Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
They did that multiple worlds thing on Stargate about 5 different times and you know what, I like it.

Somewhere out there, there is a world where black people and white people are reversed; I think it would make a good movie if these two worlds got merged together like in Super Mario Bros The Movie. It would be like a buddy cop movie but it's the whole planet. Buddy Planet Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous

Hedera Helix posted:

Asking questions like that doesn't get any coherent answers, it just makes them more and more agitated until Lightning or Yuna or Samus comes to calm them down and remind them that they're a good person who's perfectly okay exactly the way they are, and how everyone else is just a jealous hater.

And then they go on about the new FFXIII screenshots or whatever and how it's going to be the best thing since penicillin, and how Square Enix should keep making those games until the heat death of the universe.

A lot of times they don't even play the games. They just like the idea of them and their art.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Astrofig posted:

PLEASE tell me this is Japanese for, 'I'm an Unwashed Moronic Moonfaced Retard'.

:ssh: It doesn't mean anything at all.

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

They did that multiple worlds thing on Stargate about 5 different times and you know what, I like it.

Somewhere out there, there is a world where black people and white people are reversed; I think it would make a good movie if these two worlds got merged together like in Super Mario Bros The Movie. It would be like a buddy cop movie but it's the whole planet. Buddy Planet Movie.

Ah the planet of "Budcop" already exists, at least according to this weird form of string theory.

It's a world where two people of drastically different physical appearance are bonded together in an almost marital form relationship where, instead of rings, they turn in their badges to their boss and go out on their own stop a gang of drug traffickers as a right of passage.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Isn't this basically the idea behind Last Action Hero?

Spitball Trough
Jul 25, 2011

Saeku posted:

Anime: simplistic enough for kids, dark and edgy enough for really crazy kids.

This. Thank god I came of age in the days when you had to TRY to get into anime. I just got into stuff like Anne Rice, which is not a magnet for the warped at all!

And thanks again for an awesome read, OP.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
As a kid I used to watch Gundam Wing all the time and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Watching it again recently was really hilarious because of the AWFUL voice acting/plot. But it's a good laugh if you watch it with other people.

However, there's only one anime that I still like: Cowboy Bebop. In my opinion it's not even on the same plane as anime. The jazz music they created for that show is incredible, I've never heard music like that in any cartoon. Anyways, the show had a lot of dark themes for a children's show: fatalism, urban decay, existential nihilism, crime, etc. But that's probably why I like(d) it so much. Really beautifully drawn and acted. The English actors are far, far superior to the original Japanese ones, which is rare in anime. Keanu Reeves was trying to adapt it into a live-action film for years now, but I doubt it will happen.

I did hang around someone who was way too wrapped up in her anime fantasy land. Would claim Kenshin is her boyfriend, gave herself a Japanese name (she's Chinese). Even now she still writes fanfiction. I think that's all good and well to do that when you're a kid...But you have to grow up eventually.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

She's actually starting to sound like this one yaoi fangirl I knew, with that last post. Her parents are very straight-laced and conservative, so when their daughter announced that she was getting married to some girl she did online gay sex roleplay with a couple of continents over, she got really offended when they weren't as pleased for her as when her brother told them he was marrying a girl. Which is a gross set of double-standards if ever there was!

The thing that really reminds me of her though, is that her parents were trying to be as nice and supportive as they could be, considering she was a walking dramabomb waiting to go off every five minutes. Back when the Wii first came out, and they were impossible to get leading up to Christmas, they somehow managed to get her one, probably at great effort and cost. She went berserk, shouting and screaming that she'd told them she wanted money for one of those creepy Dolfies (which was about 5x the price, FYI), and when they explained that they didn't have the money for that, she hit the roof, slapped her mother (she despised her mother for some reason) and left the house for about a week and a half, never bothering to call home and let them know where she was.

Thinking about it, I have way too many stories like these.

uglynoodles posted:

I haven't ever asked Denise that.

I would think that if I were to suspend my disbelief for a moment, it's possible that all thoughts from all dimensions create more. This dimension in and of itself may have been spawned from somewhere else. The big bang may have been someone, somewhere, having a thought. So I'd say it isn't inherently exclusive to this plane of existence as it is something any can do.

Unless you come from a show Denise doesn't like in which case you are SOL my friend since you don't have a soul

'Mutual fictionality' is a thing that tends to crop up in stories involving multiple dimensions. So while you're sitting there reading the latest volume of Anata Chinko no Densetsu, the characters in that are reading a comic based on your life. It's a kind of 'endlessly reflecting mirrors' thing that makes you go crosseyed if you think about it too much

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

SEX AND GENDER
Or, Into the Rabbit Hole

I don't remember specifically when this conversation took place, but I remember it was quite soon after Denise insisted upon being referred to as "Parrier" in everyday conversation and became insistent upon having the male pronoun used to reference her with.

I had a long and extensive conversation about this with her. After what happened to me at the poolside when I was 14 and combined with some absent parenting I went through a period of time (This is all sorted out now) where I suffered issues pertaining to self loathing, as well as body dysmorphia and being uncomfortable with my gender. (Hey, what exactly is a 'normal' reaction to sexual abuse?) It was a pretty serious thing for a kid to deal with on their own and I had done all the research I could with limited Internet access and a dumbshit teenage brain, so I had arguably more experience with understanding having feelings of gender dysphoria than anyone else locally available who was my age. I was very clear in what I asked, trying to assess how she felt and why. I wasn't as knowledgeable about the subject as I am now, but I was nearly 16, cut me a break.

Denise made it clear that she did not want to live life as a male, she did not want to alter her body in any form, she made no effort to dress like a male, or indeed have any interest in being male at all. She did not believe that being female felt incorrect in either a sexual or societal role. She did not want to identify as male. I was perplexed. I had all kinds of terrible feelings and was really conflicted. I wanted to accept it and just call her a him because -- hey, I'm an open-minded and accepting kind of person, and that's what you're supposed to do to not be a prejudicial and judgemental dickbag. I had no problem calling transgender persons by their chosen gender so what was my beef with Denise?

I began to wonder if Denise was just copying what she had seen me go through in learning to accept what had happened to me, and was now trying to ramp it up a scale somehow, not knowing the extent to how deep my feelings ran on the subject because I kept most of it, including the details of what happened to me at that poolside, a secret.

I was left at a bit of an impasse and was thoroughly confused by being asked to refer to this person I had known for three years as an entirely different entity. Denise explained to me that Parrier had an entirely different set of likes and dislikes and had a whole new history. Denise began to talk about herself in third person -- What I mean by that wasn't like "Denise is feeling bulbous today," but more... 'I am Parrier, Denise is not here, she is locked in stasis in a crystal. I put her there and no one can find her or ever get her out.' Years later, if questioned about 'Denise,' "Parrier" would say that she has been hidden for so long that it was no longer possible to retrieve her.

Research says something like 99.9% of people with Multiple Personality Disorder have made it all the gently caress up. I still don't know about her.

"Totally Real Possession" and 'No Uglynoodles, I'm Not a Lesbian'

Shortly after she claimed she was this demon called Parrier now for reals and for evers, Denise turned her fixations entirely onto Sephiroth, particularly the incarnation seen in that godawful Final Fantasy: Advent Children film (Which, for the longest time, I thought was a Final Fantasy themed Christmas Advent calendar promotion. What the gently caress?) Heero Yuy had all but completely disappeared from her life. I once saw her open a binder to find an old printout of a picture of him on the front. She grabbed it and threw it out of the way angrily. She wouldn't elaborate. I wonder what he 'did' to piss her off, and if he has custody of one or all of their seven children.

I have never played Final Fantasy 7 to the point where Sephiroth is introduced; I hated the game that much. As such I have very little understanding as to his character aside from his visuals and that his theme song is apparently 'One Winged Angel,' which Denise got what seemed to be endless satisfaction by playing it in an equally endless loop. On one of our games nights, as it was approaching 3AM, Denise lowered her voice and got a brooding look on her face.

She told me the spirit of my favourite character had temporarily possessed her body, and I don't remember the exact wording or what exactly unfolded, but I remember backing away from her as she tried to kiss me. She, er -- the character -- said that 'this vessel' was 'used to doing showing simple affection like this with her cousin.' I thanked the 'spirit' for its time but said I needed to go to bed now as it was very late. Denise's voice returned to normal and she pretended not to know what had just happened. She tried to put on her delicate princess act again for sympathy or something, I don't know. It was 3AM, I was wildly uncomfortable, and I wasn't about to walk home, so I rolled over and tried to sleep.

I know that Denise is not a lesbian or even bisexual. She has never shown the slightest inkling of attraction to another woman and has always maintained that she only goes for men. All her fictional interests have been men. Denise knew that I was bisexual and therefore it would've been safe to talk about that with me. So... This, I just don't know. When I finally addressed the elephant in the room with her the next day, she denied being aware of anything like that transpiring. She also told me she had no interest in women whatsoever and had never made out with her cousin pretending to be animu boys.

Bedtime again.

Q & A

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anata Chinko no Densetsu,

Chinko? What's that word mean? Because in my somewhat limited vocabulary I know of only one similar word, Chinpo, in which case that is infinitely hilarious to me because 'Anata Chinpo no Densetsu' roughly translates to 'The Legend of Your Tiny Dick'

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 23, 2011

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Holy poo poo OP, I know who Denise reminds me of, Dark Lady Celebrian.

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Starprincess801

I am amazed there is more than one of these people. :psyduck:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

uglynoodles posted:

SEX AND GENDER

Oh. Oh, wow. Wow, this is really, really messed up.

I had some weird friends -- a little crazy, but none this crazy, and none who attempted to make out with me under the premise of being "possessed." Holy gently caress. This is seriously, seriously messed up. Denise is seriously messed up.

:stare:

My weird friend occasionally went through sexuality phases too where she declared herself bi or lesbian depending on what was the most popular. She never had any trans or genderqueer phases, but it was easy to tell she wasn't actually bi or lesbian, she was just doing it for attention. She never made out with me because I was still really convinced at the time that I was straight, but I always feel bad for the girl that she led on in a "relationship" until a boy who was interested in her came along.

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
Square is missing out on all the $$$ to be made by these sorts of people.
All they have to do is make a full-length Sephiroth movie where he does nothing bit stare deeply into the camera and occasionally comb his hair.
Think of the cash to be had.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

uglynoodles posted:

She also told me she had no interest in women whatsoever and had never made out with her cousin pretending to be animu boys.

That is an oddly specific denial, unless you phrased the question that way, which seems unlikely.

Also, these stories are pretty fascinating, and I love the sparkler-wangs. They're just so whimsical, sort of like a breath of fresh air from the crazy.

But really, what the hell kind of demon name is Parrier? That's just weird.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Holy poo poo OP, I know who Denise reminds me of, Dark Lady Celebrian.

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Starprincess801

I am amazed there is more than one of these people. :psyduck:

That is loving insane, and I almost feel a little pity. That girl seriously has to have something wrong with her. She doesn't look that fat though. Then again, it's ED. I have issues with ED, but they are incredibly thorough in their articles and I like that.

edit: Nevermind I found more pictures and also it appears that she likes homestuck according to her current lj. no signs yet whether she has soulbonded with them or not.

http://xenaeilonwy.livejournal.com/54352.html

she's 'bonded' with river tam. holy poo poo.

Lezzie Borden fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 23, 2011

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I met a similar girl at a Japanese festival. She was whiter than bleached flour, but insisted on being sent to some speshul school where classes were taught in Japanese, and was so scarily obsessed with that loving Inyuasha show that she called herself Naraku--and her parents even addressed her as such! Apparently the fits she threw when they didn't weren't worth the effort.

She called her parents some stupid Japanese words, wore kimonos constantly, and liked to tell me how a friend of hers was 'possessed' by some minor Inyuasha character and they were going to get married. (They were both female.)
Oh, and she also had a gross and creepy habit of letting me know just how constipated--or not--she'd been that day.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Redeadagain posted:

Square is missing out on all the $$$ to be made by these sorts of people.
All they have to do is make a full-length Sephiroth movie where he does nothing bit stare deeply into the camera and occasionally comb his hair.
Think of the cash to be had.

Sincerely, if they made a movie about Sephiroth and his past and all that great poo poo, not just the stuff they've done but actually do the whole thing from beginning to end, they would sell so many copies and make so much stupid amounts of money. Same with if they re-made FFVII in current-gen graphics for the PS-Whatever it is when they decide to milk that cashcow even more.

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

uglynoodles posted:

I wonder what he 'did' to piss her off, and if he has custody of one or all of their seven children.

I'd like to imagine that he hired Phoenix Wright to get custody for these sky children.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh man. What really bothers me is how completely familiar this story is. Not personally, mind. (My problems were different.)

Coughman posted:

I'd like to imagine that he hired Phoenix Wright to get custody for these sky children.

Phoenix Wright is a criminal lawyer you ignorant swine.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I can understand liking and admiring fictional women, but 'soulbonding' them? :psyduck: I haven't played the Metroid games, but Samus is supposed to be this badass, intelligent lady who saves the universe on multiple occasions, right? If you admire her so much, be a brave person like her. You can't save the universe from Space Pirates but you can still go out and make something of yourself. Face the challenges of the world and try to make it a better place, even if only by a little bit. You don't have to be a bounty hunter, just start volunteering at the local homeless shelter.

Sephiroth-obsession also continues to baffle me. I thought he was the coolest thing since sliced bread when I was ten or twelve, and looking back I can't remember why. He was a good villain, it was a good game, no more no less. Move on with your life.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 23, 2011

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Haven't seen this asked yet, do you still talk to her? What is she up to now?

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Pick posted:

Phoenix Wright is a criminal lawyer you ignorant swine.

well he isn't really a lawyer anymore, but fair enough :v:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Viola the Mad posted:

Sephiroth-obsession also continues to baffle me. I thought he was the coolest thing since sliced bread when I was ten or twelve.
You've sort of hit the nail on the head. Part of the obsession seems to stem from the fact that at the time Final Fantasy 7 was seen as pretty much the ultimate in what the CD-Rom era had to offer; 3D graphics, pre-rendered cutscenes, music in a game so vast it covered 3 CDs along with a playable character being killed that defined conventions at the time.

Tie this in with nostalgia and it's little wonder why people became attached to the game as it's kind of meant something to them when they were growing up combined with the reinforcement in the media that this was the best game ever helped spread it's popularity.
I'd like to think the game's patchy translation and confusing plot had people interpret the story in weird ways, unintentionally making the game appear deeper than it actually is.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Coughman posted:

Ignoring his apparent disbarment, a crim lawyer can handle a civil case; just not as well as someone who specializes in such.

Then again, I can't think of an anime/game lawyer who'd be more appropriate. So it's pretty much Phoenix and Edgeworth, I guess. Unless, of course, one of those are personae of hers.

I'm hoping the opposing counsel to her is pretty much Godot. Godot owns.

Also, I second err's question. You seem to still talk to Kat, and presumably you keep tabs on Denise; does she still do this? Has she changed, or what? It seems (based on non-narrative statements) that you at least keep an eye on her via facebox. What's her deal now? Assuming, of course, that it doesn't spoil the chronologic nature of these stories (which was a drat fine choice, btw).

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Coughman posted:

Actually I'm imagining that he is so on an alternate dimension he is.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WebDog posted:

I thought he was the coolest thing since sliced bread when I was ten or twelve

This is related to what people were saying earlier in the thread - these people are messed up and are attracted to anime's very elaborate art and fine surface detail but lack of depth and meaning. They're emotionally stunted people that really never stopped being 12. Lots of kids acted like this when they were 12 but they grew out of it quick and nobody noticed because everyone is dumb when they're 12.

It happened in school too, the circle of gangly nerds i ran into literally never changed. From 7th grade to senior year, they had the same humor, made the same jokes, and were still obsessing over yugioh and pokemon. For seven years straight. They seemed to get progressively weirder but everyone else just got progressively older, they stayed at the ripe age of 12.

These people also have some delusional illness on top of it all to make the entire thing even worse

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Jyrraeth posted:

I remember reading about a similar theory in a Scientific American in my childhood. Where they compared it to a foaming pint of beer, and each bubble was an alternate universe.

The wackiest theory along these lines that gets taken remotely seriously by scientists is Max Tegmark's "ultimate ensemble hypothesis", which holds that all universes that can be described in an internally consistent manner by mathematical laws actually exist. So that's about the limit of how nutty you can be and still find work as a theoretical physicist. His argument for believing in the ultimate ensemble is basically that there's no particular reason not to... which is not very compelling unless you already have some other reason to want to believe in it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The best interpretation of the 'all fictional universes are true' theory is is the one where they all take place in the imagination of the autistic kid at the end of St. Elsewhere.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Viola the Mad posted:

Sephiroth-obsession also continues to baffle me.
To a certain kind of teenager, that kind of character is pure crack:
* white hair (distinct trait)
* black trenchcoaty dress (distinct fashion)
* weird sword + legendary soldier (elite skills)
* MYSTERIOUS PAST
* Doesn't take poo poo from no one
* Thinks he's right (and you should, too, probably)
* complex relationship with mother figure
and so on.

When you're going through the identity formation thing and you're given a character who spend the game outwitting or mocking you, chances are the reaction is "wow. this guy's so good no one would ever mess with him". And it just snowballs from there.

Throw in some "he's just misunderstood/possessed by an alien/acting out because he was WRONGED" and you've got the recipe for hero worship.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

YggiDee posted:

The best interpretation of the 'all fictional universes are true' theory is is the one where they all take place in the imagination of the autistic kid at the end of St. Elsewhere.

I am pretty sure this is the part where the entire thread reveals that they are still nerds by falling upon you and ripping out your throat with their teeth.

Kaleid
Oct 21, 2011
So. She didn't think of herself as an Otaku? But an actual anime princess?

Questions: What ethnic background are they? Are they generally really unattractive and fat? Do they still believe in this now that it has been over a decade since you had learned of this?

I'm really interested in the hosed up psychology and how they could have come to believe that this is reality.

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.

FilthyImp posted:

To a certain kind of teenager, that kind of character is pure crack:
* white hair (distinct trait)
* black trenchcoaty dress (distinct fashion)
* weird sword + legendary soldier (elite skills)
* MYSTERIOUS PAST
* Doesn't take poo poo from no one
* Thinks he's right (and you should, too, probably)
* complex relationship with mother figure
and so on.

It seems to me that some of these traits (barring the obvious) can describe many teenagers, or at least they would like to think so. Teens are defiant, they think their parents are bullshit based on petty crap, they know everything best and no one understands them. And I know grown-rear end people who pretty much think that distinct appearance = personality. Which is why these characters can be so appealing, I guess.

I knew a kid who really seemed to believe his inane bullshit, but he only thought that his parents are secretly in a program where their children are trained to be elite secret agents. I give him credit for not thinking he's from a different universe. And his fantasy is a lot cooler. To me, anyway.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

People like that probably like characters like Sephiroth because they're so bland that they act as a blank slate upon which they can project.

Seriously the big thing I see in common with the characters people get fixated like this on is that they completely lack any kind of characterization beyond the very bare essentials (is pretty, is A Bad Guy), making them suited to the build-your-own-fantasy scenario.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Kaleid posted:

So. She didn't think of herself as an Otaku? But an actual anime princess?

Questions: What ethnic background are they? Are they generally really unattractive and fat? Do they still believe in this now that it has been over a decade since you had learned of this?

I'm really interested in the hosed up psychology and how they could have come to believe that this is reality.

That's right, she believes she is the real deal.

Denise, Kat and I are all Caucasian. Denise is very pale, this is a mixture of her parentage being Irish in origin and never leaving the house. She has freckles across her nose, and has a couple chins. She has frizzy, split-endy brown hair that she wore in a ponytail up until around this point in the story. She was always ridiculously proud of her hair despite it looking like poo poo and never taking care of it. It had horrible frizzy sideburns. She's quite short. She has small brown eyes that turn up at the ends, a tiny, not altogether unattractive nose, but in my opinion it looks out of place on her face. None of her features look as if they fit together. She has a small, c-shaped mouth that looks as if it is always in a frown when idle and her teeth are kind of hosed up. They are spaced oddly.

Kat is tall, slim and athletic. She has large eyes that are blue with speckles of brown in them. She is also quite pale. She bathes regularly and takes care of her hair. At this point in the story she had shoulder length brownish-auburn hair that was often straightened. She has quite attractive natural features in my opinion. Her nose slightly tilts to one side and the top of her upper lip is also very slightly pulled up. She has had surgery to correct the problems with her lip but it is not glaringly noticeable. In highschool before she had the last surgery done -- so around this point in the story -- she had a little bit of a scissorbite and her nose and upper lip were at more of an angle, but again it was not something that was very visible, nor did it mean she was retarded. Kids are just loving jerks.

I'm a tiny bit darker skinned than they are -- there are a lot of olive-skinned people and people from China and India and stuff like that a little ways back in my family -- but I'd still definitely be classified as white. I have greyish blue eyes that look pretty large on my face, almost owlish I guess. A small nose -- I rather like my nose actually -- a small mouth with kind of pouty lips, and a short upper lip so my front teeth are always slightly exposed. (It takes effort to press my lips together they don't do that on their own accord sort of thing.) It doesn't look as horrible as I make it sound and neither does Kat's, I am sure I have made us all sound like Frankenstein. I am slim, I am short too but taller than Denise, and I have at this point in the story shoulder length blonde hair I also keep relentlessly straightened.

quote:

Does she still believe this? Do you keep track of her on Facebox?

That is a resounding yes and yes. She apparently goes to a lot of anime cons and recently a huge batch of pictures from a con photoshoot were uploaded to her gallery of her dressed as some demon dragon thing -- presumably what she imagines Parrier to be, and so I was inspired. Recently she told Kat that she was certain Autobots were taking the form of nearby cars and I think Optimus was in love with her.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

uglynoodles posted:

Recently she told Kat that she was certain Autobots were taking the form of nearby cars and I think Optimus was in love with her.

Hah. Based on your stories, I guess I didn't really take her for the type to like the Transformers movies. It shouldn't be that surprising, but it is.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

uglynoodles posted:

Chinko? What's that word mean? Because in my somewhat limited vocabulary I know of only one similar word, Chinpo, in which case that is infinitely hilarious to me because 'Anata Chinpo no Densetsu' roughly translates to 'The Legend of Your Tiny Dick'

'Chinko' is a slang term for penis, so it roughly translates to 'Legend of the Holy Wang'. I think I like your version more though.

Canyons of Static
Mar 28, 2006
Could've moved mountains
I had kind of a similar friendship, though less extreme. Your story is hilarious but at the same time kind of disturbing because not only did my friend look very much like how you describe Denise, but it also would have been pretty easy for her to slip down that rabbit hole. She was a weird squirrely kid who befriended me when I was new in town and quickly drove away all the other friends I'd made, until it was just me and her. When we were younger we did the usual kid thing of play-acting scenes from TV shows and books that we liked in her backyard... which is fine when you're like 9, but she still wanted to do it when we were 12 and 13. The first anime she ever got into was Sailor Moon, and she became convinced that we were actually reincarnations of some of the characters and there was this whole magical battle going on in some other astral plane. I was very skeptical of this, and so for proof she brought me this styrofoam egg she'd glued sequins all over, claiming it "came through a portal" from the other world. Long story short, it turned out she was nuts and also desperately in love with me*, although it look me many wasted years to realize how toxic her friendship was (as well as her whole family.) This isn't my thread so I'll leave it at that, but drat, how many of these people are there?

* Despite coming out as a lesbian, she did have an obese internet boyfriend from another country who she eventually married and now lives with. The one time I met him he literally smelled like he had poo poo his pants.

Canyons of Static fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 23, 2011

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
By the way, what was the anime you liked that she designated as your place to be a Mary Sue and hold a crowning spot in the world's "Great Legends?"

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Adus posted:

Nah he's like in his mid 20s.

The same reason a girl might obsess over any anime guy. Sephiroth is a long, silver haired prettyboy, wears black leather, very mysterious and "misunderstood", etc. Why he's more popular than most? Probably because the game he's from is popular. So just out of the sheer volume of fans of the game there's going to be more crazies to get too into it.

You pretty well cover the "I can change the bad boy" attraction, and the popularity makes sense--but (prepare for some Freud) the major act that Sephiroth performs is using a ridiculously long sword, like 7-8 ft, to stab a female love interest of the main character. He jumps from an enormous height to INSERT his STEEL-HARD, CURVED, RAZOR-SHARP PHALLUS into her TORSO.

I don't know what the timeframe on this is, but I think she may have been victimized by this movie made by cultists. Many Universes Theory really needs some very careful explaining, not exploiting for personal fulfillment at age stupid-teen.

I wonder what would have become of her if she had run into Lovecraft's writing before anime and geeked out over that. Would she be schlicking it to shoggoth-rape or would Tsothaggua be waiting in the nether blacknesses of un-ness to eat all reality but plant his ur-dimensional fuckseed into her snowflake-cervix? :cthulhu:

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 23, 2011

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Canyons of Static posted:

Despite coming out as a lesbian, she did have an obese internet boyfriend from another country who she eventually married and now lives with. The one time I met him he literally smelled like he had poo poo his pants.

I had a buddy in MS-HS that shat his pants regularly "because of his medicine" and eventually went balls-out bonkers. I shudder to imagine the horror of a world that hosts two of him. One of him was like six too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I don't know what the timeframe on this is, but I think she may have been victimized by this movie made by cultists. Many Universes Theory really needs some very careful explaining, not exploiting for personal fulfillment at age stupid-teen.

Well, she mentioned an obsession with Advent Children, which was... 2005, according to Wikipedia.

• Locked thread