Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

mikey triumph posted:

An interesting aspect of the Drowned God theology is the plurality its followers embrace. Aeron Damphair acknowledges multiple gods while giving sole fealty to only one. Victarion follows suit, by staying true to his Drowned God faith while simultaneously acknowledging the existence of the totalitarian mono-god R'hllor, even making human sacrifices to it! Given his past (former wife, murdered only because of Euron), Victarion might be a person inclined toward monogamy, all which would explain the apparent dissonance in his sacrifice of the virgins.

The Ironborn are just Viking Israelites. They are the chosen people of the evil god. Of course the god in the old-testament is evil so it's really not much a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My problem with AFFC/ADWD is that both books have few moments of genuine entertainment. The plot crawls and you're left with not much to talk about afterward (except for Theon's penis-or-no-penis, of course). I don't enjoy reading when it feels like a tedious chore, and getting through ADWD required me to skip entire POVs. The fact that I didn't miss anything significant by doing so is really telling of the story's quality.

I remain hopeful for the next book.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mikey triumph posted:

If this guy pulls a Geoffrey Chaucer on us I'm going to write the last two books myself.

Kylaer already did this.

VaultAggie posted:

I think Littlefinger is the only character [other than Motherfucking BRONN] to progress his status throughout the entire series, another reason why he loving owns.

This Man Speaks Truth

mikey triumph posted:

The worst part about ADWD for me was not getting to find out what Petyr and Sansa are getting up to in the Vale (probably loving poo poo up for "The Man")

I don't think he's loving up "The Man's" poo poo :pedo: (Why yes I find a man who happens to be an hebephile awesome. When compared to a certain fan-favorite who murdered a whore because she turned out not to love him, I think the choice is clear :colbert:)

Azure_Horizon posted:

Nope, I'm pretty sure it was AFFC/ADWD. This is getting amusing.

I don't think you quite get yet.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

I really enjoyed anything by Abercrombie, Bakker, or Erikson. It IS okay to love bad novels.

I'm familiar with (and a huge fan of) the other two, but what's this Bakker gentleman all about?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

my cat is norris posted:

My problem with AFFC/ADWD is that both books have few moments of genuine entertainment. The plot crawls and you're left with not much to talk about afterward (except for Theon's penis-or-no-penis, of course). I don't enjoy reading when it feels like a tedious chore, and getting through ADWD required me to skip entire POVs. The fact that I didn't miss anything significant by doing so is really telling of the story's quality.

I remain hopeful for the next book.

Precisely how I too felt, you saucy little vixen you.

Could it be that simply to get past we foaming at the mouth fans and our clamoring for the next books, the gurm simply wrote :words: rather than substance? Maybe he took what he intended to be side novelas and smooshed them in to bulk up the word count?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
We've been over this. He had to fix a fuckup he made with a timeskip he intended to insert, and then spent five years reworking the plot and doing the usual "write a ton of words that you'll edit down after everything's set up" thing, and then whoops it's been five years and he has to poo poo a book out. So instead of eating red berries he just handed them what he'd actually written with a beginning/middle/end, figuring he'd hand in the rest a year later. Course then he couldn't just release 200 pages of everyone's favorite characters after giving them 800 of people they didn't give a poo poo about (and Littlefinger and Jaime) so he had to pad it out by adding neeps and the case of the missing whore.

e: someone draw up a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys-style "The Case of the Missing Whore" book cover.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Kekekela posted:

I'm familiar with (and a huge fan of) the other two, but what's this Bakker gentleman all about?

I enjoy Bakker's books. People confuse a lot of the issues represented in the books so they think it's poor writing. Dude is releasing the final book of the second trilogy next year, so you got five completed books to not wait around for. It's your basic normal people scrambling like mad to survive the manipulations of a cold calculating god story.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Simon Draskovic posted:

I seriously doubt that 500 years from now, high school students will be forced to read "A Game of Thrones" in English class. If they do, rape will be a part of the oral anal practical exam.

Chaucer's actually got one up on GRRM on that score -- he actually was a rapist in real life.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

whowhatwhere posted:

We've been over this. He had to fix a fuckup he made with a timeskip he intended to insert, and then spent five years reworking the plot

Sorry, I never bought this rubbish. If anything it reinforces my suspicion that he really doesn't have even a rough outline for the series at this point. Also, it doesn't excuse crap like expanding on inane pages of "those mountains are named after teets" and menus being described over the span of pages rather than paragraphs.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Did I say it excused it? I'm explaining why he padded poo poo out. The teats bit was because GRRM is a perv and needed to entertain himself while he padded the piece-moving out.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Fog Tripper posted:

Sorry, I never bought this rubbish. If anything it reinforces my suspicion that he really doesn't have even a rough outline for the series at this point. Also, it doesn't excuse crap like expanding on inane pages of "those mountains are named after teets" and menus being described over the span of pages rather than paragraphs.

If you really don't think he even had a "rough outline" then you're basically ignoring the piles of evidence already present in the books that lots of things have been planned out for a long time.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sexpansion posted:

If you really don't think he even had a "rough outline" then you're basically ignoring the piles of evidence already present in the books that lots of things have been planned out for a long time.

Evidence?

There is just as much "evidence" that he wrote a bunch of open-ended stuff in the first couple books that he might link to in the future.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sexpansion posted:

Gurm has flat out said that he doesn't outline. There might be a thing or two he's foreshadowing, but at the same time I'm increasingly of the opinion that he's so far up his own rear end with regard to his fandom that the whole thing is Heisenberged at this point.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Wellll, I think he probably does have a rough outline in the sense of a vague notion of how it all ends. Except, he has no idea how he's planning to get there at this point. I think he's even said as much before, blathering about calling it an 'organic' writing style and so an and so forth. Except that really doesn't excuse the meandering mess that's resulted, especially lately.

I really both wanted and expected to like ADWD. I even enjoyed AFFC when it came out. But the longer ADWD went on, just the more... tired I was with it, and it felt more and more like a slog. It had points of interest, and it had parts I liked, but I just felt like it turned POVs that I used to like dry and bland, and things that should have been more entertaining than they were just... boring.

ADWD made me sad. :(

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Everytime you read a word from ADWD, baby Jesus cries and slits his wrists. Good job guys, you killed Jesus and you're all Hitler.
Also, he might have had an outline at one point, but then he realized: Holy poo poo, Dany's story doesn't actually go anywhere. So he sat for 6 years not knowing what to do with Dany not realizing that invasion chapters could in fact not suck (assuming she got brutally murdered in the process). So instead he decided to make her as obnoxious and unreadable as possible.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 19, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Please. If crucifixion and the slaughter of every male infant in Bethlehem couldn't keep baby Jesus down, a little Linkin Park and cutting to feel the pain isn't gonna do him in.

You're all still Hitler though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There's a little bit of Hitler inside us all. :glomp:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

IRQ posted:

I think Dany poo poo that part out.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

IRQ posted:

I can't tell if he's inside me or I'm inside him.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
GRRM knows exactly how it all began, and how it all shall end. He is the Alpha and the Omega, the salacious pizza and the runny pile of poo poo, the lamprey and the pie.

Bakker loving blows, by the way.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's a could of weird lines in a Storm of Swords: Tywin references Lady Catelyn as if she was still alive. That whole chapter seems to have been transplanted from earlier in the book.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

In what way? I know I still refer to my grandpa as if he's alive, usually in the sense of "Arnold's a loving dick."

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Well good thing Lady Stark is still around!

I still refer to GRRM and his raping as though his dick is not impotent and clogged with poo poo.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

Well good thing Lady Stark is still around!

I still refer to GRRM and his raping as though his dick is not impotent and clogged with poo poo.

Hey how well would you clean something you haven't been able to see in years?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

neongrey posted:

Hey how well would you clean something you haven't been able to see in years?

It involves a forklift, floodlights, and a power washer. Ty usually does the honors.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's very kind of Sea World to allow them to borrow the facilities.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IRQ posted:

It involves a Leman Russ, floodlights, and power armor. Brother-Captain Ty usually does the honors.

MORALE BROKEN, flee 2d6 towards closest table edge!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So Gurm isn't gonna start writing till after football season, he'll be doing publicity and traveling for the second season's premier in April, he's gotta go to all his conventions during the summer, and then you have a few weeks after that that won't be consumed by football or the holidays. We'll be lucky if he writes 100 pages of WoW in 2012. Jesus, this next book is gonna make the 6-year wait for DwD seem like brevity itself.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

savinhill posted:

So Gurm isn't gonna start writing till after football season, he'll be doing publicity and traveling for the second season's premier in April, he's gotta go to all his conventions during the summer, and then you have a few weeks after that that won't be consumed by football or the holidays. We'll be lucky if he writes 100 pages of WoW in 2012. Jesus, this next book is gonna make the 6-year wait for DwD seem like brevity itself.

I'm really hoping that the HBO show forces his hand a little. Assuming HBO does the smart thing, trims a bathtub full of fat and distills AFFC/ADWD into one season, the Martin really only has a few years (2014?) for WoW to come out, and if he waits even that long, HBO might catch up to him.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

savinhill posted:

Hopefully the fat man can smell the pungent aroma of death rapidly approaching his aging, fat body (64 years old) and will at least knock out a couple chapters during half-times and pregame shows.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

cheese posted:

I'm really hoping that the HBO show forces his hand a little. Assuming HBO does the smart thing, trims a bathtub full of fat and distills AFFC/ADWD into one season, the Martin really only has a few years (2014?) for WoW to come out, and if he waits even that long, HBO might catch up to him.
He already said that he wasn't gonna start writing again until next year, that just doesn't sound to me like a guy who's feeling pressure from anywhere.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
He's also said no way in hell will he allow anyone to finish the series when he dies (by haunting maybe?) so add all that together and he's saying "gently caress you and all the money you've given me, fans."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maytag posted:

He's also said no way in hell will he allow anyone to finish the series when he dies (by haunting maybe?) so add all that together and he's saying "gently caress you and all the money you've given me, fans."

He basically said that 6-7 years ago when Robert Jordan said he was dying as a great big gently caress you to fans because he is an absolute fucker. A beloved (and productive) fantasy writer was sentenced to death, and Gurm's response was to, as a petulant child, bitch that no nobody would ever finish HIS series, because people dared question him about his health as a 60+ year old fatass.

Robert Jordan is dead and has produced more books than Gurm, and they were both actually really good! (sidebar: If you are reading this thread and haven't read Brandon Sanderson, you should).

Gurm is basically an absolute fucker, but the bad thread has been saying that for years.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

rejutka posted:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

In what way? I know I still refer to my grandpa as if he's alive, usually in the sense of "Arnold's a loving dick."

quote:

“Did Varys mention this?” He moved closer to the fire, to let his father see. Lord Tywin pushed himself out of his chair, breath hissing between his teeth.

“Who did this? If Lady Catelyn thinks—”

“Lady Catelyn held a sword to my throat and made me swear to return her daughters. This was your goat’s work. Vargo Hoat, the Lord of Harrenhal!”

It just strikes me as odd. Reading through the earlier books again and you see all sorts of nods to other, later events like the Red Wedding.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

He basically said that 6-7 years ago when Robert Jordan said he was dying as a great big gently caress you to fans because he is an absolute fucker. A beloved (and productive) fantasy writer was sentenced to death, and Gurm's response was to, as a petulant child, bitch that no nobody would ever finish HIS series, because people dared question him about his health as a 60+ year old fatass.

To be a horrible wildcard and defend Gurm for a bit, it was in response to everyone saying "oh you HAVE to write the books faster now because you could end up like Robert Jordan!"

He was being an rear end in a top hat to assholes.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

To be a horrible wildcard and defend Gurm for a bit, it was in response to everyone saying "oh you HAVE to write the books faster now because you could end up like Robert Jordan!"

You mean he could end up dying before he finishes another long boring bad book in a long boring bad series?

:rimshot:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

And in the end its the Gurm who abides, pumping away at OUR assholes while we toss money at him for another round of pain/pleasure. It hurts... so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

It just strikes me as odd. Reading through the earlier books again and you see all sorts of nods to other, later events like the Red Wedding.

How soon after is it? They may not have known she was dead yet, even if Tywin knew the wedding would go sour like it did. Am I misremembering, or didn't it go totally out of hand and only Robb was supposed to die for besmirching his promise?