Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Fleshpeg posted:

I'm not saying it's ok to attack people, but think about the situation from the other point of view. If you woke up and some random guy you aren't friends with is drawing poo poo on your face, wouldn't you be angry? You said that you're not even sure that he was even trying to hurt you. So what do you think you should have done other than what you did? Part of handling situations like that is being able to think clearly. Other than getting him to stop, what else could you have done? It sounds like the situation got diffused and no one got hurt. Breaking someone's face might make your ego feel better in the heat of the moment but that's probably not the wisest course of action in the long run.

I was in a huge line for a roller coaster a few weeks ago when some rear end in a top hat and his girlfriend cut in line in front of us. One girl in our group called him out on it and his response was basically "gently caress you, what are you going to do about it?" I will admit that a small part of me wanted to double-leg him into the ground and choke him out in front of his girlfriend. But logically, there's not really a winning scenario. He either beats the poo poo out of me, which is not good for me, or I beat the poo poo out of him and possibly get arrested and have to deal with legal issues over getting onto a roller coaster faster. It sucks for your ego, but not getting into a physical confrontation unless you're protecting yourself or others is usually the best choice.

Just push in front of him and say the exact same thing to him, if he throws the first punch you can go nuts and do whatever the hell you want. Well in Aus anyway.
I'm sorta sick of this whole 'let things slide, be peaceful and do everything you possibly can to avoid confrontation' movement. If no one ever stands up to these idiots, they'll just keep doing it again and again. I'm not trying to be an internet tough guy but I think doing nothing is a mistake. Its been years since I've let anyone push in front of me for anything, just out of principle that they're not more important than anyone else in the line.

This post makes me sound like a cranky hate-filled rear end in a top hat. i'm really not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Fleshpeg posted:

Breaking someone's face might make your ego feel better in the heat of the moment but that's probably not the wisest course of action in the long run.

This is good advice, too. I understand having fun at a party, and that sometimes friends do dumb 'funny' poo poo to each other when they pass out. It's still immature jackassery that inevitably leads to things escalating and the whole party being ruined. It's best to just rise above that. Treat others as you'd like to be treated, and all that jazz.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

For the record, I honestly don't give a poo poo about my status as a badass, I'll gladly look like a jackass to defuse a situation. I'm all for play-fighting and that poo poo. Hence why I let him do his thing, and got slammed in the eye for it. I fully admit the retardation of the situation to begin with, but really, if I didn't know the guy and we were in any other setting I would have thought he was trying to bust my face open.

Glad it all ended with nobody getting seriously hurt, laughed it off afterwards, but gently caress, not used to adrenaline dumps.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rhaka posted:

Guy grabs the marker and starts stabbing at my face.

*ADRENALINE DUMP*

What the gently caress.

Hah! You will not laugh at LARPers and their stab-sticks after this now WILL YOU, Rhaka! If you had their skillz down you'd parried with your magazine shield and countered with a stiff pillow-club to the head (+5 blunt damage, -3 to dodge rolls)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Speaking of LARPers, I bumped into the remnants of my old ninjitsu club a few weeks ago. I was almost tempted to join their training session so that I could prove I still possessed the most important skill of a true ninja; dive rolling over chairs.

Also, I think people should post more videos of themselves training/grappling/fighting. I'm often curious how people actually fite beyond their posting style.
Here's a clip from last friday with me grappling for position with my roomie (hence me not putting on any submissions).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YRjgSjNig

Bonus: The most european takedown.

I'm going to start getting more grappling filmed, not just for me, but for the rest of the club as well. I think people can learn a lot from seeing their mistakes in video.

E; I'm the blonde guy. In my roomie's defense, he was pretty stoned before training. Gotta own that 10th planet rash guard in every way possible!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 21, 2011

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Nierbo posted:

Just push in front of him and say the exact same thing to him, if he throws the first punch you can go nuts and do whatever the hell you want. Well in Aus anyway.

Unfortunately I don't think it always works out that way in the US. He was asking for and deserved a punch in the face, but I'm not willing to bet possible jail time/legal fees/damage to future earnings against the chances of the South Carolina justice system being fair and impartial.

An acquaintance of mine once had a drunk rear end in a top hat harass him and the girl he was with at a bar. He told the guy to gently caress off and after a few hours walked the girl home. The guy had been waiting outside the entire time to confront him and it ended up coming to blows. He pummels the guy, but the problem is that the guy was an off-duty police officer. The DA throws the book at him but he manages to avoid a felony charge. After it's all done, he ends up with a minor assault conviction but he estimates he's lost almost half a million dollars in potential wages and legal fees over it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
see this is why jiu-jitsu rules:

1) choke him unconscious.

2) hide the tobasco.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
If some dude cuts in line in front of you, the only real response is to call him a douche bag or a child. There is no real way to get upset, but if you suggest to all the girls around that only children really need to be in a ride 3 minutes faster/cut in line ( I do this with littering ) it generally makes them quit. Guys hate it when girls start laughing at them/thinking they're stupid. Plus he can't fight you because girls will think he's even more of a douche than he was for cutting in line.

Even if the guy has a girlfriend this should work, because even the girlfriend will be like Ugh do we really need to cut in line and have all these people make fun of us oh noes my reputation is being ruined. And if they don't give a gently caress, at least you were the adult and you have something to laugh about with any girls you brought.

Shame is a really good non-violent equalizer.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm going to start getting more grappling filmed, not just for me, but for the rest of the club as well. I think people can learn a lot from seeing their mistakes in video.

That's a great idea, I wish we had more people with cameras who also wish to be filmed. One of our boxing coaches told me I have a typical "reflex trap" (or whatever, can't remember the exact Spanish term he used) of dropping my left down and back up that I never noticed before to quite that extent, now that he told me and I watched a video of me doing some slow sparring yep it's there - I think - rather foolishly, that whoever is in front of me throwing the lazy straights I do would never catch me.

Expect with a bit of timing after 30 seconds of boxing they would, every time, because it's so maddeningly regular.

Umm, so, instruction with videos would probably make even hobbyists like me (and probably many of you guys) better with very little effort. But who the gently caress would spend his or her free time filming people sparring, editing, and uploading it for the others to see >:[

edit: the point being, I'm so stupid I really didn't figure out how useful it is until I saw it. But I never claimed to be that bright to begin with...

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 21, 2011

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good BJJ instructional aimed at around a brown belt level that focuses on BIG CONCEPTS like positioning or balance or guard passing?? I am having trouble taking it to the "next level" and other than drilling over and over again im wondering if there are good instructionals on this stuff, and most of the instructionals for this level Ive seen are a bunch of x-guard crap or weird low percentage submissions

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Syphilis Fish posted:

Shame is a really good non-violent equalizer.

I agree that using humor to shame him about the only thing you can do, but someone brought up a good point earlier: Don't put people in a situation where they're forced to save face. In this situation, the guy would have had the option of telling everyone to gently caress off and walking away. Doing the same thing in a scenario where someone has to stand there and take verbal humiliation would probably turn out differently.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

james earl pwns posted:

Can anyone recommend a good BJJ instructional aimed at around a brown belt level that focuses on BIG CONCEPTS like positioning or balance or guard passing?? I am having trouble taking it to the "next level" and other than drilling over and over again im wondering if there are good instructionals on this stuff, and most of the instructionals for this level Ive seen are a bunch of x-guard crap or weird low percentage submissions

Maybe Demian Maia's Science of Jiu-jitsu? I haven't watched the full set but he goes over theory in addition to the usual instructional list of moves. I'm not sure how much of it there is and if it's still useful at your level though.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Rhaka posted:

Well, gently caress me, I feel like the biggest pussy ever now.

So I was at a party, and a semi-friend of mine was nodding off. The established social convention here is you are fair game for marker doodles if you fall asleep, so I grabbed a marker, silently creeped closer, and softly gave the guy a mustache. I realize this is retarded, but anyway;

Guy flips out, bashes me aside. All fun and games, but he grabs my leg, comes after me super loving aggresively, with a completely blank expression, grabs the marker and starts stabbing at my face. I stop myself from bashing his face in because hey, marker, just push him off, get wrestled to the floor and finally get stabbed in the face a few times, very nearly in my eyes. This all takes place over maybe 10 seconds.

I manage to get him to stop, tell him to chill the gently caress out, etc, etc. Afterwards, massive loving adrenaline dump in my body, shaking all over, called it quits for the night. It felt like the guy was coming at me with a knife, I seriously didn't know if he meant to do me harm or was messing around. In retrospect I wish I had done something to stop him instead of just pushing him away, could easily have lost an eye.

And now I'm at home again and actually feel like poo poo because someone came at me with a marker. What the gently caress.
You acted like an idiot, the dude massively overreacted, but you did the right thing by not escalating it to the next level and trying to bash him in the face.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

james earl pwns posted:

I'm a purple belt but you may want to look at what part of your game you are weakest, and look for instructional material on that area. Like, my half guard sucks so I've been watching instructionals on half guard to help fill that hole.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The MGinaction website has very good instructionals if you're willing to pay like $20 a month or something. It has a few thousand video instructionals, so I imagine it should cover both the basics and the advanced s tuff.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fleshpeg posted:

I agree that using humor to shame him about the only thing you can do, but someone brought up a good point earlier: Don't put people in a situation where they're forced to save face. In this situation, the guy would have had the option of telling everyone to gently caress off and walking away. Doing the same thing in a scenario where someone has to stand there and take verbal humiliation would probably turn out differently.

I've only got another month or so before it becomes a big deal when I start getting into fights...

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

henkman posted:

Wait till people use elbows and shoulders. Hope you have a mouth guard.

Did you do anything to learn how to apply that type of pressure from the top? It seems strange that a heavy guy can I lie on top of me and not even feel like a burden while someone half my size can have me gasping for breath.

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 21, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

origami posted:

Did you do anything to learn how to apply that type of pressure from the top? It seems strange that a heavy guy can I lie on top of me and not even feel like a burden while someone half my size can have me gasping for breath.

Pressure = force / area

(Think putting 20 lbs of force to hit a log with a hammer. Lots of surface area. Now try the same thing with an axe, little amount of surface area for the applied force, it goes in easily.)

Basically don't evenly distribute pressure. You want to narrow the area it is applied to (and use the majority of your weight) to really get a high amount.

You can drill this with a medicine ball, a pillow, whatever, just focus on using one single point and not putting too much of you weight on the ground.

Knee to belly is a good example of this.

For side control, really get your feet far out and try to have the majority of your weight on their chest.

For mount with hookes, curl your leg around the back of his knee. Try to keep your leg elevated and off the ground. The majority of your weight should be on top of his hips.

It is something you will get the hang of as you practice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

origami posted:

We do an "around the world" drill to train people in applying their weight correctly. We have students start in Yoko Shiho Gatame on either side, then transition to Kesa Gatame, then into Kata Gatame, then into Kuzure Kami Shiho Gatame, then into Kami Shiho Gatame, then going backwards through the techniques on the other side and then doing it all in reverse coming back around. We emphasize that their weight should never leave the Uke's chest at any point during the drill.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

We do an "around the world" drill to train people in applying their weight correctly. We have students start in Yoko Shiho Gatame on either side, then transition to Kesa Gatame, then into Kata Gatame, then into Kuzure Kami Shiho Gatame, then into Kami Shiho Gatame, then going backwards through the techniques on the other side and then doing it all in reverse coming back around. We emphasize that their weight should never leave the Uke's chest at any point during the drill.

We do this too at my dojo and it helped me and others greatly. Senor P tips are pretty good too. Practice with someone and transition from position to position and try different ways to increase the pressure. You basically want 100% of your weight to be on them, for example, if you're doing a scarf hold, your hip is on the ground, but it should pretty much float. If you're really "sitting" at the side of the guy then you're going to feel light even if you weight 250 lbs.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm a bit of a shitstirrer, and in retrospect it's a wonder I never got beaten to death before I learned to fight.

I think the marker pen incident is pretty legit, the only problem is that you have to do that stuff to people you know well, and who know what to expect from you. The guy is a raging rear end in a top hat incapable of laughing at himself, and it's your fault for not picking that up beforehand, but then you dealt with it well by reacting non-violently.

The guy pushing in line? Honestly, I would have just talked poo poo until he either stormed off in a rage or attacked me. "What am I going to do about it? Nothing. I'm just wondering how pathetic your life must be if the only way you can feel powerful is to push in front of strangers in a line like a six year old. Get no respect at work? Can't get it up? Wife loving the mailman?"

He would either fly into a loud rage and then bring himself back under control, in which case he looks like an idiot to everybody around him,
or he would've attacked me, in which case he lands in my mount and looks like an idiot (I'm confident I could get most people my size into mount without hurting them),
or he would've stormed off, in which case he looks like an idiot,
or he would have gotten into a war of words with me, in which I would have made him look like an idiot. The type of person who gets their kicks pushing into lines and telling people to 'deal with it' is not going to be a difficult person to crush in a verbal argument,
or he would have just gone quiet, in which case he looks pathetic: he'll make a rude gesture, talk big, and then freeze up once somebody confronts him about his behaviour.

I might have had second thoughts if he was huge, though.

This is not the correct thing to do, but I am an rear end in a top hat. I enjoy riling people up and can't stop myself. Afterwards, I would've sat down and said to myself "you loving idiot, you should've stayed quiet".

Shame can be a really great tool by itself. When I was in high school I worked at a McDonalds, and I noticed this phenomenon where people who I assume get no respect in the workplace are just horrible people to fast food employees, because they're the only people they can find who they feel superior to, and they want to talk down or order somebody around. I feel pity for the employees who have to smilingly endure this because of my own experiences.

Since I've gotten more confident in recent years, I've started calling them out if I'm in line behind them, and they have a tendency to freeze up and not know what to do, because they came here to order some teenagers around and suddenly an adult is telling them that they're acting like children. Simply bringing attention to their behaviour is often enough to really gently caress with their day.

"Dude, you paid two dollars for that cheeseburger. Do you really need to get another one for free because it had an extra pickle on it? You can just peel it off, you know."

I've never had any kind of angry confrontation spark out of this yet, they always freeze up and go quiet. It helps to use a really calm voice, too, to give them that feeling that they're being unreasonable.

If I ever start posting from a wheelchair you'll all know why. I should also point out that I'm in a relatively friendly part of Australia: nobody will ever have a gun, and our self-defense laws are sensible.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is not the correct thing to do, but I am an rear end in a top hat.

Its absolutely the correct thing to do and he's the rear end in a top hat, not you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Finance exam starts at 9:00 am. Judo tournament starts at 11:30, and is a 90 minute drive from school. That means I need to finish my exam in just about an hour!

This is my second tournament. My first was in May. I'm still a little nervous about competing. If I can get some video and I'm not totally embarrassed by it I might possibly think of posting it.

For anyone wondering, my cat made it out of surgery OK and I'll see her after my tourney.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

We do this too at my dojo and it helped me and others greatly. Senor P tips are pretty good too. Practice with someone and transition from position to position and try different ways to increase the pressure. You basically want 100% of your weight to be on them, for example, if you're doing a scarf hold, your hip is on the ground, but it should pretty much float. If you're really "sitting" at the side of the guy then you're going to feel light even if you weight 250 lbs.

So for kesa-gatame, what you want to do is keep your hips above the floor enough that 'a piece of paper can pass underneath you'. Too high and you'll get rolled, but too low and the weight is on the ground, not on his floating ribs where it makes the pin nice. If you're doing the non-far side underhook kesa-gatame, you need to pull REALLY hard on the elbow you're controlling (if he can get the elbow to the floor, he can escape and take your back, since you don't have the far side underhook). The combination between those two makes things nice and tight. For heavyweights, we tend to be a little straighter up ('now pose for the camera') because it's pretty rare that another heavyweight is going to be flexible enough to put his legs up around our heads. This might be something you want to watch out for with lightweights. When I first started I was taught to put my head down low next to his, but I was told to cut that out.

For pins like yoko-shiho (side control), there's actually kind of a low control the hips and a high control the head sort of option. For your standard yoko-shiho, you want to 'turn those three inches into four' as one of my BJJ teachers used to say. That is, push those hips down. (Another BJJ teacher said 'There are two kinds of guys in prison, I can tell which one you're going to be' to remind us to keep our hips down.)

If you want to be really mean, and can get high (which means towards the head, enough that you can neutralize his close arm), you can try this: Snake the arm next to his head around the neck, and grab his armpit with the middle finger of that hand. Now use that to torque his head over.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is not the correct thing to do, but I am an rear end in a top hat. I enjoy riling people up and can't stop myself. Afterwards, I would've sat down and said to myself "you loving idiot, you should've stayed quiet".

Since I've gotten more confident in recent years, I've started calling them out if I'm in line behind them, and they have a tendency to freeze up and not know what to do, because they came here to order some teenagers around and suddenly an adult is telling them that they're acting like children. Simply bringing attention to their behaviour is often enough to really gently caress with their day.

If I ever start posting from a wheelchair you'll all know why. I should also point out that I'm in a relatively friendly part of Australia: nobody will ever have a gun, and our self-defense laws are sensible.

This is me. You're me. Stop being me!

I don't know how many times I've walked away from a verbal confrontation which by any judgement I won thinking "gently caress you're stupid" but if I see someone getting pushed around who isn't in a position to tell the other person to gently caress off even though it's entirely justified, I can't hold back. Bus drivers especially. Nothing shits me more than someone who stands next to a bus driver while he's trying to drive and berates him for being 34 seconds late while the bus driver just sits there apologising over and over again. Not only are you an rear end in a top hat, you're distracting someone who's driving a vehicle with 20 or more people on board.

I rarely ever think of it escalating to a physical confrontation, nor do I want it to, but I can't abide how hard some people berate people who are "beneath" them (read: can't tell them to get hosed for fear of job loss).

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 22, 2011

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Do you guys spar with people from other styles regularly?

i'm training Wing Chun (Wong Shun Leung lineage), we hook up with the boxers and MT guys from our gym every now and then. I found it rather enlighting to check out other systems and have some sort of a dialogue going on. (Oh god, i hate boxers :))

Plus some other things that i wanted to add:

Looking back a few pages, there seems to be some confusion about Wing Chun. It's right that there is really, really alot of bullshit out there. you're speaking of certain lineages. E.g. certain students of Yip Man that claim to have some "special" knowledge or techniques that only they know (and that they want to share with you, if you pay enough money). It's pretty hard to find a decent school.

Another misunderstanding that i read here before seems to be that ppl assume that the typical stance associated with wing chun (with the knees tucked in to protect your groin) is the fighting stance. it's not, you will see it in the movie, but then you also see alot of other unrealistic crap there. you practice it in the first form to build strength and tension in your legs. it's really nothing more than a drill for beginners to find their center of balance and have their hips turned up (also your movement will somewhat be derived from the principle of this stance, but not in this unnatural way).

the fighting stance is not so different from boxing or MT, except that you always roll your hip forward and have your leading leg tucked in slightly more to the inside than with these stances. Depending on the school, they will tell you to either utilize the ball of the foot or either the heel while doing footwork.

sparring is something that certain school will do and others won't. it varies. Also keep in mind that you can't use most of WC's best techniques while sparring. straight punches to the throat, eyegouging, chops to the throat and kicks to the groin or straight into the knee. well, and the fact that you will have to use gloves. catching a black eye is really easy without.

so you might ask, where's the difference to other styles? basically there isn't that much to other "hard" styles if we break it down. there are just so many ways to punch or kick. where WC really shines is when it comes to fighting in trapping range. once you get there, then it's basically sticky hands and that's what you're conditioned to do.

However, lowkicks and grappling will put you in a world of hurt if you don't close the gap.

Concerning WC, the internet is full of poop. Don't build your opinion about WC on that or the Yip Man flics. it would be like learning physics from hollywood-movies.

lastly i'll drop a few names: chinaboxer's channel on youtube is a pretty good overview. And also there's a good dvd out there by David Peterson that will give you an idea of the principles.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hellblazer187 posted:

Finance exam starts at 9:00 am. Judo tournament starts at 11:30, and is a 90 minute drive from school. That means I need to finish my exam in just about an hour!

This is my second tournament. My first was in May. I'm still a little nervous about competing. If I can get some video and I'm not totally embarrassed by it I might possibly think of posting it.

For anyone wondering, my cat made it out of surgery OK and I'll see her after my tourney.

Where is the tourney? My club is at a tournament in Illinois today that starts at 11:30.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

InspectorBloor posted:

so you might ask, where's the difference to other styles? basically there isn't that much to other "hard" styles if we break it down. there are just so many ways to punch or kick.

There's a lot of things in this post that will be drawn into question, but I'm just going to focus on this one thing.

If you want to be taken seriously than you'd do well to start by avoiding statements like this.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kumo Jr. posted:

There's a lot of things in this post that will be drawn into question, but I'm just going to focus on this one thing.

If you want to be taken seriously than you'd do well to start by avoiding statements like this.

it is limited by the ways that your joints can move. it is the form that follows function. we see certain patterns that are basically similar because of the structure of human anatomy and the effectiveness in application of force in range of a certain concept.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kumo Jr. posted:

you're weird and don't take advice anyway and also have questionable beliefs regarding feminism. i.e. in no place to talk about being taken seriously

inspectorbloor posted:

it is limited by the ways that your joints can move. it is the form that follows function. we see certain patterns that are basically similar because of the structure of human anatomy and the effectiveness in application of force in range of a certain concept.

What does 'sticky hands' mean? I've seen all the Ip Mans, and they're fuckin sweet.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

InspectorBloor posted:

You should probably take a few boxing or MT lessons from a certified professional before trying to back up the previous statement that WC is similar to boxing and MT. I suppose both require you to use your arms and legs and hands and feet. And you have to wear retarded clothes for all of them...

Also you should do the same thing before you make the assertion that wing chun's form follows function...

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fontoyn posted:

What does 'sticky hands' mean? I've seen all the Ip Mans, and they're fuckin sweet.

sticky hands is the basically the translation for chi sao, it's a partner drill where you train to feel and react to the energy that the partner is giving you. not in an esoteric way, but simply the push and pull that is directed at you. you learn to react to the impulses that the partner is giving you, not by seeing, but feeling. balance and body-structure is very important here.

it doesn't directly train application, but with enough training you will easily feel when there is an opening for you to strike, how to unbalance your partner or how to react to certain attacks. plus, the range where you train chi sao is also the range where you want to fight. you always want to get in touch so to speak.

there are a number of drills, but you can also "spar". once you get there in your training it is one of those "aha" moments. when you see a video of those things, it doesn't look like much, doing it is something else. it's also fun.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 22, 2011

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Guilty posted:

You should probably take a few boxing or MT lessons from a certified professional before trying to back up the previous statement that WC is similar to boxing and MT. I suppose both require you to use your arms and legs and hands and feet. And you have to wear retarded clothes for all of them...

Also you should do the same thing before you make the assertion that wing chun's form follows function...

i didn't mean that WC as a single art only follows function (oh god, no), and also that the forms (i think you meant that?) are closer related to the application. they teach you principles. there are alot of approaches for the same problem, but all are limited by the same confines. if your knee moves the other way that it is meant to, you'll have a problem, no matter what your style is.

i trained tkd for 5 years, after that MT. traditional boxing, that i didn't try yet. also, my experience with judo is mostly getting thrown and then armbarr'd into oblivion. i don't think it makes sense to think of a technique as fundamentally different if you call it a teep or milo chagi. one hits with the heel, the other with the ball of the foot, but the vehicle to deliver your force is the same, as is the movement of the leg and the hips. or think of a sidekick, you also have that in MT, but you don't see it so often in tournaments. how different is that technique if we look at karate, tkd, MT or wc? i feel that this is mostly cosmetic and blocks the view to the things that connect the arts

you will also see that above, i meant striking arts.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 22, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Question for Sambo players - is closed guard practiced much in Sambo?

last night I had the pleasure of doing some randori/newaza with a couple of hard as loving nails sambo dudes who visited the dojo (big strong rear end russians - they seriously did the stereotype proud :ussr:). Those guys had been training for over 10 years and were explosive as hell.

When rolling, I was pretty much getting manhandled until I pulled closed guard, which they drew a blank. I found it strange that they were so fluid with their grappling until this one position when they had to stop and think of what to do. One of them actually began lifting me off the mat to slam me - until he realized it was judo rules and put me down ("sorry my friend! we play nice tonight, yes?"). So I'm guessing if slamming is allowed, then closed guard is not such a good idea?

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 22, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Well what do you do in closed guard? I guess you can use it to stall but you gotta open it to threaten, right? Except for the scorpion crunch.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

niethan posted:

Well what do you do in closed guard? I guess you can use it to stall but you gotta open it to threaten, right? Except for the scorpion crunch.

well against this tough as gently caress sambo guy, it was stall to catch my breath, then setup for a flower sweep, which I was all :smug: once I ended up on top, but then all :smith: when he bench pressed me off then took my back...

edit: I thought he'd at least try to pass while I was stalling, but it took him a while to think about what to do, in contrast to how fluid he was during the rest of the roll.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 22, 2011

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

InspectorBloor posted:

i don't think it makes sense to think of a technique as fundamentally different if you call it a teep or milo chagi. one hits with the heel, the other with the ball of the foot, but the vehicle to deliver your force is the same, as is the movement of the leg and the hips. or think of a sidekick, you also have that in MT, but you don't see it so often in tournaments. how different is that technique if we look at karate, tkd, MT or wc? i feel that this is mostly cosmetic and blocks the view to the things that connect the arts

you will also see that above, i meant striking arts.

You haven't trained enough in Muay Thai. A teep is not just with the heel. A left teep is a full body motion, heavily involving perfect hip motion, a good left arm swing, body twist, straight out, connecting with the heel, snapping the ankle to hit with the ball of the foot, pull out, and either set, or block and set.

edit: you have to be certifiable that the physics in this motion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUCih9zaqw8 is the same as the physics in this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nDTuFKqhafM#t=85s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMMBRBNtZLw

Guilty fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 22, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Fontoyn posted:

you're weird and don't take advice anyway and also have questionable beliefs regarding feminism. i.e. in no place to talk about being taken seriously

You're negative, condescending and annoying. Isn't name-calling fun? I never asked you for advice to begin with. I was asked to expand on my training program, so I did. When you jumped in to tell me how I do everything wrong and my program sucks I just ignored you and moved on. If you have a problem with me I suggest that you do the same.

And I really have no idea what you're talking about with regards to feminism. I'm not a misogynist at all. I guess I'll just chalk that statement up to more of you being an idiot, and move on to people that can actually participate in an intelligent conversation.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Chinese martial arts are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So. At least my finance exam went well.

They separated the weight class I expected to be in into two different classes, so I was in a super-heavy class with one other guy. He said he'd been doing Judo for 13 years to my less than 2. He was also ten years younger than me. We fight for about 3:30, which is the longest I've ever gone. I got a yuko with an o-ouchi gari, we tussle on the mat for a bit and he pins me for the win. After the match, I have what feels like an asthma attack. I haven't had an exercise induced asthma attack since I was 13 or 14, although sometimes when I catch a cold I still have asthma like symptoms. But I knew this feeling. I guess my face had gone pale too. My sensei strongly suggested I forfeit the next match. I resisted at first but when I was still coughing and shaking before the next match started I decided to quit. Feels lovely quitting but I do think it was ultimately the right call. I'm still coughing and wheezing a little bit (4 hours post match). I really really really need to get working on cardio and losing more weight. I lost 40lbs earlier this year but put 15 back on since then. I guess I gotta lose another 40-50 and work on some cardio intervals.

Thoguh I am in central Florida.

Edit: Video of my match currently resides on my Sensei's droid. Haven't seen it yet, not sure if I'll post it. I'll have to review it first.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 23, 2011

• Locked thread