Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This reminds me of those stupid YouTube videos where somebody just loops one phrase constantly ("NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!") I kept thinking it was going to stop any second now. And it just keeps going. And going. And going.

Yeah, I started reading them, and they just kept going. I gave up, started to scroll and they STILL kept going. Not that any of it matters because it tries to divert the issue away from what OWS is about. Everyone may have their own personal reasons for supporting it, but at the end of the day, at the heart of it all is that the wealth inequality in the US is absolutely terrible. America has gotten richer and richer, as a nation, over the past three decades; but nearly all of that new wealth has gone to the very very top. That's the only thing you need to know about OWS. George Soros, Kanye West (really?), Obama, GE, none of those things matter, that's not what it's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

This reminds me of people finding out I'm an environmentalist and asking me "what about Al Gore flying an airplane??" Who gives a gently caress about Al Gore, he doesn't represent me. I'm not responsible for the actions of everyone who pays lip service to an ideology sort of like mine.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Enjoy posted:

The executive of the modern state is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the bourgeoisie. Hence, all cops are bad.

Yeah but I have a cousin who is a police officer and he supports his family so there are good cops. Check and mate, OWS.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I'm Shaq in these posts. I can't really, just...

Granted my analogy in the last one isn't perfect, but trolling?

I've got months of this poo poo. It's the same guy from my post in this thread back a couple years ago. What the hell?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ha, hello facebook friend.

e: nevermind, mine uses a different Shaq picture.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Keshik posted:

The better response would have been that the OWS people never said they wanted the banks to fail. The issue is wealth inequality, not the existence of banks. They should never have needed to be bailed out because Glass-Steagall should have prevented it if it hadn't been gutted. But once they were on the verge of collapse no sane person would have wanted the entire thing to collapse. I don't like the business practices of pharm. companies, but it doesn't mean I oppose medicine.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Keshik posted:

I'm Shaq in these posts. I can't really, just...

I've got months of this poo poo. It's the same guy from my post in this thread back a couple years ago. What the hell?

I'm sort of confused. What political point does he think Mozilla and Google are making by...versioning their browsers?

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I have no idea, but literally everything is about politics for him. A mutual friend from high school announced her engagement and he made comment about gay marriage.

This person works for a 'nonpartisan' ultra-conservative organization and volunteers his time for a bunch of 'nonpartisan' ultra-conservative groups.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Its an arms race for the highest version numbers, clearly (major version numbers for minor changes over a short time span is pretty goofy though, maybe he's just mad at that and can't form an intelligent fb post about it)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Apparently they did some research and people were actually switching from FireFox to other browsers because the version number was going up way more slowly than Chrome, IE, etc and they assumed it was being updated less frequently.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This isn't an email. It was on a person I know's twitter feed.

'Obama has now assassinated more world leaders than any other Nobel Peace Prize Winner. #smh'

#smh is Shakes My Head, if any of you are unfamiliar. I just.. That post.

:negative:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

nucleicmaxid posted:

'Obama has now assassinated more world leaders than any other Nobel Peace Prize Winner. #smh'

Did you remind them of Kissinger?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

He's counting Osama Bin Laden isn't he?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

redmercer posted:

Did you remind them of Kissinger?

My reply was 'Uh, Kissinger? Rabin? Not only that, but he didn't have anything to do with Gaddafi who was killed by Libyans.'

XyloJW posted:

Apparently she is? Jesus Christ, I am friends with dumb people.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

XyloJW posted:

And Al-Zaquiri, because terrorist organizations are governmental bodies, apparently.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

Dear Obamaclause, for Christmas I would like:

1) My tuition paid for by the rich in Wall Street. After all, I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get an "Ivy League" education to get a horrible job and stay, well, not rich.

2) My car paid for by the rich in Wall Street. After all, it was their bailouts that forced me to get this sweet ride that I couldn't afford.

3) My house paid for by the rich in Wall Street. While it may have been Barney Frank and Chris Dodd who threatened banks with embarrassing accusations regarding equal rights being violated if they didn't offer me a subprime mortgage on a $500,000 house (when I could only afford a $150,000 one), it was the bank's fault for making me sign the mortgage contract.

4) Some of dat Obama Money.

:ughh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This reminds me of those stupid YouTube videos where somebody just loops one phrase constantly ("NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!") I kept thinking it was going to stop any second now. And it just keeps going. And going. And going.

That was Herman Cain at the debates.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

Whether that's strictly numerically accurate or not, this person makes a far better point than most of the dumb poo poo that friends/relatives are saying in this thread

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CaptBushido posted:

Whether that's strictly numerically accurate or not, this person makes a far better point than most of the dumb poo poo that friends/relatives are saying in this thread

Care to defend that?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Care to defend that?

Try as I might I can't think of a single world leader that Obama has assassinated. Bin Laden wasn't a world leader and Gaddafi was wounded by the French and then shot by the NTC. Are there any I'm missing?

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

Care to defend that?

Yeah, he has escalated the use of drone strike assassinations, in countries that we're not at war with, and against US citizens, all of which causes unjust death, destabilizes regions and is not at all indicative of what a leader in spreading world peace should do.

But yeah, the "world leaders" thing is kind of wonky. I think you COULD consider Bin Laden, An-Awlaki, and other AQ leaders 'world leaders', but it's a matter of debate. The point I think she was making was that he's a bad peacemaker, and his winning the Peace Prize is a little sad in retrospect.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CaptBushido posted:

Yeah, he has escalated the use of drone strike assassinations, in countries that we're not at war with, and against US citizens, all of which causes unjust death, destabilizes regions and is not at all indicative of what a leader in spreading world peace should do.

But yeah, the "world leaders" thing is kind of wonky. I think you COULD consider Bin Laden, An-Awlaki, and other AQ leaders 'world leaders', but it's a matter of debate. The point I think she was making was that he's a bad peacemaker, and his winning the Peace Prize is a little sad in retrospect.

That's kinda been the case for a long time with that prize. See Kissinger, Rabin, Arafat, etc.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like to think of it more as a prize awarded to America for not voting McCain in, but there's only one so they just gave it to the dude in charge.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
So my Stepdad just argued with me about how "Oblammy" isn't even gonna be able to run for President in 2012 because only one of his parents is a US Citizen and that you need both of your parents to be US Citizen to run for president. I tried to tell him what the actual qualifications were and he told me that I was wrong and that I should go look it up to see that he's right.

:sigh:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Your stepdad's way behind. Obama can't run because it turns out he had someone forge his signature on his application to be on the ballot in Indiana. I saw it on Fox News after someone linked it on Facebook. Obama stole the election!

[Indiana has 11 electoral votes. Obama won by nearly 200 electoral votes.]

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

So my Stepdad just argued with me about how "Oblammy" isn't even gonna be able to run for President in 2012 because only one of his parents is a US Citizen and that you need both of your parents to be US Citizen to run for president. I tried to tell him what the actual qualifications were and he told me that I was wrong and that I should go look it up to see that he's right.

It's ok my aunt is still a birther and called me today to talk about OWS

"this free speech thing is loving stupid" - my aunt 2011

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tomahawk posted:

Republicans are bold enough to vote down medicine for 9/11 first responders and sabotage hurricane relief to hurt Obama. If there was the slightest chance that Obama wasn't born in America, why hasn't anyone in the Republican Party pursued it?
I'll tell you why. It's because the Republican field, which includes a man who actually bragged about not knowing the names of the foreign leaders who he would work with as head of state, thinks that you are loving stupid.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ts12 posted:

It's ok my aunt is still a birther and called me today to talk about OWS

"this free speech thing is loving stupid" - my aunt 2011

So uhh... tell her to shut up?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Orange Devil posted:

So uhh... tell her to shut up?

Tell her you are reporting her to Obama's secret police for airing incorrect views.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Z-Magic posted:

Try as I might I can't think of a single world leader that Obama has assassinated. Bin Laden wasn't a world leader and Gaddafi was wounded by the French and then shot by the NTC. Are there any I'm missing?
Change it to "had more American citizens assassinated" and it should be correct.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like to think of it more as a prize awarded to America for not voting McCain in, but there's only one so they just gave it to the dude in charge.
Nobel Committee: Yo we are awarding you this prize for the accomplishment of being Not Bush

Obama: Thanks! *Does Bush Things*

Nobel Committee: poo poo

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

To be fair I don't know that anyone ever expected Obama to be a "lets completely dismantle the military" kind of President. But he's scaled back Iraq, working to end Afghanistan, and in my opinion handled Libya wonderfully. Under Bush we'd have the cowboy mentality that Marco Rubio was calling for: send in tons of troops months ago and Qaddafi would have been gone a long time ago. And we'd have troops stuck in Libya for years...

But I think everyone thinks that the Peace Prize was a bit premature, surely there were better options that year?

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
A girl I know works for the Heritage Foundation and Marco Rubio and just posted this on Facebook

quote:

Don't blame Republicans that they're "anti jobs" because they oppose stimulus 2.0 in the Senate when President Obama just created 500 manufacturing jobs in Finland.
The icing on the cake..."environmentally savvy" Al Gore is an investor.
http://lonelyconservative.com/2011/10/obama-admin-gave-500-million-loan-guarantee-to-green-car-company-that-opened-factory-in-finland/

This is 0.0001% of the federal budget for 2011. What the gently caress kind of petty bullshit is this and what is the point? Doesn't Finland have super high taxes too I thought all the businesses immediately flee countries they have to pay any taxes in

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

And the loving article undermines her entire argument:

quote:

Henrik Fisker said the U.S. money so far has been spent on engineering and design work that stayed in the U.S., not on the 500 manufacturing jobs that went to a rural Finnish firm, Valmet Automotive.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

quote:

Perspective is important. As compared to the top 1% in this country, the average American is poor. As compared to 99% of the global population, the average American is rich. In other words, many of our international neighbors might view OWS protests the way most of us would view a Kardashian protest outside Bill Gates’ house.

You can eat... what are you complaining about?! Let us rape your country and we'll make sure you have flat screen tv's and keep producing Big Bang Theory.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Change it to "had more American citizens assassinated" and it should be correct.

Nobel Committee: Yo we are awarding you this prize for the accomplishment of being Not Bush

Obama: Thanks! *Does Bush Things*

Nobel Committee: poo poo

But..but..*I'm* Not Bush. And I've stayed like that. Am I now more deserving of a Nobel Prize than Obama? Did Linus Pauling finally get the third Nobel he was so keen on?

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Sarion posted:

To be fair I don't know that anyone ever expected Obama to be a "lets completely dismantle the military" kind of President. But he's scaled back Iraq, working to end Afghanistan, and in my opinion handled Libya wonderfully. Under Bush we'd have the cowboy mentality that Marco Rubio was calling for: send in tons of troops months ago and Qaddafi would have been gone a long time ago. And we'd have troops stuck in Libya for years...

But I think everyone thinks that the Peace Prize was a bit premature, surely there were better options that year?

Iraq was already being scaled back during the end of Bush's term. But even though the expectation was complete withdrawal, Obama instead went with tens of of thousands of fortified 'advisers', intel and special OPs troops. Which is hardly a full withdrawal. Yes, American soldiers aren't patrolling the streets anymore, but it's still an occupied country. There are seriously tens of thousands of US servicemen and military contractors still there.

What is he doing to wind down Afghanistan? Troop numbers have been escalated there since he came in office...

Libya... eh, a lot of leftists have issue with the NATO bombing and intervention, but that was an international prerogative, so I don't particularly blame Obama or the US for that, so I'll give you that one.

EDIT:

To add actual commentary instead of just counterpoints: I think Obama thought he would be satisfying the anti-war sentiment of his party simply by scaling back troop involvement... while still waging the exact same war as Bush by drone strikes, subterfuge, and targeted raids. The problem is that not ALL of the outrage at the War on Terror was about troops being in harm's way, it was also about the violation of international law and treaties and general heavy-handedness of US military policy throughout the world. My point is just that Obama hasn't really backed down on any of that at all.

CaptBushido fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 21, 2011

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Probably just as you were posting that, it was announced that All troops will pull out of Iraq by year's end.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

myron_cope posted:

Probably just as you were posting that, it was announced that All troops will pull out of Iraq by year's end.

oh, well gat drat

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

myron_cope posted:

Ah, election season. When the president traditionally does what he said he'd do 3 years prior to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

XyloJW posted:

Ah, election season. When the president traditionally does what he said he'd do 3 years prior to that.

After my sigh of relief that it's finally more or less over, this was my second thought. How absolutely lovely that of all people, Obama has made me so cynical as to think our president would strategically time the end a war to coincide with a reelection campaign. God drat.