview, either.

The two facts are probably related. Was that Maron's urologist discussion?

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Holy crap. Carrot Top on WTF on Monday...I couldn't be more terrified or excited about a guest. There is a preview on his site that I haven't been able to listen to yet. Yup...Carrot Top.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Flamazot posted:

I was really disappointed this show won the Earwolf Challenge. Firstly because they're already sort of LA insiders and part of what was appealing to me about TEC was that it had this Pretty Woman aspect where an amateur podcast could be elevated.

More importantly though, I just don't think we need another show like this. In a world with WTF, is there room for another interview style show with comedians? I'm pretty sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

The Capm posted:

I was really disappointed this show won the Earwolf Challenge. Firstly because they're already sort of LA insiders and part of what was appealing to me about TEC was that it had this Pretty Woman aspect where an amateur podcast could be elevated.

Yeah, exactly. The whole deal with the Earwolf Challenge was that it was supposed to be this thing where amateur podcasts could get a shot at "making it" (insofar as you can "make it" doing just a podcast), but Totally Laime has sort of "made it" already, so they come in being able to pull down big(ish) names and sweep the whole thing. Personally, I would have liked for Little Dum Dum Club to have won.

The whole thing was very strangely put together, though. There were guest judges each week, which is great for Earwolf's namedropping but not so great for the entrants. So, what you had was every week there's someone different coming on who doesn't know much, if anything, about each podcast, so they have to sort of provide generic comedy/recording advice in lieu of actual persistently seeing the entrants progress each week. It was hard not to get disillusioned with the process, and pretty early on we realized we were the one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other entrant with regards to format, advancing pretty much on the fiat of the guest judge for a given week.

We did take some good lessons from it, though, for sure.

Squint fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 23, 2011

• Locked thread