Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

wdarkk posted:

I thought it got sunk because people kept posting the same stories saying "OOPS I didn't read that" Wojtek :argh:

Next one should firmly state we all know about Wojtek now in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SeanBeansShako posted:

Next one should firmly state we all know about Wojtek now in the title.

Make it a "megarule".

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
In fairness I loved every time that bear came up because I half though it was people history trolling the history thready :allears: I had even prepared some notes for a stupid story about the Polish bear who became Finlands greatest sniper after getting thrown out of a window in Prague whos favourite sport was flipping foxes up into the air. And so on and so forth.

Someone should remake that history thread

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Rabhadh posted:

In fairness I loved every time that bear came up because I half though it was people history trolling the history thready :allears: I had even prepared some notes for a stupid story about the Polish bear who became Finlands greatest sniper after getting thrown out of a window in Prague whos favourite sport was flipping foxes up into the air. And so on and so forth.

Someone should remake that history thread

I would but :effort: on making an OP and starting content.

coolatronic
Nov 28, 2007

Hiridion posted:

I don't know, at the least you'd have thought the Allies would have been concerned about the murder of tens of thousands of their soldiers in Japanese PoW camps.

Yeah, I heard the Japanese would starve PoWs, then give them lots of uncooked rice to eat, then give them a bunch of water so all the rice would expand in the PoW's stomachs.

Anyone have any other horror stories about the Japanese treatment of PoW?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

coolatronic posted:

Yeah, I heard the Japanese would starve PoWs, then give them lots of uncooked rice to eat, then give them a bunch of water so all the rice would expand in the PoW's stomachs.

Anyone have any other horror stories about the Japanese treatment of PoW?

There are so many that it literally makes me :smith: to think about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It might help if the hypothetical History thread had an index of some sort-namely, if an event was mentioned, it could be categorized in the OP so that people could reference what they want to contribute. That way we could avoid people constantly bursting in and saying "Hey, I just read about this on Cracked and bet none of you have heard of this crazy bear..."

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Just to add something to the discussion of why Japan has never been forced to confront what it did during WWII, another major factor was that many of the people who had been victimized by the Nazis actually had a seat at the table when it came to deciding what should be done. The British, French, and especially the Soviets demanded that accounts be paid in full. There were also the second-tier countries like Poland, Norway, the Netherlands, et al. who didn't get included in the four-power club but who still had to be considered when decisions were being made. Add to that the fact that allied soldiers and war correspondents had been physically present at death camps, sending back the almost incomprehensible news. That was hard to ignore.

To compare this to the Japan's situation, the opinion of the US, more specifically Douglas MacArthur, was the only real factor in deciding what would happen. Chiang Kai-Shek could have had a say, if he had insisted, but he was looking ahead to the next war against the Communists. He wasn't hung up on punishing the Japanese, and in point of fact he wasn't even averse to cooperating with the Japanese troops still in China to keep Mao from taking any more territory, at least until the Guomindang had regained the strength to take over from them. This decision on his part, which was infuriating to the populace for obvious reasons, was one of the many factors in his later defeat by the Communists. As for the others who had faced off against the Japanese, like Mao and Ho Chi Minh, the USA couldn't care less what they wanted. In the end, most of the Japanese War Crimes had East Asian victims, and vengeance for the comparatively few Europeans had been for all intents and purposes achieved--Japan was wrecked, hundreds of thousands of them were killed, and then there were trials for the leaders.

Another significant contrast was that the Japanese state still existed when the surrender was signed. Hirohito was still in office, and he could send his foreign minister and army chief of staff over to sign the instrument of unconditional surrender. Nazi Germany had completely disintegrated by the time Dönitz signed on the dotted line. Every leader of more than local significance was dead or in full flight, and the guy Hitler left in charge, of all people, was the chief of the (effectively nonexistent) navy. Any local official who wasn't in hiding was busy claiming he'd had nothing to do with anything. The upshot was that the occupying powers had to take over everything directly. Meanwhile, MacArthur goes ashore in Tokyo and he's meeting with Hirohito and issuing orders to the Japanese civil administration right away.

Third Policeman
Aug 31, 2011

I LIKE TELLING CHILDHOOD CANCER SURVIVORS THAT THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIGHT CANCER CORRECTLY. I AM A PLIGHT ON THESE FORUMS AND HOPEFULLY I WILL BE BANNED SOON.

Phobophilia posted:

Weren't Concentration Camps originally a PR-friendly term for imprisonment-without-trial camps, where a dilute population that was deemed hostile were rounded up and kept in a 'safe' place?

So the Internment camps for Japanese-Americans were by definition Concentration Camps, though the difference with Extermination camps was that while they could be shot for escaping (?), or die of malnutrition/poor medical care, they weren't being actively shot or gassed.

Well, that depends if you take into acount the Cuban war, the definition of a concentration camp and if you are trying to take into acount the plains indians.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah

SeanBeansShako posted:

Such a awesome shame. Anyone dropped a private message to the mods asking if we could have another in the future?

I'd like to know more about the mid 19th century of the United States.

Offical response:

angerbeet posted:

Maybe give it a while before starting a new thread, it was 159 pages and 8 months old. I know that's not much on a historical scale, but it was starting to get pretty repetitive.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

Offical response:

Fair enough then, maybe sometime next year.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

This thread needs more discussions about the Punic wars.

I just picked up The Ghosts of Cannae and Carthage must be destroyed. Any other suggestions?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Osprey book about the Battle of Cannae is a pretty good look at things, made me realize what an insane badass Hannibal was.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
He still lost the war though.

Carthage needed a brilliant general just to break even. All Rome needed was someone half competent at leading.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Klaus88 posted:

Carthage needed a brilliant general just to break even. All Rome needed was someone half competent at leading.

Going through The History of Rome podcasts these days, and one thing struk me, and thats how the Romans ALWAYS win in the end, no matter how bad they get hosed. Rome getting sacked by barbarians? No problem, just pay the barbarians off and then invade them later after we'd rebuild. Loosing 50000 men in one day? Meh, no problem we got more where that came from.

The podcasts doesnt go in any particular depth about roman society, but im guessing the romans had warfare tactics and army-organisation written down somewhere, so whenever there was great losses of men and officers, their knowledge of warfare didnt die with them.
Does anybody have some info on how the republican era Romans stored information; did they inscribe lots of stone tablets? Did they even have paper?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Klaus88 posted:

Scipio Africanus was way more then half competent.

Also, Hannibal was completely hamstrung by the actual leaders of Carthage, who totally didn't give him enough resources to actually build upon his crazy victories.

And Rome needed it's crazy population reserves and will to keep fighting to get back up too, the way they kept pulling new legions out of their asses has only been rivaled by the Soviet Union in WWII I think.

But obviously the deck was stacked against Carthage.

GyverMac posted:

Does anybody have some info on how the republican era Romans stored information; did they inscribe lots of stone tablets? Did they even have paper?

Papyrus. And they wrote a lot.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 23, 2011

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

GyverMac posted:

Various forms of writing mediums existed during the time.

Romans used copper or bronze tablets to keep and display public decrees. Wax tablets were also as a sort of "scratch paper," for taking notes, keeping tallies and the like. And as DarkCrawler mentioned, papyrus was used throughout the ancient world.

As far as information storage goes, there were quite a few libraries (some public, some private), with the most notable example being the Library at Alexandria. The remnants of libraries which survive today are actually quite impressive.

Bloodred77
Apr 2, 2008

GyverMac posted:

Going through The History of Rome podcasts these days, and one thing struk me, and thats how the Romans ALWAYS win in the end, no matter how bad they get hosed. Rome getting sacked by barbarians? No problem, just pay the barbarians off and then invade them later after we'd rebuild. Loosing 50000 men in one day? Meh, no problem we got more where that came from.

The podcasts doesnt go in any particular depth about roman society, but im guessing the romans had warfare tactics and army-organisation written down somewhere, so whenever there was great losses of men and officers, their knowledge of warfare didnt die with them.

I noticed the same thing listening to those podcasts. In all the roman history I've studied I'm always struck that Rome, pre empire, really won all of its battles through pure stubbornness. No matter the losses no matter the cost there were going to win and in all those circumstances were another nation would surrender or sue for peace they seem to just raise another army.

That Roman stubbornness I think was the main reason they conquered as much as they did.

Bloodred77 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 28, 2011

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

DarkCrawler posted:

Also, Hannibal was completely hamstrung by the actual leaders of Carthage, who totally didn't give him enough resources to actually build upon his crazy victories.

And Rome needed it's crazy population reserves and will to keep fighting to get back up too, the way they kept pulling new legions out of their asses has only been rivaled by the Soviet Union in WWII I think.

I'm referring to the decision to stop feeding Hannibal unprepared armies and to start fighting everywhere except where Hannibal happened to be at the time.

Also Rome made "do not gently caress with us or we will destroy everything and kill everyone you hold dear" into an institution. Must have worked since they held a large stretch of Europe and the middle east under their wings for a hundreds of years. Longer if you count the Byzantines. :v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bloodred77 posted:

That Roman stubbornness I think was the main reason they conquered as much as they did.

I have no doubt that they were stubborn, but I really don't think that their opponents were any less so. Just about anyone will be stubborn when faced by foreign invaders wanting to enslave or tax them (unless they already were slaves and/or too poor to tax, in which case, eh). How do you measure stubborness in that case?

I'm sure there are better explanations, like having sufficient resources to wage wars centuries after another, and a society well suited for such campaigns. It must also have helped to not have had too many formidable foreign enemies at a time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Klaus88 posted:

I'm referring to the decision to stop feeding Hannibal unprepared armies and to start fighting everywhere except where Hannibal happened to be at the time.

Oh yeah, the course of the campaign at first was pretty retarded:

"We need to force Hannibal into a decisive battle" :smug:

*Battle of Trebbia, Hannibal kills 30,000 Romans*

*Battle of Trasimene, Hannibal kills 15,000 Romans*

"Hey you know, this guy is pretty goddamn good at this whole war thing, maybe he's been leading us in decisive battles all the time. Perhaps we should wait and train our legions and meet him in a ground where we are prepared. Nothing comes good at throwing good soldiers at this human meatgrinder." :v:

"Nonsense, slowpoke. What are you, a human being? We need to force Hannibal into a decisive battle, he's can't have too much fight left in him." :smug:

*Battle of Cannae, Hannibal kills 50,000 motherfucking Romans, the second worst defeat experienced by Romans in all of their history*

"What was that about waiting?" :sweatdrop:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

GyverMac posted:

Well, they didn't always win. They did eventually get conquered you know. Yeah yeah, Rome as a city still exists but it's not the same thing.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

A stab-in-the-back from Carthage, you could say? :v:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

The Romans in some sort of :master: forced the Carthaginians to maintain a very small navy after the first Punic war as part of the peace treaty. This of course meant Rome and her Allies dominated the sea, forcing Hannibal to cross the alps, where half or so of his men died/deserted/gave up. Also it meant Carthage could not safely reinforce Hannibal without having to deal with a navy they were not ready to fight.

Also Scipio fighting in Spain was another :master:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

DarkCrawler posted:

Oh yeah, the course of the campaign at first was pretty retarded:

*Battle of Trebbia, Hannibal kills 30,000 Romans*
Thought it was pretty cool that after being outmaneuvered and out-strategized into an encirclement, the Roman veteran troops :clint: in the middle of it all didn't panic and run, but stood their ground, formed their "empty square" formation and were able to break out in an orderly fashion, saving 10,000 men from what could have been a total annihilation.

The next battles didn't go nearly as well though, at Lake Trasimene and Cannae the Romans got flat out owned.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SeanBeansShako posted:

So how many Legends Of The West saw action in the American Civil War then?

A fair number of the more notorious western figures saw action in the various paramilitary/militia/guerrilla conflicts going on in the Midwest. The Midwestern war didn't have the kind of body count the war in the East produced but it also didn't have a lot of rules. Banditry, torture, and massacres of civilians were common. When the war ended a lot of the guerrillas found themselves in a real ugly situation and headed West before they could be caught and hanged.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Speaking of the Civil War, Gary Brecher over at exiledonline did a neat little writeup of Ben Grierson, who showed the damned Rebs a thing or two.

Speaking of which, what do all you serious war scholars think of his column in general?

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A fair number of the more notorious western figures saw action in the various paramilitary/militia/guerrilla conflicts going on in the Midwest. The Midwestern war didn't have the kind of body count the war in the East produced but it also didn't have a lot of rules. Banditry, torture, and massacres of civilians were common. When the war ended a lot of the guerrillas found themselves in a real ugly situation and headed West before they could be caught and hanged.

Yeah, for example Jesse James and his brother Frank rode with such charming fellows as Willam Quantrill and "Bloody Bill" Anderson, and may have taken part in the Lawrence massacre, among other atrocities.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I heard (might have been in this very thread) that one of the reasons for why the Romans "always won" was that they raised new armies all the time. Traditionally in the ancient world, once your army was defeated that was it, you'd lost. But the Romans didn't play by the rules. You defeated one legion, they'd raise another and come back later.

Am I way off base here? Can someone back me up on this?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
A bit later in Roman history, but anyone want to break down the Roman/Persian wars and the late Roman civil wars for me? Specifically the disintegration of Constantine's dynasty and the death of Julian the Apostate. I read an abridged Gibbon's Decline and Fall (mostly a bet) but it cut/he never wrote in a whole lot of detail on the seemingly interminable wars on the Eastern frontier, except 'and then this general died and the Roman's had to cede this city.'

Also, should anybody feel willing, a quick compare/contrast with Mark Antony's failed Parthian campaign.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Since the history thread's history, I guess here is as good a place as any now to post this. CriticalPast, 57,000 historic videos and 7 million photos.
http://www.criticalpast.com/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

Since the history thread's history, I guess here is as good a place as any now to post this. CriticalPast, 57,000 historic videos and 7 million photos.

Why hello there, new open tab!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Retarded Pimp posted:

This is non-stop awesome. Such as the first thing I clicked on: someone trying to tow a cart with lions.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

That's awesome!

I found this: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Janes_1919/Index.html

It's the entire Royal Navy section of the 1919 edition of Jane's, pretty interesting as pretty much all of the warships that survived the war are there. It's interesting seeing all the infrastructure as well, the colonial ports and things like despatch boats, colliers etc, as well as the Dreadnoughts and first generation of aircraft carriers. being a Jane's publication it's quite dry but there's loads of pictures.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I love the page about the RN monitors.

Step 1: Find any available small hull.
Step 2: Attach large caliber gun from obsolete battleship.
Step 3: Kill huns!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I love the page about the RN monitors.

Step 1: Find any available small hull.
Step 2: Attach large caliber gun from obsolete battleship.
Step 3: Kill huns!

You'll like the Courageous Class as well (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Janes_1919/Cruisers/Couragious_Cl.html)

Basically a massive monitor, two 15 in turrets on a light cruiser hull. Another of Jackie Fisher's ideas! The pic of Glorious is especially good as you can see the planes that were flown off the top of the turrets (this was actually fairly common in WW1).

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The navies of WWI were quite an advance in naval technology, but it didn't matter much since naval thinking among all the Great Powers was something like "Look at my shiny boat with all these big guns. What? You want to send her into battle where she might be sunk? Surely not old chap, our navy is the pride of the nation, we can't afford to get any ships sunk. Besides, we need to show her off to visiting dignitaries so that the world knows how great our navy is."

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
^
I think part of it is also economics, at least with the larger ships. You have what is basically the most powerful weapon of the day, but they're beasts to build, both in time and resources and the thought of losing one is pretty bad given the replacement time. Heck this even rings true when playing more advanced war games, like in the Hearts of Iron series.

Lobster God posted:

That's awesome!

I found this: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Janes_1919/Index.html.

Wow this is fantastic, great link.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I heard (might have been in this very thread) that one of the reasons for why the Romans "always won" was that they raised new armies all the time. Traditionally in the ancient world, once your army was defeated that was it, you'd lost. But the Romans didn't play by the rules. You defeated one legion, they'd raise another and come back later.

Am I way off base here? Can someone back me up on this?

I have also heard this, but I can't remember from where, could have been a lovely history channel special for all I know. It doesn't strike me as being too accurate, at least not for most of Rome's history. Greeks would sometimes just have single dudes fight and which ever dude won would decide who won a battle, but I know Romans did not practice that. Roman soldiers didn't even learn single combat ifaik, they only learned how to fight in formation. I can't imagine too many groups would just give up after Rome raised another legion, instead of raising another army themselves, assuming they could

Modern Day Hercules fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Amused to Death posted:

^
I think part of it is also economics, at least with the larger ships. You have what is basically the most powerful weapon of the day, but they're beasts to build, both in time and resources and the thought of losing one is pretty bad given the replacement time. Heck this even rings true when playing more advanced war games, like in the Hearts of Iron series.

That is part of it, but the thinking of the Royal Navy and Kaiserliche Marine was incredibly risk-averse to the point of absurdity. The best example of this would be the pursuit of the SMS Goeben, where during the first days of the war the Royal Navy followed a crippled German battlecruiser for days without engaging them, when the RN could have probably won the battle had they chosen to attack. Churchill is partly to blame here, since he gave the ambiguous order that the ships were not to engage 'superior forces'. The Goeben ended up sailing into Istanbul, where it was symbolically handed over to the Ottomans and was probably the deciding factor in getting them to side with Germany. It was probably the most important naval voyage of the 20th century, since the closing of the straits utterly decimated Russian trade, contributing to their revolution, and after the fall of the Ottoman Empire the middle east was divided into the current borders, which has huge effects even today.

• Locked thread