Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why would you have one of those when you could have a diorama where a space pimp is kidnapping the x5 cheerleaders you ended up with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

dj-bbq posted:

I saw these at a local BigW (Australian Walmart type store) in red, blue etc. but not black:

Does anyone have any of these, are they worth getting? I'm hoping to get a bunch to use to hold my limited ed. minifig sets.

And has anyone seen any black ones in Australia?

I've considered buying them, but they take a lot of space for just 16 figs, and they're spendy at ~$20 apiece.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

dj-bbq posted:

I saw these at a local BigW (Australian Walmart type store) in red, blue etc. but not black:

Does anyone have any of these, are they worth getting? I'm hoping to get a bunch to use to hold my limited ed. minifig sets.

And has anyone seen any black ones in Australia?

Maybe check out Toys R Us if you are near any; I saw some of those things there but I don't remember if any of them were black.

Basilson
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah, right, buddy, liquor store robbery, officer down. Sure. And I'm Edward G. Robinson.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Does anyone have a picture of ALL of the Lego Modular Houses set?

The ones I've seen online usually leave out one or two of them.

Market Street, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium and Pet Shop.

I just want to see what they all look like lined up.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5090861

This was the best I was able to find after a quick search. The images are rendered, but they look great lined up together. Definitely makes me want to track all the buildings down. If only I had the space (and the money!)

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I saw a black case at TRU yesterday, they seem nice but it wasn't worth the price for me personally. But that "as basic as possible" minifig it comes with is incredibly cool.

As-is my minifigs are slowly taking over the top of my printer. I hope I don't need to scan anything soon.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

GidgetNomates posted:

I got the tripod today. Oh man this thing rules. It looks like it's going to jump at me at any moment. For a $20 set I have absolutely no complaints here. Most of the kits I put together I might (with a vehicle, for example) I might roll it around for a minute but then it's pretty much just a model. This thing though? I can't stop making it wobble around my table and shoot invisible laser beams at my dog. I just can't get over the way this thing moves.

All right you bastards, I got one too. :v:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Schindler's Fist posted:

All right you bastards, I got one too. :v:

Woohoo! Welcome to the club!

If I had the money I'd buy one or two more.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I passed on the tripod and went for the Transport Truck creator set, same price but 110 more pieces.

I know I'm not alone in saying LEGOs are more than just toys to me. In a lot of ways they defined my childhood, and set me on the path I am on today. If it weren't for the legos my parents sacrificed so much to get me, I wouldn't be going for my Mechanical Engineering degree today. I wouldn't approach problems or look at situations the same way. They let me express my creativity when I couldn't do so any other way.

Over the past few years of math and physics classes, of theoretical situations conceptual problems, I lost my creativity. The dry equations that have filled my life have left the wonder and imagination I once had to wither. The rush of solving a unique problem with a unique solution using only the parts at my disposal was something I didn't realize I sorely missed.

But not anymore; today I take back my imagination and my creativity. Its time to regrow and revive that which made me want to be an engineer in the first place.

Thanks Goons :unsmith:

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

I've never bought Lego in bulk like this and am wondering what the Lego thread has to say about this price. Good deal? Bad deal?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tag/2660697249.html

Lots of older Spacemen, but he can't guarantee any of the sets are complete.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Rustie posted:

I've never bought Lego in bulk like this and am wondering what the Lego thread has to say about this price. Good deal? Bad deal?

Well if this showed up in Ottawa it would already be gone by the time you took the time to post about it, so I would say its a good deal.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rustie posted:

It's $6.66 per pound, which is about the norm for bulk Lego.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Rustie posted:

Burn rubber. If the sets are not complete, that's what Bricklink is for.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

rickiep00h posted:

My daughter is absolutely retarded for the Kingdoms line, and it doesn't help that they're studying (if you can call it that in kindergarten) castles and poo poo in school. I like them, too, they're fun to build, but sometimes daddy just wants the Farnsworth House.

I want a Lego Wittenberg (with a minifig Martin Luther!)

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found out I'd get an employee discount on LEGO sets in the gift shop at work, but also found out the tiny creator sets that were $4 at TJ Maxx are $9 in the gift shop.

I'm pretty sure they'd still be coming out ahead.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

I know I'm not alone in saying LEGOs are more than just toys to me. In a lot of ways they defined my childhood, and set me on the path I am on today. If it weren't for the legos my parents sacrificed so much to get me, I wouldn't be going for my Mechanical Engineering degree today.

You too, man? I just graduated with my BS in Mech E last spring. Good luck with it!

This thread also caused me to dig out all of my old Lego and put together a front end loader. I never could find a way to use the bucket piece I had lying around when I was younger, but I finally got it. Take THAT younger me.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Can someone with access to the dino costume guy from series 5 and all black heads (like the old school ghosts had) or red (like...I dunno, that Cthulhu Priest from the Atlantis set has) put them together and see if it looks okay? I want some lizardmen and it'd be neat if doing that made it look presentable.
Also if you could give him some sort of weapon that'd be cool too.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Log082 posted:

You too, man? I just graduated with my BS in Mech E last spring. Good luck with it!

This thread also caused me to dig out all of my old Lego and put together a front end loader. I never could find a way to use the bucket piece I had lying around when I was younger, but I finally got it. Take THAT younger me.

I'll third that, complete with BS in ME (have fun getting a job though :ohdear:) Won't say that it was definitely due to lego, but it certainly contributed.

Then again I'd always wanted to go into aerospace and, well...

(photography obviously not my strong suit here...)

mynnna fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 22, 2011

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Can someone with access to the dino costume guy from series 5 and all black heads (like the old school ghosts had) or red (like...I dunno, that Cthulhu Priest from the Atlantis set has) put them together and see if it looks okay? I want some lizardmen and it'd be neat if doing that made it look presentable.
Also if you could give him some sort of weapon that'd be cool too.

I switched my dino dude to a solid black head right away and I can verify that it looks pretty nice. A very, very small bit of the head actually shows through the mask. The dark red head from the squid dude doesn't look as good, imo. The red sort of clashes with all the green and it's a lot more obvious than the black.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GidgetNomates posted:

I got the tripod today. Oh man this thing rules. It looks like it's going to jump at me at any moment. For a $20 set I have absolutely no complaints here. Most of the kits I put together I might (with a vehicle, for example) I might roll it around for a minute but then it's pretty much just a model. This thing though? I can't stop making it wobble around my table and shoot invisible laser beams at my dog. I just can't get over the way this thing moves.

I totally impulse purchased the tripod, and it's one of my favorite kits ever.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

I totally impulse purchased the tripod, and it's one of my favorite kits ever.

I just did the same thing because of this stupid thread!

Edit: Btw I got it from BigW in Australia, which I thought was weird as the last I'd heard Target had an exclusive license for the Alien Conquest line. Though they didn't have any of the big sets in the series.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Another mechanical engineer checking in. But after getting a Ph.D. and even doing a postdoc, I'm happy I finally found a job, and get some of the disposable income turned into bricks :).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Travis343 posted:

I switched my dino dude to a solid black head right away and I can verify that it looks pretty nice. A very, very small bit of the head actually shows through the mask. The dark red head from the squid dude doesn't look as good, imo. The red sort of clashes with all the green and it's a lot more obvious than the black.

Good enough for me! Time to raise a lizardman army.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I found a pretty cool series of Technic idea books at Barnes and Noble the other day. The ideas use some fairly specialized parts like pneumatics, but I love the book design itself. Each page has a creation, but no instructions or words -- just 6 or so angles of the same build. You have to figure out how to put it together.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

fosborb posted:

I found a pretty cool series of Technic idea books at Barnes and Noble the other day. The ideas use some fairly specialized parts like pneumatics, but I love the book design itself. Each page has a creation, but no instructions or words -- just 6 or so angles of the same build. You have to figure out how to put it together.

This looks like a must-have for me. BrickJournal gives the set a glowing review.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
Just remembered I had these unopened minifigs lying around since july.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
Could you please take another lovely picture of the model on the lower left?

It looks pretty cool :)

Torael_7 posted:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Finished building the helicopter+semitruck model from the Transport Truck creator set. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning again :3:

Really impressed with the model, and all these new fangled pieces are really interesting. The entire time I was just thinking up ways I could use them in a vic viper or something.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
I went to the flea market today looking for Legos. I had never seen any there but then again I had never looked. I went through the whole thing not seeing anything at all, but right as I was about to leave I saw a blue case. It reminded me a lot of the K'nex case my brother had when we were kids, so I took a second look and lo and behold there was the LEGO logo. I grabbed it immediately and realized that a) it's pretty much FULL and b) it's $3. It's very obvious what happened--I did the quickest grocery shopping of my life on the way home and now here I am with this box. I looked the case up on ebay and the listing said it was from 1985, so providing that's right I could have some old stuff on my hands. Or I could have nothing special at all. Either way I got a cool case and some still-unknown legos for $3. I haven't opened it yet--I had to come and post about it first. Here's a photo of the case if anyone wants to confirm/deny that it's from the 80s:

I peeked inside and it seemed to be pretty dang full of parts, but I was afraid of opening it more than a tiny amount since I thought they might fall out. Now it's time to open and sort...wish me luck, goons.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

OH MY GOD you just reminded me I have two of these upstairs full of stuff.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

GidgetNomates posted:

I went to the flea market today looking for Legos. I had never seen any there but then again I had never looked. I went through the whole thing not seeing anything at all, but right as I was about to leave I saw a blue case. It reminded me a lot of the K'nex case my brother had when we were kids, so I took a second look and lo and behold there was the LEGO logo. I grabbed it immediately and realized that a) it's pretty much FULL and b) it's $3. It's very obvious what happened--I did the quickest grocery shopping of my life on the way home and now here I am with this box. I looked the case up on ebay and the listing said it was from 1985, so providing that's right I could have some old stuff on my hands. Or I could have nothing special at all. Either way I got a cool case and some still-unknown legos for $3. I haven't opened it yet--I had to come and post about it first. Here's a photo of the case if anyone wants to confirm/deny that it's from the 80s:

I peeked inside and it seemed to be pretty dang full of parts, but I was afraid of opening it more than a tiny amount since I thought they might fall out. Now it's time to open and sort...wish me luck, goons.

The only Lego at my flea market is a toy shop that has a few open buckets of Lego, but you have to buy it piece by piece, and the prices are exorbitant.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Whiskey posted:

Could you please take another lovely picture of the model on the lower left?

It looks pretty cool :)

He's the last vestige of the lego I owned when I was a kid...my parents sold the rest without telling me then claimed I told them it would be okay.

Who would make up such heinous bullshit?

Anyway, being something I built as a kid, some of it is painted because I cheated. :ssh:

Bits of it have fallen off, as you can probably tell.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 22, 2011

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Well, mystery box is now sorted. Unfortunately the bulk of the box wasn't lego. I have no clue what kind of bricks these are, but the studs are longer than lego and they're really cheap feeling. A few of the legit lego bricks were forced onto these and I had to pry them apart.

But, I still got well more than $3 worth of actual lego bricks (I would have gladly just accepted the case for $3 I absolutely cannot complain).

I'm really happy about that big grey base. I've only got two bases--one is a small green one with a bit of road on it and another is a light pale green that is also very small. Got quite a few windows and doors:

And a bizarre giant wheel? Anyone know what set this is from? There was only one in the case.

A few other pieces that caught my eye, including some McDonalds ones. The three solid ones are a weird purple shade that I think might have gone with the McDonalds ones, they look more blue in the photo.

Anyone know what these are? I didn't think they were lego until I looked at the pieces the heads fit into. Looks like at least one of the faces was drawn on a bit.

Here's the minifigs which are probably mixed and matched. Glad to have a few more plain smiley face heads in my collection, and I like that brown hair too.

Now please excuse me while I wash my hands because touching a bunch of someone else's old toys for so long makes me feel gross.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GidgetNomates posted:

Here's a photo of the case if anyone wants to confirm/deny that it's from the 80s:

Indeed an 80s-tastic case/box thing. I have a red one that SHOULD BE COMING IN THE MAIL MOM JEEZ SEND IT ALREADY.

why yes i am almost 30 years old

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself
Looks like you got some mid-to-late '70s LEGO. The big wheel would have been from a larger-than-minifig scale carriage, steam engine or possibly a vintage car, and the large figure parts predate minifigures.

As for the non-LEGO parts, I see slots in place of tubes which means they're probably old-metric Best Lock, before they changed to be fully LEGO-compatible. I've picked up odd bits from time to time in mixed collections.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

GidgetNomates posted:

And a bizarre giant wheel? Anyone know what set this is from? There was only one in the case.

Bricklink is always your friend for these questions. The wheels were used in old model cars and such.

quote:

Anyone know what these are? I didn't think they were lego until I looked at the pieces the heads fit into. Looks like at least one of the faces was drawn on a bit.

These heads/torsos were mostly used in the Homemaker line back in the 70s, though they had other uses, too:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Well now I want to make this, thanks a lot :colbert:

Wasn't expecting these parts to be so old! Thanks for your help, guys.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Tried my hand at making one of those astronauts. Had to make it blue because the torso I have is blue.

Please ignore the crumbs on my coffee table. Those are obviously just moon rocks.

e: double post i am an idiot sorry

GidgetNomates fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 22, 2011

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

Torael_7 posted:

He's the last vestige of the lego I owned when I was a kid...my parents sold the rest without telling me then claimed I told them it would be okay.

Who would make up such heinous bullshit?

Thanks for posting, I really like the shape!

However, I'm pretty sure your parents hate you.

Here's a little something I've been fooling around with today for part of the MBA program:

Whiskey fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 23, 2011

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just finished building the Winter Village Toy Shop with the wife. She is now hooked.

I don't know whether I should be happy because I can more easily support my own addiction or unhappy because I now have to share.

Also the Toy Shop is gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I've had a Lego-filled couple of days. I'm in the Chicago area, currently out in the burbs. We stopped by a local Goodwill yesterday, which it turned out was its grand opening. I picked up 8 bagged s4 mini figs for 49 cents each (including the mad scientist I've been looking for!), and the POTC cannibal set, still sealed for $4.

Then today I went to downtown Chicago, popped into the Lego store and after LOTS of deliberation, picked up the Creator Lighthouse set. I really wanted the Pet Shop, but I couldn't justify dropping $150 on it then and there. Still, $40 for the lighthouse was better.