Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Just what exactly is it about anime that attracts the most horribly broken people ever? It's really fascinating. Someone needs to do a scientific study about this poo poo.

(this thread is amazing)

A lot of anime fans have problems in real life and retreat into these fantasy worlds where everything is black-and-white, the protagonist wins no matter the odds, everyone can be broken down into a one-dimensional stereotype without any depth of personality whatsoever, etc. You can see a lot of this with Japanese otaku and the folks at TV Tropes.

They begin neglecting their real-life responsibilities, get worse, and subsequently become even more obsessed with anime; it's a positive feedback loop that ends with people like the OP's friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Just what exactly is it about anime that attracts the most horribly broken people ever? It's really fascinating. Someone needs to do a scientific study about this poo poo.

(this thread is amazing)

I suspect it's the simplistic melodrama and the juxtaposition posed by the perceived emotional intensity of anime vs. American animation. G.I. Joe never featured character depth or death until the movie happened (same for Transformers). I think it grabs onto teenagers with a kung-fu grip at a vulnerable time.

[e]: depth=/=death, derp.

Zotwoz posted:

A lot of anime fans have problems in real life and retreat into these fantasy worlds where everything is black-and-white, the protagonist wins no matter the odds, everyone can be broken down into a one-dimensional stereotype without any depth of personality whatsoever, etc. You can see a lot of this with Japanese otaku and the folks at TV Tropes.

They begin neglecting their real-life responsibilities, get worse, and subsequently become even more obsessed with anime; it's a positive feedback loop that ends with people like the OP's friend.

Also, this.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 22, 2011

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The best Gundam protagonist is Domon. :colbert:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I suspect it's the simplistic melodrama and the juxtaposition posed by the perceived emotional intensity of anime vs. American animation. G.I. Joe never featured character depth or death until the movie happened (same for Transformers). I think it grabs onto teenagers with a kung-fu grip at a vulnerable time.

Anime: simplistic enough for kids, dark and edgy enough for really crazy kids.

When I was in elementary school I liked Yu-Gi-Oh!, and it was a beacon for really disturbed kids who liked it because in-between card games the characters cut themselves and tried to kill people who picked on them, just like the audience. I met two different girls who actually believed they were Yu-Gi-Oh! characters. Unfortunately, I don't have any funny stories about them -- it was just disturbing and sad.

edit: Actually, one of them sent my family a Christmas card with Yu-Gi-Oh! characters having crossdressing sex on it. But other than that it was just disturbing and sad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Saeku posted:

edit: Actually, one of them sent my family a Christmas card with Yu-Gi-Oh! characters having crossdressing sex on it. But other than that it was just disturbing and sad.

You can't say things like this without posting it as horrific proof of their actions. On a Christmas card? Really? :psyduck:

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011
There is one thing I have always wondered about these people and maybe one of you guys can fill me in here since I have never known anybody who actually likes anime other than my sister, who is normal besides liking bad cartoons.

When these people are obsessing over their cartoon character husbands or wives or whatever, do they see them in their heads as cartoons or do they create them into actual human likeness? I mean, do they really think this brightly colored cartoon character is going to just waltz around in the real world like it's normal or do they at least maybe think of Brad Pitt with a hosed up hairdo and magic powers?

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Corbid Muriosity posted:

There is one thing I have always wondered about these people and maybe one of you guys can fill me in here since I have never known anybody who actually likes anime other than my sister, who is normal besides liking bad cartoons.

When these people are obsessing over their cartoon character husbands or wives or whatever, do they see them in their heads as cartoons or do they create them into actual human likeness? I mean, do they really think this brightly colored cartoon character is going to just waltz around in the real world like it's normal or do they at least maybe think of Brad Pitt with a hosed up hairdo and magic powers?

The caption for the third one says, "Why should I be unhappy? She's my girlfriend." So yes, it is for real and it is terrible.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's not just anime, it's just that anime fans are loud enough and exposed enough on the Internet. I spent two years in university in a small class with a girl who was absolutely obsessed with India and Sai Baba's teachings. Absolutely insufferable and probably as nuts as Denise and the FF7 house girls.

Yeah I mean, go to the fandom secrets thread in PYF. People can be obsessed over almost anything, and in hosed up ways.

Corbid Muriosity posted:

They believe they're in love with an anime character. The irrationality of their cartoon appearance clashing with real life kind of doesn't matter at that point. That's only something a normal person would worry about, and a normal person would never be in that situation.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

SRM posted:

You can't say things like this without posting it as horrific proof of their actions. On a Christmas card? Really? :psyduck:

You think I would keep that? It went in the shredder before my mom could see it.

The person who sent it to me probably didn't understand the inappropriateness since in my short encounter with her family, they seemed to support her in her delusions -- her parents and sister all played Yu-Gi-Oh! casually and called her by her anime character name. The entire thing was bizarre even to me at the time, but I guess when your kid suddenly declares that she's a cartoon character it must be hard to decide what to do about it.

Anyhow, this girl was crazy but she wasn't an rear end in a top hat. I'm excited to hear more stories about OP's douchebag nutter friend.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Zotwoz posted:

The caption for the third one says, "Why should I be unhappy? She's my girlfriend." So yes, it is for real and it is terrible.

drat you for reminding me of that terrible Waifu song. In case anybody's curious, look up "3D can't beat a waifu."

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011

Adus posted:

They believe they're in love with an anime character. The irrationality of their cartoon appearance clashing with real life kind of doesn't matter at that point. That's only something a normal person would worry about, and a normal person would never be in that situation.

Ahh, okay. Makes sense. I was just curious because it got me to thinking back to when I was a kid and would run around the house pretending to be a G.I. Joe. In my head the imaginary G.I. Joes who used to run around and kill Cobra with me were always converted into human form. Even when I was pretending to be a Ninja Turtle I would think of them as more realistic versions of the live action movie characters.

Elite Einherjar
Dec 1, 2009

Corbid Muriosity posted:

Ahh, okay. Makes sense. I was just curious because it got me to thinking back to when I was a kid and would run around the house pretending to be a G.I. Joe. In my head the imaginary G.I. Joes who used to run around and kill Cobra with me were always converted into human form. Even when I was pretending to be a Ninja Turtle I would think of them as more realistic versions of the live action movie characters.

You could also be a more visual/spatial thinker than they are, even in terms of imagination. I'm an audio thinker and would have an easier time going along with the mental image of that kid from Avatar jumping out of my TV and beating up my cat than you may be able to.

(Also, they're crazy.)

porkbun
Aug 6, 2006

The Triumphant posted:

I haven't seen the show since I was like 10 but I think he's also really effeminate and really whiny.

Nah Heero's the one with no emotions who only cares about completing the missions and speaks in a monotone. I think you are thinking of the blonde Arabic one.

Zotwoz posted:

This makes me sad. :( I'm sure if they tried they could get a nice real lady.

BTW Here's a video about the third pictures is taken from. He went on a talk show to talk about his relationship. He's married to his pillow lady and even took pictures of the pillow in real a wedding dress:

The entire show: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2D46F6DAF4E692DB

Going on a date
http://youtu.be/PTcLzTYTzvQ?t=6m43s

Taking Wedding photos
http://youtu.be/YS2q1YIJxCc?t=2m41s

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Corbid Muriosity posted:

It's also possible they imagine themselves an an anime character when interacting with other anime characters.

The "world" Denise believed she was truly from was probably an anime world.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
e: hahah wrong thread

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Zotwoz posted:

As if the four bowls weren't enough for him, he's probably going to polish of her meal as well...

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE

Some time after the Birthday Incident, Denise decided I was worthy of understanding how the world worked. Since I had 'lost my memory', she would do her best to restore it. You know, in her infinite benevolence and everything.

Please bear with me, I've done my best to explain it concisely. These are Denise's principle ideas:

x. There are nearly infinite levels of existence that exist simultaneously. These levels are multiple dimensions which contain variations on the tangible realm as we understand it. For example, there is a dimension in which Hitler never existed, one in which he won the war, one in which dinosaurs never went extinct... All down to relatively tiny differences like for example, a dimension in which nothing is different except that I was born a male.
This sounds kind of cool to me. It doesn't harm anybody to think that and it's an interesting take on the nature of existence.

x. Whenever someone thinks up an idea, it becomes real by way of creating these dimensions from thin air more or less and that just the act of thinking does this. Denise postulates that when someone imagines a fantasy world, or dreams up a person or animal, a dimension is instantly created from the void that contains these fantasy things in it. This would make for a cool plot device in a book or something.

x. The more people think about the same thing, the closer its dimension comes towards tangibility. She believes that when enough people have conceptualised a particular world, the characters and things within it will begin to develop souls and spirits and poo poo. It's here that the What the Christ factor really starts to kick in hard for me.

x. With all the above considered, it then follows that books, films, TV shows, games and anime are not only real, but the source material has been exposed to thousands and in some cases millions of minds, thus making their respective worlds very close to the tangible realm.

Denise has her own weird, arbitrary 'quality control' system that applies to this however. She believes that a world only becomes manifest if there is a certain amount of effort put into the history, traditions and etc during initial creation. Thus -- using examples she has quoted to me herself -- things like Lord of the Rings are real, and things like Pokémon are not. She says a dimension exists for Pokémon, as too many people have conceptualised it for it not to exist, but none of the characters have souls because the world is too lacking in substance. So they can't travel the astral aether or contact beings from other dimensions. Once people forget about Pokémon, Denise says, its dimension will cease to exist.

Strangely, however, this 'rule' did not apply to the ultragay animu yaoi point-and-click game that her most recent hazubando is from. I guess his metaphysical wang-power was such that he could just bust on through the space-time continuum in order to astrally impregnate Denise like it weren't no thang. But, we'll get to that a little later.

x. Denise believes that there is an Astral realm that exists almost like a layer between all the dimensions. It is ever-expanding, as new dimensions are being created constantly. It is through this realm that beings from across the chasm, as it were, can communicate with one another. Denise believes that some characters can project their spirits into the tangible world by using the Astral realm somehow. They, of course, use this phenomenal power to watch middle schoolers skip class, shirk homework, and talk about the sex they aren't having.

x. Denise believes that herself, Kat and I are the direct children of old gods. More or less like angels on earth. She believes that only we have the power to cast our spirits freely throughout the dimensions and that we are the only beings who concretely exist somehow in all dimensions. There isn't a single one, she says, where her, Kat, or I, are dead in them for example. Supaa Supesharu Sunofurekku go~*~*~*!

MEET THE FUCKERS

Denise soon started talking to me about Melissa, who is her cousin. At first I thought Melissa was her magical fairy cousin from sparkle land as when Denise talks about people she makes no distinction between talking about people from Earth or people from animu. Often the only way you'd know the difference is if you know the names involved. She'd say stuff like, "Legolas and I went to the mall today, he said he liked this book I saw and that I should read it." Because Legolas was one of the horde of fictional men who slaver after her pussy and was tagging along that day to take interest in whatever mundane poo poo it was she was doing. Also the fact that nobody except Kat and I ever hung out with Denise was a pretty strong indication that even if we didn't know the name it was probably some cartoon rear end in a top hat she was talking about.

But, it became apparent that Melissa was actual flesh and blood and is, as far as I know, the first person Denise ever talked to about animu boyfriends. It was also when she began talking to me about Melissa that Denise introduced the concept of cross-dimensional lives, complete with cross-dimensional physical forms and histories. In essence this was her way of inserting a Mary-Sue into everything she liked ever and claiming herself an expert on whatever it was because she totally lived there you guys. So if Kat and I were ever talking about a show or book or whatever that we liked and suggested things about it when discussing characters or plot points or whatever, as you do, Denise had to butt in and correct us to whatever the gently caress weird canon was going on in her head. Such canon usually involved the character being completely in love with her and whether or not the feelings were returned if the character was male, or if the character was female she would talk about whatever powers she had in that universe that upstaged the characters' own and made them redundant. Or, what a vapid bitch they were for being involved with the male protagonist.

Out of some perverse form of respect -- at least I can only guess that's what her motivation was -- Denise said she had little to no presence in the realm of the show I really liked at the time and would drop hints that in the "Great Legends" (read: poo poo she made up) pertaining to that realm, there existed a goddess of wings character who sounded suspiciously like me, hint hint. So in essence she was giving me license to claim Super Ultimate Snowflake Queendom over the universe of my favourite show.
Um, thanks, I think...? When I didn't take up the throne, she began telling me occasional tales of my exploits and basically placed me in that role anyway.

Magnolia made less and less of an appearance in discussion, as did Heero Yuy. More and more she began to talk about Parrier as her alter ego, who was a male demon. Heero's pictures came down off the walls, as did her Gundam posters and her picture of a castle and a unicorn which was always where she said she lived. Replacing them were wallscrolls of Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and a large one of Sephiroth.

And those were the end of the innocent days. It all gets much worse from here.

I was 15 and I didn't know what to do. I had allowed myself to become tightly embroiled in the lore of her worlds and I began to be angry at myself for being passive and just letting her think whatever, as well as walking all over me and Kat. I figured up until this point that her beliefs were strange -- if at least well-structured for the most part, credit where credit is due -- but we were friends and it wasn't hurting anyone for her to think she was some demon princess or whatever. I didn't like to pass judgement. It seemed to help her cope with her mother's abandonment and aside from it being very annoying at times, it wasn't really something I was willing to throw the friendship down for especially now since Kat was involved and I didn't want to cause a massive rift in the group. But now Denise was becoming more agitated as a result of The Guys taking their sweet loving time to come take her away, and she was beginning to act outwardly with that aggression.

Any time I was over at her house she would scream and yell at her father, who worked 7 days a week at a very physically demanding job to support himself and his daughter after Denise's mother up and left. She constantly demanded more expensive anime things and the latest and greatest issue of whatever manga was in vogue with her at the time. Every issue was $15 which was a lot when she wanted 10 of them.
All he wanted his daughter to do was clean up after herself. Her room was, and as far as I am aware, is today a pigsty. There's untidy, and then there was Denise. Coupled with the fact that she was an insane hoarder when it came to any little plastic toy ever, her room was always a sea of clothing and anime toys. Whenever Denise wanted to get out of anything, she would always say she was "Cleaning her room." She never cleaned it. Ever.

Q & A

Mrs. Mahler posted:

Right, not strange at all. How did you come to believe in this/what shaped your beliefs? Is it Animism? Are you a fan of Princess Mononoke?

Also, why didn't she pluck her unibrow?

Unsure if sarcastic.
In the event it is, Well, I never pretend to be right, and certainly the way I think about things isn't everybody's cup of tea. I'm well and truly aware that hey, I might be wrong about all that. In fact, statistically that's even very likely. It just seems to work for me, and until I find something that 'clicks' better, I'll stick with this. I avoid using the term 'beliefs' because to me beliefs are immutable, whereas I like to see myself as an open-minded kind of person. I also don't talk about my thoughts on all that very often because I see spirituality as a largely private thing.

I got those ideas from a relative when I was 12. Different religious views were a popular discussion in my family and I was always involved even from an early age. Nothing was ever impressed upon me as the right thing or the expected thing -- It's simply the set of ideas I liked the most and it's gone through a lot of refinement since then, I guess. I'd actually never heard of Animism before another poster linked me to the Wikipedia entry. Apparently, there's a word for it! I didn't know that. It sounds pretty similar.

As for a fan of Princess Mononoké? Er, yes, among others. I like a lot of Ghibli films, but it didn't form the ideas of nature spirits for me.

And finally as for her bloody eyebrows -- Denise didn't keep up on a lot of things.

Sorry for only one illustration today, but I made a huge post and I am working on them for other posts. Speaking of which, SEX AND GENDER is up next!

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
My friend and I have been reading through this thread and my friend pointed out that on a profile or something Sephiroth is suppose to be like 50 years old. Right? Mmmsexy. The senior citizen of my young girl girdled loin dreams.

Lywinis
Nov 5, 2007

I can bench more than you.
I say full speed ahead! This is hilarious as hell and I'm still laughing at sparklerdicks.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
OP, why the attraction to Sephiroth do you think? I've never played Final Fantasy, but it seems like every second crazy fan you hear about is obsessed with Sephiroth.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

uglynoodles posted:

x. Whenever someone thinks up an idea, it becomes real by way of creating these dimensions from thin air more or less and that just the act of thinking does this. Denise postulates that when someone imagines a fantasy world, or dreams up a person or animal, a dimension is instantly created from the void that contains these fantasy things in it. This would make for a cool plot device in a book or something.

x. With all the above considered, it then follows that books, films, TV shows, games and anime are not only real, but the source material has been exposed to thousands and in some cases millions of minds, thus making their respective worlds very close to the tangible realm.

Denise has her own weird, arbitrary 'quality control' system that applies to this however. She believes that a world only becomes manifest if there is a certain amount of effort put into the history, traditions and etc during initial creation. Thus -- using examples she has quoted to me herself -- things like Lord of the Rings are real, and things like Pokémon are not. She says a dimension exists for Pokémon, as too many people have conceptualised it for it not to exist, but none of the characters have souls because the world is too lacking in substance. So they can't travel the astral aether or contact beings from other dimensions. Once people forget about Pokémon, Denise says, its dimension will cease to exist.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this exact theory.

The comic series Fables kind of uses it. Fairy tale characters are hiding out in New York and lesser known characters can be killed easily but popular ones like Goldilocks require an axe to the head, being run over by a truck and pushed down a mountain to be properly killed.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Your drawings are so excellent. :allears: You're a good storyteller as well. Awesome thread, basically.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Interestingly, her "multiple words" setup seems so ripe for a fantasy novel that I can't help but imagine she stole it from one.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

uglynoodles posted:

At first I thought Melissa was her magical fairy cousin from sparkle land

Legolas and I went to the mall today

These lines killed me. This is a good thread and you are doing a great job.

Also that "multiple worlds" thing has been done before, they called it Myst. :v: Think of how different that poo poo would've been if Atrus was an anime freak.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one going "Where the hell did I read the multiple worlds thing before" at this, because it seems so familiar. This chick is.. woo, man. If this is the tip of the iceberg, I'm a little worried to see just how much crazy remains.

E: Was Myst a book? It seems like what I'm thinking of was a book.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I remember reading about a similar theory in a Scientific American in my childhood. Where they compared it to a foaming pint of beer, and each bubble was an alternate universe.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

afterhours posted:

My friend and I have been reading through this thread and my friend pointed out that on a profile or something Sephiroth is suppose to be like 50 years old. Right? Mmmsexy. The senior citizen of my young girl girdled loin dreams.

Nah he's like in his mid 20s.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

OP, why the attraction to Sephiroth do you think? I've never played Final Fantasy, but it seems like every second crazy fan you hear about is obsessed with Sephiroth.

The same reason a girl might obsess over any anime guy. Sephiroth is a long, silver haired prettyboy, wears black leather, very mysterious and "misunderstood", etc. Why he's more popular than most? Probably because the game he's from is popular. So just out of the sheer volume of fans of the game there's going to be more crazies to get too into it.

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
The whole multiple worlds thing sounds somewhat like that one soulbonder person...darkladycelebrian or something?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Sephiroth. Of course. All creepy weaboo roads lead to Sephiroth.

The first two laws sound pretty reasonable (you know, in that multidimensional astral plane kind of way) and are actually kind of cool-sounding. But I guess that things only have souls if Denise is into them, so Pokemon is devoid of substance but Shinjiiro Bakuretsuu no Okudan wa Miretsu Gankaiger Bishonen Utage GX MOON Zeta or whatever is totally real, you guys.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Heinlein's later and weirder books (The Number of the Beast, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls) had the World as Myth, which is the same basic concept. Though I doubt that an anime obsessed teenage girl would have read them.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
e;fb^^^^^

uglynoodles posted:

x. There are nearly infinite levels of existence that exist simultaneously. These levels are multiple dimensions which contain variations on the tangible realm as we understand it. For example, there is a dimension in which Hitler never existed, one in which he won the war, one in which dinosaurs never went extinct... All down to relatively tiny differences like for example, a dimension in which nothing is different except that I was born a male.
This sounds kind of cool to me. It doesn't harm anybody to think that and it's an interesting take on the nature of existence.

This sounds like a variation on "pantheistic solipsism," something the sf writer Robert Heinlein made up for his novel The Number of the Beast.

During undergrad I was part of a class on popular and consumer/fan cultures, and I ended up learning a lot about people who "marry" fictional characters in an astral plane -- what some of these folks called "soul-bonding." I'm not sure where ground zero is, but a lot of the people I read about/interviewed either had pantheistic solipsism explicitly in mind or deployed what was obviously a regurgitated version of it.

Heinlein himself had a bad habit of creating multiple fantasy worlds and filling them with his Mary Sues, which is probably why it has such an appeal to this demographic. But at least he contained this sort of thing in books, I guess.

Also, incidentally, Denise's particular take has a lot in common with certain Gnostic theologies, but that's getting us pretty fair afield. Anyway, I'm enjoying the thread and I look forward to hearing more, OP.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Really, I think that same multiverses thing is used by a lot of fantasy/sci-fi authors because it's a really easy concept to come up with. I've seen it before in a few different permutations, some of which are fairly recent pieces of media. It's probably an idea that she picked up from something and reused, but I'm sure it's been used a lot by a lot of things. Including by other teenage girls. I had friends who used to say stuff like "wouldn't it be funny if the universe was like this?" But none of us were crazy enough to believe it, so it was laughed off as a funny idea.

EDIT:

afterhours posted:

This is actually Vincent who is loved nearly as much and in game math is something like 67. (BUT HE LOOKS 20 SO IT'S TOTALLY OKAY)

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 22, 2011

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

x. The more people think about the same thing, the closer its dimension comes towards tangibility. She believes that when enough people have conceptualised a particular world, the characters and things within it will begin to develop souls and spirits and poo poo. It's here that the What the Christ factor really starts to kick in hard for me.

This one is remarkably similar to a part of chaos magic, actually, in which belief can be a very strong magical force and tool. There were, and probably still are, some chaos magicians out there who worked with Santa Claus as part of their spells, simply due to how much belief he gets from kids.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Redeadagain posted:

The whole multiple worlds thing sounds somewhat like that one soulbonder person...darkladycelebrian or something?

It does.

(Note: TV Tropes no longer allows links from SA to go through; you'll have to copy and paste the url in a different tab.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Question. What, in this many-worlds schema, makes our world so special that it is our fiction and our belief that creates all other worlds, rather than one of the other worlds creating ours, or mutual creation or whatever?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Question. What, in this many-worlds schema, makes our world so special that it is our fiction and our belief that creates all other worlds, rather than one of the other worlds creating ours, or mutual creation or whatever?

I haven't ever asked Denise that.

I would think that if I were to suspend my disbelief for a moment, it's possible that all thoughts from all dimensions create more. This dimension in and of itself may have been spawned from somewhere else. The big bang may have been someone, somewhere, having a thought. So I'd say it isn't inherently exclusive to this plane of existence as it is something any can do.

Unless you come from a show Denise doesn't like in which case you are SOL my friend since you don't have a soul

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Mors Rattus posted:

Asking questions like that doesn't get any coherent answers, it just makes them more and more agitated until Lightning or Yuna or Samus comes to calm them down and remind them that they're a good person who's perfectly okay exactly the way they are, and how everyone else is just a jealous hater.

And then they go on about the new FFXIII screenshots or whatever and how it's going to be the best thing since penicillin, and how Square Enix should keep making those games until the heat death of the universe.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 22, 2011

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Raserys posted:

Shinjiiro Bakuretsuu no Okudan wa Miretsu Gankaiger Bishonen Utage GX MOON Zeta

PLEASE tell me this is Japanese for, 'I'm an Unwashed Moronic Moonfaced Retard'.

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
OP you are doing a good job telling an interesting (if mildly horrifying) story and your drawings are pretty great!

I can't help but think of a girl I knew in junior high who was a social outcast and unrelentingly obsessed with Sailor Moon as I read all of this. I suspect many people have similar memories that are being recalled by your thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.
Ohhhhh boy Sex & Gender.
That's always a ffffffun topic.
Oh well, enjoying the thread, keep up the good work.

• Locked thread