Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
Got a K1000 from Craigslist, what should I get for film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Crawford posted:

Got a K1000 from Craigslist, what should I get for film?

Kodak Porta 400 is baller as gently caress.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

fuji acros is a great bw film, though trix is more forgiving. also if you never shot slide film - provia or velvia.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
Man I really can't wait to start messing around with this. I wonder if the 7/11 near me has any 35mm film :v:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Something shot on expired Superia, "rescued" through a b&w conversion.

Upper Cross Street by alkanphel, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Kodak Porta 400 is baller as gently caress.
That and Tri-X

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

evil_bunnY posted:

That and Tri-X

That and HP5+

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

QPZIL posted:

That and HP5+
OK FINE

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Nobody else like Ilford Delta?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Laser Cow posted:

Delta 3200 is my go-to concert film.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Delta 400 is better than Delta 3200. Can be pushed to the same speed, but with much smaller grain.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HPL posted:

Delta 400 is better than Delta 3200. Can be pushed to the same speed, but with much smaller grain.

Huh, never thought of that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

QPZIL posted:

Huh, never thought of that.

Plus it's cheaper too.

The downside is that you have to develop Delta 400 for a longer time since Delta 3200 is designed to be developed at regular times as opposed to being pushed by a few stops.

Delta 100 is a good substitute for Fuji Acros 100 if you can't find Acros. Acros is still cheaper and better though.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
I use delta 100 as my go to black and white film but I really want to try Acros. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it here in Canada in 120. I tried to get some off the internet but they won't ship it here.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

That and Tri-X

400-800-1600 ISO? Tri-X doesn't care.
So versatile. Shame about the purple-ish hue if you don't wash/fix long enough. I think for my next batch of film i'm going with HP5+ instead (also to prepare for the day Kodak goes bankrupt).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

PushingKingston posted:

I use delta 100 as my go to black and white film but I really want to try Acros. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it here in Canada in 120. I tried to get some off the internet but they won't ship it here.

Camera Traders (https://www.camera-traders.com) has some, but it's not cheap. I'm pretty sure other camera stores carry it like Leo's or Beau Photo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm also a big fan of Fomapan after having bought some on a whim (Freestylephoto's Arista.EDU 400, which is the same thing rebranded).

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

PushingKingston posted:

i just buy 10+ rolls at a time from adorama and I thought they shipper intl??

btw, nice portrait in the show yourself thread. what film was it shot on, looks like slide?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Laser Cow posted:

Delta is stupid sharp but it is a bit flat for portraiture. I only use it in medium format. I stick with standard grain films for 35mm.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Kodak Portra 400 is good, but bad for landscapes (not high enough resolution; I forget what I was thinking). Incredible dynamic range, and can be pushed to high speeds with good results.

Kodak Ektar 100 is a good color medium-high contrast film, especially for landscapes.

Ilford HP5+ is good. Easily pushed with excellent results. Dunno how it compares to Tri-X.

Ilford Pan F+ is a good high-contrast film; it has lower exposure latitude than most B&W film, so it's good for flat-ish lighting. Extremely fine grain and high resolution, with wonderful tonality.

Fuji Neopan Acros is a good lower-contrast low-speed film, with fantastic resolution and incredibly fine grain. Haven't really compared it to Pan F+ yet, though. Also has extraordinary exposure reciprocity characteristics, so it's good for long exposure and night shots.

Velvia is nice, but very low exposure latitude. Slide films are hard to scan.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I've never really put too much thought into what I've been shooting on. Clearly I have some learning to do.

[edit]I've been using Ilford Delta because I can go into a shop and buy it. Need to start buying online I guess.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 20, 2011

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010
Ordered some Portra 400 from Amazon, then went to the store and bought 2 rolls of TMax 400 and 1 roll of UltraMax 800.

I have no idea what it takes to get access to the developing rooms on campus, probably a photography major/minor. Or knowing someone with one, I guess. Time to try and make a new friend.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

guidoanselmi posted:

i just buy 10+ rolls at a time from adorama and I thought they shipper intl??

btw, nice portrait in the show yourself thread. what film was it shot on, looks like slide?
Adorama is out of Acros right now apparently, but I decided to do a little searching and finally found a place in Toronto that has some and surprisingly it's a chain that never really has what I'm looking for most of the time.

The film I used for that was the new Portra 160 which is p awesome. I did a little bit of colour manipulation in lightroom though.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I liked how my couple of photo courses set up the film preferences.

Photo One: buy a brick of Tri-X (or the cheaper Arista rebadging), use the whole thing. Get another brick, repeat.

Photo Two: shoot four or five rolls a week of two different B&W emulsions that you haven't used before. Slow ones, fast ones, cheap ones, whatever.

If you're new to shooting black and white, don't worry too much about all the options out there. Just pick one of the fairly bulletproof 400-speed films like Tri-X or HP5 and shoot a bunch of it. Once you're used to that, grab some Acros 100 and Neopan 1600. Both are wonderful.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, the best thing when starting out is to get one film/developer combo completely down and know it inside and out before branching out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
gently caress everything, I am ordering a V750 on Japanese Amazon, and a Betterscanning Holder, HC-110, and some more film from the US as soon as I get my paycheck (today or Monday).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My favourite film is "free". Second is "expired", because often it's free+shipping or otherwise very cheap.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, the best thing when starting out is to get one film/developer combo completely down and know it inside and out before branching out.

Yeah, I started out with Tri-X and shot probably 25-30 rolls of that (and developed everything in HC-110) before trying anything else. It really gives you a better feel for how things turn out and how various factors affect the film.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ordering a Nikon F4 w/ Nikkor D 50mm f/1.8

My first autofocus film camera :allears:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QPZIL posted:

Ordering a Nikon F4 w/ Nikkor D 50mm f/1.8

My first autofocus film camera :allears:

Autofocus ain't all it's cracked up to be. I'm much less "invested" in the shot and I'm more accurate at focusing on pretty much any manual body. Autofocus misses are the most annoying thing in the world.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Autofocus ain't all it's cracked up to be. I'm much less "invested" in the shot and I'm more accurate at focusing on pretty much any manual body. Autofocus misses are the most annoying thing in the world.

Oh I know, I still prefer manual focus, but it'll have its applications now and then.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Agreed, though I don't mind it if I can pick a focus point and lock it. That's what frustrates me about most AF P&S cameras - I can't tell what I'm focusing on, and even if it has AF lock, there's no visual feedback or confirmation.

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Delta 3200 is my go-to concert film.
i would say tmax 3200 is better then delta for concerts. my delta shots always end up super flat. if only they made tmax in 120. :(

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Showin' off my F3 for you, QPZIL :)

(Sorry for the terrible flash photo, it's dark in this tiny Brooklyn apartment and the only digital camera I have is a crappy P&S Sony from like 2004)

F3HP + MD-4 with Ni-Cad battery, DA-2 action finder, SB-16A flash on a TTL cord for off camera action, tripod plate, and H-2 focusing screen (full microprisms, yo). Got a MF-6 back too, stops the film from going into the canister all the way upon rewind. Makes for easier changing bag fumbling.

Note my newest stack of film, I've been learning with Tri-X / Kodak Gold / Fuji Superia for a while, but the past couple months I've been shooting Portra 400 / 160 and Ektar 100, which I am really liking.

I was given the body, an 80-200, and a 35-70 macro zoom by my late grandfather. I've been teaching myself photography with it, and it's been a hell of a lot of fun. I've been slowly throwing awesome accessories at it, too. Through KEH, I have managed to trick this thing out for under 200 bucks by buying nothing but bargain / ugly grade poo poo, and watching for new cheap arrivals. Shown on it is a 28 f2.8 ais, not shown is a nifty fifty. I like the 28 most of the time though. I like getting up close.

I've been shooting with it for about 6 months now, and it's been amazing. The thing is heavy as hell, but fits in your hand perfectly, and the weight steadies it and keeps it balanced. Before I got the motor I was impressed with how smooth the rewind action was, but you really can't have one of these without the motor. Not only does it balance out the camera, but it makes shooting fast as hell, powers the whole operation, rewinds super fast, and has a sweet grip. It's amazing, with the ni-cad battery it can shoot up to 6 fps (which the SB-16 can't keep up with, actually considering a Sunpak 555 for doing skate sequences). The huge action finder is a dream to work with, especially in my profession - I work in a glassblowing studio, so I've always got safety glasses on. The full microprism screen is super cool too, focus really jumps out at you, even if I lose DOF preview. It's a really well designed machine, incredible to use, has a great meter, easy controls, and everything seems to be thought of. I wish the flash sync was faster, and I hate the flash shoe design (seriously, take off the flash to change rolls? ), but other than that, it's a reliable, amazing piece of machinery.

Now, the question is, what is the next lens I should buy for it? I've got some money coming my way, and I think I should splurge on a nice piece of glass. I want something in the 35-40mm length......I've been considering the Voigtlander 40mm F2 or perhaps a Nikkor 35mm F1.4. I like shooting street, night photography, skateboarders, and glass studio stuff, so I want something fast and contrasty. Any thoughts?

Also, I've been getting my C-41 processed locally, and teaching myself how to process B&W. Then I let them do the scans. I really want more control over my scans, so I've been thinking about a scanner. Any suggestions?

Money Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 23, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's a pretty sick setup :allears:

I actually decided at the last minute to go for the F4 instead of F3... I don't know why, but really it's not a matter of one or the other, it's a matter of one first and then the other.

I'm such a fanboy for the F1/2/3/4, and I'm not even ashamed of it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

F3 hi5! I'd keep the motor on all the time even if it just powered the rewind.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

F1 here. Canon that is :smug:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
My grandfather's Nikon F is one of my favorite cameras, the weight makes slow shutter speeds easier to use, and the Nikkor-S 50 1.4 is easily my favorite lens.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Reichstag posted:

the Nikkor-S 50 1.4 is easily my favorite lens.

Whud up, Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4 buddy? :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A SERIES OF SEVERAL WOODEN BEAMS by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

HP5+ in D76. I think I may have overdeveloped this roll, but it worked well for this photo (with some additional adjustment in Photoshop).