Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm trying to get better at taking shots of birds while in flight, so here are some more of Cookie:

Kookaburra by hookshot88, on Flickr

This is the kookaburra dive-bombing a worm on the ground.

And then eating it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

HookShot posted:

I'm trying to get better at taking shots of birds while in flight, so here are some more of Cookie:
I like the first shot, if only you'd been able to catch the flight up from behind!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ruro posted:

I like the first shot, if only you'd been able to catch the flight up from behind!
Thanks, you're right, that would have been awesome. It's finally realized that the food we throw at it isn't poison, and is starting to trust us a bit more, so hopefully I'll have more flexibility in taking photos of it in the future.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
So I got my new (used) 70-220 lens in the mail, and man is manual focusing hard! I use a Sony NEX with focus peaking enabled which helps a bit, but I still foresee a lot of practice in the future.

Yo duck! by Danish danish, on Flickr

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

You aussies get the coolest looking birds.

A few weeks ago I heard funny screaming outside and went out on the balcony to check what sort of nightmare child would make that noise. Instead, I spotted this guy sitting on the neighbour's balcony. He had apparently just snacked on one of our usual neighbourhood sparrows or pigeons. I live in central Berlin and had never expected to see a bird of prey up close here, of all places. Hope he comes back! It's a falcon if I'm not mistaken? I used to know birds back in school but haven't really used the knowledge since.

IMG_7042 by Norrskensren

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Lady Sparrow-hawk I believe.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/sparrowhawk/index.aspx

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've been having so much trouble with the Lorikeets. It's really hard to get good shots when you're shooting into a tree in broad daylight, I can't seem to get the exposure right.

These were from today. Two lorikeets fighting over what I could only guess was the same branch in the giant tree. Then a third one started watching, and joined in, and a 4th one came over to watch:

Lorikeets by hookshot88, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Here's some oldies from a trip to Australia

Can someone identify this guy?

bird by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

bird by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

emu by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Can we include bats?

bat by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Rot posted:

Can someone identify this guy?

Victoria Crowned Pigeon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Birds look weird when they blink.

DSC_0126.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

HookShot posted:

I've been having so much trouble with the Lorikeets.
Looks like you're going to have to do it at a different time, and hopefully not in that tree as it looks like an awkward angle!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ruro posted:

Looks like you're going to have to do it at a different time, and hopefully not in that tree as it looks like an awkward angle!

Yeah, it really sucks. I'm basically shooting straight up into the tree from down below. Because it's inside the tree it gets pretty dark, so if it's not broad daylight I can't get the shutter speed high enough to freeze their movements, but when it is broad daylight it still messes up the exposure.

I'm mostly just trying different things to try and fix this every time, I think this effort was better than my last one but they're still tough to take photos of.

Sadly, that tree is the only one I can take photos of the local lorikeets in. In the 1+ year that I've lived here I've never seen one on the ground, they fly in between the really big trees around here and that seems to be it.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

HookShot posted:

Yeah, it really sucks. I'm basically shooting straight up into the tree from down below. Because it's inside the tree it gets pretty dark, so if it's not broad daylight I can't get the shutter speed high enough to freeze their movements, but when it is broad daylight it still messes up the exposure.
If you are in south east Queensland the Mt Cootha botanical gardens is magic for Lorikeets in the afternoon. Although last time I was there photographing them a Cockatoo felt the need to swoop us a bit.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Chickens!

chicken by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

It was tough to get a good picture of this guy, but I like the photobomb in this one:

rooster by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ hahaha the pullet looking through the rooster's bum in that second shot is absolutely awesome.

ruro posted:

If you are in south east Queensland the Mt Cootha botanical gardens is magic for Lorikeets in the afternoon. Although last time I was there photographing them a Cockatoo felt the need to swoop us a bit.

I'm a bit too far south for Mt Cootha sadly. I'm not super keen on awesome Lorikeet photos, I just like the challenge of trying to take the ones in our tree properly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0100.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0012.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Tried putting some of these in black and White to save them, I think I like how they came out.

DSC_0082.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0080.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Ah to have a feeder...

DSC_8608 by dedianmn, on Flickr

Took some more at a local WMA with a platform overlooking a big pond. Forgot about shutter speed, so when a huge osprey (maybe?) circled overhead, all 20 or so pictures were blurry. Next time!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Finally got a good shot of this bastard.

No one likes a Blue Jay by MrDespair, on Flickr

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Woke up and saw a pigeon sitting on the flagpole next door.
Not ten seconds go by from I have my camera ready before another bird comes by and knocks the other one down. This was taken a split second before that happened.

Manual focus is still hard, and I wish i had a longer lens than a 220mm.

Knockdown by Danish danish, on Flickr

Edit:
I took this picture of a Hen with a cheap 35mm f1.7 c-mount chineese lens.

Heng by Danish danish, on Flickr

Also, more pigeons.

Flock'n by Danish danish, on Flickr

-Anders fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 24, 2011

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Why can't all birds be as easy to shoot as swans?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Birds walking.

2011-657 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

And fly away.

2011-658 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Apparently I have a thing for photographing *parts* of birds.

Duckbutt! by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Well, part of one anyway. :( Poor guy.

Winging It by sulakkalus, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

An angry northern mockingbird trying to chase off a crow. The only problem with its plan was there was a good constant breeze going that kept it from actually reaching the crow. I've got a few more pictures of the mocker getting blown away shortly after this and trying a couple more times before giving up and landing dejectedly on a lower branch while the crow barely reacts at all.

A for effort, little guy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've gotten a bit better at taking the lorikeets in the trees.

Lorikeet by hookshot88, on Flickr

(didn't realize how noisy that shot was, gonna have to fix it)

And some noisy miners having a feed:

Noisy Miners by hookshot88, on Flickr

Noisy Miner by hookshot88, on Flickr

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Any comments on the processing/composition of these? These were taken at a park where most birds just let you walk right up to them, so it's just a little less cheating than a zoo I guess.

DSC_9322 by dedianmn, on Flickr

DSC_9329 by dedianmn, on Flickr

The following were taken at a local wildlife management area that has all sorts of geese and other water birds coming and going this time of year. I tried using shutter priority at 1/1250, but that might have been too slow.

DSC_9249 by dedianmn, on Flickr

DSC_9228 by dedianmn, on Flickr

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

The light was amazing tonight. Autumn is really showing off as well. Can anyone identify this bird? I'm in NE Wisconsin if that helps. I'm used to only seeing mallard ducks, geese, and the occasional heron and pelican. No idea what this is.

On the Fox River by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Double-crested cormorant, it looks like.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

William T. Hornaday posted:

Double-crested cormorant, it looks like.

After doing a Google search , I do believe you are correct. Thank you!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Anyone use a 1.4x TC with a 70-200 f4L? I'm wondering how much power I'll actually be getting, since it would only take me to 280mm vs. 200. A 2x tele won't work as that would make it f/8 and I'll lose autofocus, right?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Anyone use a 1.4x TC with a 70-200 f4L? I'm wondering how much power I'll actually be getting, since it would only take me to 280mm vs. 200. A 2x tele won't work as that would make it f/8 and I'll lose autofocus, right?

Well, you will gain some reach, which can be helpful at times. The 70-200/4 is a good enough lens that you will see little IQ loss with the 1.4x (assuming you aren't using a crap one).

As for the 2x, you will see serious deterioration in image quality. If your camera has liveview you can still use autofocus in live view (contrast detect) but it will be slow.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Blue Jays are way nicer when they don't have to worry about roving flocks of blackbirds.

DSC_0540.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0403.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0197.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Fairly tame hummingbirds in my lemon tree

Hummingbird by Graniteman, on Flickr

Hummingbird by Graniteman, on Flickr

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 5, 2011

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Allen's Hummingbird by The original David L, on Flickr

Tried birding with my 70-200 F4L. Good quality optics, but I feel some more reach might have been helpful.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kayaking + photography is such a great combo for bird photography. If you sneak in without much movement the birds tolerate much closer human presence than normal. This is not a crop:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Kayaking + photography is such a great combo for bird photography. If you sneak in without much movement the birds tolerate much closer human presence than normal. This is not a crop:

Holy crap that's awesome. Can you see your reflection in the loon's eye?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Can you see your reflection in the loon's eye?
It was a 400mm lens so I was still a good distance away.

Totally unrelated, but here's a shot from some trumpeter swans I was trying to sneak up on yesterday. They are crazy nervous birds.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Mr. Despair posted:

Blue Jays are way nicer when they don't have to worry about roving flocks of blackbirds.

DSC_0403.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Love how vibrant the colours on this one are, wish there were more Blue Jays in my area, I'm lucky to see one every 2-3 months.

Went to the park the other day, all the geese and ducks are stopping by as they make their way south.

geese at the park by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

geese at the park by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

diving duck by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Love how vibrant the colours on this one are, wish there were more Blue Jays in my area, I'm lucky to see one every 2-3 months.

Thanks, having a bird feeder helped a lot. Sadly this whole past week I haven't had time before school to check them out, and by the time I get home it's too dark to get good shots :(

And I just got a new lens for the Jay too :negative: I should just make a detour to the lake before school to check out the birds there though, hrm.

New lens was totally worth it though.

DSC_0950.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0831.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I spent some time shooting from my kayak today.

Heron:

Swan family:

Baby swan:

Swan digging up weeds:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amoeba
Aug 15, 2001
Went to a Canon workshop at the local zoo this weekend, got to play with the 400/2.8. Do want.

_MG_9712.jpg by justin.wake, on Flickr