Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm a banker. But Mineral Engineering has peaked my interest as a possible career path. Any Mineral Engineers feel like telling me what they love and hate about their field? I also wouldn't mind hearing from any Petroleum Engineering grads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luuq
Nov 27, 2007
hurrikaani
Hi. I'm currently studying for a degree in EE with CS/CE as a minor. When I get old I want to build cool future stuff. What sort of coursework should I take, and how do I get a job doing this stuff? It's so new so I guess the jobs at the moment are in research which probably would mean a PhD?

Luuq fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 12, 2011

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

melon cat posted:

I'm a banker. But Mineral Engineering has peaked my interest as a possible career path. Any Mineral Engineers feel like telling me what they love and hate about their field? I also wouldn't mind hearing from any Petroleum Engineering grads.

I'm a petroleum engineer with 5 years of experience from the Colorado School of Mines. I work in drilling but I also do some stuff in completions. I love the oilfield. It's a great industry with a huge future ahead of it in the US. That being said, do not go into PE for the money. Especially if you go into drilling or completions. 60 or 70 hour work weeks, calls at all hours day and night. Don't choose PE unless you truly truly love it

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Luuq posted:

Hi. I'm currently studying for a degree in EE with CS/CE as a minor. When I get old I want to build cool future stuff. What sort of coursework should I take, and how do I get a job doing this stuff? It's so new so I guess the jobs at the moment are in research which probably would mean a PhD?

I hold PhD, but now work as a manager in research & engineering. If you are really passionate about such things and want to design them - then yes, you need to continue studying and possibly get PhD. A bit of a warning, though, getting PhD will actually decrease your chances of getting a job, as many companies will think of you as overqualified for their needs.

With this said, I constantly see a lot of senior engineers without degree, but with years of experience, who are actually much more valuable then fresh PhD guys. Every university or research institution have a bunch of those guys, who only have BSc, but have "golden hands" and can actually build all these hi-tech things. So, another pass - is to try and find position either in academic institution or look for hi-tech ventures. But, be aware again, that looking for a job in hi-tech sector is not very advisable in current financial climate.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
If I were to get a bachelor in mechanical, what are some of the typical masters degrees I could get with that? I am a freshman, but I definitely know I want to get my masters.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Bondage posted:

If I were to get a bachelor in mechanical, what are some of the typical masters degrees I could get with that? I am a freshman, but I definitely know I want to get my masters.
Well typically a lot of people have their masters paid for by the company after they start working. Typical routes are a Masters in your discipline or an MBA to become a manager.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Bondage posted:

Consider an engineering masters to be more of a specialization. And ME is one of the broadest fields out there. Remember that the ME is usually quite central in product development and therefore needs to have a broad knowledge of stuff.
Here is a list of what people could choose from in my university:

Polymer processing: flow of materials with a complex material behavior, as well as predict material properties after processing. Touches on Chemical Engineering as well as Computer Science (stable [finite element] algorithms to simulate these flows are not easy).

Material science. Damage and fracture mechanics. Multi-scale modelling of materials.

Micro and nanoscale engineering. Touches on Applied Physics mainly. Lots of optics and how to properly construct something to manufacture small stuff.

Non-linear dynamics and control. Touches on Electrical Engineering, as well as some interesting mathematics. You learn to model dynamical behavior of lots of systems, and then use a large variety of control strategies.

Flow and heat transfer. Touches on Chemical Engineering as well as Aeronautical. Very broad in length scales. From cooling CPUs to supersonic jets and complete office buildings. Also covers turbulence, which is one of the few remaining classical Newtonian physics problems to remain unsolved.

Automotive: from combustion engines, to material science (deforming bumpers to magneto-rheology for brakes), to biomechanics for impact.

Systems engineering. Touches on Industrial Engineer and Computer Science. Factory throughput simulations with batches, buffers and discrete events. Identify bottlenecks and so on.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bondage posted:

Everyone I've ever talked to in both the academic and professional worlds says don't get suckered into paying for your own master's degree. Any company will pay for it if its relevant to your professional advancement.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 10, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I graduated with a B.S. in Physics and did pretty well. Now I'm a Quality Engineer and my work pays for tuition if I get a B or higher. Seeing as how I probably don't want to do Quality forever, I'd like to get a M.S. in Engineering but I'm not sure exactly what at the moment. That's not my question though, what I want to know is what undergrad classes do you think a graduate program would make me take? Do you think I could do something like take the FE and do well and say "Hey guess I'm qualified enough?" I guess I've seen most of the things in ME but in a different light. My Thermo class was more like particle statistics and all the mechanics I did wasn't really based on properties of materials or making things static, etc.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

I graduated with a B.S. in Physics and did pretty well. Now I'm a Quality Engineer and my work pays for tuition if I get a B or higher. Seeing as how I probably don't want to do Quality forever, I'd like to get a M.S. in Engineering but I'm not sure exactly what at the moment. That's not my question though, what I want to know is what undergrad classes do you think a graduate program would make me take? Do you think I could do something like take the FE and do well and say "Hey guess I'm qualified enough?" I guess I've seen most of the things in ME but in a different light. My Thermo class was more like particle statistics and all the mechanics I did wasn't really based on properties of materials or making things static, etc.

Contact / Email the department. The FE doesn't mean poo poo for grad school, and only your planned school can tell you what courses you do or do not need.
edit: as a current Civil Structural grad student: the undergraduate courses "required" aside from a physics degree would be stuff like (basic) reinforced concrete, (basic) structural analysis, (basic) steel design.

FORUMS USER 1135 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 16, 2011

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

melon cat posted:

Its late here, so I'm not going to put in a lot of effort on this post. Shoot me an email (pbauden@vt.edu) or ask some specific questions and I'd love to answer them as best as I can.

I graduated from VT with my BS in Mining and Minerals Engineering in May. I love my profession. Right now I'm working as a project manager, but as long as you're not a moron you can get fast tracked into production supervision. There are plenty of opportunities all around.

In short, the scale of production in incredible. The interdisciplinary experiences are awesome. I do civil work, electrical work, mechanical work, mine planning, etc etc. Its great being able to come in every day and do something different. Its great being around heavy machinery and working somewhere most people never have the opportunity to visit/work around.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any mechanical engineering goons still in undergraduate interested in interning in Shanghai and teaching English as well for maybe 4 or 5 hours a week? I can't make any promises but I got the lucky chance through a friend to come to Shanghai for an internship and would like to pass it on to someone else when I leave. My boss wants another intern who is motivated to organize an English discussion each week.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

plester1 posted:

Everyone I've ever talked to in both the academic and professional worlds says don't get suckered into paying for your own master's degree. Any company will pay for it if its relevant to your professional advancement.

Alternatively, if you're going the academic route, you should get funding through your adviser or department to pay for school as a GRA or GTA. I'm getting tuition and a stipend to do research.

Keepin It Fresh
Feb 13, 2009

huhu posted:

Any mechanical engineering goons still in undergraduate interested in interning in Shanghai and teaching English as well for maybe 4 or 5 hours a week? I can't make any promises but I got the lucky chance through a friend to come to Shanghai for an internship and would like to pass it on to someone else when I leave. My boss wants another intern who is motivated to organize an English discussion each week.

I'd be interested in this, can you tell me some more details about the internship?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Keepin It Fresh posted:

I'd be interested in this, can you tell me some more details about the internship?
I work at a top 50 Fortune 500. Basically right now I work with AutoCAD and SolidWorks to update and convert drawings. When I'm not doing that I'm preparing for English discussion. I go to four different groups. My own group twice a week, and three other groups once a week. Work from 8:45-17:15 five days a week with two meetings an hour each after work on Tuesday and Thursday. It's probably going to be about a 40 minute commute since the factory is far outside of the city. Everyone speaks English but you're definitely going to feel like a loner some days unless you can speak the language. I didn't when I got here. I've had tutoring 4 hours a week after work for about four months now. I'll be leaving probably in February. You'll get no money for plane tickets or visa and the visa will be one entry so you won't be leaving China unless you want to pay $170 for a new visa to get back in.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 10, 2023

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
When are aerospace companies ever not about to lay everyone off, shut the doors, and burn all the blueprints?

mtr
May 15, 2008

Thoguh posted:

So anybody working in aerospace/defense experiencing significant layoffs? I am hearing about them from a number of companies.

Commercial aerospace is doing just fine, I think. My company is hiring like crazy. Not sure about the defense side of things.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

So anybody working in aerospace/defense experiencing significant layoffs? I am hearing about them from a number of companies.

800 Layoffs coming down before year end where I work. This is after another 800 last year and 500 the year before.

This is also only one division of the company. No idea how the others are doing.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 4, 2016

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)

Thoguh posted:

My company does a lot of work for defense companies and we have been seriously slow since August. I'm hoping it's just temporary since I'm almost certainly the first guy to go.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T.H.E. Rock posted:

My company does a lot of work for defense companies and we have been seriously slow since August. I'm hoping it's just temporary since I'm almost certainly the first guy to go.

From what I've heard the POM 2013 might pick up a bit after the whole debt debate thing from this year, but the defense industry is so big that you really have to keep a tab on what you group/company specialty is.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 10, 2023

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lt Moose posted:

Can anyone tell me what the job market is like for EE's focusing in power systems? I'm a junior who just switched from CompE to EE to focus in this. Right now I'm pretty interested in renewable power - wind and solar mainly, but I'm thinking if I can get an internship at a company that deals with power I'll eventually be able to work with these systems.
I've had two interviews with utilities this fall, but nothing has really came of that. My GPA isn't stellar (2.95), which I'm guessing had a part in it, but I'm really working to be above a 3.0 after this semester, so hopefully the spring career fair will produce something.

It's huge; I spent some time working/researching in that area and I wasn't much of a power guy when I started. Green is all the rage and being handy in whipping up DC/DC converters and grid-tie systems for solar/wind/etc won't hurt at all.

Try to get your GPA above 3.0, definitely, and maybe try to network through your professors.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I just posted a job opening for an ME tech/CAD jockey in the jobs thread, head on over if you're in the Denver area, meet that criteria, and need a job.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Has Civil Engineering recovered yet, or are any parts of it on the upswing at all?

I'm a semester and a half from my AA, finally, and my attempt at talking myself into software fell apart after finding C dry, if very useful, and every trip downtown making me want to scale the abandoned buildings and renovate them myself. I have this addiction to concrete and rocks that also doesn't exactly want to go away, either.

I've seen that the major was hit very hard and is suffering an unemployment rate on par with the nation's workforce on average - around 9% - but the last real info I've seen from it was from a year or two ago. If grad school or being a combat engineer officer is what would make or break me being an engineer versus "that manager with an engineering degree" I'm willing to do that, though I'd like to know what my options are.

Geotech appeals to me on account of dirt, rocks, drills, and yelling at people being a good time, plus geologists drink a lot and would be nearby. Is that still a good industry to shoot for, or was that smashed up too?

I can't help but feel it comes down to if/when a politician finds a way to spin infrastructure repair in a politically viable manner and sneaks it past the current batch of "cut loving everything" political current, but even still, if one does his homework he can mitigate the risks of being unemployed with an engineering degree.

Worst case I'll just play sim city all day and work in a community college, I guess.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Lt Moose posted:

Can anyone tell me what the job market is like for EE's focusing in power systems? I'm a junior who just switched from CompE to EE to focus in this. Right now I'm pretty interested in renewable power - wind and solar mainly, but I'm thinking if I can get an internship at a company that deals with power I'll eventually be able to work with these systems.
I've had two interviews with utilities this fall, but nothing has really came of that. My GPA isn't stellar (2.95), which I'm guessing had a part in it, but I'm really working to be above a 3.0 after this semester, so hopefully the spring career fair will produce something.

I work for a large electrical utility, and we can't hire engineers fast enough at the moment, but that might only be true in my area. There's a variety of power engineer spots, and I think they all look for different qualities. When I've interviewed people, if they had a degree (showing they can learn) and sounded like they could work with customers, that's all I basically needed, but other positions demand more technical expertise and less customer interaction.

We are seeing a ton of solar interconnect requests lately. That may die down once/if government programs dry up, but right now solar and wind are hot.

Aades fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 10, 2017

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

Lt Moose posted:

Hiring in Canada too.

Maybe it's you. Try to practice your interview skills. Does your university have a career centre that can run a mock interview? Your GPA is fine.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2016

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Has Civil Engineering recovered yet, or are any parts of it on the upswing at all?

I'm a semester and a half from my AA, finally, and my attempt at talking myself into software fell apart after finding C dry, if very useful, and every trip downtown making me want to scale the abandoned buildings and renovate them myself. I have this addiction to concrete and rocks that also doesn't exactly want to go away, either.

I've seen that the major was hit very hard and is suffering an unemployment rate on par with the nation's workforce on average - around 9% - but the last real info I've seen from it was from a year or two ago. If grad school or being a combat engineer officer is what would make or break me being an engineer versus "that manager with an engineering degree" I'm willing to do that, though I'd like to know what my options are.

Geotech appeals to me on account of dirt, rocks, drills, and yelling at people being a good time, plus geologists drink a lot and would be nearby. Is that still a good industry to shoot for, or was that smashed up too?

I can't help but feel it comes down to if/when a politician finds a way to spin infrastructure repair in a politically viable manner and sneaks it past the current batch of "cut loving everything" political current, but even still, if one does his homework he can mitigate the risks of being unemployed with an engineering degree.

Worst case I'll just play sim city all day and work in a community college, I guess.

Here is what I notice in the midwest (KC area):

Public work projects are still down due to lower tax yields and the anti-spending attitude prevailing the local government. There is a significant need for infrastructure rehab but no real source of funding. It looks like cities are going to scrap by with the bare minimum improvements for the next few years. This boils down to tons of competition among firms for the few RFQ's that are posted. I assume this boils down to the geotech firms as well.

Private development is dogshit overall. I've seen local firms cutting huge swaths off their land development divisions, my own firm has maybe four engineers left from an original 30+.

I know energy continues to be a hot item among engineers. I think CE's, particularly those with a geology background, are hireable from the oil and gas companies. Those with an environmental background are also in demand with permitting/remediation issues from oil and gas.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pimp Cauldron posted:

Any Industrial Engineers have jobs that aren't totally lame?

I graduated last year in IE after returning to school from five years of software development. I failed out of EE and got talked into finishing an engineering degree rather than switching to something else.

I've been working at a restaurant for a year and a half and enjoying my life. I'm depressed at the prospect of going to the next career fair and selling myself to get into a job that I will loathe.

I know this was a month ago, but did you do an undergrad work for 5 years then go back to school to get another undergrad in engineering? I've actually considered something like that, but it seems insane since I'm doing extremely well and I'd have to give it up, go back to school, and then go through the entry level job world again making less money.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
Anyone have any general comments/stories on how hard it is getting a graduate job? I'm going through lots of different applications now for 2012 programmes but I have no idea how optimistic/pessimistic to be about the whole ordeal. I'm a good student and all but I've still got a few weaknesses I'm conscious about (turns out not getting involved in organisations to focus on your grades can come back to hurt you!).

UK and ChemEng relevent advice would be very appreciated but I'm curious about further afield too :)

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Daviclond posted:

UK and ChemEng relevent advice would be very appreciated but I'm curious about further afield too :)

Speaking of what I know.

ChemEng can give you access to Oil&Gas, which may include both service companies (drilling, fluid analysis, etc) and operators (refineries).

Try looking for Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes (service) and BP, Statoil, Shell (operators).

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Edited out personal info.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 20, 2013

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

You talk only about ranking, but what you personally feel about quality of education in each of these schools? Do you feel the difference?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Yeah, it's not about your GPA, it's about your education. You have to balance out cost and debt as well. But the bottom-line question is: would you get a better education at the higher ranked school, or are you happy with the education you're presently receiving? So long as you hold a better than 3.0 GPA and know what you're doing, you're going to have good job prospects.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
Don't transfer and stick with the research job. That will benefit you more than a school's name every will. I'd hire a state school grad who did research over a Top 20 grad who didn't any day.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

~

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
While we're on the topic of research: When is a good time to start? I'm a Junior in EE, but a CC transfer so I'm only taking my first actual EE classes now. I am only taking 2 classes this semester and will likely only take 2 classes next semester but I will start ramping up to 4 afterwards. The reason for this is I'm working full time as a programmer for the Air Force on top of school so my free time is limited but I would really like to shove in some research in there. How many classes should I have under my belt before I approach someone and ask if I can get started on something (is this even how it works?)?