Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

900ftjesus posted:

Stop posting in this thread. For serious.

Sure thing, I will. But I'm just curious, what about the quoted message was so bad? Anyway, I hope I'll see y'all again if I get Sprint service again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Teflon Bob posted:

I love my Incipio Feather case. It isn't listed as Nexus S 4G compatible but there are no function issues (power button isn't centered in cut out but works 100%).

http://www.myincipio.com/Google-Nexus-S-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-Samsung-Google-Nexus-S-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case.asp

I would buy the same case again even after seeing the other cases my co workers came up with for their Nexus'.

Thanks for confirming that this case will work. I really wanted this case and I'm glad to hear I can order it.

This phone is so thin and sleek that I can't imagine wrapping it in an Otterbox (or other similar case) and ruining just how great it looks.

Got a recommendation for a screen protector?

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
I've had a Zagg protector on mine for a while and it seems to do the trick. The Zagg texture is kind of a love it or hate it thing, so it helps if you have handled one before.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

nate fisher posted:

https://twitter.com/androidandme/status/127472988848259074

A rumor but a good sign for Sprint and the Nexus Prime?

I hope this is ok to post since just a rumor.

It isn't. I'm sorry but you'll have to be banned now.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

nate fisher posted:

:negative: don't stop believ'n

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
So...how do you update your Data Profile/PRL with the iPhone or is it something I shouldn't worry about.

Also Sprint's network has gotten better in my area since I went from 2-3 bars in my house to a solid 4-5 I just wish they could get building penetration at work. :(

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I'm using an Android ROM that doesn't have an easy way to update the PRL. Calling Sprint was enough, they can just initiate the update from their end. No reason it wouldn't work on the iPhone as well, since it should pull it down after a reboot when the phone provisions.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Ok, here's a weird one. Lost phones get their ESN blacklisted, right? I found an EVO in my parent's yard today. Its not theirs, and its not any of the neighbors. It had some water in it, and I've got it sitting in a ziploc full of rice right now. I'll see if it turns on later, but if it does, can I even activate it on my account? Is there any way for me to get it back to who it belongs to? I haven't bothered to look at the SD card, with my luck it'll be full of pics of dongs.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

vwman18 posted:

Ok, here's a weird one. Lost phones get their ESN blacklisted, right? I found an EVO in my parent's yard today. Its not theirs, and its not any of the neighbors. It had some water in it, and I've got it sitting in a ziploc full of rice right now. I'll see if it turns on later, but if it does, can I even activate it on my account? Is there any way for me to get it back to who it belongs to? I haven't bothered to look at the SD card, with my luck it'll be full of pics of dongs.

It'll almost certainly be reported as lost, so no chance of activating it. As for returning it, unless it's locked, you'll still have access to the contact list, so you could start out by checking for listed family members (mom, dad, etc) or check the call log for the most contacted person. Some of those people should be able to help. I'm not positive, but holding down the 1 button in the dialer may try to call voicemail even without service so you should be able to get the number of the owner, which you could either try calling, or give to whoever you call from the contact list.

edit: or I guess you could be a jerk, flash it to a different carrier (don't remember which ones work; Boost maybe?) and sell it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I've got a friend with a EVO 4G he bought at Best Buy last February. The USB port has stopped charging. He says he paid for a warranty for the first time in his life, but Best Buy is giving him a runaround since he's using an aftermarket battery. He can't find the stock battery so they say it will take several months to fix.

What can he do? I've told him that the USB port on the EVO 4G dying is a known issue and that he should take it to a Sprint repair center. Should I repeat that to him?

EDIT: Oh, and another friend who claims he got a robocall from Sprint saying his plan was being discontinued and replaced with another. After some prying I think the call may have been referring to the recent changes in TEP et al, does that sound more likely? I told him to call *2 and ask for details.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 22, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

powderific posted:

Whaaat. I'm close to midtown Omaha and over the past two days I consistently got speeds much slower than you. What part of midtwon are you in? I ran tests downtown, around 38th and california, and in the Sprint store on 72nd and Dodge. Also ran the ##UPDATE# thing multiple times throughout with no improvement. My speeds only got to the slowest of your tests maybe two or three times over the 20+ times I tested it over the last couple days. I even tried doing it around 1:00 AM and got similar results (bout .1 to .16 mbps). If I'd been consistently getting your speeds I probably wouldn't have switched. Oh well.

I've got identical sets of tests for pretty much any time of day between 8:00am and 1:00am.

Also--hook your number up to google voice. It's amazing with Sprint and is the thing I'm going to miss most on ATT. I didn't notice any downside whatsover with the direct integration.

Around 42nd/Leavenworth, I keep forgetting to post test results from elsewhere in town though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"Lovie Unsmith" posted:

So I've got a friend with a EVO 4G he bought at Best Buy last February. The USB port has stopped charging. He says he paid for a warranty for the first time in his life, but Best Buy is giving him a runaround since he's using an aftermarket battery. He can't find the stock battery so they say it will take several months to fix.

What can he do? I've told him that the USB port on the EVO 4G dying is a known issue and that he should take it to a Sprint repair center. Should I repeat that to him?

EDIT: Oh, and another friend who claims he got a robocall from Sprint saying his plan was being discontinued and replaced with another. After some prying I think the call may have been referring to the recent changes in TEP et al, does that sound more likely? I told him to call *2 and ask for details.

Have him take it to a sprint repair center and they will order an exchange at no cost. Known issues are an exception from the $35 fee.

And in my opinion, he should drop best buy black tie protection and get sprint insurance if he wants a protection plan. I still say the stupidness of best buy policies more than makes up for the no deductable with their plans.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I hope this is ok to post since just a rumor.

Just fine, it's the doomsday bullshit/blatant misinformation that needs to stop.

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.
This iphone's battery life is as sad as my hero's. Even with notifications/locations/push turned off I'm getting less than a day with moderate usage.

But at least the iOS runs more smoothly than my android. :smith:

It seems to be a common complaint. So is it reasonable to expect things to get better with some sort of software update? Or would it be safer to expect(assuming I even keep the iphone) to have a barely usable phone by the end of my contract?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My mom, who was initially against the idea of getting an iPhone because "don't I still have to pay $200 for it?" sent me a text message yesterday asking me to order her the 32GB model. :psyduck:

I imagine it's because the 16GB is out of stock, but still, surprised the heck out of me. I'm glad, though, because she's in a different state and has friends with iPhones who can show her how to use it, so I'm off the hook for support!

Also, my dad says he wants a new phone. He wants a simple flip phone...no touch screen, no keyboards, just the most basic phone he can get. Does Sprint even still make phones like that? He's currently using some old Samsung flip phone that was literally the cheapest phone Sprint had when we signed up.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Did the Evo 3d ever get an unalpha version of CM7?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

brc64 posted:

Also, my dad says he wants a new phone. He wants a simple flip phone...no touch screen, no keyboards, just the most basic phone he can get.

Sanyo Vero?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Duckman2008 posted:

Have him take it to a sprint repair center and they will order an exchange at no cost. Known issues are an exception from the $35 fee.

And in my opinion, he should drop best buy black tie protection and get sprint insurance if he wants a protection plan. I still say the stupidness of best buy policies more than makes up for the no deductable with their plans.

Well they charged him the $35, but he's getting a replacement.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

TLG James posted:

Nope, I believe there have only been three releases so far and they've all been considered alphas and I haven't heard much since then (it's been about a month since the last release.)

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the horribly immature XDA community caused the relevant parties to become disinterested in working on it right now. The CM7 thread on there is full of bad things.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Have him take it to a sprint repair center and they will order an exchange at no cost. Known issues are an exception exemption from the $35 fee.
Is this a recent policy change since they initiated the $35 fee? I can't find it on the Equipment Service and Repair Program brochure.

You might want to add these to the OP. Should help people differentiate between issues covered by the in-store repair and replacement program vs. the Assurion insurance program with a $50/$100 deductible. You might be able to save yourself $3-4/month and only carry one of the 2 programs bundled as $8 TEP.
ESRP brochure
ERP brochure

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 22, 2011

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Pretty sure I'll have a stable version of CM7 on my touchpad before I have it on my 3D. :negative:

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
No custom rom (that isn't based on the stock rom) has had any luck getting wimax to work. Bluetooth kinda works on CM7 but I couldn't change songs in the car. Staying with a cleaned up sense rom for the foreseeable future. Once sprint has good lte coverage I'll probably sell the 3D for that new nexus.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

blargle posted:

No custom rom (that isn't based on the stock rom) has had any luck getting wimax to work.

Does wimax have any redeeming qualities? Let me see if I have this straight, it has poor building penetration so it is basically useless if you are indoors (and also useless outdoor because cell phone screens are unreadable in sunlight), it is slower than every other network's 4G technology (even ATT/T-mobile's that shouldn't even technically be called 4G), it ruins your battery life, and on top of that it is apparently impossible to get it working on custom ROMs.

I actually live in a city with wimax. However, I can't even use it because drat near nowhere in the city gets a useable connection indoors. Hell, even the sprint store down the street form my house doesn't get a useable wimax signal. It would be comically bad if I wasn't paying $120 per year for the "privilege". Thank goodness I get a decent 3G signal most places.

I really can not fathom what Sprint was thinking when they decided on this for their 4G network. Thank goodness they didn't double down on stupid and will instea be switching to LTE in the near future. Good riddance.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Wimax has nothing to do with building penetration. Sprint runs Wimax on 2500Mhz frequency which is why it's poor. Higher frequencies have worse building penetration.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
I hope it was obvious that I was referring to Sprint's 2500mhz Wimax. That still doesn't change my point "what were they thinking?"

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I live/work near NYC in a big 4G zone, and get 20 MBit+ inside the house, so I love wimax.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

tomguycot posted:

I hope it was obvious that I was referring to Sprint's 2500mhz Wimax. That still doesn't change my point "what were they thinking?"

It's very simple what they were thinking. Sprint partnered with Clearwire to use their existing WiMAX network so they would not have to build their own. Plus they were able to get 4G to market before the other 3 carriers. WiMAX obviously has its flaws, especially how it's been implemented, compared to Verizon's LTE, but Sprint wanted to get 4G first and on the cheap, and it worked. They have a shot at pulling it off because of how easy it will be to convert their WiMAX network to LTE and they plan on using 800 and 1900 MHz to do it. It's still a gamble, but it's not like they're permanently screwed with using inferior technology.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Update for that subsidized iPhone apple.com malformed store ID hack link from a few pages back... It worked! FedEx tracking shows my phone just shipped from Shenzen, CN.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

td4guy posted:

Update for that subsidized iPhone apple.com malformed store ID hack link from a few pages back... It worked! FedEx tracking shows my phone just shipped from Shenzen, CN.

I still don't get it. What's so special about the phones some people got from that link?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

tomguycot posted:

Does wimax have any redeeming qualities? Let me see if I have this straight, it has poor building penetration so it is basically useless if you are indoors (and also useless outdoor because cell phone screens are unreadable in sunlight), it is slower than every other network's 4G technology (even ATT/T-mobile's that shouldn't even technically be called 4G), it ruins your battery life, and on top of that it is apparently impossible to get it working on custom ROMs.

I actually live in a city with wimax. However, I can't even use it because drat near nowhere in the city gets a useable connection indoors. Hell, even the sprint store down the street form my house doesn't get a useable wimax signal. It would be comically bad if I wasn't paying $120 per year for the "privilege". Thank goodness I get a decent 3G signal most places.

I really can not fathom what Sprint was thinking when they decided on this for their 4G network. Thank goodness they didn't double down on stupid and will instea be switching to LTE in the near future. Good riddance.

To elaborate, when Sprint picked WiMax there wasn't yet cheap LTE equipment available so they took a gamble and deployed WiMax (which was available) in an effort to win marketing points. IMHO they knew it was a bad move within a year or two and the point of combining with ClearWire was to foist some of the built-out costs of a worthless network onto the investors in Clear. Part of this was driven by the fact that the 2.5 Ghz licenses are actually owned by educational institutions and non-profits but the FCC let them re-sell their frequencies on condition that the buyer deploy wireless broadband within a 5-year timeframe or lose the licenses, so Sprint had a "play or pay" thing going on there too.

Also if you realize that radio waves are the same thing as light, then think about how some objects are invisible, translucent, and opaque to your eyes it becomes obvious why 2.5Ghz sucks... most solid objects are opaque at 2.5 Ghz (or only slightly translucent). By comparison most buildings look like smokey glass to 800Mhz (thus much better building penetration).

letsgoflyers81 posted:

It's very simple what they were thinking. Sprint partnered with Clearwire to use their existing WiMAX network so they would not have to build their own. Plus they were able to get 4G to market before the other 3 carriers. WiMAX obviously has its flaws, especially how it's been implemented, compared to Verizon's LTE, but Sprint wanted to get 4G first and on the cheap, and it worked. They have a shot at pulling it off because of how easy it will be to convert their WiMAX network to LTE and they plan on using 800 and 1900 MHz to do it. It's still a gamble, but it's not like they're permanently screwed with using inferior technology.

Wrong; "Network Vision" is about Sprint admitting several things:

1) You can't pay Clear for carrying traffic and be profitable. You need to own your towers to control costs.
2) The WiMax equipment already deployed is useless because it is the same old-school tech and frequency-specific stuff so even the parts of the WiMax network that Sprint owns are useless.
3) They need flexibility to help them offset capex costs.

Network Vision is basically going around to each of the Sprint tower locations and replacing all the racks of separate equipment with a smaller modern cabinet that supports drop-in cards to support any technology Sprint wants to deploy on any frequency they want (using software radios). IIRC they can literally just flip a software switch and turn on LTE at 2.5Ghz or 1.9Ghz.

This is also why they can do the Lightsquared deal - they don't have to go out and (yet again) slap another power-hungry cabinet on the pad that supports 1.6Ghz LTE (the Lightsquared frequencies). They can just flip some software switches and start billing for it.

Sprint stated flat out that WiMax coverage will *not* be increasing. They expect to have LTE reach WiMax coverage parity in 2012 and more than double it and have parity with (or exceed) their 3G coverage end of 2013.

The effort is also involving a huge fiber roll-out to the tower locations to upgrade backhaul. The new equipment eats less power so is cheaper to operate, and the new system will allow for wider coverage from some towers so it will let them shutdown some older tower locations and save money on the tower leases. Ironically ATT Wholesale bid on and won a bunch of the backhaul contracts and is wiring up fiber to Sprint towers right now. Cable companies also bid and picked up a bunch so in rural areas you are likely to see TimeWarner or Comcast carrying Sprint's traffic, at least to Sprint's own fiber backbones. Last I heard, 1/3 of these contracts were done or nearing completion, the next 1/3 have been bid out and started, and the last 1/3 were getting ready to bid. Rumor is that it is an all-fiber build, no microwave or other choke points so each tower should have some steamy gigabit or better fiber action.

The first phase will include PTT on CDMA (which is rolling out to customers right now) so they can finally force all the Nextel people off iDEN, as well as rolling out LTE on 1.9Ghz and continuing to support WiMax on 2.5Ghz.

Once iDEN is shut off in 2013 they plan on converting those frequencies to LTE. I presume the towers will use hand-off to put the phones deep in buildings onto 800Mhz and let people driving or near outside walls ride on 1900Mhz, but it's all LTE served from the same tower. I know they also mentioned CDMA EVDO RevB/1X Advanced support which (IIRC) also rides somewhere in 800Mhz, but the new standard gives you 4x the number of voice calls per Mhz of spectrum so I presume they will squash the voice channels down to squeeze more LTE and 3G in. The CDMA updates and backhaul upgrades should immediately benefit 3G speeds anywhere they are deployed. It isn't clear to me yet how much CDMA 3G will ride at 1900 and how much will live in 800, nor if they plan on beefing up 3G first or what (but again - part of the beauty of the new towers - a few keystrokes can change this and in fact the tower could auto-configure based on load if they wanted).

I believe (but I'm not 100%) that they are using LTE 5x5 in 800Mhz so they can fit LTE and improved CDMA 3G into that band. I don't think it will support 100% LTE for a long time, so don't expect the insane 70Mbps or whatever speeds they are quoting for LTE - that requires either 20 or 40Mhz channels (can't recall), not the 5Mhz channels Sprint will have. Still, it will kick HPDSA+ in the rear end.

If the Lightsquared deal happens and Sprint is allowed to use 1.6Ghz they will deploy LTE support in that band but they aren't counting on it due to the GPS interference questions (read: lovely device manufacturers building crappy radios when they knew this was coming well over 10 years ago). 2.5Ghz WiMax will be turned off (probably 2016 +/- 2 years) and depending on how Clear ends up either used for Clear's LTE if they survive or Sprint will pick them up in bankruptcy and use that for LTE as well in fixed installs (with antenna external) and/or for outdoor/vehicle travel. One of the great benefits of both LTE and their new single-cabinet tower technology is seamless hand-off between 3G and LTE, including across whatever frequency bands the device supports... so in theory if you walk inside a building you will seamlessly hand-off to 800Mhz. You speeds will drop somewhat but your connection will continue to work.

Oh and Clear doesn't have the cash to deploy LTE (by their own admission) so I really, really think bankruptcy is likely for Clear (unless some of those wild Dish network rumors prove true, though I think it more likely Dish plunks down to buy a chunk of Sprint who also needs a big hot injection of cash to afford their Network Vision/LTE roll-out).

Any corrections here? I tried to cover everything I know from memory but may have gotten some bits off. Feel free to offer alternate opinions if you like.

edit: a few corrections

Simulated fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 23, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I thought the 850Mhz was being reallocated for CDMA voice traffic.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I thought the 850Mhz was being reallocated for CDMA voice traffic.

That's the part I'm not 100% clear on. They are definitely deploying some LTE to 800Mhz but they also talked about enhanced CDMA voice in 800Mhz. My hunch is they are going to use a small slice of 800 with the new Rev B/1X Advanced CDMA since it can pack 4x the voice calls into the same spectrum, mostly to get better indoor voice coverage. The remainder will be LTE because by the time they turn off iDEN a lot of customers will have new phones that support LTE. But that's part speculation so YMMV.

edit: I just checked the presentation and it only mentions LTE at 1.9Ghz and CDMA on 800Mhz (presumably 3G and voice), but I know in the audio part they talked about LTE 5x5 in 800Mhz so I'm not sure exactly what their plan is there.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 23, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Matlock" posted:

Sanyo Vero?

Anyone who wants the flip phone, Sanyo Vero is the way to go.

"goku chewbacca" posted:

Is this a recent policy change since they initiated the $35 fee? I can't find it on the Equipment Service and Repair Program brochure.

You might want to add these to the OP. Should help people differentiate between issues covered by the in-store repair and replacement program vs. the Assurion insurance program with a $50/$100 deductible. You might be able to save yourself $3-4/month and only carry one of the 2 programs bundled as $8 TEP.
ESRP brochure
ERP brochure

Thanks I'll add it to the OP.

And the $35 fee is if you do NOT have insurance or protection and want to have warranty work done with your phone at a sprint store. No fees for protection plan customers, unless the phone is deemed unrepairable if course.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 23, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Duckman, just to reiterate: does Sprint still do ETF buyouts if you transfer from Verizon?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

Duckman, just to reiterate: does Sprint still do ETF buyouts if you transfer from Verizon?

No, port credits ended October first. and with the iPhone I doubt they are coming back.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

No, port credits ended October first. and with the iPhone I doubt they are coming back.

:argh: iphone :argh:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kreeblah posted:

I still don't get it. What's so special about the phones some people got from that link?

It is, supposedly, a Sprint branded (and thus can be activated on Sprint) handset that's on sale for subsidized pricing without requiring upping a contract.

I.E. you'd halfway through you contract and can get the 4s for subsidized pricing without extending your contract.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Casao posted:

It is, supposedly, a Sprint branded (and thus can be activated on Sprint) handset that's on sale for subsidized pricing without requiring upping a contract.

I.E. you'd halfway through you contract and can get the 4s for subsidized pricing without extending your contract.

Wait, what? Where is the link for that?

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

td4guy posted:

When did you place your order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I can't say enough good stuff about this tier 2 tech/CSR Jo(h)n that has been interfacing with me on this tower problem near my house. Really nice, follows up, all that jazz.
Got an airave coming in soon, supposedly. It is on my account, but not in my hands.