Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

zinc68 posted:

The last thing you want (probably) is prostock skates. They are pretty much all weird sizes. Just go to your local store and try on everything until you find something that fits.

I actually want a super stiff boot with additional ankle padding but will probably end up custom ordering if I decide to go the pro stock route.

Found a new pro shop here in LA on MSH that is all about customization. Going to see if they can repair the toe cap to buy me some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

poser posted:

Do you remember what the calls were? I know I usually take more penalties playing lower because people cant skate. In the higher league I can lift someones stick and take the puck without any issues.. In the lower league sometimes they fall and I get called for it.
2 for tripping, 2 for running one of our own guys over, 5 for throwing his stick in the box, 5 for boarding. It was like a loving circus. We were tied 2-2 when he put us shorthanded for the entire 3rd period. We lost 3-2, playing the #1 team in the league.

poo poo like that is why were are 0-4-1.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

I actually want a super stiff boot with additional ankle padding but will probably end up custom ordering if I decide to go the pro stock route.

Found a new pro shop here in LA on MSH that is all about customization. Going to see if they can repair the toe cap to buy me some time

Should look at the One100's Some of the stiffest boots on the market, and have decent ankle support to boot (with room for modification if needed)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RazorDX posted:

2 for tripping, 2 for running one of our own guys over, 5 for throwing his stick in the box, 5 for boarding. It was like a loving circus. We were tied 2-2 when he put us shorthanded for the entire 3rd period. We lost 3-2, playing the #1 team in the league.

poo poo like that is why were are 0-4-1.

We used to have a guy in my league who would pretty much do the same thing, except he was an awful hockey player. I say used to have, because I haven't seen him at the rink in 1.5 years or so. Pretty sure he got banned for life, or finally re-evaluated his choice of hobbies.

There was literally something wrong in this guy's head. He definitely wasn't all there. Every game we played this guy, something small would ignite this guy's fuse and he'd blow his goddamn lid. Screaming at the our team, his team, the refs, the crowd, whoever was within 50 feet of him. He'd end up throwing his gear all over, slamming doors, etc. Even his own team hated him. Pretty sure there's a facebook fan page dedicated to him too.

It was honestly hilarious to watch, but the extent that this guy would blow up, I really felt bad for any kids who had to watch that poo poo. I can't even count how many times this guy got suspended in my first season.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Have you guys ever heard of Beaster sticks? http://www.beasterhockey.net/!sticks

I was talking to the dude working at the proshop today and he showed me some that they have in, their B1 is 395 grams and felt entirely too light. Super ugly sticks too but the 10 year-olds at the rink thought they were rad.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

sellouts posted:

Reebok 11k's are basically exactly that.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Man I love winning trophies, my work team finally won our championship after getting to the finals for 2 straight seasons.

Happened to play the same team in the finals and of course they were utter cunts when we got ahead by 1. Thankfully because they're mongoloids they gave us an extended 5-on-3 power-play that we managed to capitalize on and get the eventual game-winner.

Of course being the poor sports they are after we got our picture taken and did a cheesy "EA Sports, it's in the game" while getting a picture taken they decide to shout out "Madden sucks!"

Really classy guys :bravo:

It's ok though because we'll continue to beat them and hopefully win another title next season.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Really disappointing 6-5 loss last night.

Played a chippy team who wound up instigating a fight with our 2nd best player. Best part: their goalie was third man in. Both skaters were ejected, but no suspensions levied. The whole situation was very :psyduck:

Have a serious question about forward positioning though, as I can't help but feel responsible for giving up the game-winning goal. I'm in the offensive zone and their D gets the puck and passes it forward. Both our D are back so it's effectively 2v2 with me hustling to get back. Play gets taken to the corner about the same time as I reach the blue line, and am kind of coasting closer since their D aren't pressing. Our 2nd defensemen then decides to skate into the corner/towards the boards at the same time their 2nd O goes to the slot. I'm behind the play watching this break down.

My question is, should I have skated hard at the to-be shooter to help out, or should I have been covering my man/looking for an outlet at the point?

Here's a graphical depiction of what happened ... my team is green, I'm the sad face. Black arrows are person movement, pink is puck movement.
http://imgur.com/0lX6w

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You definitely could have helped with more hustle, but your D is the core failure for abandoning the goalie.

Or that forward hanging out on the far boards. He should have been in the slot.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

cenzo posted:

Really disappointing 6-5 loss last night.

Played a chippy team who wound up instigating a fight with our 2nd best player. Best part: their goalie was third man in. Both skaters were ejected, but no suspensions levied. The whole situation was very :psyduck:

Have a serious question about forward positioning though, as I can't help but feel responsible for giving up the game-winning goal. I'm in the offensive zone and their D gets the puck and passes it forward. Both our D are back so it's effectively 2v2 with me hustling to get back. Play gets taken to the corner about the same time as I reach the blue line, and am kind of coasting closer since their D aren't pressing. Our 2nd defensemen then decides to skate into the corner/towards the boards at the same time their 2nd O goes to the slot. I'm behind the play watching this break down.

My question is, should I have skated hard at the to-be shooter to help out, or should I have been covering my man/looking for an outlet at the point?

Here's a graphical depiction of what happened ... my team is green, I'm the sad face. Black arrows are person movement, pink is puck movement.

Are you missing some players from your diagram or was it 4v4?

If it was 4v4 I would say your 2nd defenseman lost his man and it's not on you. If it was 5v5 and you were the 3rd man back and there was an unpictured 3rd opposing forward coming into the slot I think you should have picked him up and trusted that one of your other forwards would cover your point.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Thufir posted:

Are you missing some players from your diagram or was it 4v4?

If it was 4v4 I would say your 2nd defenseman lost his man and it's not on you. If it was 5v5 and you were the 3rd man back and there was an unpictured 3rd opposing forward coming into the slot I think you should have picked him up and trusted that one of your other forwards would cover your point.

I'm assuming this is roller because its 4v4?

When I'm backchecking I like to get to that slot area regardless if their D is pressing or not. If the D are pressing you have to stay a little higher in the slot to get to a good shot blocking angle if they kick it back to the points. If the D are taking their time joining the rush then you outnumber their forwards and take away that free ice in the slot area.

In this situation, your team's D man in front of the net (2nd man in) should have stayed to protect that area but one of your forwards (you or the far winger) should have been in the slot area as well

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Yeah, it's roller so we rock the 4v4.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to try and talk to our forwards so that we can communicate a bit better and generally decide who should be where, when. I think this will be a pretty good learning point for the entire team.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
It's the D's fault, but the forward should see the breakdown and cover up for it. Always cover the greatest uncovered threat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Personally (I play RW), if I ever see anyone hanging out wide open in my slot, I will always skate in and either give him a stick lift (even if he doesn't have the puck) or put a shoulder into him to throw him off-balance. I'd much rather eliminate a potential shot from the slot then hang back and cover the point if my D-men are out of position. Especially in my league, where pretty much only the ringers can take proper slappers from the point.

real_scud posted:

Man I love winning trophies, my work team finally won our championship after getting to the finals for 2 straight seasons.

Happened to play the same team in the finals and of course they were utter cunts when we got ahead by 1. Thankfully because they're mongoloids they gave us an extended 5-on-3 power-play that we managed to capitalize on and get the eventual game-winner.

Congrats on the win! I wish my team could win a single playoff game. 0-4 in 2 seasons :smith:

quote:

Of course being the poor sports they are after we got our picture taken and did a cheesy "EA Sports, it's in the game" while getting a picture taken they decide to shout out "Madden sucks!"

This is a dickhead move, but kinda funny.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 18, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

cenzo posted:

The defenseman has an obligation to stay in a defensive-side position his man. With a 4-on-4 situation, your defensemen pick up their opposing forwards, and you pick up the opposing defense. Based on your diagram, it looks like your 2nd defenseman broke the cardinal rule: Always be closing be between your man and the net.

You look to be strong-side in this diagram, so obviously you want to stay in position against your opposing D-man, and pick up anyone that moves into the "house". You probably should have been just below-and-inside the top face-off dot (edit of your diagram). This way you're in position to either move up to play your opposing defenseman if he gets the pass, or collapse and pick up the winger if he gets by his d-man (as he did in the diagram).

tl;dr: You were higher and closer to the boards than you should have been, but the second defenseman was too aggressive.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 18, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We used to have a guy in my league who would pretty much do the same thing, except he was an awful hockey player. I say used to have, because I haven't seen him at the rink in 1.5 years or so. Pretty sure he got banned for life, or finally re-evaluated his choice of hobbies.

He's banned from the league.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Personally (I play RW), if I ever see anyone hanging out wide open in my slot, I will always skate in and either give him a stick lift (even if he doesn't have the puck) or put a shoulder into him to throw him off-balance. I'd much rather eliminate a potential shot from the slot then hang back and cover the point if my D-men are out of position. Especially in my league, where pretty much only the ringers can take proper slappers from the point.

You're taking yourself out of the breakout this way too. It's not really a good idea or a good habit to get into unless your center is good enough to adjust and cover where you left.

If I'm wing, I'll sometimes drift into the high slot if I see the center lost whatever player is there or I see they're running a cycle where a D is pinching, but as a center I get pretty peeved when my wings are below the hash marks without good reason.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 18, 2011

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Topoisomerase posted:

You're taking yourself out of the breakout this way too. It's not really a good idea or a good habit to get into unless your center is good enough to adjust and cover where you left.

If I'm wing, I'll sometimes drift into the high slot if I see the center lost whatever player is there or I see they're running a cycle where a D is pinching, but as a center I get pretty peeved when my wings are below the hash marks without good reason.

Yeah my center always tells me to just stay up near the point and cover that d-man and be ready to take a chip from the boards and chip it again out to center, to him for the breakout. It works pretty well too. It helps that he's always where he's supposed to be. The only time I'm below the hash marks is when its some kind of oddman situation and I'm basically back trying to play D

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

:lol: That is not surprising in the least. You just made my day.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
All these stories about the jerks in everyone's respective leagues had me worried...4 games into our season most of the teams don't seem too bad. Maybe it's just because it's one of the lower tier skill levels, I guess.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Eh. Every league has That Guy, but he usually doesn't sour the experience that much. If anything, it gives you someone to poo poo-talk over beers in the locker room.

To identify That Guy, look for some subset of the following characteristics:

- Blames teammates for his gently caress-ups/sloppy play ("How can I pass when none of you are ever loving open?!>@!")
- Blames teammates for losses/opposing goals ("Why can't this team ever get a decent loving goalie?")
- Refuses to play with certain teammates who are "dragging him down"
- Cheap shot skills exceed puck/skating skills
- Plays like scouts are at the game. He doesn't skate hard or anything, just wants to show he has "grit."
- Argues with the refs. Especially when they're teenage kids trying to make a buck and he thinks he can bully them.
- Never, ever backchecks. Busts teammates balls for not backchecking.

The list could go on. Those are just the few that come to mind off the top of my head.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only "That Guy" that I skate with is this one dude who's jealous that some people have money.

"That guy bought pro skates, and he can't even skate backwards! Can you believe it!"

I wonder what he said about me first time I showed up, wearing a full set of brand new hockey pads.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

You mean you didn't go to Play It Again to pick up a beat up old pair of Canadian Flyers? Cake eater.

Incidentally, any of you Chicago folks know of a good pick-up slot (south side would be ideal, but I'm willing to go a little out of the way)? I'll be passing through town next weekend and I need to decide if I should cart my gear along. Last time I went to the Friday noon skate at Southwest it ended up being just my brother and me so I'm leery of going back there.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 20, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Green Submarine posted:

You mean you didn't go to Play It Again to pick up a beat up old pair of Canadian Flyers? Cake eater.

Incidentally, any of you Chicago folks know of a good pick-up slot (south side would be ideal, but I'm willing to go a little out of the way)? I'll be passing through town next weekend and I need to decide if I should cart my gear along. Last time I went to the Friday noon skate at Southwest it ended up being just my brother and me so I'm leery of going back there.

I can't speak for the burbs or south side, but I know that in the city everything drop in is during the week either in the morning or around noon. Nothing on the weekends due to hockey season starting up and an overwhelming amount of league play.

Sort of sucks. The burbs might be different

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, it's the same out by Naperville. You play rat hockey at lunch during the week.. and that's about it. Places with hockey development classes usually allow drop-ins, but that tends to be a once-a-week thing.

I've started using this site:

http://www.hockey-community.com/

But it doesn't have much for the Chicago area. The site is still somewhat new, hoping it'll start to see more use as time goes on.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Has anyone done that FreshGear thing? My gear has been extra rank as of late and being in an apartment in the city makes airing it out difficult.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lizardking posted:

Has anyone done that FreshGear thing? My gear has been extra rank as of late and being in an apartment in the city makes airing it out difficult.

Hockey gear is washing machine safe.. sprays will just cover the stench up and it'll be sitting there waiting to attack when you least expect it.

Toss it in the wash once a month to clean all the crud out. Front loading machines are the best. There's some disagreement on whether detergents are okay.. I personally don't use any.. I go for plain old hot water.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

lizardking posted:

This problem really doesn't have a good solution. I've found that the various chemical options are temporary solutions at best. The best long term solution to keep your apartment smell-free is to get a sealable plastic tub big enough to hold your bag. Problem with that is that if you just plop your poo poo in there it will stay wet and ripe, so you have to develop strategies for drying it.

My stuff needs around 3 hours minimum to dry out. I use my fire escape in good weather. If you have one, or another outdoor space you can use, your stuff can get dry in a few hours.

Outside of that, I'll leave my skates in the closet to make sure they dry out irrespective of the weather, and they alone won't stink up the room. Anything additional is too much for one room, though. If you don't have access to any outside space, putting one or two pieces in a window will usually dry them out without pongifying the room beyond tolerability, especially if you put them inside the screen, but outside the curtains/blinds. You can supplement those strategies with fabreeze/candles/washing, but on the smell issue, containment is the best long-term solution.

In related news, I miss my garage.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 22, 2011

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
The smell in my apartment isn't really a problem. I can't smell it outside the closet. It just had a very moldy/fungal smell last game so was semi worried about bacteria/infection.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Picked up a pair of custom Bauer TotalOnes with limited edition black holder and 2 extra LS-2 steels and Eagle skate covers (which, like their gloves, own). Obviously used but don't smell at all and have new Bauer insoles

900+ dollar skates with the custom build + cost of the additional steel and holders.

Got em for $132.50.

Having really small feet owns sometimes. I think with a bake the few tight spots will work their way out and they'll fit perfect These are light as hell, I can't wait to skate on em.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 22, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Having really small feet owns sometimes. I think with a bake the few tight spots will work their way out and they'll fit perfect These are light as hell, I can't wait to skate on em.

Except when they're small enough that you have to buy children's sizes of skates which are not exactly noted for their durability and in which many manufacturers don't even bother to produce high end skates. :(

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

xzzy posted:

Hockey gear is washing machine safe.. sprays will just cover the stench up and it'll be sitting there waiting to attack when you least expect it.

Toss it in the wash once a month to clean all the crud out. Front loading machines are the best. There's some disagreement on whether detergents are okay.. I personally don't use any.. I go for plain old hot water.

This pretty much. There are a lot of very light detergents on the market but honestly hot water is probably just as good generally speaking because the reason why some of that gear gets particularly gnarly is because it never even gets rinsed out. Aka you sweat like a mad man, then it just air dries and the cycle repeats. Hot water flush is good. Also (if you live in a warm weather area) just set it out in the sun for a couple hours.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just wanted to put this here since there was talk about wingers being too low and/or out of position.

In this pic from tonight, Joakim Lindstrom of the Avs (#28, lower left) is the weak-side winger who's collapsed down to the top of the slot. He's now in position to help prevent anything coming from low to high, and also help cover the slot in case the puck moves over to #96 and the Center in the middle (#37, Ryan O'Reilly) has to move quickly to cover. And, of course, he can move to cover the point if the puck somehow gets shot around the boards. Great positioning here.

tl;dr: If you're where Linsdstrom is and you're getting yelled at about being too low and not covering the point, the people yelling at you aren't very good at hockey.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

For people that do inline:

I just switched to new wheels, I brought my current bearings from the (now) old wheels to the new wheels. I wiped all the dirt/dust off the bearings and sprayed them with WD40 when swapping them out. Before I switched, all 8 wheels spun continuously for a few seconds. Now, 3 of the 8 wheels only spin for roughly a second. What could I have done to make them spin less? What should I do to get those wheels back to working how they did before I switched them?

Hockles fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 23, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

Except when they're small enough that you have to buy children's sizes of skates which are not exactly noted for their durability and in which many manufacturers don't even bother to produce high end skates. :(

6D sized feet here, sneaking in under the wire for adult sized skates! (I actually wear 6.5D but TotalOnes run about a half size smaller)

Went to my first game of the NHL season last night, seems like 60% of the players are wearing some variation of the Vapors, 25% are wearing Supremes (TotalOne) and 15% are wearing something else.

Bauer really has the market cornered when it comes to the pros. Whole lines were shifting only wearing their skates.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hockles posted:

I just switched to new wheels, I brought my current bearings from the (now) old wheels to the new wheels. I wiped all the dirt/dust off the bearings and sprayed them with WD40 when swapping them out. Before I switched, all 8 wheels spun continuously for a few seconds. Now, 3 of the 8 wheels only spin for roughly a second. What could I have done to make them spin less? What should I do to get those wheels back to working how they did before I switched them?

Been a while since I've skated on such a terrible surface as asphalt, but from what I remember the spin without weight in the skates is caused by a loose axle. So if you put new spacers in that might be, or it might be the wheel itself gripping the axle tighter because you haven't distorted the wheel by skating with your weight on it.

This shouldn't affect speed. Do the bearings make a noise and a scratchy sound? How old are they?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Hockles posted:

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.

These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture, as this is its original purpose and design intent.

Stolen from wiki but from what I remember about my roller days is that WD40 removes the grease that is packed in the bearings.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Dangerllama posted:

Just wanted to put this here since there was talk about wingers being too low and/or out of position.

In this pic from tonight, Joakim Lindstrom of the Avs (#28, lower left) is the weak-side winger who's collapsed down to the top of the slot. He's now in position to help prevent anything coming from low to high, and also help cover the slot in case the puck moves over to #96 and the Center in the middle (#37, Ryan O'Reilly) has to move quickly to cover. And, of course, he can move to cover the point if the puck somehow gets shot around the boards. Great positioning here.

tl;dr: If you're where Linsdstrom is and you're getting yelled at about being too low and not covering the point, the people yelling at you aren't very good at hockey.

This is professional hockey, with the greatest hockey players in the world playing, I'm not sure what you play, but I play beer league

Edit:

Next show me a clip of Kris Letang and explain how that makes it OK for beer league defensemen to pinch in behind the net in the offensive zone all the time

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 23, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

6D sized feet here, sneaking in under the wire for adult sized skates! (I actually wear 6.5D but TotalOnes run about a half size smaller)

Went to my first game of the NHL season last night, seems like 60% of the players are wearing some variation of the Vapors, 25% are wearing Supremes (TotalOne) and 15% are wearing something else.

Bauer really has the market cornered when it comes to the pros. Whole lines were shifting only wearing their skates.

At some point last year I started making a spreadsheet of what gear NHL players were (visibly) wearing but I didn't even make it through Nashville before it got tedious and I quit. Yeah, over 50% Bauer for skates though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

This shouldn't affect speed. Do the bearings make a noise and a scratchy sound? How old are they?

A couple of the bearings (that move normally) make sort of a scratchy noise. But they are barely a year old, as I got the skates last summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

This is professional hockey, with the greatest hockey players in the world playing, I'm not sure what you play, but I play beer league

Edit:

Next show me a clip of Kris Letang and explain how that makes it OK for beer league defensemen to pinch in behind the net in the offensive zone all the time

I used to think like this too. "Oh, those are pros making pro moves, so none of it applies to the stuff I'm doing." I'm not claiming to be Mike Babcock over here, but that kind of thinking misses the point. The question is why the pros are doing what they're doing. In the example above, Lindstrom is in good position...for any league.

I agree that there's a lot of cargo-cult thinking that goes into beer-league players doing stupid poo poo. Take for example a defenseman blindly moving a puck up to the point, for a turnover, and bemoaning "If I were in a better league, the winger would have been there!!!" Or trying to take a super sweet one-timer from the point. But the mistakes D-league players make aren't because they're trying to do what the pros are doing, it's because they have no idea why they're doing it.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2011