Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Well, I've run some ads now for the last week, and I won't be renewing.

17 views from 4,592 impressions isn't worth it. That breaks down so far to 25 cents a view. It's only 20 cents to list something new. I would have been better off spreading out my notebook listings over the week and posting 3 every day. I would have received more views from that.

I also wish that I had just listed each wallet twice instead of listing each wallet once with a quantity of two. Oh well, lesson learned.

ugh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Did the ad link directly to your shop or an SA-Mart thread? I find that creating a thread for your shop and linking to that gets a good amount of customers.

Also this note is the perfect segue into asking about the Goon Christmas Banner! Since I'm in charge of the etsy team I figure I'd be the first to bring this up.

Last year us craft goons created a mega-thread in SA-Mart of links to our shops plus some special goon-only coupon codes. We then split the cost of a banner to promote said thread. Would people be interested in doing that this year too?

I'll post this in the etsy team too.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

Wandering Knitter posted:

Last year us craft goons created a mega-thread in SA-Mart of links to our shops plus some special goon-only coupon codes. We then split the cost of a banner to promote said thread. Would people be interested in doing that this year too?

I'm in. Let me know if you need any help.

It would be good to organise this soon.. The deadlines for shipping international for Christmas delivery is December 1st in some cases.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Did the ad link directly to your shop or an SA-Mart thread? I find that creating a thread for your shop and linking to that gets a good amount of customers.

Also this note is the perfect segue into asking about the Goon Christmas Banner! Since I'm in charge of the etsy team I figure I'd be the first to bring this up.

I'm tentatively interested but will have to see what is up when things get more specific

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

I would go in on this. Let me know what I need to do.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

It wasn't a banner ad here. It was the new Search Ads Option at Etsy.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Kruxy posted:

Well there's your problem! :v: I have bought ads on nearly every site I can afford and the ONLY one that's paid off is Something Awful.

I could start a separate thread for the Goon Christmas Planning if that would be easier for everyone.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Kruxy posted:

I didn't save the link but somewhere on the Etsy forums there was a link or a discussion about why the Search Ads were flawed, and probably not worth your time. It basically had to do with how Etsy sells per impression where as all of the other successful ad sites do either Cost per Click, or something else that might have been based on actual sales rather than clicks or the number of times the ad displays.

I imagine the Etsy forum thread has been closed and or archived or deleted. It seems like the kind of dissent and negative opinions that don't sit well over there.

Sonata
Jan 29, 2004

It worked great for me last year, I'm totally in.

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

Roughly how much are we talking for the banner ad?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Lealoo posted:

Roughly how much are we talking for the banner ad?

It will depend on the number of people interested and the number of times it gets inserted into the ad rotation. It might help if people can give a rough idea on how much they'd like to spend.

I don't know how much of my poo poo I'll get together so I don't know if I'll have enough product to make it worth it.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Comrade Quack posted:

It will depend on the number of people interested and the number of times it gets inserted into the ad rotation. It might help if people can give a rough idea on how much they'd like to spend.

I don't know how much of my poo poo I'll get together so I don't know if I'll have enough product to make it worth it.

Unless I'm wrong & it's changed, SA charges $30 for 30 days. So if we ran it for 2 months it'd be $60/by how many people participate.

I'd be up for that, I was planning to buy my own anyway.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
That's right. So the more people we can get to join in the better. Right now a single banner for two months will probably be our best option.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

That's right. So the more people we can get to join in the better. Right now a single banner for two months will probably be our best option.

Last year a few of us (you included?) ran a banner for the Etsy Goon Squad..

We only had it in rotation once and it barely ever came up. If you click on the 'browse all ads', you'll see that some banners are in rotation many, many times. Coupled that with being at the bottom of the screen, I don't think it got clicked a lot.

Actually, we hosted the Goon Squad index page and we know it didn't get clicked a lot.

If we could afford to do more than one rotation, that would be good. I'm happy to put in $20-30.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

I'm down! (for any number of banners/months, really)

If you need any help organizing or with any goonsquad stuff, just let me know!

Also, I recently started weaving and I've been making woven pouches for my store. I'm pretty pleased with them, especially since I recently sold a dozen to a local knitting group for their weekend retreat goodie bags.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'd be down with pitching in for the banner, but I have less than a buck in my Paypal account right now. I'm running into that classic "need money to make money" scenario here. :( If I can find the right cable for my tablet, I'd be willing to do some quick graphics for it, though. I did the derpy Etsy Goon Squad bee for the team logo, and I can do something similar for the banner if everyone likes it.

I'm also jumping on the "search ads suck" bandwagon. I ran a small campaign, against my better judgement, and got 4 clicks out of about 1000 impressions. Renewing is still a much better way to get views, especially if you stagger your listings a bit, and pay attention to your Google Analytics. I tend to get the most views on weekdays between about 1pm and 9pm, so that's when I'm most active on the site.

I've also had 130+ hits for the tag CF4L this week, since I tagged one of my Regretsy-inspired items with it. Kinda cool since I got three times as many views as usual one day, but still no sales. :sigh:

Right now I'm thinking of adding knitted Christmas ornaments to my shop, after seeing a pattern in a knitting magazine. They're cute little six-pointed stars, and look like a good way to use up my sock yarn scraps. The magazine also had a pattern for a cute but totally impractical chain-link scarf (like the paper chains kids sometimes make during the holidays) that I might try. There's a similar crochet pattern on the Michaels site here. Another site I saw earlier in the week had a pattern for knit leaf ornaments, made with fluffy yarn and thin wire, but it specifically said not to use their pattern for anything other than personal use, so I'm going to make my own, dammit.

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

ok, I'm in.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

I figured I'd give the etsy search ads a test run and they started running yesterday. So far I've spent $.78 and had 5 clicks and gotten 1 favorite, so that's not too bad. I plan on giving it a full week to get a better idea though.

MallcoreMotion posted:

Also, I've been putting off opening a store for like a month because I'm worried about some of my materials. I'm not 100% confident about how to list earrings because I'm worried that I'm going to get that one person who buys a pair and breaks out from them. Most of my hooks are stainless steel, but the rest are copper and brass "look," however, they don't state whether or not they contain nickel. Is that something I should include in the descriptions? Like, "may or may not contain nickel?"

I meant to respond to this earlier...general rule of thumb, if they don't specifically say that they don't contain nickel, they probably do. I'm allergic to nickel, so I've kind of tested it on myself and had the same problem with the copper and brass earrings. What I've started doing is just coating all of them with Jewelry Shield. Again, tested it on myself and it work great. Totally stops my ears from itching when I wear them.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Yeah, go ahead and count me in too for a banner. I don't think I'll have anything new yet, but I have a lot of aging stock of wallets that I'd like to clear out.

Mizufusion posted:

I've also had 130+ hits for the tag CF4L this week, since I tagged one of my Regretsy-inspired items with it. Kinda cool since I got three times as many views as usual one day, but still no sales. :sigh:

I wonder if it would backfire if you "abused" that tag and put it on a lot of stuff. Not just Regretsy-inspired items, but items you just wanted gone. Hmmm...

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Mizufusion posted:

I guess I'm confused as to the "proper" usage of the CF4L tag. I was under the impression that "CF4L" was for the type of Useless poo poo that finds its way to the front page because the photograph of it looks pretty. (And perhaps listed just for that reason) I think the CF4L tag might be a little more popular than normal right now just in terms of treasury bait.

I've been using "Regretsy" for items that are regretsy inspired, like the Goatse katamari. I've been using "teamapril" for general stuff that you wouldn't have to be a Regretsy fan to appreciate, but you want Regretsy fans that support other fans to find.

The goatse katamari is tagged with both regretsy and teamapril and it is consistently my most viewed item over a long term.

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 20, 2011

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Ah, good call on that. I'll try out a teamapril tag on some of these.

None of my stuff is a beautifully photographed piece of useless poo poo deserving of CF4L. Mainly because I don't photograph things beautifully.

Edit: OK, let's see what that does to my page views.

Kruxy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 20, 2011

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I'm in on the banner ad, too.

I've been thinking about posting a thread in SA Mart to make my custom Kindle covers (and other devices) but I'm involuntarily off of crochet right now because I sprained by wrist. This sucks!! It's been two days and I already REALLY miss it!

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
I'm in on the banner ad! Someone will just have to tell me who/how to pay.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Comrade Quack posted:

I guess I'm confused as to the "proper" usage of the CF4L tag. I was under the impression that "CF4L" was for the type of Useless poo poo that finds its way to the front page because the photograph of it looks pretty. (And perhaps listed just for that reason) I think the CF4L tag might be a little more popular than normal right now just in terms of treasury bait.
I used it on some pretty drat useless poo poo. It was originally an April Fool's listing, but it's so awesome I didn't want to take it down. It's also tagged "fresh fine fuckery" because I really like that phrase.

Comrade Quack posted:

I've been using "Regretsy" for items that are regretsy inspired, like the Goatse katamari. I've been using "teamapril" for general stuff that you wouldn't have to be a Regretsy fan to appreciate, but you want Regretsy fans that support other fans to find.

The goatse katamari is tagged with both regretsy and teamapril and it is consistently my most viewed item over a long term.
I don't use the tag Regretsy much, but I tag pretty much everything with teamapril. Most of my sales have been from members of that team, and most of my impulse buys are from April's Army members.

I love your katamari and kind of want to hang one from the ceiling..

Elocin
Jun 27, 2007
I have a shop! I just opened it for real yesterday. I had to wait for NY for mail me my fancy certificate of authority to collect sales tax. (btw, Does anyone else here live in NY and do sales tax? Etsy does a crummy job with it for NY because we collect different sales taxes depending on county and that does not necessarily correspond with zip codes :-/)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AniaJane

I do hand embroidery and sew it into bracelets and (hopefully soon- gotta work on the sewing mechanics) headbands. I have now favorited Threadstory because those bags are so flipping cute!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Mizufusion posted:

I love your katamari and kind of want to hang one from the ceiling..

That's swell to hear; I think the owner of that Katamari keeps it in the "modesty bag" in the closet. Can't say I really blame him.

Here's the Etsy forum thread I saw on the search ads: http://www.etsy.com/teams/7714/ideas/discuss/9016264/

I haven't read the whole thread, but the first post seems to make sense.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Hurrah! I just made my first sale!

Who doesn't love Elton John? Definitely not this guy.

Thanks for the link Comrade Quack. Very interesting read so far.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

Comrade Quack posted:

I feel a bit lame here.. What does CF4L stand for?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I'm going to be gone all weekend but when I return I can get the Goon Christmas topic started.

Or someone else can get it started. Whatever floats your boat. :v:

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

zoecore posted:

Don't feel bad. I have no clue either.

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

zoecore posted:

I believe it's club fuckery 4 life. A regretsy thing.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
I'm down to pitch in for the xmas banner again. I think it did well last time. If we get enough money/people maybe we can run multiples at once -- a lot of the vendors are so if we run just one ad at once we may get a bit lost.

I just bought an SA ad and increased my standard goon discount to 20% (GOONS20). I finally got my own site working as well http://savorsoap.com/shopsavor/ in addition to Etsy. Aside from it being a buttload of work (nice to dust off the rusty tech side of my brain) it's great to have some customization and gift certificate options we don't have on Etsy.

I haven't run any search ads on Etsy but I am tempted to. It has been quite slow on Etsy direct which is concerning at this time of year. Have the feeling my money is better spent advertising elsewhere though.

Schoenoplectus
Mar 30, 2010
I recently started an etsy shop a few weeks ago, but so far no sales. :(

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MerebethsCloset

I reconstruct clothes from used T shirts. Right now most of my items will fit a woman's small-medium because I'm the only model I have to work with. But I can easily do custom work in almost any size (but I think really huge might be too difficult). I am also thinking of branching out into plushies made from T shirts. So far, I've made my girlfriend a ninja.

Maybe people are just not that into reconstructed clothing? I'd just like to sell enough to make back the cost of my serger.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

Quick super sale... It's xdrquinnx's (the other half of Weaselfactory) 35th birthday tomorrow, so I'm going to run a coupon just for tomorrow for 35% off. It will go live when I get around to it tomorrow morning - maybe 9 or 10am UK time and will run for 24 hours. The coupon code will be DannyIsOld. I'll announce when it is live on our Facebook and Twitter account, which is listed in our shop's profile.

Remember to tell me you're a goon when buying, and I'll throw in something for free.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Schoenoplectus posted:

I recently started an etsy shop a few weeks ago, but so far no sales. :(

I think if you're going to sell reconstructed "upcycled" anything, Etsy is the place to do it. Sales can be pretty slow starting out, though. Joining a couple teams and participating can help put your name out there, as well as using Twitter and Facebook. There are tons of teams that are willing to help out new sellers, and can explain things way better than I can. :)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

altazakin posted:

I'm down to pitch in for the xmas banner again. I think it did well last time. If we get enough money/people maybe we can run multiples at once -- a lot of the vendors are so if we run just one ad at once we may get a bit lost.

I just bought an SA ad and increased my standard goon discount to 20% (GOONS20). I finally got my own site working as well http://savorsoap.com/shopsavor/ in addition to Etsy. Aside from it being a buttload of work (nice to dust off the rusty tech side of my brain) it's great to have some customization and gift certificate options we don't have on Etsy.

I haven't run any search ads on Etsy but I am tempted to. It has been quite slow on Etsy direct which is concerning at this time of year. Have the feeling my money is better spent advertising elsewhere though.

I have been meaning to get more of your awesome soap but I have been mega broke. I promise I will soon though! :ohdear:

I'll be in for the banner provided we get enough people to have it not cost me more than $10 because like I said above, mega broke. :smith:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
I'd be happy to pitch in with the banner this year, too. I was actually kinda pissed I've missed out the past couple years, especially since I lack the time/skill/software to make my own banners. Seems like it would probably be a better investment than the stupid Search Ads were. Or maybe I'm just having the worst year ever... :doh:

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
No problem, 13Pandora13 -- I'll have the goon discount up for a while!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

zoecore posted:

Quick super sale... It's xdrquinnx's (the other half of Weaselfactory) 35th birthday tomorrow, so I'm going to run a coupon just for tomorrow for 35% off. It will go live when I get around to it tomorrow morning - maybe 9 or 10am UK time and will run for 24 hours. The coupon code will be DannyIsOld. I'll announce when it is live on our Facebook and Twitter account, which is listed in our shop's profile.

Remember to tell me you're a goon when buying, and I'll throw in something for free.

I am so so tempted to get one of the place name necklaces with "Slough" on it, just because my town is so lovely.

I know by the end of the day I will have bought something from you... but what?

edit: ah poo poo, I missed the coupon thing. Bollocks.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata
Jan 29, 2004

I'm having a last-minute "why isn't anyone buying my pumpkins" panic sale before Halloween because no one is buying my pumpkins. :C

Here's a 30% off coupon for you goons (and whoever follows me on Twitter): HTIAH

Punkens:

Also, chiming in to agree about the Search Ads thing being a waste of time and money. I did get more views, but... no sales, no favorites, nothin'.