Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Dangerllama posted:

I used to think like this too. "Oh, those are pros making pro moves, so none of it applies to the stuff I'm doing." I'm not claiming to be Mike Babcock over here, but that kind of thinking misses the point. The question is why the pros are doing what they're doing. In the example above, Lindstrom is in good position...for any league.

I agree that there's a lot of cargo-cult thinking that goes into beer-league players doing stupid poo poo. Take for example a defenseman blindly moving a puck up to the point, for a turnover, and bemoaning "If I were in a better league, the winger would have been there!!!" Or trying to take a super sweet one-timer from the point. But the mistakes D-league players make aren't because they're trying to do what the pros are doing, it's because they have no idea why they're doing it.

In any case, Lindstrom's position would certainly be an improvement over say, below the goal line, where certain of my team's wingers end up sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Dangerllama posted:

I agree that there's a lot of cargo-cult thinking that goes into beer-league players doing stupid poo poo. Take for example a defenseman blindly moving a puck up to the point, for a turnover, and bemoaning "If I were in a better league, the winger would have been there!!!" Or trying to take a super sweet one-timer from the point. But the mistakes D-league players make aren't because they're trying to do what the pros are doing, it's because they have no idea why they're doing it.

The one-timer from the point is a great example. You never used to see that in the pros until the past few years when defensive layering came into fashion and moving the puck D to D meant that you didn't have to shoot through three bodies all trying to block the shot. If you're playing a team that's not layering the D zone—i.e. every beer league team—than the one-timer makes no sense at all. You'd be better to corral it, take the ice you have, and put it hard and low trying to generate a rebound.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Hockles posted:

For people that do inline:

I just switched to new wheels, I brought my current bearings from the (now) old wheels to the new wheels. I wiped all the dirt/dust off the bearings and sprayed them with WD40 when swapping them out. Before I switched, all 8 wheels spun continuously for a few seconds. Now, 3 of the 8 wheels only spin for roughly a second. What could I have done to make them spin less? What should I do to get those wheels back to working how they did before I switched them?

Do not use WD40 on bearings. The times I did it it was a short term fix. Most bearings come with proper lube that will allow them to be smooth as butter. I would lube them up fairly often, more often than I should have probably. I occasionally rotated them also but that likely made little difference.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

toxicsunset posted:

Edit:

Next show me a clip of Kris Letang and explain how that makes it OK for beer league defensemen to pinch in behind the net in the offensive zone all the time
I do that if I have an opportunity to get the puck and one of my forwards is covering the point. I am not Kris Letang, yet it seems to work just fine.

e: Bearing talk: My local rink has some sort of sport court that sheds white crap everywhere, so bearings are pretty much a lost cause. Anyone else have experience on similar surfaces?

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 23, 2011

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Robo-Pope posted:

e: Bearing talk: My local rink has some sort of sport court that sheds white crap everywhere, so bearings are pretty much a lost cause. Anyone else have experience on similar surfaces?

That is the same situation that I am in.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Hockles posted:

That is the same situation that I am in.
Aha.

My best solution (which is by no means a GOOD solution) once there's too much crap in there, is to just tighten the screws a bit less, so there's more clearance between the bearings/wheels and the frame. That way the white crap is less of a problem, although that will allow more of it to get in there.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

So my game tonight ended in a brawl with 20 seconds left with about 4 guys coming off each bench. That was dumb.

e: Also a couple of our better players will probably get suspended.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 24, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Beer league fights are dumb. Why can't everyone be a mild-mannered pansy like me?

that sorta sounded sarcastic but it wasn't :smith:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gio posted:

Beer league fights are dumb. Why can't everyone be a mild-mannered pansy like me?

that sorta sounded sarcastic but it wasn't :smith:

Yeah, it was just me and our captain left on the bench and this one other guy who's new to playing who turned to me and said "I'm a surgeon, I can't be punching people, is that ok?"

The bonehead who started the fight was giving me poo poo in the locker room about not coming off the bench too. Sorry I didn't get a closer view of you getting punched in the stomach and throwing up on the ice dude.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Thufir posted:

Yeah, it was just me and our captain left on the bench and this one other guy who's new to playing who turned to me and said "I'm a surgeon, I can't be punching people, is that ok?"

The bonehead who started the fight was giving me poo poo in the locker room about not coming off the bench too. Sorry I didn't get a closer view of you getting punched in the stomach and throwing up on the ice dude.

Anytime there's been a fight or anything I've always been in there but just to pull people off each other. I would feel kind of weird being the only one still sitting on the bench. A lot of guys just kind of pretend to get involved

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

I played a game once where the ref attacked a guy on the other team. It was a delayed penalty, and the ref had his arm up, but this kid was skating for the puck and didn't see him. He took a turn-around slapper high off the glass that whistled by the ref's ear and he lost his poo poo, charged at the kid, and proceeded to try to rearrange his face. Fortunately, the other ref broke it up before I had to decide whether or not it was my place to intervene.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Eh, I wouldn't. I'm well past the point in my life where I give a drat if guys think I'm a pussy or not. Fortunately, I guess, I've never been on a team involved in a line brawl.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Any time there has been a fight in my beer league games, only the two guys on the ice are interested in it so nobody else has to hug and grapple and poo poo, we all just stand around going "This is loving stupid, we're like div 7, what are you proving." and then they fall over quickly because fighting on skates is hard and that's about all.

I'm in a new league with a bunch of farmers and poo poo though so maybe there will be a bench clearing brawl at some point. No worries, I've got a cage :smug:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gio posted:

Eh, I wouldn't. I'm well past the point in my life where I give a drat if guys think I'm a pussy or not. Fortunately, I guess, I've never been on a team involved in a line brawl.

All the poo poo I have seen started in my short playing career has been by really young guys, like 18-22. I'm not old but I'm pushing 30 and I don't really care if some 20 year-old thinks I'm a pussy. I have to go to work tomorrow and I paid my league fee, I don't want to get suspended and miss a game over some bullshit.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
When I said I start grabbing people to pull them off, I meant my own players. My captain is our best defensemen and he likes to think he needs to stand up for everyone else on the team and on or off the ice any altercation quickly escalates when he's involved so several times this season alone I've had to grab him and yank him back to the bench

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

All the poo poo I have seen started in my short playing career has been by really young guys, like 18-22. I'm not old but I'm pushing 30 and I don't really care if some 20 year-old thinks I'm a pussy. I have to go to work tomorrow and I paid my league fee, I don't want to get suspended and miss a game over some bullshit.

You haven't been playing long enough.

It hits a new level of pathetic when the guy doing the instigating/fighting has to go calm down his kids after he gets ejected because they're upset because daddy was fighting. Which happened today...

Had a "placement game" today where apparently the first 3 weeks are spent with the lower division teams play the winners of the upper divisions. One guy on the other team took 6 penalties, got a game misconduct, and threw punches when he slammed a guy who might be 5'2" into the boards and thought that the dude getting up meant that he wanted to fight. I don't even know.

I emailed the league director and asked him what the point of that was. The team won the upper division last year and they scheduled them against my team, who apparently struggled in the lower division.

EDIT: And this team had a ringer who looked like bewbies, right down to the scruff and black sweatpant socks.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 24, 2011

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Won our game tonight 7-4. I had a nice deflection goal and set up an assist for my linemate who was in a goal funk. Best birthday present is a good hockey win.

Bearing chat: never use WD40 on your bearings. You probably cleaned out all the lube that was in the bearing track and that's why they hang up now. Go get some bearing lube and relube them and they should start to roll fine.

I have a gear cleaning question. I usually throw my shinguards and stuff like that into the washer but would you also recommend putting gloves in there? I just picked up a new pair of Bauer 4 rolls, probably the nicest gloves I've had so far so I don't want to ruin the palm leather washing them (if that's possible).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I wouldn't throw gloves in there. If you can, just dry them fast. When you get home put them in front of a fan or in front of a small space heater (one that doesn't get really hot) so that they don't get damp/stay damp.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So I had no games for two weeks and then back 2 back games tonight... I played probably my worst two games of my life..At the end of the second game, I left via the Zamboni door and fell right on my rear end:smith:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

In this pic from tonight, Joakim Lindstrom of the Avs (#28, lower left) is the weak-side winger who's collapsed down to the top of the slot. He's now in position to help prevent anything coming from low to high, and also help cover the slot in case the puck moves over to #96 and the Center in the middle (#37, Ryan O'Reilly) has to move quickly to cover. And, of course, he can move to cover the point if the puck somehow gets shot around the boards. Great positioning here.

High slot is fine, as long as the player understands that the point is still his responsibility and can still get there to cover it. This is the failing that many beer league players fall into. I just don't think that in normal circumstances (i.e. not a situation where the winger was 1F back on a backcheck and basically ends up taking over the center's defensive responsibilities for the time being), a winger should be below the hash marks.

Mr. Chupon
Nov 4, 2006

Wait, am I doing this right?

Thufir posted:

There is no shortage of beer leaguers in their 30's and older who have anger management issues.

Does anyone else play shinny in Europe? I haven't even seen a single shoving match after the whistle in more than a year of being here, I think either Swedes are too nonconfrontational or it's just a particularly mellow group I play with.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
We lost our game yesterday 7 (or 8, or 9 ... I can't really remember at this point) to 2.

We played the first period with 3 skaters. I consider it lucky we were only down 4-0 at that time. Was gassed pretty much the rest of the game even when we did have 2 more people show up to start the second. Oh and our goalie thinks he blew out his groin, too.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
What do I need to work on to develop more strength in a shot? I'm fairly sure I can throw harder than I shoot. With a ball or roller puck, I can pick corners and everything, but a regular puck just kind of wobbles off my stick.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

nahanahs posted:

What do I need to work on to develop more strength in a shot? I'm fairly sure I can throw harder than I shoot. With a ball or roller puck, I can pick corners and everything, but a regular puck just kind of wobbles off my stick.

Any way we can get some video? My guess is you're probably not rolling your wrists over enough, hence your ability to scoop balls off the ground, but not generate any speed with a puck.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pulled off a cool 2-1 win last night.

We beat them last time we played, so they brought in a few ringers for this one. They played all of them for the last 6 minutes of the game. One of them would get the puck and try to go coast-to-coast every single time and win the game on their own. Of course they all got gassed after the first 1-2 minutes of the shift, so they were dead and flat-footed for the last 4 minutes of the game.

After the final whistle, one of them shoulder-bumped me and a couple other teammates as he was skating off the ice. Beer league hockey :allears:

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Dangerllama posted:

Any way we can get some video? My guess is you're probably not rolling your wrists over enough, hence your ability to scoop balls off the ground, but not generate any speed with a puck.

Video would help, as chances are it is something to do with your form. Roller balls/pucks are much lighter than hockey pucks, and so it's easy to be hard/accurate with them using mostly arm strength. To generate real juice on a puck, you need to bring your core into it more. In addition to rolling your wrists are you loading the stick before the shot? Following through? Transferring weight? Failure to do any or all of these could lead to the flutter you describe.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nahanahs posted:

It's probably a technique thing like other people will mention here. Just don't forget to keep working out and doing regular strength training for all parts of your arm and your core. Even your legs with the weight transfer. Seems like many beer leaguers think the problem can be solved by getting a new stick, more flex, different curve, etc when there comes a point where you'd be better served by just getting a little stronger. You could be a bodybuilder for all I know, so this might be all for naught.

Also, if you want a stick that will cause you to shelf a puck (and have a joke of a backhand) look for a Sakic pattern.

I just realize I've probably dated myself and they likely haven't made those in many years. :sigh:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's probably just called something else now.

(I have the same flutter problem and it is definitely because my technique is terrible, actively working on improving it for tonight's game)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been hunting around for a stick with a perfectly flat blade. Does anyone make them anymore?

I want it more for experimentation purposes, so I don't want an expensive one. Wood with no curve would be perfect.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Talkin about shooting practice, what's the cheapest regulation-size goal I can get for my backyard that I won't destroy in like a month using pucks?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

[Edit:] /\ /\ You can make one yourself out of PVC pretty easily. Cheap, and easy to repair. /\ /\

Sakic has been rebranded Hall in the past year. I only know this because I snapped my twig last week and had to conduct an emergency stick search that involved squinting at a lot of blade pattern charts, because my preferred pattern (Tavares, née Recchi) is not currently discounted anywhere.

xzzy: your best bet might be ebay, craigslist or something like that. No one actually manufactures them in adult sizes any more (you can still find them made for youth street hockey and the like). If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Christian brothers might be willing to make one for you.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 24, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Christian brothers might be willing to make one for you.

Interesting, they let you select "neutral" in the drop down for picking lefty or righty. That might be what I'm looking for!

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

xzzy posted:

Interesting, they let you select "neutral" in the drop down for picking lefty or righty. That might be what I'm looking for!

I only saw "Neutral" under the "Face" option. Neutral in that context usually means "neither open, nor closed," that is, when your blade is on the ice, the face will be perpendicular to it, but it'll still be curved either left or right.

If you're willing to pay for the custom job, I'd call them or drop them an email. I haven't ordered from them myself, but I've heard they're very responsive and accommodating.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

Thufir posted:

Talkin about shooting practice, what's the cheapest regulation-size goal I can get for my backyard that I won't destroy in like a month using pucks?

If I didn't already have a net I'd probably get the EZ goal,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoP7npOE4oI&feature=player_embedded

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Angry Asian posted:

If I didn't already have a net I'd probably get the EZ goal,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoP7npOE4oI&feature=player_embedded

EZ Goal works well. It's regulation size. You will dent the gently caress out of it but it holds up. If you don't have to move it, that's a bonus as it barely fits in my small SUV.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone know when that new Easton stick that all the reviewers were buzzing about is hitting the market. The one that was going to be like 100-129 but blow that price point's competition away. I think it was like the 65S?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

I only saw "Neutral" under the "Face" option. Neutral in that context usually means "neither open, nor closed," that is, when your blade is on the ice, the face will be perpendicular to it, but it'll still be curved either left or right.

http://www.cbhockey.com/acv-series-hockey-stick/acv-senior-wood-hockey-stick.html

:iiam:

I'll send 'em an email when I get a chance though, they seem pretty neat. Thanks.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

It's probably a technique thing like other people will mention here. Just don't forget to keep working out and doing regular strength training for all parts of your arm and your core. Even your legs with the weight transfer. Seems like many beer leaguers think the problem can be solved by getting a new stick, more flex, different curve, etc when there comes a point where you'd be better served by just getting a little stronger. You could be a bodybuilder for all I know, so this might be all for naught.

Also, if you want a stick that will cause you to shelf a puck (and have a joke of a backhand) look for a Sakic pattern.

I just realize I've probably dated myself and they likely haven't made those in many years. :sigh:

I have a Sakic. My backhand is indeed a joke (and my forehand, and my stickhandling, and my... :sigh: )

I also have an EZ goal which I like a lot. The setup was a bit of a pain because you have to thread the net on which takes quite a while, but it seems to have held up pretty well.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

xzzy posted:

http://www.cbhockey.com/acv-series-hockey-stick/acv-senior-wood-hockey-stick.html

:iiam:

I'll send 'em an email when I get a chance though, they seem pretty neat. Thanks.

Ha, I think you're right. I didn't see that; I was just looking under the custom options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I have a Sakic also and yea I shoot high as gently caress. I pass really well with it though. What is a good pattern for say a mid height shot with good passing?