Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I found a couple fun doom2 wads.

One adds all the monsters from heretic/hexen/doom/wolf3d, in a unique map(s).

The other is a complete Blake Stone conversion.

I will host these later today.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

poptart_fairy posted:

I just want Romero to get his fuckin' canon straight. :colbert:

The only cannon Doom needs is a hand cannon. :c00lbert:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Ddraig posted:

I'm starting to think Romero had more influence over id than we'd like to admit. Virtually every id game since he left hasn't really gotten the core essence of what made Doom/Quake fun originally.

Quake 2 had that ridiculous Strogg plot that has tainted the series as a whole, Doom 3 was a pitch black monster closet with terrible pacing, Rage was great but had the worst ending I think I've ever seen in a game, and now Doom 4 might be more cinematic?

I don't know how impossible it would be, but I think it's a huge mistake to make doom 4 without John Romero as a level designer. Sure he made some major missteps post-id but come the gently caress on, its doom and id's current roster of level designers don't seem to get it.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Quake 1 had the best gibs, those bouncing chunks of meat are much more fun than shooting off limbs in SoF.

I've never managed to play through the Doom 2 city levels because of how abysmal they are, gently caress Sandy Petersen forever. It's such a shame because Doom 2's mid-tier enemies and SSG make the gunplay so much better compared to Doom. I think id perfected enemy/weapon balance in Doom 2 and deathmatch in Quake 3. Well, here goes attempt #3 of completing every Doom 2 level.

Edit: Carmack talking about idtech 5 running at only 30 fps for Doom's singleplayer because it needs to render 30 enemies at once has got me super pumped, with or without Romero.

Paul Pot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 19, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

Quake 1 had the best gibs, those bouncing chunks of meat are much more fun than shooting off limbs in SoF.

I've never managed to play through the Doom 2 city levels because of how abysmal they are, gently caress Sandy Petersen forever. It's such a shame because Doom 2's mid-tier enemies and SSG make the gunplay so much better compared to Doom. I think id perfected enemy/weapon balance in Doom 2 and deathmatch in Quake 3. Well, here goes attempt #3 of completing every Doom 2 level.

Edit: Carmack talking about idtech 5 running at only 30 fps for Doom's singleplayer because it needs to render 30 enemies at once has got me super pumped, with or without Romero.

I'll host a Brutal Doom server just to get past the second half of Doom 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Doom plot:

Rip and tear!

Alternate plot: Press 'R' for Smash mode :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo the Rip and Tear kill against Hell Knights is unbelievably :black101:. Ripping their goddamn spine out, Predator style, after dodging their own attack. Please tell me there's one against the Cyberdemon.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazvall posted:

I'll host a Brutal Doom server just to get past the second half of Doom 2.

Eh, just skip the regular Doom 2 levels entirely. Kick it up a notch - if you're running Brutal Doom, throw the ZPack or some other modern level set into the mix. Even the weakest levels of ZPack are far better than the worst of Doom 2.

Much less key-hunting and getting lost, too. If it's co-op with respawning ammo/health, Nightmare mode might be fun, too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any other map pack that is compatible with Brutal Doom? I have the Master Levels of Doom in my old CD from Doom Trilogy (and steam version) but after playing a bunch of them... well, i prefer something like the ZPack.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Is there any other map pack that is compatible with Brutal Doom? I have the Master Levels of Doom in my old CD from Doom Trilogy (and steam version) but after playing a bunch of them... well, i prefer something like the ZPack.

Almost all map packs are compatible with Brutal Doom.

Epic 2 (most commonly used alongside the NAZIS! mod, which isn't co-op compatible) is pretty sweet. The Scythe series. UAC Ultra is pretty good. Sadly there aren't many that really use jumping/ducking/ZDoom functions as well as ZPack, though.

The community in general seems to resist ZDoom-only stuff quite fiercely.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 19, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Guillermus posted:

Depends on how you define "compatible" but, most map packs seem to be. Hell, Dominic White posted a video of him playing ZPack + Brutal Doom. I've used it on Scythe, Scythe 2, Scythe-X, EPIC, The Ultimate Torment and Torture...it won't apply changes or fatalities to new enemies, but big deal.

The important thing is that you load the map pack before Brutal Doom (at least from personal experience.) If you select Brutal Doom's .pk3 and then the map pack when you drag / drop them over your executable, you seem to get stuck on missions where you're supposed to die to end the level.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

poptart_fairy posted:

Holy poo poo the Rip and Tear kill against Hell Knights is unbelievably :black101:. Ripping their goddamn spine out, Predator style, after dodging their own attack. Please tell me there's one against the Cyberdemon.

It would be funny if there wasn't, but you tried to do one and you went to rip his guts out but your fist bounces off.

e: One of the things I miss about these old style games is that there were often multiple level designers and each one left their mark/style on the level as a whole. You can quite easily tell a Romero level from a McGee level, for example.

Romero's levels were the best, apart from Tenements. gently caress that level.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I know it's somewhat outside of the scope of this thread, but TF2 has the best gibs - recognisable chunks from their respective owners, along with signs to point to your specific kidney and/or spleen.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Starhawk64 posted:

EKG I believe was that cheat. Stood for "Engine Killing Gibs." :gibs:

ROTT does have very good gibs, and I think it's the first game to have them flying all over place, rather than being a canned animation like in Doom. Also, the dismembered arms flip you off if you look closely.

Indeed they do:

Best gibs ever.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Rather Dashing posted:

I know it's somewhat outside of the scope of this thread, but TF2 has the best gibs - recognisable chunks from their respective owners, along with signs to point to your specific kidney and/or spleen.

There's a neat little joke they put in game. If you gib the Scout sometimes you will see a dove fly away.

It's based on this video

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really like Fallout 3 and New Vegas's gibs. It's funny to be wandering around, look down, and say "Oh, that chunk of brain belongs to the Legion troop I just shot in the face!" and finding random arms/legs strewn around a battlefield.

e. of course the king of death animations is the original Fallout and Fallout 2 even if they don't qualify for this thread. Those critical eye-shots made the most satisfying wet thump noise ever, and the resulting animations were quite awesome.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Code Jockey posted:

e. of course the king of death animations is the original Fallout and Fallout 2 even if they don't qualify for this thread. Those critical eye-shots made the most satisfying wet thump noise ever, and the resulting animations were quite awesome.

Or that wet pop when you smashed a rat. Actually, pretty much every kill animation in FO and FO2 was magical.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pff.. Best gibs were in Fallout 2 and Jagged Alliance 2…

…but not being FPSes, they're probably disqualified anyway.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paul Pot posted:

They should release a demake-style wad of all the Doom 4 levels for Doom 2/GZdoom et al when that game comes out. It should be a preorder bonus.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Some of the later city levels were actually quite good and the really bad ones aren't a complete pain with iddt on.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This Sunday, October 23rd, starting @ 4pm EST is Quake 2 Mod Love Weekend. I know Q2 gets a lot of grief here, but if there was nothing outstanding about the game, that sentiment certainly didn't apply to the mods, so no need for rose-tinted glasses. No need for poo poo-tinted glasses, either. There will be more than enough BROWN for everybody.

Lineup so far is Action Quake 2 (http://www.fileplanet.com/74222/0/0/0/1/section/Mod_Files), GLOOM (http://www.planetgloom.com/), Rocket Arena (http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/7546) and JAILBREAK. Files for Jailbreak, QPong and Catch the Chicken here.

Source Ports - R1Q2 (http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/)
EGL Quake 2 (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/q2/ - Scroll down to EGL, download individual files)

Lastly, if anyone has Plat or direct contact with R1CH (R1Q2, long time GLOOM sever and website host, Lost Continents TF2 servers host, all around total dude): invite him to this event, thank him for all he's done for shut-ins with internet access, or if you're feeling extra generous help him pay his bills.

treat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 23, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Rocket Arena?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
When I do the fatality on Barons in Brutal Doom, I find myself wishing I could keep using the spine and skull like a flail for a few hits.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I decided tonight to hook up my old xbox emulation box to my little Commodore monitor in my office. "What should I play first," I wondered, "I want to see how stuff looks on this monitor"

I picked SNES Doom. "Haha, I've never played this before, I wonder how it is?" I thought, in my naivety.

I regret my decision. Boy oh boy is it bad. :gonk: I mean technically it's amazing they got what they got running on the SNES, but... yeeeeeech. Between the godawful low res textures [which I understand, I mean I get that, but drat still], the 4fps framerate and the enormous amounts of lag [shoot, wait, hear gunshot] and music playing at random tempo... I'll take brutal gzdoom thanks

[was any of the slowdown present on an actual cart or is it all a result of emulation?]

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

I decided tonight to hook up my old xbox emulation box to my little Commodore monitor in my office. "What should I play first," I wondered, "I want to see how stuff looks on this monitor"

I picked SNES Doom. "Haha, I've never played this before, I wonder how it is?" I thought, in my naivety.

I regret my decision. Boy oh boy is it bad. :gonk: I mean technically it's amazing they got what they got running on the SNES, but... yeeeeeech. Between the godawful low res textures [which I understand, I mean I get that, but drat still], the 4fps framerate and the enormous amounts of lag [shoot, wait, hear gunshot] and music playing at random tempo... I'll take brutal gzdoom thanks

[was any of the slowdown present on an actual cart or is it all a result of emulation?]

FUN FACT: The Doom SNES port doesn't not use the Doom engine at all. The developers made their own engine and showed it off to iD in hopes of making a Doom port with it. iD was impressed so they gave them the go-ahead. That's why it has way more content than the other console ports, but feels clunkier than Doom on the PC does.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is Doom 64 worth playing?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

Via Doom64EX? Yeah, well worth a look. It's a bit slower, a lot darker, and generally more atmospheric than classic Doom.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Code Jockey posted:

It was definitely present on the actual game. SNES Doom was the only version I was able to play until PSX Doom came out because we didn't have a computer at the time. I remember being utterly amazed at how good PSX Doom played and looked. Although the shotgun in the PSX version did sound kind of weak.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Code Jockey posted:

If I remember right, all SuperFX games (with the exception of Yoshi's Island) run at 15 or 20 frames per second. A lot of emulators have trouble emulating SFX games at the proper clock speed, and those that attempt to (i.e. bsnes) tend to cripple your computer anyway. So yeah, the original cartridge was slow as gently caress, but chances are it's going to be even shittier on an emulator.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Dominic White posted:

Via Doom64EX? Yeah, well worth a look. It's a bit slower, a lot darker, and generally more atmospheric than classic Doom.
It seems like they attempted this with Doom 3, but 64 did it so much better (as much as I enjoyed Doom 3.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Purple D. Link posted:

It seems like they attempted this with Doom 3, but 64 did it so much better (as much as I enjoyed Doom 3.)

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3 :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paul Pot posted:

If'n you mean playing it on an actual N64, I think it is. The game is way too dark, though, so crank that brightness up. If I remember right, the super shotgun in that game reloads faster than in Doom 2, which is pretty badass.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

Just make sure to find the demon keys. Seriously, you want the demon keys.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3 :colbert:

Well, if not quite Doom 3, then it's an interesting look at what Doom 2 would have been like on a more powerful system a few years later. No new enemies and only one new gun, but yeah, it does the grimdark atmosphere better.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

One thing I loved/hated about early FPSes is that the level designs made no logical sense. Take Rise of the Triad for exampe, all the levels are basically trap-filled stone corridors. Grated, the bad guys are hanging out in a castle, but there's no excuse why there's moving walls made of lava and floating hover pads everywhere. In Doom the levels kinda make sense, but eventually they turn into mazes, but you can blame that n Hell invading and corrupting everything. I really like the levels in Duke Nukem 3D because they are the right blend between levels modeled after real places and the maze-like design of classic FPSes.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 22, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

One thing I loved/hated about early FPSes is that the level designs made no logical sense. Take Rise of the Triad for exampe, all the levels are basically trap-filled stone corridors. Grated, the bad guys are hanging out in a castle, but there's no excuse why there's moving walls made of lava and floating hover pads everywhere. In Doom the levels kinda make sense, but eventually they turn into mazes, but you can blame that n Hell invading and corrupting everything. I really like the levels in Duke Nukem 3D because they are the right blend between levels modeled after real places and the maze-like design of classic FPSes.

Honestly, I don't think ROTT was even meant to make any sense. The games depicts a secret sect of neo-nazis living in a giant castle filled with magic mushrooms, trampolines and comedy robots, all led by an ancient monk that's actually a giant caterpillar :v:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

drat you all for making me download Doom 64. There goes my night.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Seriously, some of the Doom levels are loving crazy in complexity and backtracking. I have no loving idea how par times are managed most of the time. It makes me feel like an idiot when I take 40 minutes on a level trying to figure out what to do and then tha par time is about 2 minutes or something.

I did get finish episode 1 of Doom 2 using Brutal Doom last night. I figured the ability to jump would break the levels but for some I found it made them marginally more tolerable. A lot of the city levels are loving annoying without being able to jump.

Also I'm surprised that the Icon of Sin was no less difficult despite being able to jump and aim with the mouse.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ddraig posted:

I have no loving idea how par times are managed most of the time.

"John Romero generated the par times by completing each level as fast as possible, rounding off the resulting time and adding 30 seconds."

:madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Ddraig posted:

Seriously, some of the Doom levels are loving crazy in complexity and backtracking. I have no loving idea how par times are managed most of the time. It makes me feel like an idiot when I take 40 minutes on a level trying to figure out what to do and then tha par time is about 2 minutes or something.

Keep in mind the par times were presumably done by whoever actually made the level themself, then rounded down. They're really just there for the id designers to show off.

edit: What he said. ^^

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 23, 2011