Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good 4-8 gb mp3 player? It's for my Dad, he uses iTunes to buy music (so something that would work with itunes for loading music would be great) but isn't really interested in a ipod nano because he prefers physical buttons.

That said, if anyone knows where I can get a new 5th gen iPod Nano (the kind with the clickwheel and tall screen) for cheap that would be great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Dacap posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good 4-8 gb mp3 player? It's for my Dad, he uses iTunes to buy music (so something that would work with itunes for loading music would be great) but isn't really interested in a ipod nano because he prefers physical buttons.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1318702819&sr=8-6

The Sansa Clip+ is hands-down the best mp3 player I've ever used. Tiny, great battery life, has a memory expansion slot, and is durable as all hell!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1318702819&sr=8-6

The Sansa Clip+ is hands-down the best mp3 player I've ever used. Tiny, great battery life, has a memory expansion slot, and is durable as all hell!

Seconding this. I've owned one for more than a year now, and it's great.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Centipeed posted:

Seconding this. I've owned one for more than a year now, and it's great.

How does it work for music management? My dad isn't extremely computer literate and he was using an ancient iPod mini with iTunes before and is still buying his music from iTunes so he'd like to keep it all in the same place where he already knows how to use it. I know most people agree that iTunes kinda sucks, but it works for him.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

marshmallard posted:

Anyone have recommendations for iPod speakers? I'd like them to sound good and look nice, but not cost more than £75.

No one has ANY recommendations for iPod speakers except one that looks like a pig?

Crikey, I thought it was quite an easy one!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Dacap posted:

How does it work for music management? My dad isn't extremely computer literate and he was using an ancient iPod mini with iTunes before and is still buying his music from iTunes so he'd like to keep it all in the same place where he already knows how to use it. I know most people agree that iTunes kinda sucks, but it works for him.

Let me put it this way. If he can use a flash drive, he can use a Sansa Clip+.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

marshmallard posted:

No one has ANY recommendations for iPod speakers except one that looks like a pig?

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-inMotion-USB-Charging-Portable/dp/B001IZYV2E/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

This is the one that I have. Really good sound quality for its money. Along with the iPod in interface, it has a built in FM radio, and auxillary expansion in case you have any non-iPod music players. Also, a well over thirty feet remote control is something worth considering. Finally, it has pretty good sound quality. Really good sound quality if you select ESS, but it lowers the already only OK battery life even lower. Favorite thing, however is the ruggedness (drop mine all the time, still works after about two years of abuse), its portableness, and the fact that the iPod charges when the dock's plugged in.

Unfortunately, it's on the high side, so if you're not willing to pay around 80 dollars for a dock, I'd look around at some more of the Altec Lansing products. They seem to make pretty good products, based on the reviews for other speakers

e, forgot to mention. After the two years, although it still works, you have to shim the iPod into place in order for it to connect and play anything. I think that it might be bad for the iPod plugged in, but others have this problem and it doesn't seem to have any affect on it.

e2, I mean that you have to find something that pushes the iPod forward. If it rests against the back for men, it just doesnt sense there is anything there and therefore doesnt play

Boneitis has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Oct 16, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Boneitis posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-inMotion-USB-Charging-Portable/dp/B001IZYV2E/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

This is the one that I have. Really good sound quality for its money. Along with the iPod in interface, it has a built in FM radio, and auxillary expansion in case you have any non-iPod music players. Also, a well over thirty feet remote control is something worth considering. Finally, it has pretty good sound quality. Really good sound quality if you select ESS, but it lowers the already only OK battery life even lower. Favorite thing, however is the ruggedness (drop mine all the time, still works after about two years of abuse), its portableness, and the fact that the iPod charges when the dock's plugged in.

Unfortunately, it's on the high side, so if you're not willing to pay around 80 dollars for a dock, I'd look around at some more of the Altec Lansing products. They seem to make pretty good products, based on the reviews for other speakers

e, forgot to mention. After the two years, although it still works, you have to shim the iPod into place in order for it to connect and play anything. I think that it might be bad for the iPod plugged in, but others have this problem and it doesn't seem to have any affect on it.

This is great, thank you. The price is within my budget and it looks pretty good - especially like that it has a remote control!

I'm not quite sure what your edit means though? What does 'shim into place' mean? And bad for the iPod in what way?

By the way, your username kicks rear end. My only regret is that I don't have... that username... CRACK.

Edit: Balls, the only one on Amazon UK is £300?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

MrGreenShirt posted:

It's not very water resistant, though, so watch out if that is important to you. The buttons on mine got screwed up after I ran in heavy rain. Luckily they got better after I later accidentally put it through the washing machine :).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Dacap posted:

It's perhaps less user-friendly in that sense, if he already uses iTunes.

All you do is drag and drop folders of MP3s to the player through Explorer, but I'm not sure if the way iTunes stores its music is compatible with that. Aren't iTunes MP3 files not organised by album?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

I have to agree with this. Mine still works after losing it in the snow in november and finding it when it thawed in april.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

n2o posted:

I have a somewhat specific request, maybe someone will be able to help me.

I need a multi-purpose backpack that I can use for school, rock climbing, and hiking. It needs to have a modular hydration pack that I can fill up and use when its convenient, or take it out and use the space for school books or assorted equipment.

I like this one, but it's hard to tell if it's big enough for a binder and 1-2 books from the picture: http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-034910-520-Raptor-10-Daypack/dp/B002N4W5EA/ref=pd_sbs_sg10

Although intended more for motorcyclists, Kriega gear would fit the bill. They make packs of varying sizes all with options for a hydration pack and the build quality & durability is truly unmatched.

http://www.kriega.us/products/

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

marshmallard posted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-D...=item4cf7eddb1d

I have the smaller/older version of this, they're great.

Less than half price 'cos it's 'refurbed' too, mine came as new.

Edit: I have this one in silver: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-S...=item3366a80425

Raikiri has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Oct 16, 2011

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-hank-black-waxy-pull-up-waxy-canvas

I was looking for a boot for my first winter in Nebraska (California native) that I can still wear in the office that will look classy. I found this but is there some end all be all good black boot I should be looking at?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Does anyone know of a good washer/dryer set that can fit through very small basement doorways? My friend just moved and he's got a 24" wide doorway, and taking the door/frame off doesn't make much of a difference. We've looked everywhere and all I could find was one of those tiny hook-up-to-your-faucet units, and apparently they don't have the right hookups for those down there(?)

I guess he needs a regular washer and a 240V dryer. I figured there would be a 120V outlet and at least a sink supply down there but no dice.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Maytag makes a compact washer that's apparently got regular supply hookups. At 23.75" wide though, it would just baaarely fit through that door. http://www.maytag.com/-%5BMAH2400AWW%5D-1100998/MAH2400AWW/

I used to have an "apartment-style" washer with the faucet hookup, but you could swap the hose manually for an optional Y-shaped hose to use a standard hookup instead. Pretty sure that one was also a Maytag, and you could order the hardware straight from the manufacturer. We just kludged it together out of spare plumbing parts though. Has your friend considered something like that?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That one might be a bit too pricey, I'll ask around work about converting the standard hookups to a single hose. I'd assume you could use a "Y" ball valve and just open the hot or cold source as needed. No idea about the dryer though.

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Does anyone know of a good washer/dryer set that can fit through very small basement doorways? My friend just moved and he's got a 24" wide doorway, and taking the door/frame off doesn't make much of a difference. We've looked everywhere and all I could find was one of those tiny hook-up-to-your-faucet units, and apparently they don't have the right hookups for those down there(?)

I guess he needs a regular washer and a 240V dryer. I figured there would be a 120V outlet and at least a sink supply down there but no dice.

I've owned two of these:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CJEBEPMCMAA

and they're AWESOME. I was living alone in both instances and this mini-dishwasher was absolutely perfect for me. I kept it on a rolling kitchen hutch; rolled it over to the sink during use and rolled it back to its spot when I was done.

Looking for recommendations for the following:
-Inexpensive (less than $50) women's leather gloves for the winter. Warmth/comfort supersedes cuteness.

-a US-to-UK power converter/adapter...the reason I'm asking for goon recommendations is because the last time I used the one I currently have, I managed to burn a chunk of my hair with my flatiron (due to it being only an adapter, not a converter). So I'd really like to avoid any undue hair-loss this time around.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I was recently given some Bose 161 speakers by some friends who ended up with a bunch. I would like to hook them up to my tv as I guess they will be a little better than the stock ones in the tv. I need a decent small 2 channel amplifier that is compatible with a samsung tv and can handle the speakers. They are rated up to 100w according to the manual. Any recommendations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I was recently given some Bose 161 speakers by some friends who ended up with a bunch. I would like to hook them up to my tv as I guess they will be a little better than the stock ones in the tv. I need a decent small 2 channel amplifier that is compatible with a samsung tv and can handle the speakers. They are rated up to 100w according to the manual. Any recommendations?

Just in case you might not get an answer since you need something pretty specific, I would suggest asking in the AV subforum. linky

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

cannonballs posted:

Looking for recommendations for the following:
-Inexpensive (less than $50) women's leather gloves for the winter. Warmth/comfort supersedes cuteness.

I almost want the opposite thing!

Looking for men's leather gloves, warm but not too bulky. Same price range, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for quality. Looks matter too.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ColHannibal posted:

http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-hank-black-waxy-pull-up-waxy-canvas

I was looking for a boot for my first winter in Nebraska (California native) that I can still wear in the office that will look classy. I found this but is there some end all be all good black boot I should be looking at?

Those look flimsily made to me, but in any case look at this thread, these guys know boots: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3044360

I personally have been very pleased with Redwing boots (their engineer and iron ranger models specifically, although they've flat soles that don't go quite as well with a wet winter) and the ubiquitous doc martens, which aren't as stylish but the made-in-england ones are comfy and durable.

the yeti has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Oct 17, 2011

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I'm a skinny guy of average hight I think, 5'8" 32 waste, and I am looking for dress shirts that won't break the bank. Small shirts fit my torso but the sleeves are too short, most medium shirts have the right sleeve length but are too billowy in the torso.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Circus Pies! posted:

I'm a skinny guy of average hight I think, 5'8" 32 waste, and I am looking for dress shirts that won't break the bank. Small shirts fit my torso but the sleeves are too short, most medium shirts have the right sleeve length but are too billowy in the torso.

Go get measured so you know your sleeve, neck, and chesty size so you can buy shirts.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Imasalmon posted:

Go get measured so you know your sleeve, neck, and chesty size so you can buy shirts.

Yeah, there are more sizes in men's shirts than "S, M, L, XL, etc..."

Get measured, and then you'll know if you're 15 32/33, 151/2 32/33, 16 34/35, etc...

First number is collar size, second number is sleeve length. So if you're average height, small waist and neck, but longer arms, try something like a 14 32/33, or 141/2 34/35.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How exactly do you go about getting measured if you're not planning on buying anything from whoever is measuring you?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

feedmyleg posted:

How exactly do you go about getting measured if you're not planning on buying anything from whoever is measuring you?

Just act like you are interested. You won;t be the first one to shop there, ask for help and not buy anything. And who knows, maybe you actually find something nice.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

feedmyleg posted:

You ask. Really.

"Hi, I am not buying right now, but I am trying to better understand what size I ought to be buying. Can you measuring me real quick?"

Seriously, it takes 30 seconds. Go to a Brooks Brothers or something, and they won't mind. They will try to sell you something, anyways.

Alternatively: "Hi, I am interested in better fitting shirts, but I don't know my size. Can you measure me?" This will also get the job done, still not be lying, and yet still flirt with the idea that you might buy from them,

Imasalmon has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Oct 19, 2011

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Imasalmon posted:

You ask. Really.

"Hi, I am not buying right now, but I am trying to better understand what size I ought to be buying. Can you measuring me real quick?"

Seriously, it takes 30 seconds. Go to a Brooks Brothers or something, and they won't mind. They will try to sell you something, anyways.

Alternatively: "Hi, I am interested in better fitting shirts, but I don't know my size. Can you measure me?" This will also get the job done, still not be lying, and yet still flirt with the idea that you might buy from them,

As an interesting side note, I am almost exactly your size and had the same problem, and Brooks Brothers has all of their shirts available in an extra slim fit, starting this month I think. I'm wearing one right now, and it's my favorite shirt. The extra money you pay for a shirt that fits like it should is well worth it. Also, just ask whatever store you're in what their slimmest cut is what you need to do once you get measured (which is in the job description of the people working the floor). For Ralph Lauren it's called custom fit, same for Van Heusen I think. Just ask.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I'm looking to get a capacitive stylus to use on my phone and maybe a tablet down the road. I've poked around and they all look to be about ten bucks give or take... I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a particular model or brand, or if it doesn't really matter which I buy?

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!
I'm looking into replacing my iPhone 3GS, preferably with an Android. So, I had been looking at the Galaxy S 2, but not certain about it. Anyone got any alternative suggestions, or should I wait for the Galaxy Nexus? Also, if anyone has recently taken the same kind of switch, what way did you migrate your music etc over? I guess the easiest way would be to just convert my library over to mp3, but if anyone knows a better way, I'm interested.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Would probably be better to ask in here

CrackSpider posted:

I'm looking to get a capacitive stylus to use on my phone and maybe a tablet down the road. I've poked around and they all look to be about ten bucks give or take... I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a particular model or brand, or if it doesn't really matter which I buy?

Boxwave from Amazon is commonly recommended.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm looking for a couple of things:

- A bookbag or messenger bag with room for a small netbook and a bunch of other IT equipment (some spare cables, thumb drives, headphones, cell phone, etc.) Hopefully something that looks good/stylish and is functional.

- A bluetooth to stereo adapter for my car. I have a 1/8 stereo input aux jack on my car stereo, and I want to be able to play music via the bluetooth on my Android phone. Preferably something I don't have to charge all the time (cigarette lighter adapter?)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Gyshall posted:

- A bluetooth to stereo adapter for my car. I have a 1/8 stereo input aux jack on my car stereo, and I want to be able to play music via the bluetooth on my Android phone. Preferably something I don't have to charge all the time (cigarette lighter adapter?)

Out of curiosity, why not just use the phone's headphone jack? It's not like you should be handling the phone so having it corded wouldn't be a problem, and you would lose any kind of bluetooth control functionality (if such exists) by using an adapter anyways.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Koruthaiolos posted:

Out of curiosity, why not just use the phone's headphone jack? It's not like you should be handling the phone so having it corded wouldn't be a problem, and you would lose any kind of bluetooth control functionality (if such exists) by using an adapter anyways.

I want one too. It's because I don't want to hook up the cable every time I get into the car. I can set the phone on the dock and it will automatically switch to the music player and start playing.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Gyshall posted:

- A bookbag or messenger bag with room for a small netbook and a bunch of other IT equipment (some spare cables, thumb drives, headphones, cell phone, etc.) Hopefully something that looks good/stylish and is functional.

I just picked up a bag from these guys and really like it so far.

http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/street-packs/guys/network

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
A new year's coming up. Anyone crazy over a certain style of day planner/journal?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Internet Cliche posted:

A new year's coming up. Anyone crazy over a certain style of day planner/journal?

What's best will vary depending on your needs, but if you have a full meeting, task and delegation schedule to manage, Harvard Planners are an excellent option.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I'm looking for a small pocket knife that I could use while camping or to open boxes and jewel cases without looking like a nimrod.

Before anyone recommends Spyderco, I'm looking for something a little more traditional looking.

Any good brands or specific knives any of you would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Because the cables are both annoying, don't last very long (I replace them every four months or so for whatever reason) and they are an eye sore.

• Locked thread