Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I used to think like that but then i read this and now i don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

Here's something fun:

Who is the only Achewood character featured in the FIRST Achewood comic to have alt text?

NO loving CHEATING. IF YOU DON'T KNOW, THAT'S FINE, NEITHER DID I.

Either guess, or state with certainty.

It's gotta be Ray.

gently caress, I miss this comic.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

rotinaj posted:

It's gotta be Ray.

gently caress, I miss this comic.

Nah, Ray and Roast Beef weren't around in the beginning. It's gotta be Philippe, Cornelius, or Teodor.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Well then I'll say Pat.

(And I thought Roast Beef was always around, he just didn't have a name at first.)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Pretty sure it's Teodor in the weird one with the photo background.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Howard Beale posted:

Well then I'll say Pat.

(And I thought Roast Beef was always around, he just didn't have a name at first.)

I thought Beef and Ray showed up at the same time.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Dominion posted:

I thought Beef and Ray showed up at the same time.

They did. Beef, Ray and Pat all appeared in the same strip which was many months after the strip debuted with Connie, Lyle, Phillippe and T as the stars.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I don't know if they were the stars so much as they lived at Onstad's house during a period when he was figuring out what and who his comic would be about :) I do love that it's his house, and that he figures very rarely into the story.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

glug posted:

I don't know if they were the stars so much as they lived at Onstad's house during a period when he was figuring out what and who his comic would be about :) I do love that it's his house, and that he figures very rarely into the story.

I've never quite grasped how the world of Achewood works in terms of apparently being the actual Onstad's house and the characters being his stuffed toys and cats, but also a world scaled down to them at the same time. Is this something that gets explained in the subscription material I can't be bothered paying for?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ChuckDHead posted:

I've never quite grasped how the world of Achewood works in terms of apparently being the actual Onstad's house and the characters being his stuffed toys and cats, but also a world scaled down to them at the same time. Is this something that gets explained in the subscription material I can't be bothered paying for?

No, that whole conceit sort of just fell away after a while. Connie/Lyle/Phillipe/Teodor are stuffed animals and live in Onstad's house, but Ray and Roast Beef are actual cats, who drive Escalades and release multiplatinum albums and shop for wedding gifts at Sears.

Also Phillipe has a mother who mails him care packages. Is she also a stuffed animal?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Stuffed animals don't have children so I doubt it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That stuff was sort of addressed in the actual comic but like Dominion said it sort of fell away over time.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Onstad first explains the Underground, where the cats hang out, in 2003. He mapped it out in 2005 with two special strips. Philippe drove his car down once to sit session with the dirtiest dudes in town.

Basically the animals live above ground in Achewood and hide from the human world (there's a few early strips where Beef goes out driving and wears a really creepy person suit.) But the Underground is their own city with businesses and restaurants and stuff. It's where everybody's Subways are.

I know that doesn't address the stuffed animal issue, but I don't think it has anything to do with the stuffed animals.

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 13, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Howard Beale posted:

Onstad first explains the Underground, where the cats hang out, in 2003. He mapped it out in 2005 with two special strips. Philippe drove his car down once to sit session with the dirtiest dudes in town.

Basically the animals live above ground in Achewood and hide from the human world (there's a few early strips where Beef goes out driving and wears a really creepy person suit.) But the Underground is their own city with businesses and restaurants and stuff. It's where everybody's Subways are.

I know that doesn't address the stuffed animal issue, but I don't think it has anything to do with the stuffed animals.

Yeah, but Ray rides around in Airwolf. I assume that means he's in the "real world" skies, unless the Underground is meant to be a parallel dimension or something rather than just literally underground.

E: of course, the actual answer is that Onstad just stopped caring about that detail and wanted to write strips about a cat flying a helicopter, cosmology be damned, which I wholeheartedly support.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 13, 2011

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Dominion posted:

E: of course, the actual answer is that Onstad just stopped caring about that detail and wanted to write strips about a cat flying a helicopter, cosmology be damned, which I wholeheartedly support.

Exactly! :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Basically it depends on which part of the archive you're reading.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
To answer the trivia question:

This strip was the earliest use of alt text that I could find. The answer lies within...

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Going back through the archives, god these Oasis strips are loving brilliant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

"It's just a comic, I should really just relax."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

DocFrance posted:

"It's just a comic, I should really just relax."

"Teodor! Phillipe! Cor-ne-li-us! Lyyyyyyyyyllllle!"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Just came upon the creepy Nolan arc ("Nolan from the Internet? Ray Smuckles, not of the internet.), which was followed by Cornelius freaking out about his Star Wars tattoo and hitting himself with the most painful part of the loafer

I miss Achewood.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
In case you haven't seen it yet:

Alt-text: I always wanted to impress them with how well I could hear, didn't you?

And this was written by none other than... the guy from XKCD, of all comics. I miss Achewood.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Wow, that's pretty good for Randal, though dang Beef serves Ray pretty hard there.

I'm so glad Philippe gets to go to Hogwarts! :v:

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 17, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I can't believe that loving Randall has written the best Achewood strip of the year.

Roast Beef's "Subtlety is your middle name" bit is really, really funny and a really perfect Roast Beef line.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ChuckDHead posted:

I can't believe that loving Randall has written the best Achewood strip of the year.

Roast Beef's "Subtlety is your middle name" bit is really, really funny and a really perfect Roast Beef line.

That's not too difficult when Onstad has only written... what, two? Three?!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
If it helps that comic originally appeared on XKCD during its parody week in 2006.

....No matter where we go: archives.

H O TAFT
Dec 20, 2007
If you're just joining us, it's 4:47 in the A.M. and you're watching Perspectives.
Not to be hypercritical but the first panel in that Randall Munroe comic, minus the Hogwarts part, is totally a Jerry Seinfeld bit. Still, "These words you got are crazy" is a valid original contribution to American letters as far as I know.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Roast Beef talking in the same font size as Ray? He's getting ideas above his station.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Boi Hole posted:

Roast Beef talking in the same font size as Ray? He's getting ideas above his station.

You were saying...?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dodgeball posted:

You were saying...?

Hey thanks for linking to one of my favourite arcs ever. Time to start re-reading Achewood!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to thank achewood for informing me that the correct way to talk on the phone is while wearing a jacket and sipping a vodka martini.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Incidentally, I used Téodor's "Ray Steak" recipe today (although, I didn't have chicken stock, so I used watered down worcestershire sauce).

Aside from all the smoke in my house after searing a steak for 10 minutes, it was pretty goddamn good.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Dodgeball posted:

I didn't have chicken stock, so I used watered down worcestershire sauce

Is this actually in the recipe, or are you just a crazy person?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Doc Faustus posted:

Is this actually in the recipe, or are you just a crazy person?

You're supposed to use chicken stock to deglaze the pan and to provide a base for the sauce that you pour onto the steak once you cook some mushrooms in it.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Dodgeball posted:

You're supposed to use chicken stock to deglaze the pan and to provide a base for the sauce that you pour onto the steak once you cook some mushrooms in it.

I don't think anyone is shocked at that, only at the idea that dilute Worcestershire is in any way a substitute for chicken stock.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Gomi posted:

I don't think anyone is shocked at that, only at the idea that dilute Worcestershire is in any way a substitute for chicken stock.

I worked with what I had and it turned out great.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Gomi posted:

Substituting worcestershire sauce for chicken stock is kinda like the state of achewood right now.

hella crazy.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bitmap posted:

Substituting worcestershire sauce for chicken stock is kinda like the state of achewood right now.

hella crazy.

Actually a more apt metaphor would be substituting it for nothing

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
So has Onstad lost his house yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Poor Onstad's daughter. :smith: