Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, I'm assuming he's been arguing the merits of the books in person the same as he's been doing it here.

"Nuh-uh."
"Nope."
"Disliking this book is irrational, I hope you know."
"This is getting amusing."
"Kid, you're asking for a flame war. You seriously don't know a goddamn thing about Japan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

savinhill posted:

I hope when GRRM dies soon that his publishers hire Terry Goodkind and Kevin J Anderson to finish the series, it's the legacy that the fat gently caress deserves.

With a special guest chapter written by Brian Herbert.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Simon Draskovic posted:

With a special guest chapter written by Brian Herbert.
And they can hire Stephanie Meyers to write Sansa's chapters

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

savinhill posted:

And they can hire Stephanie Meyers to write Sansa's chapters

That would almost work with the thing she has going for the Hound.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

subpage posted:

That would almost work with the thing she has going for the Hound.

What thing? Sansa/Dontos is loving obvious.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
If she got in a love triangle with Darkstar and Daario that would really play to Meyer's strengths

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

savinhill posted:

If she got in a love triangle with Darkstar and Daario that would really play to Meyer's strengths

My heart is aflutter, set ablaze with passions I could not fathom two minutes ago :swoon:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Paris could make a mint shilling Team Darkstar and Team Daario t-shirts on the Not A Blog

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Eh, like I wrote in the book sub-forums' what did you just read thread, A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons are 2000 pages of build up. There is nothing that requires 2000 pages of build up. Gurm can go and gently caress himself and so can you if you think anything requires 2000 pages of build up. That's plain poo poo writing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So did anyone else ever picture Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force as Jorah Mormont before the TV show?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Event idea:

As you may (not) know, NaNoWriMo is coming up. This is when people with no lives that spend all their times in books and not on da streetz write a novel in November.

What if we did a SA NaNoWriMo for ASoIaF using Neovella? Neovella is a site that published hundreds of goons for half-assed works of art. Basically, you join a project, and there's a few others working on the same project. You provide/contribute to a story, and when time runs out, the next person in the room contributes their part. When time runs out or they submit their part, it goes to the next person, and loops around until the story is done.

So basically, what we could do, is all pick a date to write a neovella of ASoIaF Wild Cards edition. On that date, we go to https://www.neovella.com join the ASoIaF room, and start writing the worst best edition of WILD CARDS ever.

If we get enough support (at least 5 people) let's do it. Otherwise, I'll consider it an unfavorable idea and cry myself to sleep.

savinhill posted:

So did anyone else ever picture Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force as Jorah Mormont before the TV show?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

We had trouble enough getting a Dark Hershey game going once a week, writing a novel might prove really hosed up.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is Dark Hershey?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Warchocolate 40k. In the milk darkness of the far future, there is only cocoa butter.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

savinhill posted:

Paris could make a mint shilling Team Darkstar and Team Daario t-shirts on the Not A Blog

gently caress I would be so torn, two of my favorites pitted against each other in the Thunderdome of Teenage Girl Hearts?

:negative:

Dead Man Posting posted:

Event idea:

Start writing the worst best edition of WILD CARDS ever.

As an ASOIAF slashfic/gurmfic writer artist first and general malcontent second, I would be down for this. Are you sure you are ready to open Pandora's Rapebox, though? Could the world handle that much literary gold?

edit: First line: "Dolorous Edd woke up like he did every other morning - rock hard."

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 22, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You've been waiting to use that sentence ever since you discovered Dolorous Edd was a hard gay poltergeist. That's not the kind of free-form genius this work of art requires.

Allow me to demonstrate true virtuosity:

"Bloodraven woke up like he did every other morning - bark hard."

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

No, no you haven't.

Oh, I'm sorry, we don't live in the same reality, do we? I live in actual people's world. I forget that WILD CARDS live in the realm of constant bitching, 24/7. There is no happiness, only perpetual complaints.

what the hell is Dark Hershey?

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 22, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
IRQ is, in fact, Dolorous Edd.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

bigmcgaffney posted:

Wait until Dany does it, then you'll really lose it.

This is the sort of thing that dreams are made of.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Event idea:

As you may (not) know, NaNoWriMo is coming up. This is when people with no lives that spend all their times in books and not on da streetz write a novel in November.

What if we did a SA NaNoWriMo for ASoIaF using Neovella? Neovella is a site that published hundreds of goons for half-assed works of art. Basically, you join a project, and there's a few others working on the same project. You provide/contribute to a story, and when time runs out, the next person in the room contributes their part. When time runs out or they submit their part, it goes to the next person, and loops around until the story is done.

So basically, what we could do, is all pick a date to write a neovella of ASoIaF Wild Cards edition. On that date, we go to https://www.neovella.com join the ASoIaF room, and start writing the worst best edition of WILD CARDS ever.

If we get enough support (at least 5 people) let's do it. Otherwise, I'll consider it an unfavorable idea and cry myself to sleep.

I'd be down for this. I must warn you, however, that aside from Brienne chapters and post-Pretty Pig Tyrion I've pretty much enjoyed the last couple of books. (well, not really the Dany chapters but I didn't like them in the first three either)

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, we don't live in the same reality, do we? I live in actual people's world. I forget that WILD CARDS live in the realm of constant bitching, 24/7. There is no happiness, only perpetual complaints.

Your hate is misdirected, sir. Instead you should pity readers with standards, for they are forever denied joy from the vast majority of fantasy literature and japanese video games. What a curse we bear. :smith:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

YES bread posted:

Your hate is misdirected, sir. Instead you should pity readers with standards, for they are forever denied joy from the vast majority of fantasy literature and japanese video games. What a curse we bear. :smith:

If I were to pity readers with standards, I'd be pitying myself. :smith:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Azure_Horizon posted:

If I were to pity readers with standards, I'd be pitying myself. :smith:
I'm sorry, you are not allowed to say something like that after saying this:

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hmm, no wonder Tolkien's writing is so loving dull while Martin's is consistently interesting.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So we got two people (not including myself) that want to do the project. If we get five, what we need to do is decide the following:

Title
Chapters/perspectives
Date to start
If there is a chapter that is just "rape" for every word

Also, you don't have to had read all books in the series, but it might help you the more you read.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Actually, I'm in. I will, of course, be the writer of any and all GREGOR chapters.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
The project sounds interesting, but what would it practically mean? If there are five writers, everybody writes 10 000 words? That sounds a lot better than everyone writing 50 000 words, because I have studies, life and other poo poo going on in November too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

November really does sound like a bad month to do something like that in.

Good luck though, and yes it should have a chapter that is just the word rape.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: Here is how Neovella works! :siren:

People sign into the website at https://www.neovella.com

They then click on the "A Song of Ice and Fire project"

What happens next is that join a "room". On the left side is the text of the project that we are working on, on the right side is names and a list of people and chat features.

When you join, you wait your turn to add in text. You have about 1-2 minutes to compose text. You can write just a word or a paragraph or whatever. If you run out of time, it goes to the next person in the list. They get 1-2 minutes to write, edit, or whatever. When their time runs out, it goes to the next, and you basically have to wait your turn again. It's more entertaining than it sounds; you are not really waiting for your turn again, because you are reading the text and being engaged with other people's contributions, and when it IS your turn again, you build off what they have submitted.

This goes on until we are done with a chapter, then we put the project on hold until another date we all agree on, then begin another chapter.

No one person can write a whole chapter exclusively using the Neovella site.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm in. It sounds fun, provided I can make it to writing sessions.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Reg'd on novella with same name as here.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

No one person can write a whole chapter exclusively using the Neovella site.

Actually, you can if you set it up to do so. Honestly, a 2 minute timeframe to write something in a loop with other people sounds like a really lovely way to spend some time.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

savinhill posted:

Haha, I didn't consciously do this, but in retrospect I sure pictured someone of that look.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Actually, you can if you set it up to do so. Honestly, a 2 minute timeframe to write something in a loop with other people sounds like a really lovely way to spend some time.

In retrospect, my experience with it was a lot better, but that might be because of the copious amounts of booze I drank when I attended the composition of Never Trust an Eagle on a Pole

We might mix it up. If you want to write a chapter on your own, we can set it up that way I guess. But I want a few sessions where we each share lines at least, just to make it the most "wtf" chapters that GRRM can only dream of making.

I am making this an official event in the OP. What date should we start? 29th too cloes to Halloween? Sometime on the weekend?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Next weekend I'm pretty booked, but I'd be kinda free on Friday night I think.

Tyshalle, you've never played Round Robin? I always had a lot of fun with that as a kid. We'd come up with the stupidest stories...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rurik posted:

I'm sorry, you are not allowed to say something like that after saying this:

I did, so... it's been done, I was allowed.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I did, so... it's been done, I was allowed.

No, you broke the rules, rebel. Breaking unspoken analytical fundamentals like grrm breaks genre conventions and hymens.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And sex crimes laws, Gurm loves breaking those.

e: and deadlines, he breaks deadlines like nobody's motherfucking business!

e2: And chairs, belts, suspenders, the seats of pants, etc.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

No, you broke the rules, rebel. Breaking unspoken analytical fundamentals like grrm breaks genre conventions and hymens.

Can GRRM even find his penis anymore?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

And sex crimes laws, Gurm loves breaking those.

e: and deadlines, he breaks deadlines like nobody's motherfucking business!

e2: And chairs, belts, suspenders, the seats of pants, etc.

don't forget the laws of fashion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Can GRRM even find his penis anymore?

Only if he follows the scent trail of crusty poo poo and coagulated semen