Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

I roasted a chicken Thursday night and half about half the carcass left because I had other things come up that kept me away from home.

Of course I generally use the bones for stock, but what's something cool I can do with the meat? I don't really care for chicken noodle soup.

Chicken pot pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

yes posted:

I usually end up using leftover chicken to make chicken salad. Bacon, mayo, red onion, celery, roasted red pepper, parsley, lemon zest on toasted bread.

Yeah, I'm just worried that it's 3 days since I cooked it so it will probably start spoiling soon so I should go for something that requires heating it up again. Maybe that idea makes no sense.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

Yeah, I'm just worried that it's 3 days since I cooked it so it will probably start spoiling soon so I should go for something that requires heating it up again. Maybe that idea makes no sense.

If your fridge can maintain a constant temp, you're fine eating cold chicken after 3 days.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Casu Marzu posted:

Chicken pot pie

My three favorite things! OH BOY!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Solkanar512 posted:

I would kill for a proper way to do restaurant style teriyaki chicken. I love that stuff on a bad day but trolling though the net has gotten me a variety of crazy recipes. This includes using orange marmalade or cooking by boiling the chicken in the sauce to cook.

Is there a proper (or superior) method for making this style of dish? Thanks in advance!

I use store bought teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman) and add a bunch of sugar, marinate it for a couple of hours, then strain off the excess and fry it in an insanely hot wok with a little sesame oil. It's definitely guilty pleasure food, not exactly a culinary masterpiece.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The bread thread was culled and I'm not sure where to start looking for good recipes. Anyone got a good recipe for Rye bread?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
My Fry Daddy hasn't been getting enough love. I use it for donuts, falafel, and breaded cheese sticks.

I wanted to branch out and start battering everything. I started with pickles. I used this recipe and the results were awful. Instead of a light crispy fried coating, I got horribly uneven coating that was more like doughy corn dog coating than crisp fish & chips or tempura coating.

Anyone have a good batter recipe or advice?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

My Fry Daddy hasn't been getting enough love. I use it for donuts, falafel, and breaded cheese sticks.

I wanted to branch out and start battering everything. I started with pickles. I used this recipe and the results were awful. Instead of a light crispy fried coating, I got horribly uneven coating that was more like doughy corn dog coating than crisp fish & chips or tempura coating.

Anyone have a good batter recipe or advice?

Ok, try to dry most of the brine off of the pickles first. If they're too wet, your batter is going to slide off when they go in the oil. The beer batter I've used for pickles looks something like 1 cup beer, 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 corn starch, 1 tsp baking powder, salt, pepper, cayenne. The final batter should be pretty runny so adjust with more beer if you have to. Coat the dried off pickles in flour to absorb the rest of the water then dunk them in the batter and fry in hot oil (375-400F) and land on paper towels.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Solkanar512 posted:

I would kill for a proper way to do restaurant style teriyaki chicken. I love that stuff on a bad day but trolling though the net has gotten me a variety of crazy recipes. This includes using orange marmalade or cooking by boiling the chicken in the sauce to cook.

Is there a proper (or superior) method for making this style of dish? Thanks in advance!

The cooks illustrated method is easy and delicious. It calls for bone-in thighs but I've used boneless thighs and breasts both with good results.

quote:

8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 5 ounces each), trimmed, boned, and skin slashed (see illustrations below)
1/2cup soy sauce
1/2cup sugar
1/2teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2tablespoons mirin
1clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2teaspoon cornstarch

1. Position oven rack about 8 inches from heat source; heat broiler. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper; set thighs skin side up on broiler pan (or foil-lined rimmed baking sheet fitted with flat wire rack), tucking exposed meat under skin and lightly flattening thighs to be of relatively even thickness (see illustration 6). Broil until skin is crisp and golden brown and thickest parts of thighs register 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 8 to 14 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking time for even browning.
2. While chicken cooks, combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and garlic in small saucepan; stir together mirin and cornstarch in small bowl until no lumps remain, then stir mirin mixture into saucepan. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup and forms syrupy glaze, about 4 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
3. Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest 2 to 3 minutes. Cut meat crosswise into 1/2-inch- wide strips. Transfer chicken to serving platter; stir teriyaki sauce to recombine, then drizzle to taste over chicken. Serve immediately, passing remaining sauce separately.

The sauce comes out really tasty, just be sure to watch it at the end so that it doesn't burn, which is very sad. I've also used the sauce on pan-fried tilapia filets and it's equally delicious. Serve with rice and some sautéed asparagus for a great meal.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So, just tried to use a crock pot for the first time. Turns out I plugged it in to a dead socket for the past 3 hours. I had raw pork ribs and beef broth in it. It had a lid on though. Is the food any good?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I bought some dried hibiscus the other day without knowing what to do with it. I made a hibiscus-lime soda that turned out pretty good. I might try another batch, adding ginger and sichuan pepper to the mix but I've still got a bunch of hibiscus sitting around. Any suggestions on what else to do with it?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

dino. posted:

I make the lebanese kind at home, and prefer it to the traditional kind. It calls for an even split of soaked chickpeas, and soaked split peas. The chickpeas soak overnight, and the split peas soak for 2 hours. Grind the split peas down to a puree in a food processor. Remove from processor, and do the same for the chickpeas, parsley, chiles, coriander seed, and salt (all ground together at once). You can add a bit of water to help the chickpeas grind down, but go easy on the water. When you mix the split pea and chickpea/herb/spice puree together, you have enough binding to form falafel that you can deep fry. If you've added too much water (which is frequently a problem), throw in a few handfuls of pita breadcrumbs for binding.

Just checking back to say that I made this and it was really good. I didn't know what kind of chiles you meant so I used Hungarian paprika. Thanks for the suggestion.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Somebody give me a good recipe for braised oxtail. I looked around on google but there are so many lovely recipes and I don't think any of my good cookbooks have one in them.

Here's one from the archives which is in my "wikify queue":

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3111292
(you'll need archives)

I'll get it up by tonight, promise. :)

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Oxtail_Soup

and this one was already there: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Rabo_de_Toro

Don't panic if you don't have a slow cooker for the first one; you can just do it on the stove in a soup pot.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 24, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Rockzilla posted:

I bought some dried hibiscus the other day without knowing what to do with it. I made a hibiscus-lime soda that turned out pretty good. I might try another batch, adding ginger and sichuan pepper to the mix but I've still got a bunch of hibiscus sitting around. Any suggestions on what else to do with it?

Make tea with it. The best thing, though, is to candy it and then mix it into icecream.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

smiph
Jul 30, 2005

Jagshemas!

dino. posted:

:words:

That is awesome! Thank you so much for the help. :)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Rockzilla posted:

I put it with other spices in pear poaching liquid. Poach a whole peeled pear in it and then slice it- really pretty!

casual poster posted:

So, just tried to use a crock pot for the first time. Turns out I plugged it in to a dead socket for the past 3 hours. I had raw pork ribs and beef broth in it. It had a lid on though. Is the food any good?

obviously this is much later but I would have thrown it into a pot on the stove high until it reached a rolling boil for a few minutes, and then returned everything to the crock pot which had been plugged in and heating while the other stuff boiled. this would affect the temperature texture negatively, but get the surface of the meat to a bacteria killing temperature as swiftly as possible.

I am somewhat lax about "proper food handling rules" when I am cooking at home for myself though and those rules would in fact recommend tossing that food out because it is unlikely it would heat up to a proper temperature quickly enough to have spent less than four hours above 40F and under 140F.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 25, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

pile of brown posted:

obviously this is much later but I would have thrown it into a pot on the stove high until it reached a rolling boil for a few minutes, and then returned everything to the crock pot which had been plugged in and heating while the other stuff boiled. this would affect the temperature negatively, but get the surface of the meat to a bacteria killing temperature as swiftly as possible.

I am somewhat lax about "proper food handling rules" when I am cooking at home for myself though and those rules would in fact recommend tossing that food out because it is unlikely it would heat up to a proper temperature quickly enough to have spent less than four hours above 40F and under 140F.

drat. I went ahead and made it anyways just so I could get the experience under my belt (it was really easy) and I kept it in the fridge until I got a response. Good thing I didn't eat it than.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Somebody give me a good recipe for braised oxtail. I looked around on google but there are so many lovely recipes and I don't think any of my good cookbooks have one in them.

I've made this oxtail stew before and it is not bad.

I've also done beef bourguignon,but subbing oxtails in place of whatever other piece of beef used. I don't have a link handy, but I've always liked julia child's beef bourguignon.

Edit: here's julia's recipe.

MORE EDIT! This oxtail recipe looks pretty tasty. Think I'm gonna make that this week.

Because that goons with spoons wiki oxtail...thing looks pretty unappetizing. Sorry.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 24, 2011

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Me and my lady are visiting my family in CT this week and we're planning to take a day trip to Boston tomorrow because neither of us have been. The only full meal we'll be there for is lunch - any suggestions? Any cuisine is fine, we'd prefer something not terribly expensive, more mid-range or cheaper.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Where can I find dry onion soup mix in the grocery store? I went to 2 different places and didn't find any. I tried the soup and spice aisle, nothing. Any substitutes I can use?

Or, hell, does anyone just have a easy pot roast recipe I could use with a slow cooker? I'm just trying to get some meals under my belt.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Last night I took a piece of chuck out of the fridge to warm up and noticed that the butcher's "seal-a-meal" type seal on the plastic was partially torn along the seal.
I opened it the rest of the way and smelled it and it smelled exactly like aged cheddar cheese. It wasn't slimy at all, the color was nice, and the smell didn't set off any gag reflex like bad meat always does with me.

- Was it salvageable? I put it in the freezer to dispose of later, so it's probably beyond help now, but I'm curious. I thought about just trimming off the outside like you might do with aged beef, but I would have then had about a 3/4 lb. sub-par piece of steak that I was worried about.

- Why did it smell exactly like aged cheddar? Do I need to douche out my fridge?

casual poster posted:

Where can I find dry onion soup mix in the grocery store? I went to 2 different places and didn't find any. I tried the soup and spice aisle, nothing. Any substitutes I can use?

Or, hell, does anyone just have a easy pot roast recipe I could use with a slow cooker? I'm just trying to get some meals under my belt.

You actually don't want dry onion soup mix for any reason and any recipe that calls for it should be discarded. All it is (flavorwise) is dried onion, onion powder, salt (and/or msg), and some beef stock flavor.
A good pot roast that had the same kind of flavors would be something like:

a big chuck roast that will fit in your crock pot
an onion (yellow, I guess)
5 shakes of onion salt
5 shakes of onion powder
a few splashes of worcestershire
some wine
some mushrooms
some garlic
some butter
some flour
some beef stock (or broth)

Dry the beef off and then coat it with a bunch of salt and pepper and let it get to room temperature.
*Sear the beef in a big heavy pan with some oil, bacon grease, or butter.*
Chop the onion up and brown it some in the pan you browned (or are browning, if there's room) the roast in. You can do the same with some mushrooms if you want.
Cover one side of the roast with flour, dump it upside-down into the pot and cover the other side with flower.
†Throw some whole cloves of garlic in the crock pot.
Splash a few glugs of wine, some worcestershire, and some beef broth into the pan with the onions and dump that whole mess onto the roast.

Cook it on low for 8 hours or so. You could add some little potatoes and carrots halfway through.

* instead you could brown it in a pan at the highest setting of your oven/broiler
† You need to get them out of their paper, either before or after cooking. What I do sometimes is throw an entire bulb of garlic in the pot and when I am serving the stew I cut the top off it and then squeeze the delicious garlic paste out of it as a garnish.

vvv edit vvv
A little water and a bay leaf; yes.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2011

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

casual poster posted:

The onion soup mix should be in the soup section... Good news is that you don't need it.

Basic Pot Roast (from memory)
2-5 lbs cheap cut of beef
1-2 onions, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
1-2 celery stalks, chopped
Some garlic
Bay leaf
Red wine (optional)

Remove any huge fat chunks from the meat. Don't clean it up too much, you want some fat. Salt it on all sides.

Add oil to a pan and sear the beef on all sides, put it in the slow cooker.
Saute the onions for a few minutes
Add the carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute all this stuff until onions are golden.
Put all that into the slow cooker.
Add a couple cups of water and a splash of wine to slow cooker
Add bay leaf to slow cooker

Cook on low until the meat is falling apart. You can strain the juice and make it into gravy or au jus if you want.

My mom likes to add potatoes to the cooker towards the end, but I don't like the way they come out. I just make baked potatoes seperately if I want them. She also uses big pieces of carrot that she serves with the meat. Yuck in my opinion, but YMMV.

You can modify this recipe in a zillion ways -- add mushrooms, add green/red peppers, add spicy stuff, etc.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 24, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

taqueso posted:

Awesome, thanks alot. I'll make this tonight and let you know how it goes. Btw, about how long should it take for the meat to fall apart? When I made pulled pork last night it took 4 hours on a high setting. I'm guessing maybe 6-8 for this? The reason I ask is because most likely I'll be asleep while making this.

EDIT: While reading some more recipes online I noticed that some of them want you to add soda to the mix? Does this actually taste good?

casual poster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 24, 2011

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

casual poster posted:

Awesome, thanks alot. I'll make this tonight and let you know how it goes. Btw, about how long should it take for the meat to fall apart? When I made pulled pork last night it took 4 hours on a high setting. I'm guessing maybe 6-8 for this? The reason I ask is because most likely I'll be asleep while making this.

Ya, 6-8 or so. It depends how big the piece of meat is. If it goes too long, the gelatin that is created by slow cooking will break down and the meat will fall apart but it will be really dry.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Midniter posted:

Me and my lady are visiting my family in CT this week and we're planning to take a day trip to Boston tomorrow because neither of us have been. The only full meal we'll be there for is lunch - any suggestions? Any cuisine is fine, we'd prefer something not terribly expensive, more mid-range or cheaper.
Generally you'll find Asian food to be your cheapest option in the area. If you're taking the T around (and you should be, driving in Boston is dangerous and terrifying), go to Chinatown and eat at a Vietnamese place. Bowl of pho the size of a spare tire for under $10. The Chinese places can be hit or miss, but if you go someplace where you see a lot of Asian people it'll probably be good.

Otherwise, lunch at a North End Italian eatery should be reasonable, but the better places aren't always near the T.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

casual poster posted:

EDIT: While reading some more recipes online I noticed that some of them want you to add soda to the mix? Does this actually taste good?

It adds sugar (sweetness) and the carbonic acid seems to have a tenderizing effect on the meat. It's not necessary but some folks like it and hey, experimenting in the kitchen is half the fun.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Does anyone have a nice, light vanilla cupcake batter recipe to share? I would like something that someone has tested/used than something from a random recipe collection page.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like these

Otherwise, if you want really, really light cupcakes, make chiffon cupcakes. They're gonna be the most airy, light cupcakes you're gonna get.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

casual poster posted:

Soda as in baking soda or soda-pop? I wouldn't add either, but I can see cola adding some sweetness and tang. If you are just trying to get recipes under your belt, don't go there.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay, this is probably a stupid question.

I want to make Schweinehaxe, but literally none of the stores in town carry pork shanks. I did find one place that sells whole pig's legs, though, so I would need to removed the hock and the foot on my own.

Will I need a cleaver or saw to break this thing down? The largest knife I own is a santoku.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Okay, this is probably a stupid question.

I want to make Schweinehaxe, but literally none of the stores in town carry pork shanks. I did find one place that sells whole pig's legs, though, so I would need to removed the hock and the foot on my own.

Will I need a cleaver or saw to break this thing down? The largest knife I own is a santoku.

A good saw, at minimum. Hacking away with a cleaver, should you find one up to the task, is going to result in bone shards up the rear end. I would suggest bribing a butcher and asking them to cut the hocks and foot from your whole leg. They have band-saws (or whatever they're called; never took shop class, dontcha know) that can pop off the hock and foot quickly and easily. I mean, a new hacksaw blade on your home hacksaw can do the job...but drat that's a lot of hard sawing on a really heavy and unwieldy slab of meat.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Requesting a rice pudding recipe. The last remaining guy from the warehouse that got outsourced is leaving October 31st and has been mentioning rice pudding recently.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got a duck! I don't know how to make duck. I know how to roast a chicken, and I know I'm supposed to poke the duck all over and save all of its fat for delicious french fries and such. I read all over the internet and they said that it takes a couple hours in the oven for all of the fat to render out - how do you keep the meat juicy? Any recommendations for cooking times/temps/spices? I have roughly a four pound duck.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

I like turtles posted:

Requesting a rice pudding recipe. The last remaining guy from the warehouse that got outsourced is leaving October 31st and has been mentioning rice pudding recently.

Like, what kind of rice pudding? Western style dessert-like stuff or an Asian style rice porridge?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

taqueso posted:

Soda as in baking soda or soda-pop? I wouldn't add either, but I can see cola adding some sweetness and tang. If you are just trying to get recipes under your belt, don't go there.

I'm actually just trying to see how far I can push my crock pot, not to good at cooking in general though. So, when making a pot roast, do I just throw a 3lb slab of meat in the pot, or cut it somehow?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
A quick question about cookware. Are nonstick pots and pans usable after they've had something burned to the surface? I was making grilled cheese and some cheese got burned to the surface the burned stuff stained the surface black and now my roommate is going bonkers claiming the pan is hosed and has to be thrown out.

e: Also he claims butter left out a room temp will go bad in a matter of days, is this true? I ask this one for confirmations sake as I've left it out plenty of times before for a couple weeks with nothing bad happening.

2nd e: Can you use stuff like bleach/ammonia to clean cookware? (Not at the same time I know, unpleasant chemical reactions.)

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 25, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

casual poster posted:

I'm actually just trying to see how far I can push my crock pot, not to good at cooking in general though. So, when making a pot roast, do I just throw a 3lb slab of meat in the pot, or cut it somehow?

From earlier on this same page:

taqueso posted:

The onion soup mix should be in the soup section... Good news is that you don't need it.

Basic Pot Roast (from memory)
2-5 lbs cheap cut of beef
1-2 onions, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
1-2 celery stalks, chopped
Some garlic
Bay leaf
Red wine (optional)

Remove any huge fat chunks from the meat. Don't clean it up too much, you want some fat. Salt it on all sides.

Add oil to a pan and sear the beef on all sides, put it in the slow cooker.
Saute the onions for a few minutes
Add the carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute all this stuff until onions are golden.
Put all that into the slow cooker.
Add a couple cups of water and a splash of wine to slow cooker
Add bay leaf to slow cooker

Cook on low until the meat is falling apart. You can strain the juice and make it into gravy or au jus if you want.

My mom likes to add potatoes to the cooker towards the end, but I don't like the way they come out. I just make baked potatoes seperately if I want them. She also uses big pieces of carrot that she serves with the meat. Yuck in my opinion, but YMMV.

You can modify this recipe in a zillion ways -- add mushrooms, add green/red peppers, add spicy stuff, etc.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Any ideas on how to make a Red Velvet fondue, like this http://www.yelp.com/user_local_photos?userid=CAXhQLhnit8_aG5s6mRoZA&select=5D6qzTlM9fyStB7rrXMMhw ?

I was thinking a white chocolate fondue plus red food coloring but there's probably a better way to do it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Casu Marzu posted:

From earlier on this same page:

Yeah your right, that was on this same page. I asked if I just throw the 3 lb chunk of meat into the slow cooker or do I cut it? Should I cut it into quarters, or would it cook fine just in one big chunk?

EDIT: Ended up cutting it in 4 slabs, figured (in my limited knowledge) that it takes longer for a big mass to heat up so it'd probably be better to go the other way. Thanks for the help tonight.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You're fine cooking it in just one big chunk. You're also fine cooking it in quarters. Or even smaller pieces.