Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Zedlic posted:

I'm making dinner for a weekly friend-gettogether tomorrow. I'm thinking soup, but I haven't done a lot of them. Something beans. And warm homebaked bread.

I've got pinto, great northern, black eyed, black, split-peas and lentils. What am I making here?

Edit: Something that goes well with roux. I just made some and would like to try it out.

Cassoulet. Look up some recipes. You won't need the roux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
If I am attempting to poach an egg does the type of vinegar have to be very specific or could I use, say, rice vinegar?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Vinegar is not required to poach an egg at all, but most people claim it makes the white set faster by lowering the surface tension of the water. I remain skeptical about it, but if you want to add vinegar, you can use any type you want.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Stone Soup did a video of a side-by-side comparison of with vinegar and without. It looks like it made a difference.

But they do recommend toweling the vinegar water off the egg to get rid of vinegar taste, so it's got a downside too.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

yes posted:

Vinegar is not required to poach an egg at all, but most people claim it makes the white set faster by lowering the surface tension of the water. I remain skeptical about it, but if you want to add vinegar, you can use any type you want.

Not set faster, stay together better.

E: welp, same diff after research. Poach hard, son

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hi guys! I don't lurk GWS nearly as much as I should, you people are awesome.

Me and my roommates are thinking of making homemade eggnog this winter season. The recipes online seems simple enough, but we want to add something special to make it our own thing. Are there any neat variations someone could suggest, or ingredients that would be complimentary? I imagine we'll experiment ourselves, but, whatever. Thanks for your time!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

FAT BATMAN posted:

Me and my roommates are thinking of making homemade eggnog this winter season. The recipes online seems simple enough, but we want to add something special to make it our own thing. Are there any neat variations someone could suggest, or ingredients that would be complimentary? I imagine we'll experiment ourselves, but, whatever. Thanks for your time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuWOYeWYMZ4

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago and ordered a dish off their antipasto menu. It was a relatively simple dish - a bed of roasted red peppers (sliced, not chopped) topped with sliced italian sausauge, served hot in a miniature cast iron skillet.

Is there perhaps a common name for this recipe? Searching these ingredients on google just brings up other dishes that happen to use both.

Presumably there were various herbs tossed in; and I think their might have possibly been caramelized onion as well. Any suggestions if I were to try to replicate this on my own?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

+ something hot, like cayenne or shipotle

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

FAT BATMAN posted:

It's delicious (and possibly fatal) mixed with Bailey's. You could also make muffins with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, so my oven seems to leak a lot of heat through the top. I looked inside the oven and noticed there's a square hole in the roof of the inside of the oven, venting all this heat out. Is this normal?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, so my oven seems to leak a lot of heat through the top. I looked inside the oven and noticed there's a square hole in the roof of the inside of the oven, venting all this heat out. Is this normal?

What the hell? Did someone steal your broiler element or something?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Ovens generally vent heat/moisture out the top. Sometimes it is vented more or less directly on the back burners of the range.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Zedlic posted:

I'm making dinner for a weekly friend-gettogether tomorrow. I'm thinking soup, but I haven't done a lot of them. Something beans. And warm homebaked bread.

I've got pinto, great northern, black eyed, black, split-peas and lentils. What am I making here?

Edit: Something that goes well with roux. I just made some and would like to try it out.

Soak the black eyed peas in boiling water for two hours. Puree them with garlic, some onion, chili sauce of your liking, salt, and a bit of black pepper, then more garlic, just to be safe. Deep fry by the scoopful. Eat. SO TASTY.

Boil the lentils until tender. Drain well. Combine in food processor with garlic, sauteed onion, a bit of salt, some pepper, and equal parts walnuts. For example, if you started with 1 cup of dry lentils, use 1 cup of walnuts. Very tasty as a dip.

Start with onion, carrot, bell pepper, and celery in a large stock pot. Add thyme, and a bit of salt. Cook until the veg are soft. Add the great northern beans that you've par-cooked in fiercely boiling water for about 10 minutes. Add enough water to come up about 3 inches over the beans. Bring to a boil, and drop to medium low heat for about an hour. Add in a good hit of hickory salt when the beans are tender. Stir in the roux, and bring back to the boil. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I made the challah recipe from the Wiki yesterday, and while it tasted amazing, it didn't seem to hold together that well. It's a bit crumbly, especially when it's toasted. Could that be caused by under (or over) kneading, or just an inherent function of the oil in the recipe "shortening" the dough?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nione posted:

I know that NO SOAP is the rule. I dumped the oil, wiped it out with a paper towel, then used my dishcloth (which had been used with soap on it, but had been rinsed since then) and hot water to scrub off any stuck on food bits. I was terrified of removing the seasoning, but I think I did okay. Then I dried it really well and rubbed a little vegetable oil on it before I put it away. (I also made my husband stand in the kitchen and watch me wash it because I'm a mean kitchen nazi harpy and I don't want him ruining it by 'soaking it in the sink' after he uses it to make grilled cheese sandwiches or something.)

A good start! If it was me, I would not apply oil after using without heating it up - until you season/heat up that vegetable oil, it is pretty biological and can go rancid right on the pan if you apply it like that and let it sit for a week or two.

Pretty much the golden rule of cast iron is KILL IT WITH FIRE. We don't really give a poo poo about little food crumbs, because in the preheating step you're taking that whole pan pretty well past the temperature at which 99% of nasties can survive at.

Here's my SOP for cast iron cleaning - I clean it quick and I clean it often, as my 12" Lodge is my primary skillet and I easily do 10-12 meals a week in it.

-Use spatula/wooden spoon to scrape off food bits (metal utensils never touch my cast iron)
-Dump in a cup of water, bring up to a good pissed off boil. Take it over to the sink, dump that water. If a bunch of poo poo flakes off, that wasn't seasoning. Not proper, anyways.
-Back on the (off) burner, dump in a small handful of ordinary boring cheap salt.
-Hold pan with offhand, grab 2-3 wadded up paper towels and using circular motions, grind off all the food gunk using the salt as an abrasive. After you do this a few times, you will easily feel the point at which the rough, gunky food gets pulled off, and the friction will drop. Move on to the next spot.
-Once the whole pan's done, dump out the salt, stick it on the stove.
-Maintain by cooking no less than one pound of thick cut bacon per week.

quote:

My main question is, if I got cooked on food bits using 1/4-1/2" oil to fry something, what's going to happen if I try to sear a steak in it using significantly less oil? Should I stick to high fat items like bacon and deep frying for the first 5 uses or so until it's better seasoned? How much can I scrub the stuck on food bits without rubbing off the seasoning? Is there anything else I need to be doing?

No problem! Even on a fresh-ish season, I don't even oil the pan for steaks. That's right, bone dry. I oil the steak instead with a very light (and as even as I can get it) coat. You have only as much oil as you need for the steaks, which means that your pan sauce afterwards will be relatively low in burnt oil and bullshit, and high in flavor.

I hope this helps, cast iron owns so hard and once you learn the tricks (like preheating and cleaning quickly after usage), it becomes a wonderful kitchen tool, especially if you have a gas range and oven.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 22, 2011

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Happy Abobo posted:

I made the challah recipe from the Wiki yesterday, and while it tasted amazing, it didn't seem to hold together that well. It's a bit crumbly, especially when it's toasted. Could that be caused by under (or over) kneading, or just an inherent function of the oil in the recipe "shortening" the dough?

Yes, you didn't knead it enough. Also, bizarrely, that recipe does not have you proof the loaf before you bake it. Next time, after you weave it, let it sit with a towel over it for about 30 minutes in the same spot you let it rise.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

yes posted:

Yes, you didn't knead it enough. Also, bizarrely, that recipe does not have you proof the loaf before you bake it. Next time, after you weave it, let it sit with a towel over it for about 30 minutes in the same spot you let it rise.

Good challah requires a lot of kneading. Keep at it until the dough as as silky smooth as the skin on a young woman's wrist (that's the advice I got back when I was doing a lot of bread baking). Also, if you're making challah for religious reasons, you need to take a little piece of the dough and burn it. In the old days you tossed it into the fire, but at home it's easier to wrap a little piece in foil and let it burn in the oven before you cook the loaf. There's a blessing involved, and it has to do with the sacrifice of giving part of your bread to the temple priests, so it was an offering to God.

I'm not Jewish, but I do it anyway for TRADITION!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mach420 posted:

What the hell? Did someone steal your broiler element or something?

Naw, mine's the old kind where the broiler is on the bottom

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ovens generally vent heat/moisture out the top. Sometimes it is vented more or less directly on the back burners of the range.

Thanks. This can't be for all ovens though, can it? I think some of my friends have ovens that emit barely any heat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 22, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Barnum posted:

Butter poached white asparagus suspended in a calves liver pate. Good idea?

make a sheet of brandy-cherry gelee and sandwich the pate around it

Humboldt squid posted:

Under what circumstances (flavor, texture etc wise) would I use shallots instead of onions?

older post but you only got one response: shallots in general are sweeter and milder than most varieties of onion. I agree with the other response as seeing them kind of more as just another type of onion than a whole different thing. They are good in places where you want a raw red onion without quite the intensity of a raw red onion, and I also use them a lot finely minced into dressings. I also like to grind up the scraps and cook them forever and make caramelezed shallot and ______ jam where blank is whatever else is gonna get thrown away like orange peels or apple scraps

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks. This can't be for all ovens though, can it? I think some of my friends have ovens that emit barely any heat

I think they all have them. A lot of electric ranges vent through a hole in the center of one of the back burners. Some vent through the bottom of the rear console, if it has one.

I mean how big of a hole are we talking about here?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
4 x 4 inch hole in roof of oven, vents out of a slit beneath the console

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I have a recipe that calls for adding chopped walnuts during the stir fry step - which is fine, we want to toast them - but I thought that generally you were supposed to toast the walnuts first, then chop them?

If I toasted them first then chopped them, presumably I would just add them at the end of the stir fry step (instead of at the beginning, as the recipe calls for) to ensure they do not cook any further?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

dino. posted:

Soak the black eyed peas in boiling water for two hours. Puree them with garlic, some onion, chili sauce of your liking, salt, and a bit of black pepper, then more garlic, just to be safe. Deep fry by the scoopful. Eat. SO TASTY.

Boil the lentils until tender. Drain well. Combine in food processor with garlic, sauteed onion, a bit of salt, some pepper, and equal parts walnuts. For example, if you started with 1 cup of dry lentils, use 1 cup of walnuts. Very tasty as a dip.

Start with onion, carrot, bell pepper, and celery in a large stock pot. Add thyme, and a bit of salt. Cook until the veg are soft. Add the great northern beans that you've par-cooked in fiercely boiling water for about 10 minutes. Add enough water to come up about 3 inches over the beans. Bring to a boil, and drop to medium low heat for about an hour. Add in a good hit of hickory salt when the beans are tender. Stir in the roux, and bring back to the boil. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.

Thanks. I ended up with the safe bet of Alton Brown lentil soup, but this will help a lot in my near-future soup and dip-making endeavours.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

hosed up pretty bad last night, made rice pudding and in my sleepy-high state of mind I went to add pumpkin spice mix and I assumed it had a sprinkler lid on it.

It didn't and way too much spice got dumped in, instead of me removing as much as I could and calling it quits, I decided to see what kind of stuff I had in the house to make it more palatable. Nothing worked, I wasted food, I feel sick cause I made myself eat some of it before I threw it out. UGH!!! Tell me that you guys have done similar stuff too, right?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

heeebrew posted:

hosed up pretty bad last night, made rice pudding and in my sleepy-high state of mind I went to add pumpkin spice mix and I assumed it had a sprinkler lid on it.

It didn't and way too much spice got dumped in, instead of me removing as much as I could and calling it quits, I decided to see what kind of stuff I had in the house to make it more palatable. Nothing worked, I wasted food, I feel sick cause I made myself eat some of it before I threw it out. UGH!!! Tell me that you guys have done similar stuff too, right?

I did that with nutmeg into a batch of applesauce the other day. Had to rinse it and add as many again apples to get it to normal.

In other news, is a hand blender strong enough to make hummus? I move around quite a bit so I don't have the space to carry a full-sized blender, food processor, or mortar and pestle, but trying to make hummus in a mini-blender was a dismal failure.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Saeku posted:

I did that with nutmeg into a batch of applesauce the other day. Had to rinse it and add as many again apples to get it to normal.

In other news, is a hand blender strong enough to make hummus? I move around quite a bit so I don't have the space to carry a full-sized blender, food processor, or mortar and pestle, but trying to make hummus in a mini-blender was a dismal failure.

no way

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Potato masher

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I was at this little hole in the wall restaurant and an appetizer came with some sort of cracker-like cheese. It was about the size of an 8-inch tortilla, bent in half with bruschetta served on it. The cheese looked like the remnants of a grilled cheese sandwich, slightly charred, hard, but yet still tasty.

I can make bruschetta but how do you make that cheese thing?

I tried to make it earlier today and all it came out terrible. I grabbed some mozzarella cheese and melted it in a frying pan. The bottom half was cooked like the restaurant served but the top was still gooey. I flipped it but all that happened was the whole thing burned and it set off the smoke alarm in my apartment.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grate parmesan or another fairly dry cheese onto a silpat or parchment and bake until browned.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
I tried poaching eggs for the first time ever today. I brought a pot of water up to a boil, then brought it back down to a simmer, put a splash of vinegar in there, and got a nice vortex spinning it with a whisk. I cracked an egg into a ramekin and dumped it in going in the direction of the vortex. First egg turned out pretty well, almost completely wrapped, egg yolk still runny, nice little package. I tried poaching two eggs (one at a time) after removing that one, and both times they fell apart, with the yolk sinking out of the white and down on to the bottom of the pot, and the whites themselves kind of disintegrating. I didn't do anything different in my process with the last two eggs than the first. Any guesses as to what went wrong? Are you supposed to put more vinegar in after each egg? Should I have used fresh water each time? All three eggs were fairly fresh (from the farmer's market). Are older eggs better for this? It just seems puzzling that my first egg turned out well and the next two terrible!

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Water wasn't hot enough. Think about how much a cold egg from the fridge will lower the temperature of the water.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Saeku posted:

I guess it depends on the model: my immersion blender can make hummus, but it takes a lot of time. To get it as smooth as a food processor can in about 1/50th of the time. You'd be better off with a potato masher.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

yes posted:

Yeah, I noticed that about the recipe and let the dough get a second rise. Definitely going to knead it more next time: I tried to knead it in the food processor because I have some strange fear of hand-kneading: I'm always worried I'm going to mess it up. The next morning, I made a different egg bread recipe, tried kneading by hand, and it worked amazingly. Hell, it almost rose too much: the oven-spring almost made it hit the top of my oven.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

yes posted:

Water wasn't hot enough. Think about how much a cold egg from the fridge will lower the temperature of the water.

this, and it's true for any procedure where you're cooking batches of something in a hot liquid: blanching vegetables, frying in oil etc. you need to wait long enough for the liquid to return to temperature in between batches

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Thanks guys on the advice about the water temperature. I'll be more careful to bring it back up next time, hopefully to success!

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Somebody give me a good recipe for braised oxtail. I looked around on google but there are so many lovely recipes and I don't think any of my good cookbooks have one in them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I would kill for a proper way to do restaurant style teriyaki chicken. I love that stuff on a bad day but trolling though the net has gotten me a variety of crazy recipes. This includes using orange marmalade or cooking by boiling the chicken in the sauce to cook.

Is there a proper (or superior) method for making this style of dish? Thanks in advance!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I roasted a chicken Thursday night and half about half the carcass left because I had other things come up that kept me away from home.

Of course I generally use the bones for stock, but what's something cool I can do with the meat? I don't really care for chicken noodle soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yes
Aug 26, 2004

I usually end up using leftover chicken to make chicken salad. Bacon, mayo, red onion, celery, roasted red pepper, parsley, lemon zest on toasted bread.