Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
What? Of course food you make can be bad for you. There's a weird strain underlying GWS where people get aggressive whenever anyone mentions health considerations.

I've had high cholesterol since I was a teenager, and saturated fat is closely connected to cholesterol. Coconut milk has a really high amount of saturated fat, about half that of butter. I think that's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

wafflesnsegways posted:

What? Of course food you make can be bad for you. There's a weird strain underlying GWS where people get aggressive whenever anyone mentions health considerations.

I've had high cholesterol since I was a teenager, and saturated fat is closely connected to cholesterol. Coconut milk has a really high amount of saturated fat, about half that of butter. I think that's good to know.

Dietary cholesterol is not a factor for cholesterol levels in your body.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth3.htm

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There is a program to make people afraid of food so that you can then sell them less scary food. Low fat! Low sodium! Gluten free! The best dietary advice I ever heard was that you should never eat anything you've seen advertised. I know the more copy I see on a food item the less interested I am in it. You don't need to advertise stuff that's actually food that people are supposed to eat, because eating is one of like three things your body knows how to do. You need to advertise when people need to be convinced to eat things. And if people need to spend millions of dollars to convince you to eat something, there might be a reason you weren't eating it in the first place. People all over the world eat coconut milk all the time. I promise you, the reason you're fat is the Doritos, not the Thai curry you made yourself at home.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am going to be in Edinburgh today for a conference at the Hotel Missoni. Where should I eat for lunch and dinner? I'm up for anything, but preferably not Indian or Chinese as there is enough of that in Glasgow.

Budget: £40 or less per meal.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I fancy making a Gratin Dauphinois, and I just found this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3253/ultimate-gratin-dauphinois

It seems easy enough for a beginner like me, but I have a couple of questions since I've no experience with this kind of dish:

1) It has only 1 clove of garlic for a kilo of potatoes. This seems like very little, I'd have thought 4-6 would be better, or would that be overpowering? (I'm a smoker, so I prefer food with a stronger flavour)

2) The recipe asks for desiree potatoes, but I live in the Netherlands and I don't know if I would be able to find them. Would normal, medium size potatoes be okay?

Of course, if anyone has a better recipe I'd be quite happy to see that too.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
For the potatoes, try getting "Vastkokende aardappelen". They'll hold up a lot better in the gratin. As for the garlic, 4-6 is likely overpowering, but if you like really garlicky potatoes, more power to you, I guess. :)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I wouldn't go too heavy on the garlic, it can be quite overpowering for a gratin. Believe me, I've tried. Sometimes less is really more.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll split the difference with the garlic and just add 3.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

oRenj9 posted:

Does anybody have a good, Lebanese falafel recipe? Last weekend, I went to a festival and there was a food booth set up by the local Lebanese Catholic church serving authentic Lebanese food. I had a falafel and I swear it was the best drat falafel I have ever had.
I make the lebanese kind at home, and prefer it to the traditional kind. It calls for an even split of soaked chickpeas, and soaked split peas. The chickpeas soak overnight, and the split peas soak for 2 hours. Grind the split peas down to a puree in a food processor. Remove from processor, and do the same for the chickpeas, parsley, chiles, coriander seed, and salt (all ground together at once). You can add a bit of water to help the chickpeas grind down, but go easy on the water. When you mix the split pea and chickpea/herb/spice puree together, you have enough binding to form falafel that you can deep fry. If you've added too much water (which is frequently a problem), throw in a few handfuls of pita breadcrumbs for binding.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

Kuros posted:

Is there a good book that teaches basic/advanced cooking techniques and terms? I like cooking but sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I read a recipe book.

If you're a visual person, then Hungry In Brooklyn isn't a bad subscribe on Youtube.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Corned beef went over well with the roommates. Some leftovers were consigned to lunches, some were consigned to the roommate who swears he knows how to hash it.

But on to flounder. Picked up some frozen flounder cutlets and I feel like frying 'em. Would a 1:1 flour/cornbread coating along with about a teaspoon of dried rosemary and a teaspoon of crushed black pepper work as a rub?

ItalicSquirrels fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 20, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Hawkgirl posted:

So, I think I've now eaten all remaining chicken breast in my house with this meal. But just in case I'm hungry one day and all there is is chicken breast, is there anything on earth I can do to make it not suck?

You've already gotten some good answers, but I thought I'd mention frying. Last night I cut some chicken breasts into finger-width strips. Dredged in seasoned flour, dipped in egg wash, then rolled in fresh coarse bread crumbs and pan fried in canola with a little sesame oil. They were awesome. The breading came out super nice and crunchy, the chicken was moist and perfect, and they weren't greasy at all. Sooooo good.

I think chicken strips like that are one of the few preparations where breast meat is actually better than thighs.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Hey guys,

I'm making cottage pie tonight, but want to stop the potato sinking in to it. I'm going to be making the gravy thicker, but can someone give some tips on how to do the potatoes and putting it on top to stop it happening? Cheers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

heeebrew posted:

Which is completely relevant to the fact that he was talking about saturated fat and didn't bring up dietary cholesterol at all. It's not like coconut milk has it in there, anyway.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

heeebrew posted:

That's true, but we were talking about saturated fat, not dietary cholesterol.

I'm sure there's a shoddy contrarian study out there saying saturated fat doesn't affect cholesterol, but I'm going to trust the overwhelming consensus in the medical community, and my own personal experience, and say that it does.

Edit: ^^^thanks mediaphage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Would a metal pot with aluminum foil over the top be a reasonable facsimile of a proper baking vessel to do something like a pot roast or no knead bread? Ovens are essentially unknown where I live, but I got a toaster oven and I have a shallow pot that will fit inside of it. I lack a lid and figure aluminum foil should be good enough, considering how ghetto the entire setup is.

Finding something real and sized to fit in a toaster oven would be a feat, this is probably the best I'm going to do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Grand Fromage posted:

Would a metal pot with aluminum foil over the top be a reasonable facsimile of a proper baking vessel to do something like a pot roast or no knead bread? Ovens are essentially unknown where I live, but I got a toaster oven and I have a shallow pot that will fit inside of it. I lack a lid and figure aluminum foil should be good enough, considering how ghetto the entire setup is.

Finding something real and sized to fit in a toaster oven would be a feat, this is probably the best I'm going to do.

Yes. Just fold it tightly over the top to keep steam in.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

Hey guys,

I'm making cottage pie tonight, but want to stop the potato sinking in to it. I'm going to be making the gravy thicker, but can someone give some tips on how to do the potatoes and putting it on top to stop it happening? Cheers.

If you're potatoes are sinking into the sauce, then either your gravy is too thin or you have too much gravy for the amount of meat and vegetables. Also try not to add too much potato at once, spoon it in in lumps about 1/2 the size of a tennis ball. Use a palette knife or spatula to spread it evenly, then use a fork to make little ridges over it. You may also want to brush a little milk over the top to help it brown, but it's not really necessary.

For the mash itself:

800g medium potatoes, peeled and quartered

Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until soft. Then put them in a bowl, add 40g of cubed butter, some salt (optional) and a couple of splashes of milk, then mash it until there are no more lumps.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 20, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

wafflesnsegways posted:

That's true, but we were talking about saturated fat, not dietary cholesterol.

I'm sure there's a shoddy contrarian study out there saying saturated fat doesn't affect cholesterol, but I'm going to trust the overwhelming consensus in the medical community, and my own personal experience, and say that it does.

Edit: ^^^thanks mediaphage.

It's still not a problem. Otherwise everyone in south India would be dying of heart attacks every day but last I checked they have a growing population. Which brings us back to the Doritos.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF COCONUT MILK COCONUT MILK IS TASTY.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

dino. posted:

Awesome Lebanese Falafel Recipe

Thanks so much for this.

Steakandchips posted:

I am going to be in Edinburgh today for a conference at the Hotel Missoni. Where should I eat for lunch and dinner? I'm up for anything, but preferably not Indian or Chinese as there is enough of that in Glasgow.

I had a fantastic meal last October at Wedgewood. And it is near your hotel.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's still not a problem. Otherwise everyone in south India would be dying of heart attacks every day but last I checked they have a growing population. Which brings us back to the Doritos.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF COCONUT MILK COCONUT MILK IS TASTY.

Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in India. India also has a much lower average life expectancy than we do here. And population growth has very little to do with the overall health of a population - access to birth control is the primary factor.

Now, most evidence points to trans fats as the main bad guy in diet-influenced high cholesterol, so you're right, coconut milk is not going to raise your "bad" cholesterol. In fact, there's some evidence that lauric acid, which is prevalent in coconut milk, can increase your HDL without increasing your LDL. So I agree with you, coconut milk probably isn't one of the foods someone with high cholesterol should worry about. But pointing to the health of people in countries that traditionally consume a lot of it isn't going to support your premise.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
As someone who's had high cholesterol since my teens, I've dropped my cholesterol over 120 points in the last 9 months on a high protein, high fat (lol carbs) diet, along with working out and not eating fast food or prepackaged foods.

I basically only drink coconut milk and protein powder erryday.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I'm currently in Spain and I want to take some jamon home with me. I'm going back to the US via England, though, and I can't seem to get a straight answer online as to if bringing in cured meat from an EU country to England is allowed or not.
If it isn't, I might just buy some in London. (I'm aware bringing cured meats into the US is a no-no, but I'd just as soon not double my chances of confiscation).

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Jenkin posted:

I'm currently in Spain and I want to take some jamon home with me. I'm going back to the US via England, though, and I can't seem to get a straight answer online as to if bringing in cured meat from an EU country to England is allowed or not.
If it isn't, I might just buy some in London. (I'm aware bringing cured meats into the US is a no-no, but I'd just as soon not double my chances of confiscation).

What exactly are you asking here? Where is "home"? If it's the US, there's basically no chance. Sorry.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

You can get both kinds in the States, legitimately imported. They're a little pricey, but then, I don't know how much they cost in Spain, so I can't guess at the markup.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jenkin posted:

Probably not; they're really strict about uncertified food imports, but if you stuff it in your cargo hold luggage, I doubt anyone will search it.

If they do, just claim ignorance.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Junior G-man posted:

Probably not; they're really strict about uncertified food imports, but if you stuff it in your cargo hold luggage, I doubt anyone will search it.

If they do, just claim ignorance.

This is customs entering the UK?

Blah, I might just roll the dice and mail it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Sciencetastic hooked me the gently caress up:
Lobster Thermidor at Ondine, Edinburgh:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

^^ I want that so bad. Give me that now.

Jenkin posted:

Well, I may be a northern European whiteboy, but I've never had my bags checked at Heathrow, nor has anyone I know of, especially not the stuff that goes in the cargo hold.

Mailing is fine, but that's gonna be an expensive joke.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Hawkgirl posted:

So, I think I've now eaten all remaining chicken breast in my house with this meal. But just in case I'm hungry one day and all there is is chicken breast, is there anything on earth I can do to make it not suck?

I like all the ideas already, but maybe you (or someone!) could try this:
http://forfood.rezimo.com/2007/10/homemade-chicken-nuggets-mcdonalds-style-recipe/

And tell me/us how it goes. :D

RazorBunny posted:

Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in India. India also has a much lower average life expectancy than we do here. And population growth has very little to do with the overall health of a population - access to birth control is the primary factor.

On the other hand, I don't think many people in India get Alzheimers (perhaps many do not live long enough to reach the possibility of it), and that may be attributed to the constant consumption of coconut milk. I'm not about to do a pubmed search, but some people think that a high fat diet may mitigate Alzheimer progression, and it makes some sense since the protective myelin around the nerves is made of lipids.

I'm not advocating drinking coconut milk every day, but don't be scared to consume it periodically.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Jenkin posted:

Any meat brought in from the EU must be declared, but if it is from a reputable source, it will be allowed in and without import tariffs.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

I make the lebanese kind at home, and prefer it to the traditional kind. It calls for an even split of soaked chickpeas, and soaked split peas. The chickpeas soak overnight, and the split peas soak for 2 hours. Grind the split peas down to a puree in a food processor. Remove from processor, and do the same for the chickpeas, parsley, chiles, coriander seed, and salt (all ground together at once). You can add a bit of water to help the chickpeas grind down, but go easy on the water. When you mix the split pea and chickpea/herb/spice puree together, you have enough binding to form falafel that you can deep fry. If you've added too much water (which is frequently a problem), throw in a few handfuls of pita breadcrumbs for binding.
Split peas, eh? Yellow or green? I'll have to try this. My half-Sudanese wife insists there should be fava beans in felafels, but I'm having the damndest time finding any out in my area.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Split peas, eh? Yellow or green? I'll have to try this. My half-Sudanese wife insists there should be fava beans in felafels, but I'm having the damndest time finding any out in my area.

Ask/look for broad beans, I've seen favas described that way in local groceries. Depending on where you are, you might also look for ethnic grocery stores, they're more likely to have a wide produce variety.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Wow I really didn't expect that huge derail, sorry. Although, it was kind of interesting to watch heads explode.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I've been trying to cook more and more from scratch lately, but I'm a little stumped how to go about approximating a prepackaged recipe.

Basically, the prepackaged method is chop up potatoes, mix chopped potatoes with oil and pre-packaged onion soup, and bake. (as seen on the back of the box)

Any recipes for this sort of thing without the dehydrated prepackaged onion soup? Google searches just get me dozens of "recipes" identical to the above link, except without the name brand.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

I use light coconut milk personally. It's not as unctuous as the real thing, but it scratches the itch for me (coconut is my favorite flavor).

E: didn't mean to continue the derail.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 20, 2011

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Iunnrais posted:

I've been trying to cook more and more from scratch lately, but I'm a little stumped how to go about approximating a prepackaged recipe.

Basically, the prepackaged method is chop up potatoes, mix chopped potatoes with oil and pre-packaged onion soup, and bake. (as seen on the back of the box)

Any recipes for this sort of thing without the dehydrated prepackaged onion soup? Google searches just get me dozens of "recipes" identical to the above link, except without the name brand.

You can try to approximate the powder, which probably looks something like this:
8 tsp. dry minced onion
1 tsp. onion powder
4 tsp. beef bouillon or 4 cubes
1/4 tsp. celery salt

Or, you could caramelize some diced onions, adding in minced garlic and a little bit of celery seed at the end, and toss the potatoes in that mixture with a little oil. If you're doing baked fry wedges or whatever, roasting them with a slathering of oil and tossing with garlic, herbs (and onion powder if that's what you're really looking for), and parmesan after cooking works well, too.

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Iunnrais posted:

If you're just looking for a good recipe for roasted potatoes you can have that easily enough. If however you are looking for that exact taste you might as well use the packaged mix because you will need to use the same ingredients and just blend them yourself. Tossing potatoes with minced garlic, some rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper will give you delicious roasted potatoes though.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

SYFY HYPHY posted:

You can try to approximate the powder, which probably looks something like this:
8 tsp. dry minced onion
1 tsp. onion powder
4 tsp. beef bouillon or 4 cubes
1/4 tsp. celery salt

Or, you could caramelize some diced onions, adding in minced garlic and a little bit of celery seed at the end, and toss the potatoes in that mixture with a little oil. If you're doing baked fry wedges or whatever, roasting them with a slathering of oil and tossing with garlic, herbs (and onion powder if that's what you're really looking for), and parmesan after cooking works well, too.

Hmm... the caramelized onions sounds promising and delicious. Yeah, I don't necessarily want the exact taste, I want something good and fresh that's vaguely similar in that oniony way.

I will try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

How do I make The Best Sauteed Mushrooms? Currently I just cook on high heat with salt, pepper, and garlic, and it's mighty good. But what would take it over the top?
A pound of onions sauteed in butter along with the mushrooms.

Mushrooms and onions are BFF's and should never be separated.