Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hellblazer187 posted:

It is white. I've heard bleach ruins a gi. I guess I could spot treat, though, it's a pretty small stain. I want to get rid of the sweat stains in the armpit area though so I guess I'll do a vinegar soak first and see how that works. How many parts vinegar to water? Or just pure vinegar?

I used bleach 3 times on my cheap 70$ double weave judo gi and it didn't destroy it. I've had it for many years and it still is in perfect shape.

I wouldn't use bleach everytime you wash your gi, but if regular washing with an acid doesn't do anything it's not like using bleach one will ruin your gi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OK, great, thanks for the advice. I'll try a vinegar/lemon juice soak for a few hours then a regular wash. If that doesn't do it I'll spot treat both stain areas with bleach and regular wash. If that doesn't work I'll just wear a gross looking gi.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hellblazer187 posted:

OK, great, thanks for the advice. I'll try a vinegar/lemon juice soak for a few hours then a regular wash. If that doesn't do it I'll spot treat both stain areas with bleach and regular wash. If that doesn't work I'll just wear a gross looking gi.

white vinegar will work better than lemon juice I think so use just that. I'd soak the gi in some water, add 1 cup of vinegar and some soap.

Let that sit for a long while and then just wash it. You can always add another cup of vinegar in the washing machine too.

Know that your gi might smell like fries after that treatment so it might need another regular wash to get the smell out.

Using bleach, make sure you dilute it before using it. What I did was add it to the washing machine once it was full of water. I really didn't add a lot, so remember that a little bleach goes a long way.

I never spot treated a gi, but if I did I'd still dilute the gently caress out of the bleach before. You could always try those "spot treatment" tube they sell to remove stain on clothes too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hellblazer187 posted:

Any advice for cleaning cat urine/blood (kitty is sick :( ) out of a Judo gi? I saw people on here mentioning vinegar before but I didn't see anything like that when I googled

There's this cleaning product called Blood Remover. Tide has a product of it. You should be able to find it around the laundry supplies at stores. The one time I used it (on very dried blood), it got the blood 80% out, which was pretty impressive, but obviously not perfect. Hope your cat gets better :3:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

I'm looking for sponsors to help with gym/equipment fees for my next fight. Does anyone have any experience with the process? We have a couple guys who do sponsor searching, but I have infinitely more connections to rich philanthropists.

I just don't know how to present it, how much I should ask for etc

The rule of thumb that I heard that for sponsorships was that if you took your entire purse for the fight, the sponsorships would kick in the same amount as your purse. ^:shobon:^

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

There's this cleaning product called Blood Remover. Tide has a product of it. You should be able to find it around the laundry supplies at stores. The one time I used it (on very dried blood), it got the blood 80% out, which was pretty impressive, but obviously not perfect. Hope your cat gets better :3:

Just use a hydrogen peroxide based cleaner. I use OxyClean myself. It doesn't cause bleach rot and it gets blood out without a trace.

For competitions I usually keep a small thing of hydrogen peroxide handy to clean blood off between matches.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Just use a hydrogen peroxide based cleaner. I use OxyClean myself. It doesn't cause bleach rot and it gets blood out without a trace.

For competitions I usually keep a small thing of hydrogen peroxide handy to clean blood off between matches.

OxyClean is pretty amazing. It peels the labels from beer bottles.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'll do a vinegar soak first and see how that works. How many parts vinegar to water? Or just pure vinegar?

Vinegar's the bitch for washing off smells. I use a solution of one part white vinegar and 20 to 40 parts of water. As long as the water smells vinegarey, and the things soaked in it smell like that too, you are off to a very good start. I had some summer training soaked shirts with the additional - and unremovable - "ammonia" smell of training on very low carbs (your body burns protein for energy and it gives a certain whiff that's hard to remove) that were unusable. I'd wash them and the instant they got wet they'd have distinct tang of old goat and ammonia.

I gave them a 4 hour soak in warm 1 parts vinegar 20 parts water solution and still use the same shirts two years after. No ammonia or old goat smell even when they become soaking wet from sweat.

Some people just give a light solution 10-15 min rinse on training, gym or jogging gear before each regular soap wash to keep your poo poo at least smelling if not looking fresh.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I took it out of the vinegar soak and the stain was still there. I sprayed a little stain remover on it and threw it in with my blue gi that I wore today. We'll see if running it through the wash works but my hopes aren't high. I'll try bleach next.

My cat will be fine but I will be $2,200.00 poorer after surgery.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I stumbled into the Martial Arts subforum on Fitocracy today... and it made me appreciate this thread so much more. You guys are awesome.

But why don't we have discussions about DragonBall Z Training or argue about whether LARPing counts as martial arts training?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 19, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Hellblazer187 posted:

I took it out of the vinegar soak and the stain was still there. I sprayed a little stain remover on it and threw it in with my blue gi that I wore today. We'll see if running it through the wash works but my hopes aren't high. I'll try bleach next.

I don't know what kind of gi you have, but I would never, never, EVER wash a normal blue Japanese gi since they tend to leak indigo for ages and ages.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I stumbled into the Martial Arts subforum on Fitocracy today... and it made me appreciate this thread so much more. You guys are awesome.

... posted:

One of my favorite workouts is simply to grapple on the ground and try to submit or be submitted. When I am evenly matched in skill and strength, it can be brutal. Most of the time I end in draws and my ground game is admittedly my weakest area but when there is a submission, it is almost always against me. So here is a thread to talk about submissions and what you like to do to in order to escape them. So far the only submission I can consistently and quickly escape is the arm triangle. Especially as sweaty as we get, I just push upwards (or towards where the top of my head is facing) on the elbow of the bicep that's actually touching my neck and pop my head down. Done suddenly enough, I usually get out on my first try.

"I have worked out a rough escape to a basic submission that may or may not work against a weak white belt, discuss:"

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I've gotten a few friends of mine hooked on Fitocracy. Sadly, those friends got their friends hooked, and they're all LARPers. Christ on a stick I want to stab everyone.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

tarepanda posted:

I don't know what kind of gi you have, but I would never, never, EVER wash a normal blue Japanese gi since they tend to leak indigo for ages and ages.

I was my gi after every practice. It doesn't seem to fade or run at all. https://www.tigerclaw.com/blue-hayashi-single-weave-judo-uniform-martial-arts-pr-8085.html

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

tarepanda posted:

you just... don't wash your blue gi?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

tarepanda posted:

those indigo dyed gis are not like a normal blue bjj gi. They use a special dye that is designed to leak over everything, it is supposed to be good for bruises or something (maybe just bullshit cover for not updating to post-industrial dying technology). You either hand wash them or do a separate machine run to clean them.

I think only Kendo/Iado uses that style these days, the sleeves are really short and they actually have tie strings to keep them shut.

A Japanese bjj or judo gi should be plain old blue dye like every other blue 21st century textile.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I was my gi after every practice. It doesn't seem to fade or run at all. https://www.tigerclaw.com/blue-hayashi-single-weave-judo-uniform-martial-arts-pr-8085.html

I mainly use Hayashi gi's as well, in various colors. Never had an issue with them bleeding. Plus I don't like looking a billboard :haw:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If you wear anything other than a plain white gi with either a white or black belt, you are definitely some kind of messed up narcissist, or possibly Metro-Sexual.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Your gi smelling like piss I can understand, but who cares about blood stains? It's very :black101:

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

"I have worked out a rough escape to a basic submission that may or may not work against a weak white belt, discuss:"

That is pretty funny, but on that topic let's talk about it for a second.

Does anyone actually have a reliable escape from the head and arm choke? I was taught to make a fist with the hand on the arm that is being attacked. Place your other hand on your fist, keeping your arm that is being attacked at a right angle, and drive your elbow into the neck of your opponent to create space. Then, if possible, hip bump rolling up on to your side facing in to your opponent. Attempt to use the space created between your bodies to escape your elbow from it's trapped position and out of the submission.

This technique works against white belts, and may buy you a few seconds against someone with experience, but it definitely is not reliable.

Thoughts?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

james earl pwns posted:

If you wear anything other than a plain white gi with either a white or black belt, you are definitely some kind of messed up narcissist, or possibly Metro-Sexual.

-Rickson Gracie

(for real my friend is going to a Rickson seminar and you are required to wear only plain white gi's)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If kata gatame do right, no can defense!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

That is pretty funny, but on that topic let's talk about it for a second.

Does anyone actually have a reliable escape from the head and arm choke? I was taught to make a fist with the hand on the arm that is being attacked. Place your other hand on your fist, keeping your arm that is being attacked at a right angle, and drive your elbow into the neck of your opponent to create space. Then, if possible, hip bump rolling up on to your side facing in to your opponent. Attempt to use the space created between your bodies to escape your elbow from it's trapped position and out of the submission.

This technique works against white belts, and may buy you a few seconds against someone with experience, but it definitely is not reliable.

Thoughts?

Thats more or less the thing to do, the best escape to an arm triangle is to not get into that position in the first place, if its locked on you basically just have to buy yourself time or hope the other guy is really tired/slippery/a loser

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah pretty much. Answer the Telephone and hope their arms gas.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Its kind of like a RNC. Once its really set, its too late for an overly high percentage escape.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Rhaka posted:

Christ on a stick I want to stab everyone.
If you LARP, you can stab everyone.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rhaka posted:

I've gotten a few friends of mine hooked on Fitocracy. Sadly, those friends got their friends hooked, and they're all LARPers. Christ on a stick I want to stab everyone.

Do you mean they post their LARP's as exercise and talk about stabbing over there or what

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Ligur posted:

Do you mean they post their LARP's as exercise and talk about stabbing over there or what

Pretty much this, combined with a million weakass standing calf raises. It's all one big self-congratulatory circlejerk.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

its best to just try and avoid that kind of delusional MA stuff, all it does is screw up your blood pressure and spike your frustration level.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I went to BJJ today and I've noticed that there are some guys that seem to attack with their knees a lot when engaging. It's not like they're kneeing or striking my body per se but rather when they're trying to pass my guard it seems all their bodyweight is centralized on their knees or elbows. I assume that's completely kosher right? Hurts like hell and now I want to start using it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You can use them for all kinds of stuff. When you're passing closed guard, you can get it up under their spine and hold them off the ground, as well as putting a lot of pressure forward while you move the rest of your body back, to bust their legs open. You can also finish a lot of guard passes by sliding the knee over the top.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Well, gently caress me, I feel like the biggest pussy ever now.

So I was at a party, and a semi-friend of mine was nodding off. The established social convention here is you are fair game for marker doodles if you fall asleep, so I grabbed a marker, silently creeped closer, and softly gave the guy a mustache. I realize this is retarded, but anyway;

Guy flips out, bashes me aside. All fun and games, but he grabs my leg, comes after me super loving aggresively, with a completely blank expression, grabs the marker and starts stabbing at my face. I stop myself from bashing his face in because hey, marker, just push him off, get wrestled to the floor and finally get stabbed in the face a few times, very nearly in my eyes. This all takes place over maybe 10 seconds.

I manage to get him to stop, tell him to chill the gently caress out, etc, etc. Afterwards, massive loving adrenaline dump in my body, shaking all over, called it quits for the night. It felt like the guy was coming at me with a knife, I seriously didn't know if he meant to do me harm or was messing around. In retrospect I wish I had done something to stop him instead of just pushing him away, could easily have lost an eye.

And now I'm at home again and actually feel like poo poo because someone came at me with a marker. What the gently caress.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

origami posted:

I went to BJJ today and I've noticed that there are some guys that seem to attack with their knees a lot when engaging. It's not like they're kneeing or striking my body per se but rather when they're trying to pass my guard it seems all their bodyweight is centralized on their knees or elbows. I assume that's completely kosher right? Hurts like hell and now I want to start using it.

Wait till people use elbows and shoulders. Hope you have a mouth guard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rhaka posted:

So I was at a party, and a semi-friend of mine was nodding off. The established social convention here is you are fair game for marker doodles if you fall asleep, so I grabbed a marker, silently creeped closer, and softly gave the guy a mustache. I realize this is retarded, but anyway;

Guy flips out, bashes me aside. All fun and games, but he grabs my leg, comes after me super loving aggresively, with a completely blank expression, grabs the marker and starts stabbing at my face. I stop myself from bashing his face in because hey, marker, just push him off, get wrestled to the floor and finally get stabbed in the face a few times, very nearly in my eyes. This all takes place over maybe 10 seconds.

I manage to get him to stop, tell him to chill the gently caress out, etc, etc. Afterwards, massive loving adrenaline dump in my body, shaking all over, called it quits for the night. It felt like the guy was coming at me with a knife, I seriously didn't know if he meant to do me harm or was messing around. In retrospect I wish I had done something to stop him instead of just pushing him away, could easily have lost an eye.

And now I'm at home again and actually feel like poo poo because someone came at me with a marker. What the gently caress.

It's too bad you don't train Krav Maga because you could have broken that guys knee, pinned him on his back, and forced him to swallow the marker before he knew what the hell was going on

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

-Rickson Gracie

(for real my friend is going to a Rickson seminar and you are required to wear only plain white gi's)

Rickson cared. Kron didn't. But it sure felt stupid being the only two blue gi's there. Except when he picked me out to show everything on ^_^

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Rhaka posted:

Adrenaline dumps always make you feel weird afterward. You should just be happy that youve lived a trauma-free life where a teen coming at you with a marker can still set you off like that

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

mewse posted:

It's too bad you don't train Krav Maga because you could have broken that guys knee, pinned him on his back, and forced him to swallow the marker before he knew what the hell was going on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

james earl pwns posted:

Adrenaline dumps always make you feel weird afterward. You should just be happy that youve lived a trauma-free life where a teen coming at you with a marker can still set you off like that

This is true, and good advice. To the original poster, the best I can recommend:

More grappling training. The more training you do, the more confident you will feel in that realm, and the less likely it will be that you'll be overwhelmed by an adrenaline dump.

Also, next time something like that happens... you don't have to get all mad and 'fight back' and defend your manhood, or anything like that. If he 'playfully' attacks you, than I recommend 'playfully' choking or arm-locking him. It'll only take once and then everyone will know who daddy really is, and nobody will want to mess with you again.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Kumo Jr. posted:

This is true, and good advice. To the original poster, the best I can recommend:

More grappling training. The more training you do, the more confident you will feel in that realm, and the less likely it will be that you'll be overwhelmed by an adrenaline dump.

Also, next time something like that happens... you don't have to get all mad and 'fight back' and defend your manhood, or anything like that. If he 'playfully' attacks you, than I recommend 'playfully' choking or arm-locking him. It'll only take once and then everyone will know who daddy really is, and nobody will want to mess with you again.

Gonna agree with this for the the most part. (Although more submission grappling is generally better, be aware what a guy with a knife can do and how this changes things, if you want to go that route.)

Also, don't cause situations with people where they are forced to save face.

I think anyone would be quite reasonably pissed if some acquaintence (semi-friend? really?) drew on their face, particularly unprovoked. Really, your idea was loving dumb.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Rhaka posted:

I'm not saying it's ok to attack people, but think about the situation from the other point of view. If you woke up and some random guy you aren't friends with is drawing poo poo on your face, wouldn't you be angry? You said that you're not even sure that he was even trying to hurt you. So what do you think you should have done other than what you did? Part of handling situations like that is being able to think clearly. Other than getting him to stop, what else could you have done? It sounds like the situation got diffused and no one got hurt. Breaking someone's face might make your ego feel better in the heat of the moment but that's probably not the wisest course of action in the long run.

I was in a huge line for a roller coaster a few weeks ago when some rear end in a top hat and his girlfriend cut in line in front of us. One girl in our group called him out on it and his response was basically "gently caress you, what are you going to do about it?" I will admit that a small part of me wanted to double-leg him into the ground and choke him out in front of his girlfriend. But logically, there's not really a winning scenario. He either beats the poo poo out of me, which is not good for me, or I beat the poo poo out of him and possibly get arrested and have to deal with legal issues over getting onto a roller coaster faster. It sucks for your ego, but not getting into a physical confrontation unless you're protecting yourself or others is usually the best choice.

Fleshpeg fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 21, 2011

• Locked thread