Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a pan-and-scan VHS of Ghostbusters that pans around depending on who's talking, like if all four of them were walking somewhere and talking and Dan Akroyd was cropped out of the frame but started talking, the whole scene would pan over to include him and cut out Ernie Hudson. It's the closest a film has ever come to giving me motion sickness.

That's where the "pan" in pan-and-scan comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also want to say that they squished the image in that scene so that it wasn't so pan&scan but then it just looked like gravity was closing in on their sides.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I was about to say that the LOTR extended cuts are better, but I think the only time I can think of where this undoubtedly the case is Return of the King.

Really? I've always heard from others (and hold the opinion myself) that RotK is the weakest of the extended movies. I find FotR to be the strongest because it fleshes out a lot of detail of scenes who's purpose was to move the story along while RotK had a very kitchen-sink feel to the whole thing. The confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch King didn't have any impact on anything but ended Gandalf's character arc on a weird down note and the Mouth of Sauron was cut strangely. There's a great scene in there somewhere but it's all chopped up and truncated.

Two Towers was kind of a wash.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
What movie originated the drop to your knees and shout 'no!' at the heavens?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I think that cliches a lot older than cinema.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

MisterGBH posted:

What movie originated the drop to your knees and shout 'no!' at the heavens?
I'd imagine Gone with the Wind provides a popular image.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBAmLm_jYyY

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In About Schmidt you see a theater during a montage that is playing Sideways. Sideways came out in '04, About Schmidt came out in '02. That's a little strange, right? Is that some sort of inside joke?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

cloudchamber posted:

I think that cliches a lot older than cinema.

True- King Lear is a good early example- but cinema did add the " dizzying overhead shot" that makes it so great.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

cheerfullydrab posted:

In About Schmidt you see a theater during a montage that is playing Sideways. Sideways came out in '04, About Schmidt came out in '02. That's a little strange, right? Is that some sort of inside joke?

It must be, the same person made both films.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

the Bunt posted:

It must be, the same person made both films.
Oh, of course.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I watched "New Rose Hotel" recently, while quite tired. It was excellent for much of the length, with Walken in his most Walkeny performance. I started to really fade in the last half hour, so could someone who's seen it tell me is the last half hour or so after Walken's death, entirely composed of Defoe sitting in the hotel room reminiscing about what has happened? Or did I miss something? As I said, I was pretty out of it and have since had to return the DVD.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
I've been meaning to watch Metropolis for some time now. I was wondering if there is any version I should watch first. "The Complete Metropolis" is on Netflix and would normally be my first choice but I just noticed that Giorgio Moroder presents Metropolis will be showing at a local theater soon.

I'll still probably watch both but is there one you guys think I should see first?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'd say you should probably watch the original first, to hear the music it was originally played to, and the tones that they originally set out to make.

Then listen to the awesome soundtrack of the Moroder one, and compare and contrast the two tones.

(Note: I have not seen Metropolis, I'm just going off of what seems like the correct course of action)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

I'd say you should probably watch the original first, to hear the music it was originally played to, and the tones that they originally set out to make.

Then listen to the awesome soundtrack of the Moroder one, and compare and contrast the two tones.

(Note: I have not seen Metropolis, I'm just going off of what seems like the correct course of action)
That course of action is correct. Watch the original, then seek out the alternate soundtracks by Moroder and Alloy Orchestra.

And if you end up not liking it, then you saved cash on the Moroder tickets and 2 1/2 hours of your precious time. :D

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

With the "complete" cut available now, I would not recommend seeing any other version as your first experience with Metropolis. Even the 2001 restoration is difficult to follow, despite well-written explanatory intertitles.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
What's the point of Pre Ordering a movie on ITunes or any other place you download them from? The whole point of pre ordering is so you can guarantee a copy on the day it's out. I don't see what the point of preordering a (Legally) downloadable version of a movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's to indulge the desire to impulse-buy. If you're willing to give them money for a movie at that moment, they'd rather hold it for you than take the chance that you'll forget to come back in a few weeks.

It makes more sense for TV shows, where the content is released in installments over a long period anyway.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, I asked about the first instance of "Extended Disarm" about 100 pages ago, and best anyone could figure was Mel Gibson in Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome.

Here is my followup:

What is the first film to portray a fight, and at some point a barrel/bottle of booze gets shot/broken, and our hero pauses in the middle of the fight to take a drink of the falling alcohol?

I noticed it last night in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the scene in Marion's bar in Mongolia. One of the Nazis/henchmen puts a round through a barrel of red liquid, and Marion stops fighting for a moment to have a drink by slurping it directly from the little booze waterfall. Anywhere earlier than that, in 1981?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

GORDON posted:

Ok, I asked about the first instance of "Extended Disarm" about 100 pages ago, and best anyone could figure was Mel Gibson in Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome.

Here is my followup:

What is the first film to portray a fight, and at some point a barrel/bottle of booze gets shot/broken, and our hero pauses in the middle of the fight to take a drink of the falling alcohol?

I noticed it last night in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the scene in Marion's bar in Mongolia. One of the Nazis/henchmen puts a round through a barrel of red liquid, and Marion stops fighting for a moment to have a drink by slurping it directly from the little booze waterfall. Anywhere earlier than that, in 1981?

I think Drunken Master did this in 1978.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

GORDON posted:

No idea, but it needs to happen more often in movies. The Untouchables did it in '87 and I can't remember a single movie since.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Didn't that happen in Shrek?

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

cheerfullydrab posted:

That reminds me of Lotso the Bear being in Up before he was in Toy Story 3.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I saw a movie at a bar on an HDTV that I assumed was optimized for sports, but the movie made it seem way more "real" than normal, but it looked really cheap, basically bad TV quality. I assume it's a hertz thing, but is this anything what the 48fps Hobbit would look like?

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

feedmyleg posted:

I saw a movie at a bar on an HDTV that I assumed was optimized for sports, but the movie made it seem way more "real" than normal, but it looked really cheap, basically bad TV quality. I assume it's a hertz thing, but is this anything what the 48fps Hobbit would look like?

The effect on televisions is a computer interpolating what isn't there with what is actually there. It is literally making all the stuff in the middle between actual frames up completely. Actual 48fps film, due to having all the data and not relying on a computer to futz about with it, shouldn't bear much of a resemblance to the cheapest soap opera ever recorded like interpolated high hertz televisions make everything look like.

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
I still don't understand how interpolation became a thing. It looks so bad.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

mexicanmonkey posted:

I still don't understand how interpolation became a thing. It looks so bad.
Rednecks love it!!!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

feedmyleg posted:

The TV had its form of motion blurring turned on and subsequently looks like rear end. Why this is even a function on televisions as the sheer amount of people who ask this question is crazy.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Again - it makes sports look really great and sports sell more TVs than movies ever could dream about.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Again - it makes sports look really great and sports sell more TVs than movies ever could dream about.

What about sports movies, then, smart guy? :colbert:

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I watched "New Rose Hotel" recently, while quite tired. It was excellent for much of the length, with Walken in his most Walkeny performance. I started to really fade in the last half hour, so could someone who's seen it tell me is the last half hour or so after Walken's death, entirely composed of Defoe sitting in the hotel room reminiscing about what has happened? Or did I miss something? As I said, I was pretty out of it and have since had to return the DVD.

I haven't seen it in years but, yes, that's basically the gist of it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The auto-motion judder reduction works well if its only set to 1-3 max (out of 10) if you're wanting to reduce excessive motion blur while keeping the "film" look (LCD/LED TV refresh rates still have nothing on old CRT sets). But yeah, most TVs with this feature have it set to 5-10 straight out of the box, and it seems most people are either too indifferent or lazy to turn it down. I've had several people tell me that they won't turn to HD because they saw their friends HDTV (which had automotion cranked up) and decided HD makes everything move like it's shot on video. Even worse are the people who tell me they LOVE HD because it makes everything move like it's "super real".

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Wild T posted:

What about sports movies, then, smart guy? :colbert:

Usually don't do too well, actually.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

Usually don't do too well, actually.

I was bored and curious so I looked up the box office for Warrior because it was the last sports movie I remember coming out and god drat, that movie did pretty terribly.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I just read that WB are planning to release the last Harry Potter movie on November 11th then pull all the movies from stores on December 29th, my question is Why? Wouldn't this just encourage illigal downloading?
http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/harry-potter-will-disapparate-from-store-shelves-dec-29th

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Two words: Disney Vault.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Slasherfan posted:

I just read that WB are planning to release the last Harry Potter movie on November 11th then pull all the movies from stores on December 29th, my question is Why? Wouldn't this just encourage illigal downloading?
http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/harry-potter-will-disapparate-from-store-shelves-dec-29th

So they can justify charging $x00 for the box-set.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching Expendables and wondering if Stallone really has all those tattoos, or if they were fake.

Which made me wonder, when they need to apply tattoos to someone, what do they use?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

twistedmentat posted:

Which made me wonder, when they need to apply tattoos to someone, what do they use?
Either elaborate airbrushing for something that takes up a lot of skin (Ralph Finnes for Red Dragon) or print out transfers for the low budget option, you can easily create them with an inkjet printer.

Stallone does have the tattoos on his upper shoulders so nothing needed.

Covering up tattoos is usually done with mixing up foundation with clown makeup and matching the right tone but there's a range of spray on stuff and so forth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WebDog posted:

Either elaborate airbrushing for something that takes up a lot of skin (Ralph Finnes for Red Dragon) or print out transfers for the low budget option, you can easily create them with an inkjet printer.

Covering up tattoos is usually done with mixing up foundation with clown makeup and matching the right tone but there's a range of spray on stuff and so forth.

I never knew it was so simple; I figured it was some kind of latex or something that they would use.

I know there's the Shadowcast thing about Tim Curry's tattoo in Rockey Horror melting.

it's actually kind of funny how with HD you can see really obvious tattoo cover up jobs. In Tomb Raider its really obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WebDog posted:

Is that his crazy, rear end aura-reading mom on his right shoulder there?