Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Buy a nice SV650 and I'll trade tanks with you. Mine still looks nice but it's dented enough that you won't cry if you put another dent in it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Coredump posted:

GS500 was my first bike, SV650 is my second. The GS500 is pretty good bit lower and lighter compared to the SV. BUT, the GS500 put out only around 37 or so horsepower. It felt quick enough for me, but then again I consider the SV a rocket ship. The other thing to keep in mind is the gs500 did feel quick and I weigh like 300lbs. So it should be able to handle two up no problem.

The GS500 is a decent little bike, and they seem to last forever. You see a ton of them all over San Francisco. My main bike for years and years was a Honda CB-1, which is similar (400cc streetfighter from 1990) and it was super fun. Even when I later had a supersport 600 (first a YZF600R and later briefly a 600cc Ninja), a lot of the time I'd preferentially ride the CB-1 because it was just more fun.

*However* if you're interested in having a ton of parts and after-market doodads, the SV is probably just about the best choice. Unless you would like to spend a lot of money on your doodads, then I'd probably look at the BMW F800R.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
While gearing up yesterday after class, I tried to start my sv to let her warm up a bit. The bike was in neutral, clutch was in, fuel pumped kicked on, and when I hit the starter, no noise. I made sure the killswitch wasn't on, and squeezed the clutch even harder and finally after a few tries engaging and disengaging the clutch it cranked right over.

Today I adjusted the clutch, it was overdue, and thought it might be part of the issue. The problem still persists, maybe less frequently, because I got it to start successfully five times in a row. What could this be? Maybe the starter? Or the clutch safety switch? I dont want to wait till this leaves me stranded, any advice would be much appreciated.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Clutch safety switch. If it doesn't start with the kickstand down, you can get on it and kick the kickstand up and with it in neutral it should start.

Check that the connector hasn't knocked itself off or loose though, that's the most likely explanation. The screws that attach the switch to the bottom of the clutch assembly could have gone missing too, causing it to connect with the part of the lever that lets it out intermittently.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
As suspected, thanks Z3n nice to hear that its a simple answer.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The GS500 is a decent little bike, and they seem to last forever. You see a ton of them all over San Francisco. My main bike for years and years was a Honda CB-1, which is similar (400cc streetfighter from 1990) and it was super fun. Even when I later had a supersport 600 (first a YZF600R and later briefly a 600cc Ninja), a lot of the time I'd preferentially ride the CB-1 because it was just more fun.

*However* if you're interested in having a ton of parts and after-market doodads, the SV is probably just about the best choice. Unless you would like to spend a lot of money on your doodads, then I'd probably look at the BMW F800R.

Dammit, I was feeling pretty strong on the SV650, but between the above comments (and glancing at some other forums), despite their stats looking very similar the GS500E supposedly feels a lot smaller and lower. It's 50hp vice the SV's 75-80, but as mentioned I have no interest in racing, going any faster than needed to pass on the highway, etc. I just want a bike that's great for mucking around the city, and occasionally rolling a couple hours up back highways to nearby cities, wandering the country backroads for an afternoon, etc.

Given my experience on a CB250 and a Bonneville, is the SV maybe more power than I need, and the GS might suit better? As a pretty sedate driver, I'm also wary of a bike that I might suddenly wheelie on or something dumb for lack of being familiar with a decently powerful bike. I do also like that the GS has a more bench-like seat that looks better for 2-up. Also looks like the GS can be made a bit more brutal-looking as a street/rat bike vice the swoopier SV. My understanding is that, mechanically, the GS is cheaper/cruder, but a workhorse. Other than the valve issue (which I don't totally grasp) is it easier to maintain than the SV?

I don't need huge amounts of aftermarket, just some variety of bars mostly, and maybe do a bit of chop with the seat to minimise that sharp-tail look I don't care for. That aside, just the same plan to sell off any clean parts for cosmetically-rough parts so I can paint it up ratty.

Here's a GS500 streetfighter; I could see do something like this but Desert Tan, bar-ends, and a slightly longer seat to still do 2-up:

I know the SV thread is going to push the SV, but proceeding with the facts that I'm short, minimally mechanical, and have no familiarity with fast bikes and am not a fast rider, might the GS be a better match?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 19, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The SV650 has 68 or 72 horsepower, depending on the year. You can find a SV for just as cheap as the GS500. They have FI, which is a huge boon. And they're easy as poo poo to maintain. And you can haul people around better than you can with a GS500. The 1st generation SV is more comfy than the 2nd gen, and you can easily find replacement seats to satisfy better for both generations. It's easy to be sedate with the SV650 too. The torque is nice enough that you can just blip around town using 3,000 to 5,000 RPM - that's it. You gotta spin the engine up more with the GS500. Lastly, the frame just looks better, and you can put on sliders to protect your bike... I don't see any mount points for sliders on the GS500 :)

you know you want the SV650.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 19, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
TapTheForwardAssist, for what it's worth, my first bike was (and still is) an SV. I've had no problems with it at all, and if you've already been riding around on smaller bikes, you shouldn't have any worries. Wheelies don't happen easily with an SV (although they can definitely happen if you try with all the torque). It's a great bike, and I wouldn't worry about it being too much bike at all. If a complete noob like me can learn on it, you definitely can handle it.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Joined the SV army tonight :hfive:

Not sure if it's going to be a "distance" streetibke to complement my 690 or be turned into a track whore... either way, pleased as punch. The short test ride I did on this impressed me.

brakes were completely horribly terrible bad though holy poo poo. maybe I'm spoiled at this point but :gonk: :ohdear:

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I got a '99 sv650 at the start of the summer and I love it but I have a few new rider questions that hopefully aren't too obvious.

I ordered some bar end sliders a while ago to replace the ones that the P/O had. The old ones had pretty long bolts, the new ones (vortex I think) came with smaller bolts. Neither of them caught any thread in the handle bars. Is that normal that they are just kind of held in there with out threads or do I have some frankenstein set up?

How dangerous is it to run the bike past the red-line? I was passing a car today and was more focused on the road then my tach when I hit the red-line briefly. The bike rattled a bit and I immediately rolled off the throttle, pulled in the clutch and up-shifted. Everything seemed to be running fine for the rest of my ride but I'm not sure if I could have caused any damage or if I handled that situation correctly.

There is also a little dial on my brake lever that I'm not 100% sure what it does. I assume it adjusts how hard it is pull the brake in all the way but the dial doesn't turn easily so I decided not to mess with it. Is there some trick to adjusting it?

The last question I'm not sure belongs here but can anybody suggest good mechanics around the Worcester MA area? I'd really like to get to a point where I'm able to wrench on the bike my self but there are things I don't have to tools or mechanical confidence for to tackle yet.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Dammit, I was feeling pretty strong on the SV650, but between the above comments (and glancing at some other forums), despite their stats looking very similar the GS500E supposedly feels a lot smaller and lower. It's 50hp vice the SV's 75-80, but as mentioned I have no interest in racing, going any faster than needed to pass on the highway, etc. I just want a bike that's great for mucking around the city, and occasionally rolling a couple hours up back highways to nearby cities, wandering the country backroads for an afternoon, etc.

Given my experience on a CB250 and a Bonneville, is the SV maybe more power than I need, and the GS might suit better? As a pretty sedate driver, I'm also wary of a bike that I might suddenly wheelie on or something dumb for lack of being familiar with a decently powerful bike.

I think the Sv is a great all around bike and is definitely worth leaving on the list. It's the first bike I've owned and the 2nd bike I've ever been on. The jump in power isn't too startling and didn't take very long to get used to. I've never lifted the front wheel on accident,or ever actually and the only trouble I've gotten into was because of my inexperience as a rider. I did seriously consider the GS500 before I decided on the Sv though. It seemed like I would be a bit cramped on the GS and the prices were comparable on Craigslist.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Anarchist posted:

How dangerous is it to run the bike past the red-line? I was passing a car today and was more focused on the road then my tach when I hit the red-line briefly. The bike rattled a bit and I immediately rolled off the throttle, pulled in the clutch and up-shifted. Everything seemed to be running fine for the rest of my ride but I'm not sure if I could have caused any damage or if I handled that situation correctly.

There is also a little dial on my brake lever that I'm not 100% sure what it does. I assume it adjusts how hard it is pull the brake in all the way but the dial doesn't turn easily so I decided not to mess with it. Is there some trick to adjusting it?

The last question I'm not sure belongs here but can anybody suggest good mechanics around the Worcester MA area? I'd really like to get to a point where I'm able to wrench on the bike my self but there are things I don't have to tools or mechanical confidence for to tackle yet.

I think the Sv is a great all around bike and is definitely worth leaving on the list. It's the first bike I've owned and the 2nd bike I've ever been on. The jump in power isn't too startling and didn't take very long to get used to. I've never lifted the front wheel on accident,or ever actually and the only trouble I've gotten into was because of my inexperience as a rider. I did seriously consider the GS500 before I decided on the Sv though. It seemed like I would be a bit cramped on the GS and the prices were comparable on Craigslist.

Bikes can take a whole shitload of hitting the rev limiter before anything begins to happen. I mean, don't do it just for fun, but if it happens, it happens.

The dial changes how far away the lever is from the bar. You have to push the lever away from you, then turn it. Go sit on your bike, stare at the brake lever, then turn the dial around and look at it.

And finally, if the SV isn't your only vehicle, there's no reason not to just tear into poo poo and go hog wild. Worst case scenario, you load it on a trailer and take it to a mechanic. Normal scenario, you get frustrated, wind up adding some tools to your collection, and hey you fixed something. There is quiet literally no reason not to do your own routine maintenance, excluding maybe tires.

e:And I've seen some people talk about wheelies on this page. To be completely honest with you, I havnt been able to power wheelie the sv (well okay maybe a tiny bit, but that doesn't really count.) so I very seriously doubt that you're ever going to run into a situation on an sv650 where you're riding along and then OH poo poo MAD WHEELIE BRO

invision fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 19, 2011

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

invision posted:

so I very seriously doubt that you're ever going to run into a situation on an sv650 where you're riding along and then OH poo poo MAD WHEELIE BRO

This has been my experience too on an SV650S. I've cranked the throttle more than once so far and while yes, I did shoot forward, it was never accompanied by a wheelie.

Fake edit: And you know the S model is far more wheelie prone! Because that's what the S means. Wheelies

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Given my experience on a CB250 and a Bonneville, is the SV maybe more power than I need, and the GS might suit better? As a pretty sedate driver, I'm also wary of a bike that I might suddenly wheelie on or something dumb for lack of being familiar with a decently powerful bike. I do also like that the GS has a more bench-like seat that looks better for 2-up. Also looks like the GS can be made a bit more brutal-looking as a street/rat bike vice the swoopier SV. My understanding is that, mechanically, the GS is cheaper/cruder, but a workhorse. Other than the valve issue (which I don't totally grasp) is it easier to maintain than the SV?

(...)

I know the SV thread is going to push the SV, but proceeding with the facts that I'm short, minimally mechanical, and have no familiarity with fast bikes and am not a fast rider, might the GS be a better match?

I bet a late model SV with the more angular frame could look pretty brutal if that's what you want.

As a very short person myself and someone who is coming back to riding after a couple of years off, the only thing that makes me nervous about the SV is stopping, since I can only put down one foot. I don't really have a lot of margin for error with uneven ground surfaces, any situation where I might need to back up, etc. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable over time (or get the bike lowered); I don't think my YZF was any lower way back when.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I bet a late model SV with the more angular frame could look pretty brutal if that's what you want.

As a very short person myself and someone who is coming back to riding after a couple of years off, the only thing that makes me nervous about the SV is stopping, since I can only put down one foot. I don't really have a lot of margin for error with uneven ground surfaces, any situation where I might need to back up, etc. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable over time (or get the bike lowered); I don't think my YZF was any lower way back when.

You can get the Corbin seat that lowers the position an inch or two. I'm 5'6" and I can get both heels down now and backing up can be done MUCH more confidently than with the stock seat. The seat is a lot firmer (much more firm than the stock seat) than I expected, but the shape of the seat is more comfortable, although it seems designed for bigger butts than mine.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

lowcrabdiet posted:

You can get the Corbin seat that lowers the position an inch or two. I'm 5'6" and I can get both heels down now and backing up can be done MUCH more confidently than with the stock seat. The seat is a lot firmer (much more firm than the stock seat) than I expected, but the shape of the seat is more comfortable, although it seems designed for bigger butts than mine.

I'm 5'1".

Mine had a Corbin on it when I bought it, and I haven't tried the stock seat at all yet. I'm not a big fan of the Corbin so far, I feel like the "butt cup" in the shape is farther back than I'm comfortable sitting for most riding. Maybe if I was settling in for a longer freeway commute (like the previous owner) I'd appreciate that, though.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
:siren: This might be the one :siren:

quote:

2005 SV 650 with less than 3,000 miles on it.
Upgraded front end from a 750.
Very good condition, ALWAYS garage Kept.
One MINOR ding and a few scratches on the rear "grab bar"
Very quick/ responsive, and stops on the dime. Engine is 100% fine as is everything else.
Price is set, not a cent below $2500.

Bike is set up as a track bike, however, if you purchase some handlebar mirrors or simply get some mirror extensions you'll be good to go, this was my commuter bike...

Good: Recent model, the black frame I like, very low mileage, 750 front end, ad has been up for 6 weeks and it's still available, allegedly in great shape, price seems pretty reasonable.

Bad: Where is the ding? Price seems almost too good to sit so long... "Track bike"? He claims commuter, but what risk the dude's been flogging it to death on the track for all 3k miles?

Lastly, I have no car or bike, and he's 20mi north of Philly and I'm in DC. I either need to bus or train up to Philly buttcrack early Saturday morning and do a deal with him at a DMV in downtown Philly, or I need to find a driver (I think I can get an under-the-table one I know for $75ish) to take me up to his small town north of Philly, and if I somehow don't buy it I'll have to do a big hassle getting back home from Bumfuck. In either case it's going to be a little hard to bargain him down if he drives 20mi to meet me and has to have his girlfriend come pick him up to take him home, or if I come to meet him and he knows I'm stuck in the boonies without the bike.

I texted him, bike is available. There's zero way I can go up and check it out during the week (can't possibly get a day off this week or next) so Saturday morning before the DMV closes at noon is the only time pretty much all this month for me.

It looks to be about exactly what I want (though if the dent is in the tank that kind of sucks since I can't easily sell that tank for profit and buy a cheap dented tank), price is decent, but I'm going to have to take most of a day to get up there and bring it back, and I have the few tiny concerns as noted as to whether this is actually a good deal or no.

What say you, CA? Should I just email him tonight to set up for Saturday morning, plan the 3-4hr trip up to Philly and beyond, and just be willing to walk away with the trip wasted if the milk is sour?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

:words:

Did you ask him if it has a clean title?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Probably a salvage title, which is why its so cheap. I bet the ding is on the frame. But with that said, its still a good deal...for what you want to use it for, I say go for it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's here!

The exhaust sounds like the devil himself is clearing his throat. I can't even describe it. The videos on youtube don't sound anything like it and the next best bike I've heard is my friend's RC51 with JMicrons and no baffles.

Registered tomorrow and from there I'm never using my car again. Ever. There's no reason.

Included: Wheel stand, two extra helmets (one fits me perfectly, but my dad wants me to get a brand new one so I am going to abide), a mesh jacket, a textile jacket (both fit perfectly), a pair of pretty good gloves that fit decently well, extra headlight assembly, two sets of brake pads, a tool kit for every bolt on the bike, the original rear suspension setup, a brush, and chain lube. The tires have 90% tread left. He also gave me some printed instructions on every bit of maintenance the bike will need to keep it running strong (lubing instructions, valve adjustment intervals, stuff like that).

Not bad for $3100 delivered to my door.

Oh yeah, and the guy hugged it after I bought it because he's gonna miss it. Turns out he's moving back in with his mom and she hates bikes so he had to sell. What a bummer. :( It was legitimately his daily rider until he sold it. He's also super cool so I added him and his friend both on Facebook and hopefully we're gonna ride in the future when he gets another bike. :)

This is gonna be a fun college year.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 20, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

Probably a salvage title, which is why its so cheap. I bet the ding is on the frame. But with that said, its still a good deal...for what you want to use it for, I say go for it.

Shot him those questions:

quote:

1) Does it have a clean title in your name, no problems doing a title transfer at the DMV if I buy it?
2) You mention a "minor ding"; what part of the bike is the ding on? Any significant crashes? Cause of the ding and scratches to bar?
3) Is the bike currently in a street-legal configuration and ready to ride around? Is it currently registered and plated?
4) I live in DC, and if everything checks out would be interested in coming up to see it, cash in hand, on this Saturday morning. Can you meet then? I'd be taking the train up to Philly's 30th St station. Can you meet me there and if we seal the deal we can go to a downtown DMV before they close at noon? Or are you much further out of Philly up into the county?

I thought the general CA stance was to avoid salvage titles unless you're an experienced mechanic? Also I was under the impression that salvage bikes should be _way_ cheaper than non-salvage. He does show the entire VIN of the bike in the ad, so should I just go and CarFax Cyclechex the VIN to see if it's been crashed, rather than ask him directly? If it isn't a salvage and I ask if it is, that would imply I think it's too low, and kill any bargaining power, or leverage to get him to ride it down to Philly so I don't need to come up to his house in the boonies.

EDIT2: Dang, here's the CycleChex summarised:

quote:

VIN Specification
Model Year 2005
Make Suzuki
Model SV650S

NO REPORTS FOUND BY CYCLECHEX FOR: Total Loss, Salvage, Disclosed Damage, Bond, Flood, Cars/Cash for Clunkers, Gray Market Junk, Manufacturer Brand, New/Re-Issued VIN, Odometer, Rebuilt/Repaired/Reconstructed, Dismantled, Rental/Taxi/Police, Agricultural/Logging Vehicle, Title Copy, Antique/Classic, Undisclosed Lien

Historical Title Information
NJ JS1V*********** - 20100828 - 000002160 Miles
PA JS1V*********** - 20050519 - 000000007 Miles

No Junk/Salvage Reportings Found
No Total Loss Reportings Found

Okay, so either it has something hideous but unreported which has been clear enough to other buyers that they've turned it down, it's some "well, I don't exactly have a title for it" case... or it's just a pretty good deal that nobody's jumped on. Any other possible suspicions I should be having? Does this sound unduly low, or just priced to move?

EDIT: How much does that 750 front (one of the single best improvements to a 650, right?) add to the value, both for bargaining and insurance purposes?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 20, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan, nice bike...congrats.

Shot him those questions:

I thought the general CA stance was to avoid salvage titles unless you're an experienced mechanic? Also I was under the impression that salvage bikes should be _way_ cheaper than non-salvage. He does show the entire VIN of the bike in the ad, so should I just go and CarFax Cyclechex the VIN to see if it's been crashed, rather than ask him directly? If it isn't a salvage and I ask if it is, that would imply I think it's too low, and kill any bargaining power, or leverage to get him to ride it down to Philly so I don't need to come up to his house in the boonies.

EDIT2: Dang, here's the CycleChex summarised:

Okay, so either it has something hideous but unreported which has been clear enough to other buyers that they've turned it down, it's some "well, I don't exactly have a title for it" case... or it's just a pretty good deal that nobody's jumped on. Any other possible suspicions I should be having? Does this sound unduly low, or just priced to move?

EDIT: How much does that 750 front (one of the single best improvements to a 650, right?) add to the value, both for bargaining and insurance purposes?

At that price, I don't think you have any bargaining power. My suspicion is that he just wants to be rid of the bike, so he's priced it at exactly what he wants out of it and will take no less. Sometimes good deals float around for a bit, it's just how it goes.

If he wants to sell the bike, he'll know that you traveling distance means that he has an almost guaranteed buyer, he should work with you on that alone. See if you can get his number and feel things out, ask for the story on the bike, etc. If there's something when you talk to him that makes you feel weird, walk, otherwise, go for it.

Salvage titles can be ok as long as you know why it was salvaged. Paperwork on the salvage is helpful, and value should be adjusted accordingly.

The GSXR front end doesn't really add much value overall, it just depends on the buyer if it's worth anything.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Xovaan posted:

It's here!
This is gonna be a fun college year.

Congrats!! Now enjoy the piece of marvelous machinery.

I am very sure that my good friend, when he gets my modded 2005 SV650, will have a similar response when he gets the bike next month. :)

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

A lot of people just won't buy track bikes, even if they look clean. It's just one more source of risk that the bike might have undisclosed issues from wrecks or modifications gone bad. The front-end modification is also not a selling point for most buyers, since you have to take the seller's word that it was done for more track-ready suspension, clip-ons, etc. (as is likely), and not as a rebuild after a wreck that may also have warped the frame. I'm sure the seller is aware of all this and has priced accordingly.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Texted with the SV650 owner outside of Philly. He said he's pretty packed this weekend, and can't skip out work to meet during the workweek. He did say he can pick me up in Philly and take me up to see the bike.

Says it's running great, and he's going to send full pics of the condition all over. He says only caveats not mentioned in the ad is that the toe peg of the clutch is broken and fixed with duct tape, and the speedometer has been "glitchy". He expanded on the ad: it does have mirrors, but since it was set up as a track bike and he just had the mirrors for commuting this summer they're not very great mirrors and I'll probably want to replace them. Is his point that he had easily removable cheap mirrors so he could take them off for track, and put them on for commuting to work?

At this point we just need to find a time we can actually meet, ideally when the DMV is still open, which pretty much narrows it down to Saturday. Is there not any way it'd be advisable to buy a bike in PA and bring it back to DC without going to a DMV in the middle of the transaction? Not really legal to ride the bike back to DC with his valid plates, or is it technically okay until the title transfer is legally filed?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Varies from state to state. CA recommends you go in within 10 days (technically up to 30 days to do the transfer, penalty free) but plates also go with the bikes here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is his point that he had easily removable cheap mirrors so he could take them off for track, and put them on for commuting to work?

Possibly, but more likely his point is that SV650 mirrors are terrible. If they do end up being cheapies, and you do buy it, I have a set of stock ones you can have for free.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Says it's running great, and he's going to send full pics of the condition all over. He says only caveats not mentioned in the ad is that the toe peg of the clutch is broken and fixed with duct tape, and the speedometer has been "glitchy".

This is because putting a GSXR front end on a SV650 means the old speedo won't work anymore, so you have to come up with a solution to replace it. There's lots of threads on the SV650 forums about potential ways to get a working speedo.

You can get some fairly nice mirrors off Ebay now that have turn signals built in, you might look into that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

First ride: success! Started out skimming "Proficient Motorcycling" on the Internet today then moved to a parking lot, learning the friction zone. Stalled a couple times on startup from not giving it enough gas, but soon after, I was engine breaking and upshifting and downshifting like a champ. Extremely reasonable bike for a beginner, even with the modded sprockets. Haven't really gotten on it but from what I've witnessed it's seriously perfect for a beginner (my experience before this is a bicycle and the motorcycle safety course with a Rebel 250).

Has a bit of a backfire with the exhaust so I might have to get it rejetted/tuned and some drifting/wobble at speeds above 30 miles per hour. I haven't checked tire pressure but I just bought a gauge and I'm hoping it's that and not something major. Other than that, the bike is fun as hell.

Planned service:

1. Install turn signals (front and back)
2. Redo all wiring with proper heat-shrunk splice and connectors
3. Figure out why throttle doesn't snap shut as fast as it should
4. Ride a fuckton!

This bike is basically a rat rod and the workmanship, while mechanically somewhat there, definitely shows. Still, as a first bike, I love it, and glad I went with something that's somewhat of a rideable fix-r-upper than a stock bike despite the headache it will cause. Masochism is the best 'chism, I guess!

Anybody have any idea why there would be swaying at speeds above 30? I've heard anything from tire pressure to the damper could be the culprit.

edit: in the meantime while I wait to fix issues, everything about the bike is justified by this sticker I just bought for $2

funny how these things work, isn't it?

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 21, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Low tire pressure, improperly balanced wheels, hosed wheelbearings, lovely chain, and probably more.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Xovaan posted:

Has a bit of a backfire with the exhaust so I might have to get it rejetted/tuned

Is it backfiring, or just popping when you shut the throttle? A bit of audible popping is normal when the bike is outfitted with an aftermarket exhaust. This is not to say that it doesn't happen with the stock exhaust, just that you can't hear it.

If it's excessive, you may indeed be running a bit lean.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Chain is nearly new and has been serviced pretty well. How would I check for hosed wheel bearings?

He said before he drove it up in his truck he went on a ride with it and didn't notice anything weird so I'm thinking it's just the tire pressure. I'll be checking later today.

AncientTV posted:

Is it backfiring, or just popping when you shut the throttle? A bit of audible popping is normal when the bike is outfitted with an aftermarket exhaust. This is not to say that it doesn't happen with the stock exhaust, just that you can't hear it.

If it's excessive, you may indeed be running a bit lean.

It pops when closing the throttle, but it does it more than I think would be normal for any bike. Should I just try for premium instead of regular when filling up and see if it fixes it?

Luckily I spent the last three years learning to work on cars. This thing is gonna be a cakewalk to work on.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Put a few miles on the beater SV the other day. Man this little thing is fun! Plenty of squirt and extremely comfortable compared to what I'm used to riding. The laundry list of poo poo to fix keeps growing though. So far I'll need to do the following:

Valve inspection / adjustment
Fork seals, emulators
Ubiquitous oil change
Chain, sprockets (520 conversion)
Tires (stuff on there is appropriate for commuting, but the rear is massively squared off and getting close to the end of its useful life)

If I end up keeping as a trackbike I'll definitely be replacing the rear shock with something more appropriate as well as throwing some rearsets on, frame sliders, and probably clipons.

I have to say though, I wish I would have started my 'cycling career' out with a bike like this instead of junky basketcase hondas. nice change a pace from the 690 and true sportbikes. This thing is just a hoot :)

needknees fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 21, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Xovaan posted:

It pops when closing the throttle, but it does it more than I think would be normal for any bike. Should I just try for premium instead of regular when filling up and see if it fixes it?

Premium fuel only ups the compression ratio the fuel can withstand before complete combustion, it won't do anything for your pops. It is a bit alarming at first, but you'd be surprised how much popping is still within tune. Try and reference it to videos online, and if that doesn't work out, see if you can record your bike doing it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
If its popping on decel and it bothers you you can remove the PAIR system. Makes your emissions worse though.

Mine did it quite a lot when I removed the baffle from stock exhaust, some of the louder pops in a carpark would trigger car alarm to give off warning beeps.

Edit - just saw youre on a gen 1 - no PAIR on those from memory, unless CA model?
You've also got that super short exhaust so yeah, popping on decel is going to be normal.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 21, 2011

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ah, thanks for removing a lot of concern, then! I'll end up recording the exhaust anyway because it sounds pretty good. I'm considering replacing it with my friend's exhaust system though because it would be a lot quieter, especially for campus.

Leaving behind an entire garage full of electrical and mechanical repair apparatuses hurts fixing stuff a ton. Gonna be a bit of a challenge. :smith:

edit: Bike had 20psi in each tire. What the gently caress! I think I just found the issue with the wobble. :psyduck: Thankfully I only did a 1/5th mile ride to test controls and didn't take it above 40. T-CLOC is important, folks!

double edit: back tire had 6psi. Oh my god. :gonk:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 22, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

My 07 makes a sound which I can only assume / hope is an out-of-tension cam chain tensioner. It kind of sounds like some rocks are in the head when I rev it, but there's no loss of power or other weirdness. Runs like a top, just sounds like poo poo.

The bike has 13k on it. Should I replace the tensioners immediately - am I in danger of it blowing up something bigger? Or is this more of an adjustment thing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My 07 makes a sound which I can only assume / hope is an out-of-tension cam chain tensioner. It kind of sounds like some rocks are in the head when I rev it, but there's no loss of power or other weirdness. Runs like a top, just sounds like poo poo.

The bike has 13k on it. Should I replace the tensioners immediately - am I in danger of it blowing up something bigger? Or is this more of an adjustment thing?

Is the sound consistent or irregular?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'll get a recording of it with one of my decent microphones tomorrow, but it's mostly around 3-6k and pretty consistent.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Xovaan posted:

funny how these things work, isn't it?

Ooh, SV650 rat-fighter. That's my plan too; do you have any pics of bikes you're inspired by? Any particular plan how you're going to design yours?

I'm mainly planning to mess with the bars some to adjust seating position, swap out any clean parts for cosmetically-beat ones, paint the coloured bits Coyote Brown, and then stencil Arabic military-style script onto the tank.

Basically I want to get some of the M1030M1 aesthetics into the SV:

Combined with a little bit of this:

My seller up in Philly gave more details on the bike; as y'all note the spedo is glitchy because of the front-end swap, one of the magnets came loose, so that's throwing it off. Some minor cosmetic damage, needs better mirrors, and the toe peg (not the arm) of the foot shifter is held together by tape. He says he's in no huge hurry to sell and has been really busy with work, but we're looking for a time in the next couple weeks to meet on an evening. He seemed pretty straight up, and insistent that I see all the detailed pics before I decide. This is overall sounding like a pretty good price ($2500, he bought it for $2400) for about the exact variant I want and with low mileage. I think I'll just bring a new toe-peg and a set of bar-ends up with me when I go to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7MQkEPdNfU

Okay, here's some video of my SV running, and you can hear the sound I'm concerned about at around 1:18.

I'm doing a bunch of short little blips because it's most noticeable right off of idle.

• Locked thread