Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kasonic posted:

Well I just did this and I lost every single app. So.

:smithicide:

When it syncs after the restore it will put everything back where it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Orca
Aug 30, 2011

ReidStylez posted:

I don't have Winterboard installed.

I do have SBSettings. Is BBSettings better?

I think I had better battery life today. It's not horrible by any means I just run though it by the time I leave for work.

Everything I've read about SBSettings doesn't show any major battery loss while using it. You can actually use SBSchedule along with it and have it turn off 3G, Push notifications, Gps, etc.. at certain times when you won't be using it. So that would be one way of getting better battery life. You can also download an app like "Battery Doctor" and that'll do a full cycle charge for you as well as let you monitor how much much battery certain applications are using so you can see what is causing it.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Evil Orca posted:

You can actually use SBSchedule along with it and have it turn off 3G, Push notifications, Gps, etc..

Careful shutting off GPS, as I believe it will disable the ability to activate FindMyiPhone via iCloud.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
Isn't there a tweak for turning 3G off when not using data?

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE
I've got a 3GS with the 4.3.3 firmware that's already jailbroken, but I'm not quite sure how to finish unlocking it to run with my TMobile account - most of the guides I've found are for different versions or for iOS5. Should I just upgrade to 5 and re-do everything from there?

DJJustice fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 21, 2011

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

DJJustice posted:

I've got a 3GS with the 4.3.3 firmware that's already jailbroken, but I'm not quite sure how to finish unlocking it to run with my TMobile account - most of the guides I've found are for different versions or for iOS5. Should I just upgrade to 5 and re-do everything from there?

No, if you upgrade to 5, you'll upgrade your baseband, and you're hosed.

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE

UndyingShadow posted:

No, if you upgrade to 5, you'll upgrade your baseband, and you're hosed.

That's what I figured - I've got ultrasn0w 1.2.4 running, but after that I'm totally clueless.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DJJustice posted:

I've got ultrasn0w 1.2.4 running

then you should be unlocked unless your baseband version is already too high

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DJJustice posted:

That's what I figured - I've got ultrasn0w 1.2.4 running, but after that I'm totally clueless.

I don't know if you can do the same thing with the 3GS, but I just bought an iPhone 4 that was still running the unlockable baseband 1.59 (never updated past iOS 4.0). I was able to build a custom ipsw using redsn0w to update to iOS 5 without loosing my baseband. I'm currently jailbroken (tethered) and unlocked with ultrasn0w and using a pre-paid T-mobile SIM.

<edit> Your baseband might already be hosed. Was 4.3.3 the update that did it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

check settings > general > about and look at "modem firmware" for your baseband version and then google from there

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE

Oneiros posted:

I don't know if you can do the same thing with the 3GS, but I just bought an iPhone 4 that was still running the unlockable baseband 1.59 (never updated past iOS 4.0). I was able to build a custom ipsw using redsn0w to update to iOS 5 without loosing my baseband. I'm currently jailbroken (tethered) and unlocked with ultrasn0w and using a pre-paid T-mobile SIM.

<edit> Your baseband might already be hosed. Was 4.3.3 the update that did it?

Not sure, I've only used the jailbroken iPhone as an mp3 player for the last 4 months or so and haven't updated anything. It's currently connected to wifi but where it would say the network connection is just at "Searching".

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE

mewse posted:

check settings > general > about and look at "modem firmware" for your baseband version and then google from there

Got it, following a guide to do 05.16.02 unlock now. Thanks

Edit* Alright, entered DFU mode with PwnageTool, and then opened redsn0w 0.9.6rc.16, but when I select the only .ipsw file on my computer it says that it's unable to recognize the specified IPSW. I am currently mystified as to why.

DJJustice fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 21, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so I just got back from my honeymoon this afternoon. My 4S is waiting to be unboxed, and I need to prep my iPhone 4 for sale. It's 4.3.3 jailbroken. I want to know the best way to wipe it. I know it involves restoring and TinyUmbrella, but either through vagueness, jet lag or my general ignorance, I'm not making the connections. Anyone walk me through it (or point me to a very step by step guide?) :)

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
Ugh.. after reading through this thread since iOS 5 was released, I have had ideas running through my head of what I want to do with my phone now. I'm running an untethered jailbreak on 4.3.3 on my iPhone 4. I really want to upgrade to iOS 5 for some reason, but it seems there is no untethered jailbreak for it yet, and although many sources say it's in the works, nobody can give a definitive 100% yes or no or date. I know the jailbreaking community is working hard to get everything compatible with the new iOS, but it takes time of course. Any suggestions from anyone in a similar boat? Should I just wait it out (probably a few more weeks till most of the kinks are ironed out and an untethered jailbreak is released hopefully)? Should I just clean restore my phone, install iOS 5 and play with it until the jailbreak is released? I am contemplating giving my phone a major clean-up anyway regardless, getting rid of a bunch of apps I don't use, newer apps that seem cool, etc.

What is everyone with jailbroken 4.3.x iPhone 4's (not 4S) doing that plan on switching over to iOS 5 or have done so already?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In trying to restore 4.3.3 (I have 4.3.3 Jailbroken, with all my data) I got the 1013 error and I tried to go into DFU in Tinyumbrella and kick it or fix it. It goes whitescreen then tells me about a couple missing greenpoison files or something.

I just want to keep it 4.3.3 but get it in a wiped/saleable condition. Anyone know what I should do at this point?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Ugh..
Why are you asking us to make a decision for you? Weigh how much you use your jailbreak vs. how interesting the new features of iOS5 sound to you. Don't just update to iOS5 because you're jonesing for something different though. You'll quickly be underwhelmed by the differences.

Personally I'm sticking with my jailbroken iOS4 until I'm eligible for upgrade in November then I'll get a 4S and the whole experience will seem fresh with iOS5.

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why are you asking us to make a decision for you? Weigh how much you use your jailbreak vs. how interesting the new features of iOS5 sound to you. Don't just update to iOS5 because you're jonesing for something different though. You'll quickly be underwhelmed by the differences.

Personally I'm sticking with my jailbroken iOS4 until I'm eligible for upgrade in November then I'll get a 4S and the whole experience will seem fresh with iOS5.

I am not asking for anyone to make a decision for me. I just wanted to see what people in my situation were doing or have done. So you really like the 4S that much that you are going to upgrade to it? No jailbreak out for it all yet, or is that of no concern to you at the moment? Just curious. I personally don't like the 4S.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Why wouldn't you like the 4S? Also I'm eligible for upgrade so I can get a new 4S for $200 and sell my old 4 for $300 and make $100 and get an awesome new phone in the process.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've been googling and attempting things and I've gotten to where I can't get it out of recovery mode. I'd happily just start with how I can fix that. I have TinyUmbrella. I followed instructions I found, but it doesn't seem to work...

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why wouldn't you like the 4S? Also I'm eligible for upgrade so I can get a new 4S for $200 and sell my old 4 for $300 and make $100 and get an awesome new phone in the process.

I just don't for some reason. But poo poo, if you got the upgrade and can make money doing it, then that is sweet. I just used my upgrade for my 4 last year, so I am saving my next upgrade for the 5.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

I just don't for some reason. But poo poo, if you got the upgrade and can make money doing it, then that is sweet. I just used my upgrade for my 4 last year, so I am saving my next upgrade for the 5.
Check your eligibility (dial *new# on your phone). Depending on how much you pay per month and if you make your payments on time your eligibility will be shortened to somewhere between 1 and 2 years. I also used my upgrade on the 4 on launch and am eligible again in November.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Please disregard all my past posts today. I got it sorted with the help of Redsnow.:)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Has anyone hacked AIrplay Mirroring onto the iPhone 4?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone else's Notification Center gone completely blank?

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

I am not asking for anyone to make a decision for me. I just wanted to see what people in my situation were doing or have done. So you really like the 4S that much that you are going to upgrade to it? No jailbreak out for it all yet, or is that of no concern to you at the moment? Just curious. I personally don't like the 4S.
I had a jailbroken iPhone4 on 4.3.1 for the longest time. Upgraded to the base 4.3.3 a week or two before 5.0 came out. Updated to 5.0, used that for a while. Decided I wanted BiteSMS and SBSettings back, so I jailbroke 5.0. I personally am of the mindset that a untethered jailbreak isn't that huge of a thing (to me). If for some reason my phone has to restart in the middle of the day, I can manage just fine without the few jailbroken features I use until I get home.

I think BiteSMS is still technically a beta, but it works fine. SBSettings is compatible with 5.0, so it works fine. I haven't noticed any excess battery drain or anything along those lines.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Latest version of LockInfo includes partial support for Notification Center widgets, which means BBSettings can show up on your lockscreen.

It isn't perfect yet; you can't collapse or even removes something if it's an NC widget, and they don't follow the main LI theme, but you can reorder them. Looks promising. If LockInfo comes up with a NC theme and fixes those issues it might save itself from being replaced by a jailbreak app that allows custom NC widgets.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Voodoo posted:

I had a jailbroken iPhone4 on 4.3.1 for the longest time. Upgraded to the base 4.3.3 a week or two before 5.0 came out. Updated to 5.0, used that for a while. Decided I wanted BiteSMS and SBSettings back, so I jailbroke 5.0. I personally am of the mindset that a untethered jailbreak isn't that huge of a thing (to me). If for some reason my phone has to restart in the middle of the day, I can manage just fine without the few jailbroken features I use until I get home.

I think BiteSMS is still technically a beta, but it works fine. SBSettings is compatible with 5.0, so it works fine. I haven't noticed any excess battery drain or anything along those lines.

I'm just curious, why is SBSettings so important for you (and fellow jail breakers)? When I do jailbreak, I do install SBSettings, but I can't say I exactly miss it when I'm unbroken. Very rarely do I need quick access to 3G/Wifi/GPS toggles.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Corbet posted:

I'm just curious, why is SBSettings so important for you (and fellow jail breakers)? When I do jailbreak, I do install SBSettings, but I can't say I exactly miss it when I'm unbroken. Very rarely do I need quick access to 3G/Wifi/GPS toggles.
I like it for the quick brightness settings, and the ability to quickly see what's running and close if it I want.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Corbet posted:

90% brightness settings, 9% wifi on/off 1% the other toggles.

Dr. Goodsex
Sep 19, 2010

Notres langues nous trompent.
I've been sifting through this thread for awhile now as to not be talking out of my rear end. With that said, is there anything beyond their Twitters to hear about the 4S JB progress? Can't wait, really :p

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Goodsex posted:

I've been sifting through this thread for awhile now as to not be talking out of my rear end. With that said, is there anything beyond their Twitters to hear about the 4S JB progress? Can't wait, really :p

this thread will explode and most recent news is always posted on the iphone dev team blog

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Corbet posted:

I always use it to power off, I find holding down the power button annoying.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The big thing I used it for was wifi toggling. My home internet is poo poo, and strangled by SAB on top of that, so I elect to use 3G most of the time. Being able to quickly turn it back on to connect to local servers is a big help. Even on the 4S, it takes too drat long to go into settings > wifi.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fozaldo posted:

I always use it to power off, I find holding down the power button annoying.

This and the respring button. I don't think there's any other way to respring, which is important if you're on a tethered jailbreak.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

EC posted:

The big thing I used it for was wifi toggling. My home internet is poo poo, and strangled by SAB on top of that, so I elect to use 3G most of the time. Being able to quickly turn it back on to connect to local servers is a big help. Even on the 4S, it takes too drat long to go into settings > wifi.

Wifi toggle is definitely the biggest thing for me, especially right now. I just moved and don't have any Internet at my new place yet, but I still use my wifi network to host my media server that feeds into my TV, and my iPhone is my remote. I need to switch to wifi to serve up media to my TV, but if I want Internet access I need to switch back to 3G. I'm doing it a lot.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

Corbet posted:

Personally, I use it mostly for airplane mode. Where I live, there's no cellular service in the subway tunnels and I'm down there for almost 2 hours a day. That's a lot of battery life saved by switching to airplane mode to keep your phone from hunting for signal.

quote:

This and the respring button. I don't think there's any other way to respring, which is important if you're on a tethered jailbreak.

There's always exploiting the bug that lets you move Newsstand into a folder, and then trying to launch it from within a folder. That crashes the Springboard. :v:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Corbet posted:

I like to easily be able to disable WiFi/3G/Push when my phone is running low.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Voodoo posted:

I personally am of the mindset that a untethered jailbreak isn't that huge of a thing (to me). If for some reason my phone has to restart in the middle of the day, I can manage just fine without the few jailbroken features I use until I get home.

Wait a second, I thought that a phone with a tethered jailbreak won't boot at all until it's connected to a computer running the proper software. Am I wrong? Will it boot normally just with the jailbreak disabled?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ganguro King posted:

Wait a second, I thought that a phone with a tethered jailbreak won't boot at all until it's connected to a computer running the proper software. Am I wrong? Will it boot normally just with the jailbreak disabled?

It will boot but it will talk like a fag and it's poo poo will be all retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
But it'll have electrolytes, it's what iPhones crave.

• Locked thread