Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Ender.uNF posted:

Really good stuff about WiMax/LTE.

Hey, thanks a bunch! Really informative post. I sort of curious though if the existing 4G/WiMax network will be the last to get LTE deployed (since they already have "4G") or if they're going to be using some other sort of criteria for deciding who/when/where to deploy LTE. I'd really be disappointing if I have to stick with lovely borderline unusable WiMax for the next several years because Sprint thinks my city (Midland/Odessa, TX ...probably not at the top of their priorities anyhow) is already "covered". I'm hoping that, with any luck, the booming economy out here will bump us up a little priority wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

ddogflex posted:

Wait, what? Where is the link for that?

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD378LL/A?select=select&product=MD378LL/A&cppart=UNLOCKED/US

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

loving ORDERED. Thanks.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
One small detail:
I wired up a shitload of VZW towers with gigabit connections, many of which were 5-6 per OC-48 ring. An OC-48 has roughly 2.4 gigs of bandwidth, so you do the math.
Bottom line is, the connection speed has no direct correlation to bandwidth. It would take the world's biggest collection of arrays on a single tower to use that fat of a pipe.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Ordered. Not expecting this to pan out at all, though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
On one hand, it seems impossible that that would be legit. On the other hand, it's been up on Apple's site for a lot longer than you would expect, so there must be some legitimacy to it. I'm half tempted to buy it myself but there has to be something weird about it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On one hand, it seems impossible that that would be legit. On the other hand, it's been up on Apple's site for a lot longer than you would expect, so there must be some legitimacy to it. I'm half tempted to buy it myself but there has to be something weird about it.

I don't know what the hell could possibly happen bad, but it makes me uneasy somehow too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ddogflex posted:

I don't know what the hell could possibly happen bad, but it makes me uneasy somehow too.

I guess there's no way to know if it'll work on Sprint (chances are it won't). I'll be disappointed if it works and I'm the only sucker that didn't buy one.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I guess there's no way to know if it'll work on Sprint (chances are it won't). I'll be disappointed if it works and I'm the only sucker that didn't buy one.
The order confirmation pretty specifically says it's for sprint, and there's no indication anywhere that it's a non-working phone. Simple as this: If it works, it will have been worth it. If they cancel my order and don't ship it, I'm not out anything. If it doesn't work, they will be refunding my money, because they at no point stated that it would not work on Sprint, and they did imply that it would.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 23, 2011

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Even if it doesn't, you can always sell it for profit. Though none of this matters since it won't work anyway.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The carrier (as far as I can tell) is aligned with the first the characters of the model #, and that is the correct model # for Sprint phones.

That's if it even ships :)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

clockworx posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The carrier (as far as I can tell) is aligned with the first the characters of the model #, and that is the correct model # for Sprint phones.

That's if it even ships :)
We may be too late, but they definitely are shipping or, at least, have shipped, some of them:

td4guy posted:

Update for that subsidized iPhone apple.com malformed store ID hack link from a few pages back... It worked! FedEx tracking shows my phone just shipped from Shenzen, CN.

Edit: And so far, at least, I got an order confirmation. No telling if they ship it from here, but so far, so good.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 23, 2011

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Others have received it and confirmed it works.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Well color me shocked then. Gonna order one for my wife I guess. Is it weird that it ships from China?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well color me shocked then. Gonna order one for my wife I guess. Is it weird that it ships from China?

Until recently, all of the iPads were shipping direct from China. I know it was that way for several months after they released in March.

It makes sense to ship it direct from the manufacturing plant with the high demand and avoid any US-side handling/storage costs.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Then why isn't this $400 off deal better known? Something just doesn't make sense to me.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
I got my confirmation email. Can't wait to see if a phone shows up in a few weeks!

My friend ordered one using the link - he's on AT&T. What would happen if he put his SIM in it?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No. Anything release-date-ordered from Apple generally does.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
On the order information it shows this:

"SPRINT SUBSIDIZED PHONE"

I don't think this is possible but is there a chance that when you activate it on Sprint you have to start a new contract or pay the difference on the phone for an existing contract? That can't be right at all but just trying to make heads or tails of this deal.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does TEP not work with the iPhone? Should I have bought Applecare and dropped TEP?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It does not, and yes, you should. You should be able to call one of the 800 #s from the last page this post and get it added when you get the phone, though.

Mr. Ali posted:

On the order information it shows this:

"SPRINT SUBSIDIZED PHONE"

I don't think this is possible but is there a chance that when you activate it on Sprint you have to start a new contract or pay the difference on the phone for an existing contract? That can't be right at all but just trying to make heads or tails of this deal.
That hasn't been the experience of people whom it's worked for. It appears to simply be a mistake, which they hopefully won't correct before mine ships :D

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 24, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does TEP not work with the iPhone? Should I have bought Applecare and dropped TEP?

At this time it doesn't cover the iPhone.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Well loving ordered, hope it works out

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Battle Cattle posted:

I got my confirmation email. Can't wait to see if a phone shows up in a few weeks!

My friend ordered one using the link - he's on AT&T. What would happen if he put his SIM in it?

I'd really like to know the answer to this too. I have family members with AT&T who would love to jump on this deal.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Really wouldn't hurt to try, if it doesn't work you can flip it easy to sprint customers.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
If I were to get a 4S with a monthly plan from Sprint and transfer my number from AT&T, would it be best to order online or go to a store? This is assuming I don't end up buying the phone from the link being talked about right now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

that Vai sound posted:

If I were to get a 4S with a monthly plan from Sprint and transfer my number from AT&T, would it be best to order online or go to a store? This is assuming I don't end up buying the phone from the link being talked about right now.

I'm going to laugh when activating the phone from that link self-destructs everybody's accounts.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

brc64 posted:

I'm going to laugh when activating the phone from that link self-destructs everybody's accounts.
Because sprint is going out of business, right?

steimer
Jun 6, 2005
Yep, I ordered, too. Crossing my fingers.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I ordered on the 13th and it shipped on the 22nd (okay, it was the 23rd by then in China). Gonna make some mad eBay dollars.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

td4guy posted:

I ordered on the 13th and it shipped on the 22nd (okay, it was the 23rd by then in China). Gonna make some mad eBay dollars.
If they cancel my order, I'm blaming you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"that Vai sound" posted:

It's the same price so up to you.

For people looking for the 4S they are getting better stock in store again, anyone need help finding them pm me.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Has anyone had issues with their EVO 3D touchscreen registering ghost taps? Mine has started constantly bugging out and it's getting to the point where it's almost unusable. Checked for firmware and HTC updates, no dice.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Alman posted:

Has anyone had issues with their EVO 3D touchscreen registering ghost taps? Mine has started constantly bugging out and it's getting to the point where it's almost unusable. Checked for firmware and HTC updates, no dice.

My Evo (just plain Evo) does this, moreso when it's plugged in and charging. Usually for me if I wipe off the screen it gets better, but sometimes not.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Any negatives to using that link if I don't already have an account with Sprint? I'd be starting up with an EPRP plan.

I already ordered since it's basically the only way to get a Sprint iPhone 4S (16GB) online right now (every website is sold out).

Edit: so if I activated this with the $60/month EPRP plan, I could just drop it with no penalty in x months when the 5 comes out? This is a pretty big deal.

Happy Pizza Guy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 24, 2011

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Any negatives to using that link if I don't already have an account with Sprint? I'd be starting up with an EPRP plan.

I already ordered since it's basically the only way to get a Sprint iPhone 4S (16GB) online right now (every website is sold out).

Edit: so if I activated this with the $60/month EPRP plan, I could just drop it with no penalty in x months when the 5 comes out? This is a pretty big deal.

You have to sign a 2 year contract with Sprint no matter where the phone comes from.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ddogflex posted:

You have to sign a 2 year contract with Sprint no matter where the phone comes from.

...but (if I'm not mistaken), you'd be eligible for an upgrade immediately, so as far as upgrading to the 5 next year goes, you'd be in the same boat.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

WoG posted:

...but (if I'm not mistaken), you'd be eligible for an upgrade immediately, so as far as upgrading to the 5 next year goes, you'd be in the same boat.

Yeah I guess I misunderstood the question, that is how it should work afaik. Although that would still require a new contract.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I have my 3rd EVO 4G refurb replacement on its way. I forget, do they offer TEP on a refurb when you get it? I'm starting to think it might be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ddogflex posted:

Yeah I guess I misunderstood the question, that is how it should work afaik. Although that would still require a new contract.

Why would getting the upgrade you've already contracted for require another contract?