Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

It's posts like these that remind me why I've come back to SA after all these years. This will be awesome for the retro LAN party I want to run!

Did anyone else buy the Doom 1&2 bundle in the late 90s that came with a CD-ROM full of the best community mods? I remember it blowing my mind at the time, mainly because it seemed really awesome/unusual to me that a real life publishing house would publish content from internet amateurs... which happily has become the norm these days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

trandorian posted:

"John Romero generated the par times by completing each level as fast as possible, rounding off the resulting time and adding 30 seconds."

:madmax:

To clarify, Romero didn't 100% each level to get his par times; he ran straight to the exit.

Christmas Present: Would you be referring to the Depths of Doom trilogy, which included the Master Levels and the Maximum Doom collection?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

trandorian posted:

"John Romero generated the par times by completing each level as fast as possible, rounding off the resulting time and adding 30 seconds."

:madmax:

So he beat Hangar in less than one second? :crossarms:

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

Christmas Present posted:

Did anyone else buy the Doom 1&2 bundle in the late 90s that came with a CD-ROM full of the best community mods? I remember it blowing my mind at the time, mainly because it seemed really awesome/unusual to me that a real life publishing house would publish content from internet amateurs... which happily has become the norm these days!

I'm pretty sure this is what you're talking about!

More info: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Dominic White posted:

Well, if not quite Doom 3, then it's an interesting look at what Doom 2 would have been like on a more powerful system a few years later. No new enemies and only one new gun, but yeah, it does the grimdark atmosphere better.

This thread inspired me to give Doom64 EX a spin, and it really reminds me of the original Doom more than the sequel (except for the fact that you can use the super shotgun). I'm only up to level 5 or 6, but so far I love it. The map makers did a very good job, the new sprites are IMO much better than the originals, and the upgrades to the game engine gave the mappers some fun things to toy with (I got really thrown off the first time I went to pick up a key card and it teleported across the room). Now if only there was a way to play Brutal Doom 64...

...but it's also buggy. Beating the secret level Hectic crashes the game, and don't run it in 1366x768 windowed if you want to be able to save your game (better write down those passwords!)

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 23, 2011

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Also I'm surprised that the Icon of Sin was no less difficult despite being able to jump and aim with the mouse.
Jumping might not matter but vertical mouselook makes the Icon of Sin incredibly easy.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Oh man. Oh, MAN. That is the best OP I have seen in my entire stint as a goon, I commend you.

And I have to give it up for the dudes who made these games. I was... I think 9 years old in 2000, and my entire video game experience consisted of Playstation and Sega Genesis. I never got to play any of this stuff until it was years out of date and I'd already been spoiled by things like Halo and Half Life 2, and it is a testiment to the quality of their design that in many ways I actually like these old fossils better.

Especially Unreal Tournament. I seriously need some goon server action with that gem. :hellyeah:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Im having problems with Doom64EX, when i launch it, it says that i dont have the file MSVCR71.dll (Win7 x64 here). Google says that is something related to windows XP framework stuff... i have the latest framework for win7 that includes all the XP versions and files as some steam games install it before launching.

Any idea on how to fix it?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

renart posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what you're talking about!

More info: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Levels_for_Doom_II

Fun time: open up both packages the master levels are included in and look at the price they're individually listed at.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

treat posted:

This Sunday, October 23rd, starting @ 4pm EST is Quake 2 Mod Love Weekend. I know Q2 gets a lot of grief here, but if there was nothing outstanding about the game, that sentiment certainly didn't apply to the mods, so no need for rose-tinted glasses. No need for poo poo-tinted glasses, either. There will be more than enough BROWN for everybody.

Lineup so far is Action Quake 2 (http://www.fileplanet.com/74222/0/0/0/1/section/Mod_Files), GLOOM (http://www.planetgloom.com/), Rocket Arena (http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/7546) and JAILBREAK. Files for Jailbreak, QPong and Catch the Chicken here.

Source Ports - R1Q2 (http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/)
EGL Quake 2 (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/q2/ - Scroll down to EGL, download individual files)

Lastly, if anyone has Plat or direct contact with R1CH (R1Q2, long time GLOOM sever and website host, Lost Continents TF2 servers host, all around total dude): invite him to this event, thank him for all he's done for shut-ins with internet access, or if you're feeling extra generous help him pay his bills.

Thinking of playing for an hour or so later - it'll be 9pm BST here :) Bit confused about the source ports thing though - which mod goes with which port? Also do I need anything else to connect to a game?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

...but it's also buggy. Beating the secret level Hectic crashes the game, and don't run it in 1366x768 windowed if you want to be able to save your game (better write down those passwords!)

Edit your config to run fullscreen at the res you'd like. I am running 1680 x 945, no problems.

Guillermus posted:

Im having problems with Doom64EX, when i launch it, it says that i dont have the file MSVCR71.dll (Win7 x64 here). Google says that is something related to windows XP framework stuff... i have the latest framework for win7 that includes all the XP versions and files as some steam games install it before launching.

Any idea on how to fix it?

I had the exact same problem. Download the MSVCR71.dll and put it in your SYSWOW64 folder in Windows. The other directories should already have this file. Tell me if this works.

Convex posted:

Thinking of playing for an hour or so later - it'll be 9pm BST here :) Bit confused about the source ports thing though - which mod goes with which port? Also do I need anything else to connect to a game?

EGL quake should work with everything. Just put your game folders into the Q2 directory. Just like "rogue" or "xatrix"

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Convex posted:

R1Q1 is a more vanilla, multiplayer focused and highly mod compatible port while EGL has high resolution textures and other various graphical improvements, but should work just fine.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Don't know if Rocket Arena can install on Windows 7 64 bit... Damnit.

It seems the gloom website won't let me download anything. Suggestions?

Also, if anyone wants to pre-load game files. Just type in console "game jail" for jailbreak, etc.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kazvall posted:

I had the exact same problem. Download the MSVCR71.dll and put it in your SYSWOW64 folder in Windows. The other directories should already have this file. Tell me if this works.

Yeah it worked thanks! Other point is that after three levels im not liking it that much, the music is just creepy ambience sound and the weapons feel bland. I think Brutal Doom ruined every other experience for me :shobon:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Guillermus posted:

Yeah it worked thanks! Other point is that after three levels im not liking it that much, the music is just creepy ambience sound and the weapons feel bland. I think Brutal Doom ruined every other experience for me :shobon:

Try playing Doom 3 for a bit, that should recalibrate your ideas about boring FPSs.

Beefheart
May 5, 2003

Is that Action Quake 2 server up yet? I want to play.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

Try playing Doom 3 for a bit, that should recalibrate your ideas about boring FPSs.

I did and i like it more than doom64, wich is just a reskin of doom with boring shotguns and worse sounds. At least i have a bunch of mods for doom3 making it better than vanilla (it wasnt great but hey).

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Beefheart posted:

Is that Action Quake 2 server up yet? I want to play.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

We should get rolling in about an hour, and we mostly coordinate through the group chat.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My main problem with Doom 3 was that most fights result in you backtracking along a narrow corridor or start with the increasingly predictable lights go out pentagram Imp spawn that's hardly challenging on hard difficulty. I can see mods improving the latter, but how could they improve map design that's geared toward suspense and shock instead of fun gunplay?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I get your point, and i agree with it. Im not saying Doom 3 is awesome. It was a decent FPS but definitely not what we wanted, wich was a visually upgraded and modernized doom1/2: lots of enemies, fast gunplay, and giving you more the feeling of being a bad rear end instead of the survival horror direction.

I have mixed feelings towards Doom 4 because of Carmack's words about it being a "cinematic" experience but also saying that putting a lower fps cap allows to put lots of monsters in the map. I enjoyed RAGE a lot wich was basically their tech demo for the new engine (cept the ending wich was bland). Guns will make enemies stumble while they run, make them missfire to their mates, or gunshots making armor parts fly leaving the body exposed. The whole ammo system (also carrying 9 weapons plus fists) helped to add variety.

Is kinda weird to say this but John Romero did a great job with Doom map design, a thing Id never got right after he left.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Now he's putting out facebook aps. My little carnival simulator.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They need to get Romero and Carmack on some sort of TV show like Oprah or Maury or something so they can work out their differences, hug each other, maybe hit each other with a chair for a few minutes, then get back to making Doom the best game ever.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I think the main problem with ID is that they've grown too afraid to buck the trends. In every interview Carmack says Quake 3 is his favorite ID game, and he's right as hell. However, instead of making killer action games for forever they were afraid that only games with a strong narrative elements would sell, and they made Doom 3. It sold like crazy, but no one thinks it's the best game of all time. Then comes Rage, with even more dialog and heavy Call of Duty influences.

No one ever gets ahead by playing follow the leader. They should be like Apple and make things that people didn't even realize they wanted. They created a loving genre, I know they've still got it in them.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I think whoever said earlier (apologies, can't find the exact quote) that id should just make a game with a cut down team had it spot on. Their work is too art driven now, created by a massive number of people who simply can't communicate cohesively. Just make us an 'indie' with a new tech that doesn't need a Hollywood budget. Also a super shotgun.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

microwave casserole posted:

I think the main problem with ID is that they've grown too afraid to buck the trends. In every interview Carmack says Quake 3 is his favorite ID game, and he's right as hell. However, instead of making killer action games for forever they were afraid that only games with a strong narrative elements would sell, and they made Doom 3. It sold like crazy, but no one thinks it's the best game of all time. Then comes Rage, with even more dialog and heavy Call of Duty influences.

No one ever gets ahead by playing follow the leader. They should be like Apple and make things that people didn't even realize they wanted. They created a loving genre, I know they've still got it in them.

I think you're underselling how hard it is to be genuinely innovative. Some people paint Rage as a tech demo, but I think it was really them swinging for the fences. I'm sure at the start of development, they envisioned a perfect blend of shooter and arcade racing(plus Twisted Metal) in a cool, immersive world, the immediate analogies to which would at least be something like Mad Max and not other shooters. I think this was intended to be Rage's brand identity and it was supposed to be something special. It just so happens that the stuff outside of the shooting turned out looking not so hot. I respect the ideas they had and I think it would be a mistake to make Doom 4 into Doom 2 with displacement mapping and I think it would be a mistake if they decided to ditch the stuff they're trying to do with Rage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Plus hey, Doom was really just Wolf 3D with demons and non orthogonal rooms. And Wolf 3D was Castle Wolfenstein but 3D.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

trandorian posted:

Plus hey, Doom was really just Wolf 3D with demons and non orthogonal rooms. And Wolf 3D was Castle Wolfenstein but 3D.
Actually, Castle Wolfenstein had stealth elements. Wolf3d planned to imitate that but ended up as more arcadey.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

In my experience playing Wolf3D on higher difficulties still requires a bit of stealth. I mean if you consider using gunshots to lure a train of guards into a room and shooting them in the face as they round the corner to be stealth.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think you're underselling how hard it is to be genuinely innovative. Some people paint Rage as a tech demo, but I think it was really them swinging for the fences. I'm sure at the start of development, they envisioned a perfect blend of shooter and arcade racing(plus Twisted Metal) in a cool, immersive world, the immediate analogies to which would at least be something like Mad Max and not other shooters. I think this was intended to be Rage's brand identity and it was supposed to be something special. It just so happens that the stuff outside of the shooting turned out looking not so hot. I respect the ideas they had and I think it would be a mistake to make Doom 4 into Doom 2 with displacement mapping and I think it would be a mistake if they decided to ditch the stuff they're trying to do with Rage.

Rage tries to be this cinematic experience, something id just can't seem to pull off. They either need to hire someone to do their story and dialogue or just focus on "oh poo poo, monsters everywhere" storytelling. The Rage is better than Doom 3 in terms of gameplay, but its filled with too many slow moments that intend to immerse you in the world (unsuccessfully). Gears of War are legitimate badgames if you take away the coop mode and the story is Michael Bay, yet somehow you can still immerse yourself and have fun if you take it for what it is.

Willits, Romero and McGee are amazing level designers, but apparently they're more or less bad at being king. There's no way Doom 4 will play like Doom 2, what I'm hoping for is a better Quake 4 style game I guess.

Paul Pot fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 24, 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Am I better off playing Doom 3 on PC or Xbox? I already own both, via the iD pack and a clearance sale on Xbox games long ago. I've got a Intel Core i5 2.27 GHz laptop, not sure if that's really good enough since I remember Doom 3's system requirements being notoriously steep at the time. I still have my O.G. Xbox hooked up, even have the component cables and 5.1 sound set up for it, so unless there's something terribly crippling about that version I think I'll go that route.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
So I'm replaying Tomb Raider 3 for nostalgia value, I got to the Nevada desert level, and noticed this:

The bad guys have Lost Souls on their jackets! :haw:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Goddamn are PS1 era 3D games terrible looking.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yodzilla posted:

Agreedo. It sure did 2D games with 3D effects/extras well, though [SOTN, FF Tactics, etc]

Though Einhander does look pretty awesome still, especially when emulated at high res.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I think that's actually the PC port. But yeah, you're right. PSX couldn't handle 3D textures very well, so wall textures constantly warp and stretch as you pass by. The technology really was in its infancy back then.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yodzilla posted:

At least the N64 included auto-blurring to help obscure blocky models. :v:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Zero Star posted:

I think that's actually the PC port. But yeah, you're right. PSX couldn't handle 3D textures very well, so wall textures constantly warp and stretch as you pass by. The technology really was in its infancy back then.
Before the advent of 3D cards, quite a few games that prominently featured texture-mapped polygons would exhibit this problem regardless of platform. Perspective-correct texturing required a fair bit of processing power, so not bothering with it would give a nice performance boost at the expense of all that nauseating warping and stretching.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Minidust posted:

Am I better off playing Doom 3 on PC or Xbox? I already own both, via the iD pack and a clearance sale on Xbox games long ago. I've got a Intel Core i5 2.27 GHz laptop, not sure if that's really good enough since I remember Doom 3's system requirements being notoriously steep at the time. I still have my O.G. Xbox hooked up, even have the component cables and 5.1 sound set up for it, so unless there's something terribly crippling about that version I think I'll go that route.

I'd bet your laptop is more powerful than a 10 y/o console and might even have a mouse.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Before the advent of 3D cards, quite a few games that prominently featured texture-mapped polygons would exhibit this problem regardless of platform. Perspective-correct texturing required a fair bit of processing power, so not bothering with it would give a nice performance boost at the expense of all that nauseating warping and stretching.
Eh, I guess I only ever noticed it on PSX. Mind you, there are some (poo poo) Xbox games that have this problem as well.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Yodzilla posted:

Psygnosis' games looked great. :colbert:

Sombrerotron posted:

Oh it's much worse than that. The PSX did not support "3D" in any modern sense. It has no Z-buffer, and no perspective correction, and triangle coordinates are specified in 2D.

For added fun, it also has no FPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

OneEightHundred posted:

Oh it's much worse than that. The PSX did not support "3D" in any modern sense. It has no Z-buffer, and no perspective correction, and triangle coordinates are specified in 2D.
All this is very true, but neither did oldtimey PCs without dedicated 3D cards.

EDIT: My point being that they could perform perspective correction, they just had to do it in software and that typically wasn't very economical.