Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Apocron posted:

Now I'm wondering if Malack's special diet is sinister:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0743.html

Hey, my silly prediction is over a year old now:

Bobulus posted:

Pale, fanged, special dietary needs? That's not an albino lizardman cleric, that's a vampire lizardman cleric! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh come on, he all but said he doesn't drink... wine.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
That's what I've been thinking, but you see him out in the sunlight a lot, and in 3.5 there's really nothing vampires can do to prevent instant evaporation.

Hate-O-Tron
Apr 1, 2007
I could be wrong, but aren't those last couple strips taking place outside on the balcony during daylight?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Maybe Nale is using the Stalwart Sorcerer variant. It would net him two bonus HP a level and the weapon focus of his choice in exchange for his familiar, which we've never seen. If they're doing 75% of your HD as HP a level, that would result in his Sorcerer levels netting him more HP a level than Elan's Bard levels (3+2=5 vs. 4.5).

What the hell, all that for no familiar? I'd never allow that variant without additional cost.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.
Isn't Malack a ghost or wight or spectre or some other undead D&D monster I'm probably not familiar with? Note in this latest strip his feet are never drawn even when diving at Nale, suggesting that isn't his tail sticking out of the back of his robes but ectoplasm or whatever spectral figures' legs turn into.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

terminal mehmet posted:

What the hell, all that for no familiar? I'd never allow that variant without additional cost.

Don't worry. This is another "what does Harm do" situation.

With Stalwart Sorcerer, you get Martial Weapon Proficiency for one weapon, Weapon Focus for that weapon, and extra HP equal to 2 times your Sorcerer level (so all those non-Sorcerer classes get squat).

For this you give up a spell known of the highest spell level you know.

So, assuming you stay a Sorcerer you can end up with 40 extra HP at level 20.

Is 40 HP worth a 9th level spell known and the ability to prestige class?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hypocrisy posted:

Don't worry. This is another "what does Harm do" situation.

With Stalwart Sorcerer, you get Martial Weapon Proficiency for one weapon, Weapon Focus for that weapon, and extra HP equal to 2 times your Sorcerer level (so all those non-Sorcerer classes get squat).

For this you give up a spell known of the highest spell level you know.

So, assuming you stay a Sorcerer you can end up with 40 extra HP at level 20.

Is 40 HP worth a 9th level spell known and the ability to prestige class?

He'll never get 9th level spells, I'm sure he can prestige into all kinds of crazy stuff anyway, and hitpoints are crazy important in OotS where everyone passes all their saving throws against everything forever, pretty much.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

cell posted:

Isn't Malack a ghost or wight or spectre or some other undead D&D monster I'm probably not familiar with? Note in this latest strip his feet are never drawn even when diving at Nale, suggesting that isn't his tail sticking out of the back of his robes but ectoplasm or whatever spectral figures' legs turn into.

I'm sure this is what Burlew is trying to hint at, meaning he's probably just a lizardfolk with a skin condition and lactose intolerance.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Being that Malack is a a cleric of Nergal, it would be a lovely thing for a desert god to still let his people be susceptible to the sun.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

sansuki posted:

Being that Malack is a a cleric of Nergal, it would be a lovely thing for a desert god to still let his people be susceptible to the sun.

The "real" Nergal is a Sun/Summer Solstice, Death and Destruction type of god though.

Also, there's this spell called Endure Elements.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cell posted:

Note in this latest strip his feet are never drawn even when diving at Nale, suggesting that isn't his tail sticking out of the back of his robes but ectoplasm or whatever spectral figures' legs turn into.

To me it looks more like he's got no feet but he's like a snake with arms. The tail is his 'feet'.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

New comic, horrible joke, enjoy!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Tarquin as ever is the Evil Overlord List incarnate.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
True Neutral: Truly, the most evil of all Alignments.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yes, yes, born with a heart full of neutrality and all that.

I suppose these are the sorts of practical protocols you'd have to come up with in a world where shape-shifting, teleporting, mind control, and so many other crazy elements are common.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
I like Malack more and more as this goes on. He's a cool dude.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

404GoonNotFound posted:

True Neutral: Truly, the most evil of all Alignments.

Or....

the most AWESOME!

"I maxed out in 'not giving a drat' ..."

Neutral clerical spells: Shrug of Indifference, Power Word 'Whatever', Communicable Yawn...

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Effingham posted:

Neutral clerical spells: Shrug of Indifference, Power Word 'Whatever', Communicable Yawn...

All yawns are communicable, you silly person.

Also, Elan has not considered the possibility of a sister named Lena. I'm sure that as we speak, thousands of teenage fanfic writers are rectifying this.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TheAceOfLungs posted:

It's not a high level spell.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's not a high level spell.

It may well be the only -1 level spell.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
And knowing the usual 3.x edition method of cleric "balance," it probably incapacitates a monster for 1d4 rounds or something.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Ah, but they are only in line-of-sight. This is an area-affect spell. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

And knowing the usual 3.x edition method of cleric "balance," it probably incapacitates a monster for 1d4 rounds or something.
An unhinged jaw is nothing to laugh at.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Effingham posted:

Ah, but they are only in line-of-sight. This is an area-affect spell. :)

It's not line-of-sight only. The aural component of Communicable Yawn still forces a save, but the target gets +2 on his roll.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

It's not line-of-sight only. The aural component of Communicable Yawn still forces a save, but the target gets +2 on his roll.

I read this post imagined a yawn, then had one of my own. Would that make it a psionic attack?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Reinbach posted:

I read this post imagined a yawn, then had one of my own. Would that make it a psionic attack?

Psionic Yawn is its own 1st-level power. Nothing to do with the spell.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I like to play LN with a character that hails from a strict religion or a clan based society. Being LN and just following laws in general is kind of dull, but following the laws of a minority culture is much more interesting and memorable. My favorite character I've ever played was like this.

I think we're missing the most remarkable thing about this strip. A high, possibly epic level Cleric with Wisdom out the wazoo just called Elan "wise."

Edit: I browsed over the "true neutral" comment and read it as LN somehow... Eh, my point still stands.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 29, 2011

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Man, I love this thread. :)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Next strip: a 26th level Psion loses to Elan in chess.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pre:
Communicable Yawn
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: 	Sor/Wiz 0
Components: 	V, S
Casting Time: 	1 standard action
Range: 	Touch
Area: 50ft-radius spread
Effect: 	Those affected must yawn loudly.
Duration: 	Instantaneous
Saving Throw: 	Will negates
Spell Resistance: 	No

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
How can you have a level 0 spell? What is that? I thought that was just a Rincewind joke.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

How can you have a level 0 spell? What is that? I thought that was just a Rincewind joke.

Cantrips.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cantrips offer such power as dealing a d3 of damage or healing a hit point. Yes, healing a hit point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Poil posted:

Cantrips offer such power as dealing a d3 of damage or healing a hit point. Yes, healing a hit point.
Which is enough to stabilize a dying person, I believe.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Poil posted:

Also generating light, detecting magic, and stuff like that. You can cast a bunch of them a day, even as a Wizard, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Prestidigitation is the best cantrip. You can do anything with it, so long as that anything you just did is utterly useless in mechanical terms and doesn't duplicate another spell.

quote:

Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. The effects are minor and have severe limitations. A prestidigitation can slowly lift 1 pound of material. It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material. It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters. Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial. The materials created by a prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile, and they cannot be used as tools, weapons, or spell components. Finally, a prestidigitation lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

This spell is the best spell. It's what casters use to be utterly awesome. It's not that they utterly imbalance combat. It's the fact that they can do poo poo like:

Want your awesome wizard robe to billow in wind that is not there? Prestidigitation.
Tired of drinking terrible river water? Make it taste like a fine wine with Prestidigitation.
Need a pillow for a catnap? Prestidigitation.
Want to close your window, but you're already in bed? Prestidigitation.
Ever said "hold this" to someone? Make them utterly useless with Prestidigitation.

Not only are wizards completely overpowered in combat, but they make ordinary common folk like servants and cooks completely useless, too! Wizards are awesome!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Basically every single person on the planet has no reason not to become a 1st level wizard (or if your DM allows it, a 0 level wizard!) just to get access to be able to cast prestidigitation. All you would need is a Int of 10 and someone to write down how to cast it so you can remind yourself every morning.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Zereth posted:

Which is enough to stabilize a dying person, I believe.

And remove all non-lethal damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Vicissitude posted:

And remove all non-lethal damage.
What, for real? I thought subdual and lethal damages were healed at the same rate, just that healing spells would heal both at once--for example, if you rolled 12 on a 2d8 healing spell, you'd restore both 12 subdual HP and 12 lethal HP. Have I been doing it wrong?