Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I have something from UPS that says it's going to be here in boston by friday, but the last status update was 2 days ago in MO, where the heck is it? Has it been in transit for 2 days or something? The gently caress...

I want to know if it'll come early so I can know when to be home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
I am in a situation where I need to move quickly to a new city due to family issues but I currently hold a mortgage. More than likely with this job market I will not be able to get a job that pays what I earn right now and due to the housing market my house is worth considerably less than when I purchased it 5 years ago.

What would happen if I just stop paying my mortgage since I probably will have considerably less income? Do I contact the bank and say, "Hey this is my situation. I cannot sell it for what it is worth nor can I even afford to pay you now anyway." and take it from there? This loan is not Fannie or Freddie backed so I cannot qualify for any of the past federal assistance programs.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

morrisirrom posted:

I am in a situation where I need to move quickly to a new city due to family issues but I currently hold a mortgage. More than likely with this job market I will not be able to get a job that pays what I earn right now and due to the housing market my house is worth considerably less than when I purchased it 5 years ago.

What would happen if I just stop paying my mortgage since I probably will have considerably less income? Do I contact the bank and say, "Hey this is my situation. I cannot sell it for what it is worth nor can I even afford to pay you now anyway." and take it from there? This loan is not Fannie or Freddie backed so I cannot qualify for any of the past federal assistance programs.
If your situation is truly unavoidable it can't hurt to call and talk. Banks are stepping up the foreclosures these days, but you maybe able to work something out to minimize your pain. It's worth a shot.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you're making the earth a sphere, it would just be
((circumference of earth in feet) / 2) seconds
Related: if you tied a rope around the earth's equator, how much more rope would you need to add in order to be able to lift that rope 1 foot off the ground all the way around? (ignoring mountains and poo poo, assuming the earth's equator is a circle, which it isn't really, of course.)

Just 6.28 feet. Circumference = 2*pi*r, if r increases by 1, circumference increases by 2*pi=6.28

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Anyone know what it is that makes water go "stale?" I'm guessing it's some sort of oxidation type process, since it happens to waterglasses left out, or water stored in a half-empty bottle, but not in new vacuum-sealed bottles.

Anyone know?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doc Faustus posted:

Anyone know what it is that makes water go "stale?" I'm guessing it's some sort of oxidation type process, since it happens to waterglasses left out, or water stored in a half-empty bottle, but not in new vacuum-sealed bottles.

Anyone know?

Microscopic critters start to get out of control, especially if the water has been drank from. Evaporation over time also makes the salts more concentrated.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

morrisirrom posted:

It doesn't have to be Fannie/Freddie to be applicable for assistance programs, and your bank should have programs other then the federal assist program.

As for selling it for less then you owe, thats called "Short Sale" and generally is only accepted in cases of severe delinquency/bancruptcy/foreclosure.

Again, contact your bank as their policies and procedures are probably different then the mortgage lender I work for.

If you want some further more specific advice, feel free to pm me.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Dudebro posted:

I was hoping someone might be able to answer this. Wikipedia has a strong finances/economy subsection, but it would be as detailed as an encyclopedia.

I think the khanacademy.org might be a good place to start. I haven't checked out much of his videos on that topic, but his former profession was in the financial industry and it's nice to have one guy telling you how stuff works (he dumbs it down enough). Go down to the finance section, so many videos. I should actually make it a personal goal to watch at least one every day. Might literally be in the top 5 most useful sites in the world. I can't believe all of his videos have less than 100 million views (or so I've heard).

http://www.khanacademy.org/#browse

Thanks, this is actually awesome. It was a fairly complex question to answer, so I wasn't surprised that I didn't get a response. Again, thanks!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

morrisirrom posted:

Be prepared for your bank to be exactly zero help if you are not already delinquent.

Also, the applicable laws vary from state to state. Don't think you can just walk away and be free and clear of it. Foreclosure may just be the start of your woes. You may get hooked with a deficiency judgement and really be in a bind.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Zewle posted:

Not sure if this thread is the wrong place for this but:

How could I convince an Israeli friend of mine to be uh, not anti-palestine? He's pretty laid back and reasonable but he's definitely been sold some nasty dehumanizing propaganda. Any suggestions for making a salient point besides just trying to appeal to the better part of him?

This is as easy as convincing a god-believer that god doesn't exist. However, if you really want to try i would go along these lines: there are 2 options, either they will coexist (in a way that allow both sides to have meaningful productive lives) or it will only stop once Israel cleanses Gaza and West Bank of arabs (actually, that second option would only end once the world is cleansed). Now, if your friend is ok with the cleansing option, dude, there's no amount of reason that could change his opinion.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Doc Faustus posted:

Anyone know?

Water also tends to dissociate to H30+ and OH- over time, and that alters the taste, as well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lawnie posted:

Water also tends to dissociate to H30+ and OH- over time, and that alters the taste, as well.

Wouldn't this also happen in a sealed bottle?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
What would happen if I bought land in a foreign country as a US Citizen? I assume it would depend on the country so suppose Canada or maybe Ireland. Would I be able to visit my land any time I wanted or would I be subject to restrictions because of my nationality? Could I build on it? What if I just wanted to save the land and put it in my portfolio, would that require any amount of effort past buying it?

Chilly
Apr 12, 2006

randyest posted:

I'm sorry to interrupt the I/P argument, but there are matters of the utmost importance to be tended to:

I don't know what a crumpet wiffler or a banana shield is but I'm pretty sure I need at least one of each. Unfortunately google is of no assistance in my endeavor to find a way to purchase these devices. Please to point me where I might procure such items. I would like them to be of the finest quality. Thank you.

No problem old bean!

Banana Shields
http://www.bananaguard.com/

Crumpet Wifflers!
http://www.yeoldeenglishkitcheneimplements.co.uk/finestquality/crumwif.html

they are made up, sorry!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

dongsweep posted:

What would happen if I bought land in a foreign country as a US Citizen? I assume it would depend on the country so suppose Canada or maybe Ireland. Would I be able to visit my land any time I wanted or would I be subject to restrictions because of my nationality? Could I build on it? What if I just wanted to save the land and put it in my portfolio, would that require any amount of effort past buying it?

You would be able to visit your land as much as any other tourist for the most part. As far as buying the land there would be some (wildly varying) restrictions and regulations but once you own it you can build per the local regulations/code/ordinances. The effort comes with any property taxes you would have to pay.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

randyest posted:

Related: if you tied a rope around the earth's equator, how much more rope would you need to add in order to be able to lift that rope 1 foot off the ground all the way around? (ignoring mountains and poo poo, assuming the earth's equator is a circle, which it isn't really, of course.)

Just 6.28 feet. Circumference = 2*pi*r, if r increases by 1, circumference increases by 2*pi=6.28

wouldn't it be twice that since there's a one foot displacement on either side of the earth?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Wouldn't this also happen in a sealed bottle?

Even bottled water that sits long enough will go bad. The presence of O2 in an open glass accelerates the process.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

computer parts posted:

wouldn't it be twice that since there's a one foot displacement on either side of the earth?

Nope, because the equation depends on the radius, not the diameter.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

You would be able to visit your land as much as any other tourist for the most part. As far as buying the land there would be some (wildly varying) restrictions and regulations but once you own it you can build per the local regulations/code/ordinances. The effort comes with any property taxes you would have to pay.

Thank you, that was the exact type of answer I was looking for.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I found a skull while hiking today and I'm not sure what type of animal it was. I didn't measure it but it's probably 3-4" long. I assumed it was probably a squirrel at first but a bit of research shows that it looks more like certain types of foxes or even a really small dog, though it seems quite narrow for most of those. The ear part of the skull makes me think it is a fox, but I couldn't find any pictures that looks quite like this. This was found in Connecticut.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
I was thinking dog at first, but after studying my dog's dentition and some googling, it looks more like a fox skull, or maybe a coyote. Definitely a non-dog canine though.

Wotan fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 21, 2011

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

I found a skull while hiking today and I'm not sure what type of animal it was.

I'd put money on that being a raccoon skull.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barnum posted:

I was thinking dog at first, but after studying my dog's dentition and some googling, it looks more like a fox skull, or maybe a coyote. Definitely a non-dog canine though.

Coyotes are not non-dog canines. Well, technically there is no such thing as a "non-dog canine." You're thinking of a non-dog canid :spergin:

Serious response: All carnivorans have that sort of dental pattern. This could be a seal for all we know (it isn't). It's only a couple of inches in length so it's probably a raccoon or some kind of weasel or even a small lapdog. Maybe a cat, but the snout is a little long. This is all assuming it belonged to an adult, of course.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 21, 2011

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Man, do I hate asking this: on tonight's Greys Anatomy there was a guy married to a woman with a brain tumor. He's really drat familiar but I can't place him, and it's killing me. Not on imdb or anything like that. Anybody happen to see it and know who I'm talking about?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

computer parts posted:

1 foot increase in radius = 2 foot increase in diameter, but the end result is the same

π(d+2) = πd + 2π

2π(r+1) = 2πr + 2π

so, 2π increase in either case

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

jackpot posted:

Man, do I hate asking this: on tonight's Greys Anatomy there was a guy married to a woman with a brain tumor. He's really drat familiar but I can't place him, and it's killing me. Not on imdb or anything like that. Anybody happen to see it and know who I'm talking about?

I didn't see it but wikipedia says Lee Majors possibly.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Chilly posted:

No problem old bean!

Banana Shields
http://www.bananaguard.com/

Crumpet Wifflers!
http://www.yeoldeenglishkitcheneimplements.co.uk/finestquality/crumwif.html

they are made up, sorry!

Whether you meant to make them up or not, the Banana Guard is real and you only got the URL slightly wrong. It's http://www.bananaguards.co.uk/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any (preferably free) comprehensive PowerPoint-esque software you all would recommend? Especially for making really fancy looking presentations?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

OrangeGuy posted:

Are there any (preferably free) comprehensive PowerPoint-esque software you all would recommend? Especially for making really fancy looking presentations?

For really fancy ones, Prezi is awesome.

Chilly
Apr 12, 2006

marshmallard posted:

Whether you meant to make them up or not, the Banana Guard is real and you only got the URL slightly wrong. It's http://www.bananaguards.co.uk/

I only made up the crumpet wiffler. The weird thing is I copied the banana URL from a working website seconds before posting it.

I'm so glad someone picked up on it by the way. I thought it was going to be wasted effort after the thread went in a different direction.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Not sure if there is a better place for this somewhere, but what is the best bet for me to warm up a few small spaces in a 1,000 square foot rental duplex? I'd assume a pair of space heaters of some sort would be best since it's only needed for the couch in the (large) living room and around the computer desk in the office.

I looked into space heaters on my own and ran into a pretty large variety that I have no idea about. Also I'm pretty poor and am looking to spend as little as possible monthly and initially. Before the suggestions come, yes I already wear sweaters/two pairs of socks around the house. But I'm used to a winter being in the 60's at night and would really like to be somewhat comfortable in my own house.

Edit: While I am betraying how utterly confused by the cold I am I might as well ask if cotton scarves are even worth the effort or should I just keep saving for something wool?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 21, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I have a gmail filters question.

I have 3 gmail accounts, one personal for friends and family only, one for work and one for registering on websites. I prefer just staying logged in to my personal account and having everything from my work account filtered and forwarded.

Currently my filter is: to "myworkgmail@gmail" mark as read, forward to "mypersonalgmail@gmail". Now some of the associations I'm a member of and lately the director of my school are somehow sending emails without including my address in the "to" field. I've been checking the other account every week or so since I noticed but is there a better way to catch them than to include "from * or individual email address" in another filter?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

greazeball posted:

I have a gmail filters question.

I have 3 gmail accounts, one personal for friends and family only, one for work and one for registering on websites. I prefer just staying logged in to my personal account and having everything from my work account filtered and forwarded.

Currently my filter is: to "myworkgmail@gmail" mark as read, forward to "mypersonalgmail@gmail". Now some of the associations I'm a member of and lately the director of my school are somehow sending emails without including my address in the "to" field. I've been checking the other account every week or so since I noticed but is there a better way to catch them than to include "from * or individual email address" in another filter?

Don't use a filter to forward. It's messy.

1) Under your work account, go into Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Add a forwarding address and put in your personal account.
2) Under your personal account, go into Settings > Accounts and Import > Add your work email as a 'Send Mail As' account. If the work one / any of your accounts aren't hosted on gmail, make sure you send using it's own server. This'll fully mask that the email is going through another account in the first place.
3) Under your personal account, Go into Settings > Filters and create a filter for IF (from:myworkgmail@gmail) THEN (label:"Work") or something similar. Yeah, you'll still have to deal with the occasional email not being tagged, but at least they'll all be in your primary.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

marshmallard posted:

I've heard of that one. I'll give it a shot. :)

Also, probably a stupid question, but are there any great websites which collected the main key points about Congressional representatives and senators and especially about the presidential candidates that have or are still running for 2012?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Travakian posted:

Don't use a filter to forward. It's messy.

1) Under your work account, go into Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Add a forwarding address and put in your personal account.
2) Under your personal account, go into Settings > Accounts and Import > Add your work email as a 'Send Mail As' account. If the work one / any of your accounts aren't hosted on gmail, make sure you send using it's own server. This'll fully mask that the email is going through another account in the first place.
3) Under your personal account, Go into Settings > Filters and create a filter for IF (from:myworkgmail@gmail) THEN (label:"Work") or something similar. Yeah, you'll still have to deal with the occasional email not being tagged, but at least they'll all be in your primary.

:doh: Well, that was simple. Thanks for the answer!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Pweller posted:

I didn't see it but wikipedia says Lee Majors possibly.
Nah, I'd know the Fall Guy man anywhere. :)

I can picture him as a younger guy, and bigger (and blonder, I think), but can't for the life of me remember who he is. I feel like he's not the kind of actor who plays leading roles, but he's the kind of guy who's the main character's best friend. Jesus, I'm dyin' here.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

jackpot posted:

Nah, I'd know the Fall Guy man anywhere. :)

I can picture him as a younger guy, and bigger (and blonder, I think), but can't for the life of me remember who he is. I feel like he's not the kind of actor who plays leading roles, but he's the kind of guy who's the main character's best friend. Jesus, I'm dyin' here.

Is it this guy? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005231/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

marshmallard posted:

OrangeGuy posted:

I've heard of that one. I'll give it a shot. :)

To follow up on this: What is your presentation about? Because if this is academic (especially for science) or professional, your professors/superiors are going to get pretty aggravated when you use Prezi.

If this is for more casual use, then feel free to use Prezi, but please for the love of god learn how to make interesting presentations with it first. A number of my students tried to use it last year (because it's so pretty and different!) and they turned out to be not only the most ugly and boring presentations I have ever seen, but they were also literally nauseating because of how they made their section transitions. Watch some of the demo videos on their website to know what a good Prezi presentation is. Most of them are pretty awful still. Bottom line: Abandon it if you plan to just use static "slides" with a sickening zoom transition between all of them.

I would personally recommend the Impress program that comes with the Libre Office suite.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 21, 2011

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Baggot posted:

Is it this guy? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005231/
Yep, thanks! :)

He was in The Day After Tomorrow, but mostly I think I recognized him as Benvolio from Romeo and Juliet.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Not sure if there is a better place for this somewhere, but what is the best bet for me to warm up a few small spaces in a 1,000 square foot rental duplex? I'd assume a pair of space heaters of some sort would be best since it's only needed for the couch in the (large) living room and around the computer desk in the office.

I looked into space heaters on my own and ran into a pretty large variety that I have no idea about. Also I'm pretty poor and am looking to spend as little as possible monthly and initially. Before the suggestions come, yes I already wear sweaters/two pairs of socks around the house. But I'm used to a winter being in the 60's at night and would really like to be somewhat comfortable in my own house.

Edit: While I am betraying how utterly confused by the cold I am I might as well ask if cotton scarves are even worth the effort or should I just keep saving for something wool?

This is a decent overview of your options. The general gist of it is that ceramic heaters are going to be efficient at heating a smaller space, but oil-filled radiant heaters are going to probably be best at keeping a larger space warm. I personally have experience with an oil-filled heater, and I was very satisfied with its performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I successfully heated a (poorly-insulated) 30x15 living room and an 18x15 bedroom with two of these last winter. They seem like they're not putting out a lot of heat, but they actually do an excellent job of heating the room.