Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Yeah, when we use it we use it on full auto, so you might be able to tweak the iso and get better results. I would get my head bit off if I changed it at all, so I just leave it on full auto, even thought it pains me to do so. One time I turned off the flash because it was really bright and we didn't need it, and my boss is like "where's the flash?" and then made me put it back on. sigh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dissss posted:

What do you have the ISO set to? I limit my point and shoot to 400 in auto mode and even that's pushing it.

I've tried a number of ISO settings, the camera maxes at 1600 and bottoms out at 200, and nothing seems right. I may be assuming everything to be low light based on my experiences with older point and shoots (basically low light unless direct sunlight) and setting too high an ISO so I will be posting a picture of my cats for consideration when I get home, hopefully the camera actually includes sufficient exif data to answer some of the questions raised.

e: Actually bottoms out at 100, turns out I was shooting with light sources like the sun coming through a window, at ISO 1600.

before:
after:

Obviously two different cats, but the point stands that somewhere along the line my camera was informed it would only use ISO 1600 from then on regardless of lighting.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 29, 2011

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, pretty much low light and/or cropping will really reveal noise. I had a panasonic bridge*, was pretty proud of it until I was with friends with digital rebels and we compared photos. Was not long before I joined the dslr world.

*Panasonic bridge is for sale if anyone wants it ha ha...

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

I've tried a number of ISO settings, the camera maxes at 1600 and bottoms out at 200

before:
after:

Can't get any EXIF data from these images - possibly imgur stripping it out? - but I'm assuming given that its min ISO is 200 and it's a 16mp compact CCD you have some sort of bridge camera? These are well known for having terrible minimum apertures, which will mean it can't let in all that much light. That coupled with the fact that both shots are low light - indoors almost always qualifies as low light - the camera is going to use the only method it has to increase sensitivity; up the ISO, which causes noise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lasalas posted:

Can't get any EXIF data from these images - possibly imgur stripping it out? - but I'm assuming given that its min ISO is 200 and it's a 16mp compact CCD you have some sort of bridge camera? These are well known for having terrible minimum apertures, which will mean it can't let in all that much light. That coupled with the fact that both shots are low light - indoors almost always qualifies as low light - the camera is going to use the only method it has to increase sensitivity; up the ISO, which causes noise.

I was recalling the 200 ISO figure from drink-sodden memory, but it's actually a low of 100. It may have greater range, but the manual settings go from 100 to 1600 in big chunks, while an auto-iso setting gives more granularity at the expense of control.

The camera is most certainly a point and shoot, I am at work but will edit in the model specifics when I get home. Definitely a point and shoot from Best Buy, though. No two ways about that.

widunder
May 2, 2002
My apartment was recently broken, and now, amongst other things, my old DSLR is gone. There's a slim chance that I'll see some money from the insurance company, but if so, I'm thinking of buying a P&S instead given how limited my photo skills are and the fact that I never bother to carry around my old 20D with me.

Now, should I get the S90/95/G11/G12, or maybe go for the Leica D-Lux? Pros, cons?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Leica D-Lux?
It's a Panasonic LX5 with a red dot

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

FasterThanLight posted:

Looking at the prices for the two, that would make the red dot the most valuable part of the camera, with representing a majority 54% of the price.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Costello Jello posted:

Looking at the prices for the two, that would make the red dot the most valuable part of the camera, with representing a majority 54% of the price.

that's pretty much exactly the case... sadly...

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

To be fair, the Leica does include a copy of Lightroom and a better warranty. But that's still one hell of an expensive warranty.

widunder
May 2, 2002

FasterThanLight posted:

Fine, how does the LX5 stack up against a lightly used S95 that I might pick up whenever the S100 drops?

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

I would go for the LX5 if you don't need something as compact as the S95.

widunder
May 2, 2002

burndtjamb posted:

I would go for the LX5 if you don't need something as compact as the S95.
Thanks. What would be reasonable to pay for the LX5/S95 lightly used?

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

The LX5 is going for $370 new on Amazon, I'd say around $300 would be a great price for a lightly used one. The S95 is going for $350 new, so perhaps around $275?

widunder
May 2, 2002

burndtjamb posted:

The LX5 is going for $370 new on Amazon, I'd say around $300 would be a great price for a lightly used one. The S95 is going for $350 new, so perhaps around $275?
Thanks man!

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
S95 owner here, eagerly awaiting reviews of the S100. It seems this camera is one of few Canon bodies allegedly getting a fairly substantial upgrade in sensor and processing technology. I really hope it delivers in reduced sensor noise. The optical zoom with video is also giving me the itch to upgrade when it becomes available. I drank the kool-aid, apparently.

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE
Jun 7, 2007

Okay goons, maybe you can help me find an acceptable P&S camera. Let me start by saying that I'm not a photographer-- I'm mainly looking for a camera that can take some nice looking, clean photos of every day life that won't look like poo poo by the time I take them to the computer (though I'm very willing to gently caress around in Photoshop).

Ideally, I'd like something under $150. Also I have super shaky hands so something that doesn't take a lot of blurry pictures (look at me, I am bad at cameras) would be A+.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Sorry for the dumb question but I just bought a Nikon p500 today and I am playing around with it and am trying to figure out how to turn the massive red flash before a picture is taken off? I really don't even know what it is called, is it a red eye reducer? Maybe an auto focus thing? I took off red eye in the menu but other than that I don't know what to do. Thanks!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

dongsweep posted:

Sorry for the dumb question but I just bought a Nikon p500 today and I am playing around with it and am trying to figure out how to turn the massive red flash before a picture is taken off? I really don't even know what it is called, is it a red eye reducer? Maybe an auto focus thing? I took off red eye in the menu but other than that I don't know what to do. Thanks!

"AF Assist"

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Krakkles posted:

"AF Assist"

Thank you very much!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

dongsweep posted:

Thank you very much!
Absolutely. I usually keep it off on my D3100 because Nikon apparently sourced spare aircraft landing lights for it on that model.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

302 posted:

Okay goons, maybe you can help me find an acceptable P&S camera. Let me start by saying that I'm not a photographer-- I'm mainly looking for a camera that can take some nice looking, clean photos of every day life that won't look like poo poo by the time I take them to the computer (though I'm very willing to gently caress around in Photoshop).

Ideally, I'd like something under $150. Also I have super shaky hands so something that doesn't take a lot of blurry pictures (look at me, I am bad at cameras) would be A+.

Get a new Canon P&S in your price category. For $150, you'll find something that'll will be fine for your needs. It'll have image stabilization too for your shaky hands. Don't get too distracted by salespeople, something like this would do:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753777-REG/Canon_4928B001_Powershot_100_HS_Digital.html

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes
Just a note that the S100 comes out at BestBuy on Sunday the 23rd! So I think this is ahead of Amazon/B&H, etc...

Of course, if you feel like visiting a lot of local ones like I did, you can get one now if that store is clueless about the street date/has them easily accessable :)

When the local LA area store looked around at stock levels, most stores had only one or two of each color per store (so around 2 black, 2 silver, or 1 of each, etc...) ready for Sunday.

Just from taking it out, the wrist strap is like a bungee cord, unlike the S95 which was the fabric that if it touched velcro at all, would fray like crazy.

The body itself is thinner, it's all matte (S95 was glossy on the top) and it just feels like this is an actual major upgrade from the S90, rather than a small stopover that the S95 was. Charging the battery now!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow, good find. If I was disappointed with the S95 that I got a year ago I'd really be wanting the S100, so maybe it's worth eBaying it with all the box/accessories and seeing what I can get the S100 for...but I know in the UK it'll be stupidly more expensive.

digital404
Aug 4, 2006
I went in Sunday at 10:05am, 5 minutes after Best Buy opened to get a S100. They told me someone had already came in that day and bought all 4 of their stock. Me: :psyduck: Then the rep checks and tells me that all of Northern California was sold out at the point.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I have a Canon PowerShot A60. It's rather old and the LCD (or maybe it's the sensor) is starting to go bad, so I want a new camera.

The main thing I don't like about it, is how goddamn big it is for a basic P&S camera.

So I've been looking at which one to buy.

First option: Canon Ixus 310 HS. Basically everyone I know has an Ixus of some kind and they all seem happy with it. It's also a lot smaller than the one I have now, and not too expensive.

Then I changed my mind, to the SX220 HS. It's a bit cheaper than the Ixus, has way more zoom, and the only negatives seemed to be a smaller screen and that it looks less stylish.

And finally I remembered that I don't buy anything that isn't vetted by goon consensus, so I checked this thread and now I think maybe I should get an S95. (Not an S100 because too expensive.) I think it's better in low light than the SX220(?) because its max aperture (F2.0) is way better? If I'm not mistaken, this also means it's easier to take pictures where the subject is focused and the background isn't (=shallow depth of field?)?

So, compared to the SX220, the lens seems way better, which is cool.

But I checked the Ixus again, and that also has a max aperture of F2.0. If I'm straight up comparing features, the Ixus seems equal or better at basically everything: bigger screen, more megapixels, smaller body, lighter, more zoom, ... So is there a reason I shouldn't buy that instead of the S95? Is being able to shoot in RAW worth that much?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The S95 has a much larger sensor (1/1.7" vs. 1/2.3") which will give it better low-light performance even with the same aperture.

A lot of the other differences are so small you'd have trouble noticing in person (25mm thick vs. 29mm thick? 185g vs. 193g? 3.2" screen vs. 3.0" screen?), so probably not the best factor to decide by.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

poopinmymouth posted:

And back to the Fuji X10, here are two cool links

http://yfrog.com/z/gzz7gyxj X100 vs X10 vs G12. Surprising it ekes out more lines per inch than the X100, but most small sensor cameras are really sharp, but the noise and dynamic range seems really impressive, half way between the G12 and the X100. Wondering what ISO that dynamic range is at though, cause the X100 just destroys the g12 above ISO 400, and at ISO 6400 it's just laughable.

http://yfrog.com/z/gzz7gyxj X10 (and X100) compared to it's peers on a table so you can see size)

What is that Nikon in that photo?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

uXs posted:

Is being able to shoot in RAW worth that much?
In addition to what Zhentar said, yes, being able to shoot in RAW is worth that much. Forget to check your white balance? Fix it in post. Under or over expose? Fix it in post. Etc.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ok, I ordered an S95. This better be a good camera or my faith in the goon hivemind is going to be forever broken.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
um... are you going to be going on a vacation or anything? s100 is 1 month around the corner.

i'm sooo pissssssed that it cant be ready by halloween :(

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

uXs posted:

Ok, I ordered an S95. This better be a good camera or my faith in the goon hivemind is going to be forever broken.

It's a fantastic camera. I have one and everyone that has picked it up and tried it out has said "I'm going to get one of these".

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

caberham posted:

um... are you going to be going on a vacation or anything? s100 is 1 month around the corner.

i'm sooo pissssssed that it cant be ready by halloween :(

There's a fairly large price difference, and what I'm paying for the S95 is already more than what I was planning to spend.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

uXs posted:

There's a fairly large price difference, and what I'm paying for the S95 is already more than what I was planning to spend.

S95 is great. SX220 would have been fine, too, I think - you get a much slower lens but in return you get a huge zoom range. The Ixus is fine if you're strictly point-and-shoot, but it doesn't let you play with manual settings at all. Which is sad if you're even the slightest bit interested in photography.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm kind of getting psyched up for the Fuji X10. It seems like a good compromise between quality and size. I could see it being my "go everywhere" camera.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

HPL posted:

I'm kind of getting psyched up for the Fuji X10. It seems like a good compromise between quality and size. I could see it being my "go everywhere" camera.

Really excited about the X10 too, just a bit disappointed it doesn't have a focus prism in the optical view finder. What's the point if you can't manually focus with it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Brick Card posted:

Really excited about the X10 too, just a bit disappointed it doesn't have a focus prism in the optical view finder. What's the point if you can't manually focus with it.

That doesn't bother me as much as the lack of information in the finder does. It would be nice to have at least aperture and shutter info as well as something to indicate the focus point or to show the center of the frame since we don't really have any other indicator of where exactly the camera is focusing and whether it's focused of what we want or not.

I'm sure if you wanted to manual focus, you could use the screen on the back, but I'm not sure if it can even do manual focus.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

HPL posted:

I'm sure if you wanted to manual focus, you could use the screen on the back, but I'm not sure if it can even do manual focus.

If can, you can see it on the switch on the front.

I'm most disappointed you can't get it in sexy metal like the X100 :)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gravitom posted:

If can, you can see it on the switch on the front.

Sounds like you use the command dial on the back to manual focus, which sounds like kind of a bitch.

I like that it's in all-black. More low key and stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

HPL posted:

Sounds like you use the command dial on the back to manual focus, which sounds like kind of a bitch.

I like that it's in all-black. More low key and stealth.

If it works anything like the x100, it's not even worth worrying about doing any real focusing in MF.

• Locked thread