Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The weather's turning its usual Autumn grey & rainy here, so today I told my homework to wait while I took advantage of a beautiful sunny afternoon. As usual, I didn't bother checking what roads were closed and ran into some heavy traffic because the main downtown expressway was closed (doh).

And then of course I went on Craigslist when I came back and saw an ad for a R1100GS in my price range :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Today I finshed up removing most of what needs to be removed to fit the new parts.

I can't see from the photo but if you need new exhaust cans let me know, I have the stock pieces which were either taken off by the dealer before the bike was delivered to the previous owner, or after the 600 mile service. I don't need them, if you do we can work something out.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, dropped the bike off at the suspension wizards. I really really need this tuned suspenion, never had a stock bike so stiff. It just deflects like mad when I hit a bump instead of soaking. I imagine the springs will be much less force when all said n done.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I made ghetto gesso whitewalls. Gesso is latex-based and supposedly won't turn brown and come off as easily as paint. $10 total, including gesso, tape, and a sponge brush. I only had time to do the rear tire today, but I like it so far.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I adjusted the my clutch today and holy poo poo was it way out of adjustment. I had the primary fluid changed last year and they supposedly adjusted it then but I'm pretty sure there is no way.

Bike shifts much easier now and clutch slips less but I'm still going to have to beef it up. Stock 883 clutch with 85 horsepower just doesn't work so well.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

GanjamonII posted:

I can't see from the photo but if you need new exhaust cans let me know, I have the stock pieces which were either taken off by the dealer before the bike was delivered to the previous owner, or after the 600 mile service. I don't need them, if you do we can work something out.

I didn't see this before, but I appreciate the offer. They aren't too hosed up, so I'm going to use them until I can get map2 and some slip on's.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I made ghetto gesso whitewalls. Gesso is latex-based and supposedly won't turn brown and come off as easily as paint. $10 total, including gesso, tape, and a sponge brush. I only had time to do the rear tire today, but I like it so far.

The whitewalls look badass on the Vino. I'm not sure why I think that, as I normally hate whitewall tires, but for some reason it works really well for the Vino.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I need to photoshop some whitewalls onto the KTM and see how it would look....

EDIT: I've always been sort of bummed that no-one makes decent coloured tyres for motorbikes. I'd buy the poo poo out of a pair of KTM-orange Avon Distanzias.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 26, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I need to photoshop some whitewalls onto the KTM and see how it would look....

EDIT: I've always been sort of bummed that no-one makes decent coloured tyres for motorbikes. I'd buy the poo poo out of a pair of KTM-orange Avon Distanzias.

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-28650-shinko-smoke-bomb-tire.aspx

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Mushika posted:

The whitewalls look badass on the Vino. I'm not sure why I think that, as I normally hate whitewall tires, but for some reason it works really well for the Vino.
I think it's because it has the styling of a scooter much older than it is.

They also look good on the Honda Giorno and Metropolitan for the same reason.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Oil change (Rotella 5W-40 T6, Purolator Pure One filter)
Drain and refill final drive
Clean bug pieces and bits of dirt and debris from inside airbox
Clean and reoil air filter
Installed additional power lead to support heated vests x2 and heated gloves x2

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 27, 2011

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Bike is still filthy though. :( It might get cleaned before the trip, but I'm not counting on it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cleaned my bike and found out that my front mudguard is hosed. Great! Can either plastic weld it, but it'll probably come apart again ... or buy a new one. For gently caress's sake.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Odette posted:

Cleaned my bike and found out that my front mudguard is hosed. Great! Can either plastic weld it, but it'll probably come apart again ... or buy a new one. For gently caress's sake.

Rauh Welt 911 it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Got enough parts and the right tools to start fixing up the GSX-R

Frame slider replaced, old VS new, it did a good job.

Old mashed up rearset vs newer one I found off ebay complete with master cylinder, I bled the out the old fluid and replaced the rearset and got everything hooked up, it didn't take nearly as long as I thought, having a compressed air powered brake bleeder makes it a 1-2 minute job.

Installed ASV levers on both ends, I love these levers and prefer their adjustment knob/dial over the CRG ones. Picture of my old bent lever.

Whats left is that I have another stock exhaust I found off ebay in good shape sitting in a box and the white under fairing bit should come in tommorow, hopefully I can swap the little bits of the old fairing onto the new one... otherwise i'll order the other little bits like the heatshielding.

I'm glad I got the bike ridable again, I took it for a quick test ride after the current work was done.... man it feels good to have the power of god again.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
New brake pads front and rear.

Went with EBC's sintered HH pads again. I have about 25000 miles on the last set, and they were worn down a bit further than I'd like to see right before riding in the mountains for a week.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cleaned the garage a bit. It's not done but it was a loving mess before.

what does this have to do with motorcycles? Well I did move 3 motors, 2 tanks, 6 seats, 2 bikes, etc...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Somethings wrong with your pictures buddy.

edit: Never mind!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mcqueen posted:

Somethings wrong with your pictures buddy.

edit: Never mind!

Try viewing them on my blog

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/11/garage-makeover-30.html

:ninja: edit well nevermind then...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
drat, that's a nice garage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

Thank you. i'm slowly but surely ousting all the bullshit out of there. I've been slowplaying the move in so as not to piss off my mom.

Yes, I moved back home. But with a garage like that (and shed to match) can you blame me?

Next up I'll actually be getting rid of storage space, shelves and cubbies are going in favor of more floorspace. Wheels will probably hang from ceiling just like frames, and that one wall is going to be completely pegboarded.

I'll need to move all operations inside in preparation for this winter, and I've still got a couple more bikes in the driveway.

Any suggestions what I should do with the mirror? A sex mirror over my bed would be cool... except until it shatters and slices me (us?) into a million pieces.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
More red carpet than the fuckin' Emmys. :whatup:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Z3n posted:

No, it is an amazing garage. :aaaaa:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That's not a garage, that's a shop. With carpet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yea I loving love the carpet. It's totally appropriate since all my bikes get the red carpet treatment. my friend just pointed out that the background of my blog actually matches the carpet. He thought it was on purpose; I had never realized it before.

One of my followers (vorheese) has a much nicer garage though:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

What did I do to my bike?

Wheeled that poo poo into my living room.

Because it looks like this outside.

See you next spring wheelies. :tipshat:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TheDon01 posted:

What did I do to my bike?

Wheeled that poo poo into my living room.

no milk crate or stand or anything?? you really should get some carpet squares/samples and put a piece of plywood over it then put the bike on that on a stand or milk crate or something.
Trust me I know all about bikes+carpet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When I am forced to take Hermes inside, I put it down on an 8-foot 2x12 that I have laying around, on top of a folded-over tarp so the total thing is maybe 3 or 3.5 feet wide, to catch oil drips. The 2x12, with the bike on top of it, pushes the tarp underneath so it forms a kind of "valley" inwards towards the wood, trapping any drippings. I've got a centerstand, though, so maybe a crate or cinderblocks to make it centered for you?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

no milk crate or stand or anything?? you really should get some carpet squares/samples and put a piece of plywood over it then put the bike on that on a stand or milk crate or something.
Trust me I know all about bikes+carpet.

It's not in its final position. And I got two huge 3ply shipping boxes from work under it now.

This weekend I'm gonna put it on a stand in the "dining" room with linoleum floors and begin partial disassembly for maintenance and cleaning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered a vanity plate for the DRZ. It's an organ donor plate reading "SPL4T."

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Taking out the battery to re-charge before I try testing it for electrical draws. Also took off the fairings and put them in my basement. I'll be storing the Ninja in a friend's heated basement storage for the nice low price of $17. It looks way awesome now.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

Taking out the battery to re-charge before I try testing it for electrical draws. Also took off the fairings and put them in my basement. I'll be storing the Ninja in a friend's heated basement storage for the nice low price of $17. It looks way awesome now.

It's probably just the quality of the image, but the Kawasaki lettering looks a bit strange.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Today I took off the few undamaged farkles on it that could be sold or reused if i get another ST1300... :(

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I couldn't remember when I last changed the oil on my 77 Honda CB750. I mean, I either did it at the end of the riding season in 2010 or the beginning of the season in 2011. I'm really glad I changed it yesterday. It was the darkest oil I've ever seen. Ghee it even revs super easy now. What was I thinking! Changing the oil on it is super easy. I will change the oil on it and the R6 again in the spring. I can't hurt my babies any more!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Changed the oil in the CRF-SM, replaced coolant with water wetter and distilled H20. Will pull off the lights (5 minutes) and it is ready for track duty next Monday.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Well I'm in it now.

Took the cams out to pull the shims on my 636. I'm taking them into work tomorrow to measure them on a micrometer and then to Kawasaki on Tuesday, where they hopefully won't try to screw me by charging $10 a shim like the last place did.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Gnaghi posted:

I'm taking them into work tomorrow to measure them on a micrometer and then to Kawasaki on Tuesday, where they hopefully won't try to screw me by charging $10 a shim like the last place did.

It's been said here before somewhere but most shops if you pick up some shims on e-bay for cheap will be willing to trade you for yours. A good way to save some money by not getting charged through the nose.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Should I be thankful the three bikes I work on use nut/rod adjusters (2x OHC 1x pushrod)? Or is there a downside to those? Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The downside is you have to adjust them more often, the upside is it's so easy you don't mind. Assuming getting to them is not a total bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Well I'm in it now.

Took the cams out to pull the shims on my 636. I'm taking them into work tomorrow to measure them on a micrometer and then to Kawasaki on Tuesday, where they hopefully won't try to screw me by charging $10 a shim like the last place did.

How many are out? Buy a hotcams kit. 80 bucks for 3 of every size available, restock kits are typically around 20 bucks for 3 in a 5 size range. (ie. 2.00 through 2.25 in .05 increments).