Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenji
Oct 12, 2009

Internet Cliche posted:

A new year's coming up. Anyone crazy over a certain style of day planner/journal?

I've been craazy over Moleskins for a while now. Here's a link to their cat-journal video. http://www.youtube.com/user/moleskineart?blend=23&ob=5#p/u/7/SOHDrpJ6ODs - Obviously, they have a range of regular people journals too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

I'm looking for a small pocket knife that I could use while camping or to open boxes and jewel cases without looking like a nimrod.

Before anyone recommends Spyderco, I'm looking for something a little more traditional looking.

Any good brands or specific knives any of you would recommend?

Victorinox Pioneer/Soldier:

Or an Opinel No.8/7/6 depending on how long you want your blade to be:

Both knives are a bargain for the quality you get.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

bronin posted:

Victorinox Pioneer/Soldier:

I have this. Bronin knows what he's talking about. It was a very loyal, good knife to me until I upgraded to a Leatherman super tool, which I imagine may be a bit larger than you might like.

The Victorinox is great though, and it helps that the grip part is made of aluminium(?) because it feels so much more solid than the normal plastic ones you can get.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Any recommendations for a decent collapsible umbrella? My old London Fog umbrella finally gave up the ghost yesterday after several years and I'm in the market.

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies
I want a whole house humidifier, one of the ones that sits on the floor. Most of the ones I've found get bad reviews. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

I'm looking for a small pocket knife that I could use while camping or to open boxes and jewel cases without looking like a nimrod.

Before anyone recommends Spyderco, I'm looking for something a little more traditional looking.

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-D-BKWH-Quick-Change-Folding-Utility/dp/B000G7TLQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1319226894&sr=1-1

Dirt cheap and you can just throw in a new blade whenever it starts to get dull.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

Buck makes a keychain knife with a bright white LED and a 1" blade and it's the handiest thing ever. Just remember to check your keys when flying.

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Any recommendations for a light jacket for fall? Preferably from amazon, though that is not a big deal. Looking for a casual jacket, but not something like a Puma/Adidas/etc jacket. I'd like to spend under $100, but can go up to $200. Many thanks. I wear about a medium.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone know of a streamlined middleman service that ships stuff from US-only online stores to you? I've used Games for Canada before, but it's amateurish and kind of annoying to fill out orders and all that.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of a streamlined middleman service that ships stuff from US-only online stores to you? I've used Games for Canada before, but it's amateurish and kind of annoying to fill out orders and all that.

Shipito.com.

Works great. I've only used it once though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I might be in the market for a new pet fountain pretty soon and I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

My current fountain is the Drinkwell Big Dog. It works fine, but as it ages it's becoming more and more likely to leak from around the motor when I put it back together after cleaning. Also it's got some pretty nasty rings around the basin that will NOT come out. I'm just wondering if there are better options for when I need to replace it.

I have one largeish dog and three cats. If I get a new fountain, I'd like it to hold a lot of water and be easy to clean. Also my pets tend to dribble a lot of God-knows-what from God-knows-where into the basin (seriously don't know where it comes from. It's not even like they have food sitting out right there), so an efficient filter would be nice, too.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Patman posted:

Any recommendations for a light jacket for fall? Preferably from amazon, though that is not a big deal. Looking for a casual jacket, but not something like a Puma/Adidas/etc jacket. I'd like to spend under $100, but can go up to $200. Many thanks. I wear about a medium.

http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Tj513-Storm-Softshell-Jacket/dp/B004SWJEEY

I have this in brown and I love it. Incredibly warm, keeps the wind out and its water resistant to boot.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Dudebro posted:

If you are in the military you can try http://www.apobox.com/. It gives you a state side address that you can use for any type of online shopping or as a second address for bills and such. The only down side is the second shipping cost that the site charges you.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
^^^^^^^
Sorry, not in the military.

Prathm posted:

Shipito.com.

Works great. I've only used it once though.

Thanks. Looks really professional, but can be pricey I think. Might be paying $15 on top of something so I'll have to buy a bunch of stuff at once. But this site is pretty much what I'm looking for and I don't think there's a better alternative out there.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
A black hole swallowed my sunglasses while I slept, so I'm looking for a new pair. I need them for driving under the hot and bright Mexican sun. My last pair where some Fossil sunglasses with green tinted glasses, but they weren't very effective. Which ones should I get, under $150??

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies

Cacahuate posted:

A black hole swallowed my sunglasses while I slept, so I'm looking for a new pair. I need them for driving under the hot and bright Mexican sun. My last pair where some Fossil sunglasses with green tinted glasses, but they weren't very effective. Which ones should I get, under $150??

If you have a smallish head, get Native Attacks - nice dark lenses, comfortable fit, rugged. Not all that stylish though if that's something you care about.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Cacahuate posted:

Try to find Serengetis on sale. You can get last-season models for really good prices, I got a pair of 140€ glasses for 80€. They'll be the best drat pair of shades you've ever worn.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Cacahuate posted:

Anything in the Maui Jim sports line. You can get them for $150, they are polarized and pretty much the best bang for your buck as far as lens quality goes. Can't recommend these enough.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I think what you really need is some way to keep those pesky black holes away from your sunglasses while you sleep... :ohdear:

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Dattserberg posted:

Anything in the Maui Jim sports line. You can get them for $150, they are polarized and pretty much the best bang for your buck as far as lens quality goes. Can't recommend these enough.

Agreed, I have a pair and they're great.

King Nothing has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Oct 23, 2011

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

cannonballs posted:

Looking for recommendations for the following:
-Inexpensive (less than $50) women's leather gloves for the winter. Warmth/comfort supersedes cuteness.

-a US-to-UK power converter/adapter...the reason I'm asking for goon recommendations is because the last time I used the one I currently have, I managed to burn a chunk of my hair with my flatiron (due to it being only an adapter, not a converter). So I'd really like to avoid any undue hair-loss this time around.

Asking again, for shits and giggles...

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
can anyone recommend a good humidifier for a large room? the static electricty is driving me nuts!

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Thanks to whoever recommended the Sodastream, it is my new favorite toy. :iia:

orenji
Oct 12, 2009
That might have been me. It's awesome eh? I thought it would be a hairbrained toy that I would hardly look at, but we use it every single day (and now have a collection of over 15 syrups)!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I need some wireless speakers for my apartment so I can throw a playlist up on my computer in my room but have my speakers in the living room during parties and such. They don't have to be super loud (these aren't dance parties) but I'd like them to fill a 20'x20' room with good noise. My budget is under $100.

I found these on Amazon:

But I would like some recs if anyone has suggestions! :allears:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Try to find Serengetis on sale. You can get last-season models for really good prices, I got a pair of 140€ glasses for 80€. They'll be the best drat pair of shades you've ever worn.

Yep. I got a pair of a discontinued style (Vedi w/ 555nm lenses) for a song on eBay this spring. The performance is amazing, and they're comfy.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
What car GPS should I get? I'm in brisbane, aus, and I want to be able to update maps etc. I don't know much about GPS systems or features or what is important in deciding.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Can anyone recommend a white noise machine? Now that the AC is gone I can hear everything that happens in this building, including the bathroom. :smith:

e: Even better if it has an alarm clock on it, but one without is fine.

Wandering Knitter has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Nov 1, 2011

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Thermal undergarments because michigan is preparing to freeze my balls off :iceburn:

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Wandering Knitter posted:

Can anyone recommend a white noise machine? Now that the AC is gone I can hear everything that happens in this building, including the bathroom. :smith:

e: Even better if it has an alarm clock on it, but one without is fine.

I have a Marpac Sound Screen Sleep Conditioner and LOVE it. It makes noise by way of an internal fan and adjustable openings, so it can make everything from a quiet "whrrrr" on the lowest setting with the openings dialed down to a very loud roar when it's going full speed. $50 may seem like a lot but this thing is very well built and I've used mine every night for two or three years now and it's still going strong.

I also highly recommend getting some Melatonin if you ever have any issue falling asleep. It won't cure hard core insomnia, but it helps me fall asleep quickly, instead of my mind running around in circles until I'm too exhausted to stay awake anymore.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I turn my radio to where there's no station and just play the static. Cheap as hell and you don't get any fancy settings or bird noises or whatever, but it works.

Also, my brother is a truck driver and will vouch for the effectiveness of melatonin.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Melatonin is great, I find. I used to have problems falling asleep before 2 AM or so, but I pop a 1 mg pill at 9 and my eyes are fluttering closed by 11.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Can someone recommend a white noise machine? My wife and I always fall asleep with a fan on but we're looking to uhh... "upgrade".

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Misanthrope posted:

Can someone recommend a white noise machine? My wife and I always fall asleep with a fan on but we're looking to uhh... "upgrade".

If you have a computer in the room or can hook a laptop up to some speakers, I've had great success with https://www.simplynoise.com. Getting a separate machine for white noise always seemed like a waste to me.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Misanthrope posted:

There was a post on this very page!

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I have a Marpac Sound Screen Sleep Conditioner and LOVE it. It makes noise by way of an internal fan and adjustable openings, so it can make everything from a quiet "whrrrr" on the lowest setting with the openings dialed down to a very loud roar when it's going full speed. $50 may seem like a lot but this thing is very well built and I've used mine every night for two or three years now and it's still going strong.

I also highly recommend getting some Melatonin if you ever have any issue falling asleep. It won't cure hard core insomnia, but it helps me fall asleep quickly, instead of my mind running around in circles until I'm too exhausted to stay awake anymore.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Holy crap, I just tried this stuff last night and it worked like a loving charm. Thank you so loving much!

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

MrGreenShirt posted:

Holy crap, I just tried this stuff last night and it worked like a loving charm. Thank you so loving much!

How did this affect your dreams?

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How easy is Melatonin to buy in the UK? I had a rummage round a Tesco's Extra there and couldn't find any, nor in a local pharmacy. Do Boots or anywhere like that do it or would I be better off just buying offline? Cheers fellas.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Melatonin tends to be in with "natural remedies", and may or may not have a brand name label where you'd have to check the ingredients or whatever to see what's in there.

If you can't get a hold of Melatonin then Valerian Root works pretty well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

The Aphasian posted:

How did this affect your dreams?

First off, I laughed out loud when I saw your avatar after reading your post. Secondly, I don't know, it's weird. I took 1mg at 10pm and I was out by midnight (I'm usually one of those guys who falls asleep after 2am) and I remember having some dreams near the end of the night (I still woke up a few times throughout the night, no big) but everything from midnight to around 5-6am is blank space, dream-wise. The dreams I did have were fairly unremarkable.

Why do you ask?

• Locked thread