Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ And you can always replace "what should I know" with "before I play this game" or similar without needing to look up the thread ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The "What should I know before I use Google?" Q&A!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Between Google Tricks and searching users posts in a thread, this has been the most useful thread I've ever read on the forums. Not to mention the countless games I''ve had an easy immersion into. This is the best thread :patriot:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, to cut the derail, what should I know before i start E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy?

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.

Pierzak posted:

OK, to cut the derail, what should I know before i start E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy?

Be patient. The game can be hard to get into. Research the Medkit and get it from the equipment loadout as soon as possible. As well as the Cyber Cloak, which you can get from the Medical center in Temple HQ. They're pretty cheap compared to some of the other powers you can get, and pretty much vital.

Serious George fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 19, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pierzak posted:

I had a quick question that I guess could go in this thread about this game: When it first came out I heard a lot of things were broken, like certain skills actually doing nothing. Has this been fixed for the most part?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I had a quick question that I guess could go in this thread about this game: When it first came out I heard a lot of things were broken, like certain skills actually doing nothing. Has this been fixed for the most part?

For the most part, yes. Accuracy still has a very minor affect, and is only good for equipping weapons, though, they didn't intentionally cripple the player for having low stats.

My only other advice, aside from the above post, is to try to stat for and obtain the Bearkiller 444 as fast as you can, it's an anti armor side arm, so you can pick whatever primary weapon you want, but have a very solid fallback weapon for armored targets, choppers, turrets and other such things.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The problem I had with at launch was it crashed constantly if you had a 32 bit operating system. They did fix that but it so happens I'm now 64 bit. They have fixed a lot of things. Previously the enemies could see you from miles away when you were hiding in the dark. Supposedly they tightened up the vision cones a lot so now stealth is a viable option. But about some stats increasing or failing to increase, I found it really hard to tell the difference until I loaded up a profile I had started but not played much into so maybe if something doesn't push a stat up by 1 like it promised it really isn't a big deal.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
So I might be trying out Konami's Suikoden II. Any general pointers? Any missables? Are their any infamous parts to the game that give most players headaches but can be smoothed over with a little foresight (for example: Sten's mandatory chapter in Breath Of Fire 2)?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Eggie posted:

So I might be trying out Konami's Suikoden II. Any general pointers? Any missables? Are their any infamous parts to the game that give most players headaches but can be smoothed over with a little foresight (for example: Sten's mandatory chapter in Breath Of Fire 2)?

Only two tips on the wiki:

quote:

- If you want the true ending, you'll probably want to find a guide to recruiting all 108 stars.
- When you return to your home village at the beginning of the game, don't enter Nanami's home just yet. First, you need to turn around a big tree located at the north of the house. You'll gain one of the stars. Otherwise, you can gain it later but it's much longer and random.

Let me do a Google search, and if I find any more I'll post them here.

Edit: Nope! Those two tips are actually the only two tips Google can find in this entire thread.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 19, 2011

Bosnian!
Dec 22, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Anything on Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain?

Also, what's the link to the wiki?

For Heavy Rain there isn't really much to do right or wrong, but take the game slow and try to enjoy it as much as you can. Chances are you aren't going to play it again when you are done.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Eggie posted:

There are probably some missable stars, including the fact that some decisions will lead your stars to death, but I don't remember offhand. Try to get a star guide without spoilers, if possible. Also, getting the true ending is really hard without a FAQ, and not just for the stars. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to tell you how to do it without spoiling the moment, but at some point pretty late in the game you will see a text prompt that will show a choice (I don't remember if it was actually a choice) that will disappear after a couple seconds, if even that. If you failed to press anything, read up on the true ending, since nothing should be a spoiler at that point. Also don't save over your save after that point if you failed to press the right input.

Also, try to level up at least 18 people by mid-late game. You may know what it pertains to, but if you don't, don't look up why because it is pretty awesome.

Play S1 first. Import your S1 data. The bonus is really, really good, but a lot of the characters are even more awesome because of their involvement in S1.

Clive's sidequest is based on your playtime and there is a very good chance you will miss most of it on your first run.

Other than some of the army battles and a few bosses, it's not really that hard of a game. Cherish it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pierzak posted:

There's two difficulty sliders, one that affects how powerful enemies are (but also how much XP/$ you get for killing them) and one that affects how numerous they are. You can adjust these at any time, so if you feel like things are too easy, or like you're getting your rear end kicked all the time, or like you just want four times as many enemies, but weaker ones, pop open that menu and adjust things.

The Bearkiller .444 is a fantastic anti-armour weapon and is great for killing drat near any one thing, but the four-shot capacity makes it bad for dealing with swarms, which is why you should also unlock the grenade launcher as soon as you can. These two weapons are insanely fun and also very effective.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher

Eggie posted:

Don't bother with the perfect ending of Suikoden II on your first playthrough. It requires you to skip all of the dialogue and play through the game as fast as you can.

*edit* Whoops, nevermind. It's been over a decade since I've played Suikoden II, so my memory is hazy.

Fishmonkey fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 20, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Fishmonkey posted:

Don't bother with the perfect ending of Suikoden II on your first playthrough. It requires you to skip all of the dialogue and play through the game as fast as you can.
No, that's just to finish Clive's sidequest, which has no bearing on the ending. To get the best ending, you need to recruit all 108 stars and do something special near the end.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Any tips for Bastion? Before I Play is pretty scant.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bastion doesn't really need advice, just play it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

Any tips for Bastion? Before I Play is pretty scant.
There are no missables. Later in the game you can build a shop that sells items you might've "missed".

Weapon upgrades are not set in stone; you can return to the forge and switch them later, for free.

Also, it's a great idea to get the achievement building early on and do them. Also the weapon training grounds. Even for 2nd/3th place you get weapon upgrade bits.

Speaking of the training grounds, some are impossible to win with a basic weapon. If you're having problems, upgrade it.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Anything for RAGE?

I have the sewer missions and the extra items if it helps.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Just picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum during the Steam discount. Anything I should know? Any missables, or tips in general? I have no idea what to expect from this game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cervixalot posted:

Just picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum during the Steam discount. Anything I should know? Any missables, or tips in general? I have no idea what to expect from this game.

Expect a lot of fun. There really isn't much of a reason not to stay in detective mode (special vision) all the time but you really don't want to - get out of it and enjoy the visuals at least once in a while. The combat can get a little tricky with the counters and everything, especially against armed enemies, but when you get it right, it's as close to being Batman as you can get without actually beating up criminals in real life.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cervixalot posted:

Getting all the secret stuff requires all the tools, the last of which is the multi-hook grappling gun. Don't bust your brain cells trying to get explosive gel on that ceiling spot three stories off the ground.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Cervixalot posted:

Nothing is missable. A couple of the collectibles are a pain in the dick to get if you miss them the first time, but they're not missable.

Most of the batarang upgrades, except the sonic batarang are gimmicky and you can skip them.

In fights, don't focus on beating one guy down, keep knocking over different thugs. This helps counterattacking - if one of them gets back up and walks kind of near you but stays about 5 feet away, he won't hit you, but if he keeps running he's going to try to swing.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Awesome. Thanks all! Pumped to give this a go.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

President Ark posted:

Most of the batarang upgrades, except the sonic batarang are gimmicky and you can skip them.

I believe the exact opposite to be true. I never onced used that. Batarang upgrades include multiple batarangs and combo batarangs, both of which are essential. On the topic of upgrades, don't bother upgrading to Proximity Gel, because then you can no longer remote detonate gel. Remote detonating gel is 100x more useful than proximity which is basically useless.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Muppetjedi posted:

Anything for RAGE?

You can skip through conversations by walking away until the guy you're talking to stops talking, then walking back to start the next part. Repeat until the talking is done so you can get back to shooting things.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

I believe the exact opposite to be true. I never onced used that. Batarang upgrades include multiple batarangs and combo batarangs, both of which are essential. On the topic of upgrades, don't bother upgrading to Proximity Gel, because then you can no longer remote detonate gel. Remote detonating gel is 100x more useful than proximity which is basically useless.

You can still remote-detonate proximity gel. Wat'chu talkin' 'bout, willis? :confused:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That would have been one hell of an oversight.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

President Ark posted:

You can still remote-detonate proximity gel. Wat'chu talkin' 'bout, willis? :confused:

Hmm, I must be mis-remembering. But say you want to set a trap for a group of dudes but they start coming a small distance apart, only the first guy will get blown up. It really limits the usefulness of the gel in my opinion. What situation would be better for proximity gel? Batman needs total control.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Anybody have any tips for Xenosaga? The in-game tutorial is really vague and unhelpful—for example, I still have no idea what the gently caress boosting is supposed to do or why I should use it. Also if anybody could alert me to any interesting permanently missable stuff with minimal spoilers, that would be nice.

Red Panda
Apr 10, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

The armour upgrades are also an instant health fill, handy if you're having trouble with a boss fight. I kept a point unused just in case if I suspected a boss coming up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How about Arkham City?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cbouncerrun posted:

How about Arkham City?

-You can't get every Riddler trophy you come across right away, you might have to come back with a new gadget. The pink ones are only for Catwoman.
-Riddler's hidden question marks are back. If you see one, find some place to see the whole thing and tap the Detective Mode button.
-When the game is over, you'll get to go back and get anything you missed.
-There are easter eggs everywhere and some of them have achievements for finding them.
-The only immediately useful upgrade you can get is the one that slightly slows time when your freeflow combo hits x12, everything else you can get when you feel it's necessary.
-When your first set of Augmented Reality glide challenges becomes available, do them for a very useful grappling hook upgrade.
-The "Catch" achievement involves a character who you can find on top of the ferris wheel by the steel mill after a certain point in the game. Throw a remote batarang at him. This is also the start of a side-mission.
-There's no time limit on finding new leads for side-missions.
-You can get a totally sweet Batman Beyond skin by buying a can or bottle of NOS energy drink that advertises its' reward program. Register on the company's website to use the points and buy the skin for 1 point.

That about covers it. Have fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There is one missable in Arkham Asylum and that's the Party Crasher achievement. At the end of the game you'll walk through a long corridor with 20 something thugs wearing party hats. They're not hostile but this is the only time to get the achievement by beating the poo poo out of them.

I kicked all their asses in a perfect, unbroken combo on hard mode. Best feeling in the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there anything I should know about Armored Core 4?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mr E posted:

Is there anything I should know about Armored Core 4?

-Machineguns are your best friend, and tend to be disgustingly powerful.
-Quickboosting is a disgustingly essential skill for getting through a bunch of missions, and you should make use of it, if not spam it, often.
-I forget if the game explains it or not, but there's a quick-turn in the form of doing a quick boost while in the midst of a standing turn. A good thing to learn for NEXT battling is to boost past and make a quick-turn to get some shots at their back.
-Last I checked, Overboosting is next to useless. It has a negligible duration, saps all your PA, and more or less cripples your movement. It doesn't become good until ACfA.

There are other things, but, really, I've forgotten most of AC4. If you like it by the time you're done, move onto For Answer. If you think it's only okay, try For Answer anyways. It makes a whole ton of improvements that, quite frankly, really needed to be made.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Should I play the original Homeworld before 2, or is the sequel superior in significant ways?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

_jink posted:

Should I play the original Homeworld before 2, or is the sequel superior in significant ways?
There is a fair amount of controversy surrounding Homeworld 2, especially in relation to how enemy fleets scale (meaning that you can build yourself into defeat, because the enemy strength is based on your fleet strength, leading to the paradox that missions can become easier the smaller your fleet is, and building up to max can scale the enemy into "unwinnably powerful" territory).

Play Homeworld 1 first would be my suggestion. I'd also consider giving Homeworld: Cataclysm a serious consideration. Both games have, from what I understand*, superior stories to HW2.

*I've not played 2, but I can vouch for the quality of HW1 and HW:C

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Muppetjedi posted:

Anything for RAGE?

Buy the half-binocular thing ASAP. It's actually a scope for your starting pistol, which given upgraded ammunition makes it the best weapon in the game until the very end. Buy the Fat Whatevers ammunition recipe ASAP.

You will grab a lot of junk from the missions, remember to sell it. Stuff that's marked with $ in the sell menu can be sold in peace. With the exception of feltrite crystals - those have another use as well.

You get some bonus items for jumping vehicles into those floating Authority thingamajigs. If the nearby turrets start shooting you, remember you can destroy them too (ram them with your car or whatever).

Sentry turrets are worthless. Sentry bots however kick a fair bit of rear end. Use your components to build the latter.

Rocket Rally races can be hard. Remember the pattern in which the hotspots appear in, and upon capturing one, don't head for the next one unless you're sure you can grab it, but the one after that.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of the monocular, I don't think I ever used iron-sights for anything in the game except for weapons with scopes. The guns have laser accuracy and the crosshairs are pretty tight so just run and gun your way to victory.