Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

Honestly, aside from Opera (which is loving awesome) I would avoid watching any Argento stuff through Netflix.

The thing is, a company has been making edited "rental versions" of Argento movies (Deep Red, Suspiria, and Inferno mainly) that have no special features and look and sound like rear end, and selling them to Netflix. In their infinite wisdom, Netflix has decided to use these instead of the amazing Blue Underground discs.

This isn't a huge issue regarding streaming, except at the very least Suspiria was the heavily-edited (to the point of incomprehensibility) R-rated version when it was on instant, and Inferno may or may not be the same way as well.

I think the Suspiria thing can be linked to Fox, they aired the same edited all to hell version on Fox Movie Channel. As far as I know though, Inferno is the full version. Deep Red is missing like 22 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure they are using pan-and-scan versions too, which is just preposterous.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

WickedIcon posted:

Honestly, aside from Opera (which is loving awesome) I would avoid watching any Argento stuff through Netflix.

The thing is, a company has been making edited "rental versions" of Argento movies (Deep Red, Suspiria, and Inferno mainly) that have no special features and look and sound like rear end, and selling them to Netflix. In their infinite wisdom, Netflix has decided to use these instead of the amazing Blue Underground discs.

This isn't a huge issue regarding streaming, except at the very least Suspiria was the heavily-edited (to the point of incomprehensibility) R-rated version when it was on instant, and Inferno may or may not be the same way as well.

I watched both Suspiria and Inferno through instant watch. Maybe they're better in the other version, but I can confirm that they're still a ton of fun in the instant watch versions.

Both were wide screen. Neither seemed edited based on the level of nudity and gore.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Jack Gladney posted:

Hellhouse

I'm a sucker for documentaries about weird subcultures, so I really enjoyed this film about an enclave of fundamentalist Christians who put on a haunted house for Halloween that's designed to scare people into joining their religion. It's basically a community theater production where people engage in enthusiastic tryouts to play the part of "rapist" and "gay guy dying of AIDS" (the most coveted role seems to be a girl who dies while getting an abortion) in moralistic vignettes, and the cognitive dissonance on display is simply amazing. Everybody's navigating a situation where they're excited to portray people and things they think are evil: there's a scene where a guy describes how he met his girlfriend while she was playing "suicide girl" and he was playing a demon tempting her to kill herself, and it gets really uncomfortable because the guy's obviously trying not to think about how hosed up his story is. It's also fascinating to see the way these people portray secular American culture.

I think it does a pretty good job getting inside the lives and culture of these people and letting them keep their dignity, but it also provides a good view of how repugnant many of their beliefs are. There's certainly a sense that these people could get pretty vicious with someone they consider an outsider.

Also There is a fantastic shot where they're making up a set where a satanic ritual will take place, and one of the dudes draws a star of David instead of a pentagram.

I'm watching this right now and am about halfway through, and I am furious as I watch this movie. Just the pure insanity of the thought processes of everyone involved is mind boggling.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

ryan_woody posted:

I'm watching this right now and am about halfway through, and I am furious as I watch this movie. Just the pure insanity of the thought processes of everyone involved is mind boggling.

Is it just me or is the "former raver guy" waaaaaay too obsessed with making sure they get the rave scene right?

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Beneath the surface lies the future.
I watched Midnight Cowboy for the first time today and I was really impressed. It was slightly depressing but also very heart warming too. The acting was just superb. And of course it contains this iconic line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c412hqucHKw

By the end of the movie I just felt so bad for the Ratso character. I was really touched. Great harmonica theme music too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffLQxx7jT-I&feature=related

A must watch if you have never seen it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whoa. When did Netflix add Law & Order? Like, 8 seasons of it? I think I just coughed up blood.

fake edit: the original (re: good) one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Manky posted:

Whoa. When did Netflix add Law & Order? Like, 8 seasons of it? I think I just coughed up blood.

Abwuuuuh? The first 8 or just eight random seasons?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Oh wow, gonna have to get on watching that. :doink:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Manky posted:

According to IMDB....
Season 3: Episode 9 is the first appearance of Lennie Briscoe.
Season 5: Episode 1 is the first appearance of Jack McCoy.

Guess I'll be starting with season 5 :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fenix down posted:

According to IMDB....
Season 3: Episode 9 is the first appearance of Lennie Briscoe.
Season 5: Episode 1 is the first appearance of Jack McCoy.

Guess I'll be starting with season 5 :)

The first season is actually really good.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Is it just me or is the "former raver guy" waaaaaay too obsessed with making sure they get the rave scene right?

Most definitely. And he seems like such a loving creeper, too. I was part of a youth group in high school that, while nowhere near this level of crazy, reminds me of this a bit. *shudder*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ryan_woody posted:

They're brains are broken because they're excited about enacting the very things they're supposed to hate the most. Also their incredible ignorance and bigotry really grate against how normal they seem otherwise. On that count I think they're mostly sincerely naive and ignorant about the reality of the things they represent in their community theater hell house. Like, they've just heard that's how it is and they believe what they've heard without question.

That may or may not mitigate your fury.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

They're brains are broken because they're excited about enacting the very things they're supposed to hate the most. Also their incredible ignorance and bigotry really grate against how normal they seem otherwise. On that count I think they're mostly sincerely naive and ignorant about the reality of the things they represent in their community theater hell house. Like, they've just heard that's how it is and they believe what they've heard without question.

That may or may not mitigate your fury.

I think my fury was compounded by the fact that I watched this immediately after watching Let's talk about sex, which is about the absolute failure that is abstinence only sex-education, as well as American sex education in general. After those two movies, I had had just about enough conservative groupthink for an afternoon, I guess.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm pretty sure they are using pan-and-scan versions too, which is just preposterous.
Blue Velvet is on there in pan-and-scan, which really irritates me whenever I think about it. I would recommend Seraphim Falls for this thread, except that it seems like it's not even pan-and-scan, but squished together, so everyone is stretched vertically. I can't tell people to watch something that looks so crappy!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

The first season is actually really good.
I checked out the first episode. I like the detectives but the Kevin Spacey-ish attorney doesn't hold a candle to my main man.

:patriot: :patriot:

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
I had never heard of this movie before, but The Train, 1964, starring Burt Lancaster and directed by John Frankenheimer, is pretty great. It's a black and white french resistance movie and it has lots of sweet footage of classic locomotives and other good stuff. I really enjoyed it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Netflix JUST added a South African show called Charlie Jade, which I read about a long time ago on these very forums, but it hasn't been available anywhere on Region 1 DVDs, and wasn't on Netflix until I just randomly searched for it this morning. It's supposed to be a mind-blowing sci-fi noir series about a world-weary private detective who travels between three very different parallel Earths. I haven't seen Fringe, but it has been described to me as a very similar concept to that show, only darker and more hard-boiled, and of course it came out earlier and was done with a much lower budget. I love stuff about alternate universes and parallel dimensions, and I'm a sucker for detective stories and film noir crossovers with other genres, so I intend to start watching it today.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Does anyone here use Feedflix premium? Has it proven to be worthwhile, or should I just keep switching browser tabs to deal with my instant queue?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Netflix JUST added a South African show called Charlie Jade, which I read about a long time ago on these very forums, but it hasn't been available anywhere on Region 1 DVDs, and wasn't on Netflix until I just randomly searched for it this morning. It's supposed to be a mind-blowing sci-fi noir series about a world-weary private detective who travels between three very different parallel Earths. I haven't seen Fringe, but it has been described to me as a very similar concept to that show, only darker and more hard-boiled, and of course it came out earlier and was done with a much lower budget. I love stuff about alternate universes and parallel dimensions, and I'm a sucker for detective stories and film noir crossovers with other genres, so I intend to start watching it today.

I like Charlie Jade a lot. The early episodes have a different feel to the later ones because the producers were replaced after episode 8 or something. If the early ones turn you off try to stick with it because it gets better once the change occurs. My main complaint with the show is that the dystopian future universe is the most interesting but they spend way more time in our normal universe. Probably due to costs.

The Dittus
Dec 8, 2006
Want to have your soul absolutely crushed, in a good way? Check out Ponette, a French film about a little girl whose mother dies in a car crash and is sent to live with her cousins to deal with the death of her mom. It is heartbreaking and some of the best child acting I've ever seen. It is fantastic.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Manky posted:

Years ago. I've had it in my queue around the time they started streaming.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I watched The Perfect Host based on the recommendation and was all ready to second the notion. Until the third act of the movie. Absolutely loving destroys the film, makes it convoluted for no reason and screams of a studio that felt the original ending was too dark. Watch it for about an hour and ten minutes then please turn it off for the sake of your own enjoyment.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

chemosh6969 posted:

Years ago. I've had it in my queue around the time they started streaming.

Seriously? I had seen they had SVU before. I've wasted so much time.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mouser.. posted:

I watched The Perfect Host based on the recommendation and was all ready to second the notion. Until the third act of the movie. Absolutely loving destroys the film, makes it convoluted for no reason and screams of a studio that felt the original ending was too dark. Watch it for about an hour and ten minutes then please turn it off for the sake of your own enjoyment.

Yeah I think that was most of the reviews main problems with the movie, the wrap up.

But still, c'mon:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
The Perfect Host is basically a really mediocre movie with one fantastic performance in it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Manky posted:

Seriously? I had seen they had SVU before. I've wasted so much time.

That's one thing I hate about browsing their instant stuff. I always get the feeling like there's a lot more stuff out there that's just being hidden unless I use some specific search criteria. I always stumble upon stuff I want to watch when searching titles to rent that I've never seen when just browsing the instant watch.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah I think that was most of the reviews main problems with the movie, the wrap up.

But still, c'mon:

Is there a clip of that whole sequence online? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I enjoyed Perfect Host, the movie makes no sense but I don't care. I always have thought that David Hyde Pierce should play really crazy villainous bastards, so this was a step in that direction.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Wabbit posted:

Is there a clip of that whole sequence online? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I enjoyed Perfect Host, the movie makes no sense but I don't care. I always have thought that David Hyde Pierce should play really crazy villainous bastards, so this was a step in that direction.

Not the best resolution but what you asked for:

DHP does the Car Wash

triteon
Feb 20, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

That's one thing I hate about browsing their instant stuff. I always get the feeling like there's a lot more stuff out there that's just being hidden unless I use some specific search criteria. I always stumble upon stuff I want to watch when searching titles to rent that I've never seen when just browsing the instant watch.

They just added it recently. I got Netflix in September and it was the first thing I searched for. They only had it on DVD at the time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mouser.. posted:

Honestly, I really liked the little twist that they added to Warwick. It actually made him even more interesting and in a way, a lot more twisted. The problem was that someone felt that the other story being told needed to be wrapped up, and it just basically loses its sense of direction.

But honestly, when I think about the film, I just kind of forget the ending. Yeah, it's there, but what really drives it for me is the play between Warwick and the guy who robbed the bank.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mouser.. posted:

Not the best resolution but what you asked for:

DHP does the Car Wash

Thank you! Now to find somebody with gif skills...

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Last night, the wife and I watched the Paul Newman classic "The Hustler" (1961).

Starring: Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, George C. Scott, and Jackie Gleason
Director: Robert Rossen
Screenplay: Robert Rossen and Sidney Carrol

Adapted from the 1959 novel of the same name, "The Hustler" tells the story of "Fast" Eddie Felson. Eddie is a pool shark/hustler on the rise. This film revolves around his career, his obsession with winning, and how that obsession changes his life and the lives of those around him.

Newman as Fast Eddie - a fine looking young gentleman who's about to take your money.

A friend of mine told me years ago that I should watch this, but I hadn't gotten around to it until last night. I assume most people have seen this, as it is a classic, but I have to say that if you haven't, I highly recommend it. I expected this story to be about the fast moving greasy world of pool hustling. To an extent, that's right, but honestly this movie tackles way more personal issues than I had expected it to. Saying this movie is about pool is akin to saying The Wrestler is about wrestling.

George C. Scott as Bert, a real winner.

Paul Newman and George C. Scott really steal the show in this movie. My list of Paul Newman movies is embarrassingly short (which I'm remedying), and the only movie I remember seeing George C. Scott in is Dr. Strangelove. George C. Scott plays a man who gambles on things he knows he can win. A poker man by trade, but shows an interest in Newman's raw talent. I wish Scott's character could have been introduced into the movie earlier, but this is a very long and complex tale where a couple characters come and go. He left me wanting more in a good way. So did Newman, for that matter. He's wonderful in this movie.

Piper Laurie plays Eddie's love interest, Sarah. I thought Piper Laurie did well in most scenes, but Sarah's character and motivations felt underdeveloped. Sometimes Laurie's acting came off as melodramatic because of this. Sarah realizes how much the game consumes Eddie, and it hurts her deeply. I think Sarah deserved more screen time to develop her motivations, but I'm not really sure where you could have squeezed them in (it's a pretty long movie already).

Jackie Gleason as Minnesota Fats.

Jackie Gleason plays Minnesota Fats, said to be the best pool shark in the country. He does extremely well in his portrayal of this character, giving depth to a man with only a handful of lines. That being said, he's only really in two scenes.

5/5, this movie is really something special.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Manky posted:

Gentlemen, gentlemen. I personally am conflicted over Jane Lynch because my love for Christopher Guest movies is in an epic battle with my unabiding hatred for Glee. But I think we can all agree that Party Down is fantastic.

Ken Marino is awesome. Since this whole thread is about this, anyone else watch Reaper? It's about a college dropout whose parents sold his soul to the devil, and he has to deal with the consequences. Marino plays a gay demon. It's...honestly pretty good.

ninja edit: I must admit that I have sort of a boner for modern depictions of Satan and the Grim Reaper.

Reaper was a fantastic series and I was a fan of it when it first aired. It ends on a serious "what the gently caress why isn't there another season" note though, so beware!

And Ray Wise is fantastic as Satan. He's so awesome.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fenix down posted:

I checked out the first episode. I like the detectives but the Kevin Spacey-ish attorney doesn't hold a candle to my main man.

:patriot: :patriot:

McCoy's great and would go on some crazy rants, but Ben Stone could stare a motherfucker down and get the plea agreement.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

triteon posted:

They just added it recently. I got Netflix in September and it was the first thing I searched for. They only had it on DVD at the time.

Huh, I thought I had it for a long time. Guess I'm confusing it with something else.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I remember him talking about how after raves they would just bring the body bags out of all the dead people and form a pile or something. I don't think he has actually ever been to a rave in his life.

gregday
May 23, 2003

foodfight posted:

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

Do you like human misery? Cry and laugh along with West Virginia's most famous hillbillies. There is some absolutely MESSED UP stuff in this documentary.

I'm on a quest to get everyone I know to watch this. The Taco Bell scene alone is worth it.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Robot_Rumpus posted:

I remember him talking about how after raves they would just bring the body bags out of all the dead people and form a pile or something. I don't think he has actually ever been to a rave in his life.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that line. I couldn't tell if he actually was trying to convince the camera that they drug people out in body bags from a rave, or if he just sucked at articulating his point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

gregday posted:

I'm on a quest to get everyone I know to watch this. The Taco Bell scene alone is worth it.

Y'all got mozzarella sticks?

• Locked thread