Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I was working in Dallas as a 17 year old mailroom guy at GodGames back in 2000, and we'd go to parties, and Romero would be there, and he was a very cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

piratepilates posted:

Thanks, this was quite informative. I'm actually taking a networking class and a 3D graphics course right now and on the waitlist for a video game design course next semester (it's utoronto so it shouldn't be ITT Tech level filler), should I just put some select courses that apply to game development on my resume when I apply around and bring it up in the interview?

And my plan is to make some side project demos with basic OpenGL and C++ but I don't know quite how much they'd expect, am I ok with just some basic stuff that shows I understand graphics APIs and the rendering pipeline/3D math or do I need to have some really impressive stuff?

And since you worked at Ubisoft Montreal (I heard a bunch fo the staff from Montreal moved to the Toronto studio when it opened, in case you know anybody), what's the environment like? I've heard the horror stories about some EA studios (I wouldn't mind taking some overtime when needed but that just seems like a bad work environment), is Ubisoft going to be anything like that?

This was a little while ago, but...

Putting some of the courses you're going to take but haven't yet isn't a bad idea, assuming it's not all you have on your resume. It's not as useful as having courses you've actually taken since they can't really ask technical questions in an interview then, but it might help you get an interview in the first place. Just remember that the game industry tends to value practical knowledge above all, so it's mostly a way to make sure HR doesn't drop your resume in the shredder immediately.

For demos, having some really eye-catching stuff can be nice, but I think the real goal is showing you can put something together and that the piece of paper you got when you finished college isn't all you have. If you can say you picked up a book, or some papers, and actually implemented some of the stuff they described, then you're already a step above a whole bunch of CS graduates. The C++ questions they'll ask you will probably be there to make sure you understand what's really going on and aren't just barfing slightly modified versions of code examples you've seen.

As for the work environment, if you don't like overtime you're in the wrong industry. There will be crunch times at the end of projects. You will work overtime or you will not work on video games at all. That aside, in general the environment is pretty laid back. It depends on the people you end up working with, just like anywhere else, but you shouldn't expect cubicles and strict hierarchies 10 levels deep as in other software development jobs. Just realize that the life-cycle of games is different from that of other software, and there will be hard deadlines where something has to ship, and something will ship.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Anyone worked with this company before? I can't seem to find a catch (besides it being QA shitwork) and there's gotta be something wrong with them if they're charging $20 an hour looking for testers (I'm lucky to qualify for a job that's $12 an hour around here, cost of living is pretty low).

http://www.jobhost.org/jobs/viewjob/ft-game-testers-2211796ea9016a75?source=indeed&medium=organic

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So does being locked behind NDAs concerning a project when you want to shout about it to the heavens drive anyone else mad, 'cause hot drat, I'm feelin' a little cray-zay at this point.

Also, from a bit back in the thread:

Shalinor posted:

... and every time I think about that, I wonder if the bizarre skirt blow-up et al games that come out of Japan somehow seem less offensive in their cultural frame, or if mis-translation is making them seem creepier than they are, or what.

Really going into this would require, like, a multipost essay, but the super-too-simplified TLDR is: yes, it isn't perceived with quite the same weight. Like, a lot of the "sexual" stuff you see in some of the games and a lot of the promotional materials or pre-order bonuses is still frowned upon by "society at large", but it's far more of a :rolleyes: reaction as opposed to the gut-clenching :gonk: it gets from many westerners. And then you get things like the "onsen"/hot springs scenes in a lot of works... which can seem ludicrously gratuitous to most westerners, but in a lot of cases literally doesn't register with Japanese at all, simply because it's an Actual Thing That Happens in their eyes. Friends will, in fact, hang out in a hot natural bath together, nearly naked or entirely naked, like it ain't no thang. Hell, parents and small children bathing together, nude, is A Thing that most Japanese see as perfectly natural and, contrariwise, the :byodood: reaction that concept gets from some westerners weirds the Japanese out.

So, yeah, it's funny. On some level, the walls between cultures really aren't as high as a lot of people think 'cause ultimately we're all human... but at the same time, the details can be way, way different.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

SpaceDrake posted:

So does being locked behind NDAs concerning a project when you want to shout about it to the heavens drive anyone else mad, 'cause hot drat, I'm feelin' a little cray-zay at this point.

God, tell me about it. I feel like that poor barber in the King Midas myth sometimes.

Funny enough, the one company that is super-liberal about NDAs I haven't had the time to make a thread about all the awesome stuff coming out because I haven't had the time. I'm really jazzed for it, too.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
So I've got some general game industry rants built up inside me, but I literally don't have time to type it all out.

So let me say one thing; If you are going to be a publisher producer, please for the love of god work through at least one cycle of a game on a dev team first, PLEASE.

Also I'd like to share this gem a fan posted on our facebook page:

"what if you could pick up rocks and throw them at the enemy when you're out of ammo???"

Sigh.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I'm so nervous, have my phone interview with Riot in about 2 hours and I really REALLY want this job. I can't overthink it though... I'm usually a very good interviewee (comes from having to hire people, and being the interviewer I guess) but I've never been so close to what I'd consider a "dream job"

Ugggh!!!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fizzle posted:

I'm so nervous, have my phone interview with Riot in about 2 hours and I really REALLY want this job. I can't overthink it though... I'm usually a very good interviewee (comes from having to hire people, and being the interviewer I guess) but I've never been so close to what I'd consider a "dream job"

Ugggh!!!

I want you to stop, sit down, and write down on a sheet of paper 5-10 questions that will help you ensure this is your dream job.

Then I want you to sit down and re-write, by hand, your resume.

Then write down more questions to ask regarding your "dream job."

The manual act of writing (versus typing) helps memory and can be meditative, as well. Do this away from your computer desk, in a comfortable area.

Also, drink a single beer now :) This might be the alcoholic in me talking, though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Nagna Zul posted:

Did anyone catch this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsT9xxTU2r8

I'm pretty happy to finally be able to tell people what I'm working on. Look at it, it rocks!

You at Beenox?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone at High Moon/Know about High Moon that wants to PM me? I have a friend applying there and wanted to get some insight into the studio.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

When I had a phone interview, I imagined I was in the middle of making a level and let the inner warmth speak for me. It worked out pretty well, made me relaxed :)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone have some good articles on data/usage tracking for tools? We're exploring implementing this into our tools pipeline, specifically Maya. I know there has to be a bunch of great articles out there on the subject, I just don't know where to look.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Stanos posted:

Anyone worked with this company before? I can't seem to find a catch (besides it being QA shitwork) and there's gotta be something wrong with them if they're charging $20 an hour looking for testers (I'm lucky to qualify for a job that's $12 an hour around here, cost of living is pretty low).

http://www.jobhost.org/jobs/viewjob/ft-game-testers-2211796ea9016a75?source=indeed&medium=organic

They are doing that here in Cali as well. Something tells me it's a bit fishy. I got an email back from them saying they want people to "review" their stuff. At first I thought review as in game reviews (which I would've politely decline) but they send me three links of games. Also in the email they gave me three questions. The questions were generic like what do you like about the game, what would you change.. blah blah.

I haven't heard from them. But yeah, even I raised an eyebrow when the pay was like 25 bucks. 25 bucks an hour for QA.. Yeah no way in hell.

So unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you. I'll update you if I do get an email back from them at all.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
Just got off the phone. They were interviewing for a position where they don't know what the responsibilities are going to be, or what it's going to bring to the company. Most of the questions were geared towards what I felt the position was and asking what I feel the benefit of the position would be for Riot, so I'm weary they're even going to hire anyone. I actually feel like I kinda interviewed for a thought. We'll see

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Shindragon posted:

They are doing that here in Cali as well. Something tells me it's a bit fishy. I got an email back from them saying they want people to "review" their stuff. At first I thought review as in game reviews (which I would've politely decline) but they send me three links of games. Also in the email they gave me three questions. The questions were generic like what do you like about the game, what would you change.. blah blah.

I haven't heard from them. But yeah, even I raised an eyebrow when the pay was like 25 bucks. 25 bucks an hour for QA.. Yeah no way in hell.

So unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you. I'll update you if I do get an email back from them at all.

There is no way they are paying that much. That being said, please let me know what you find out, haha.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I guess I've landed back on the outskirts of gaming. I'm doing publisher/studio relations for a game monetization and payment option company. Spent all day today on the phone with one of the larger DD platforms we just launched in Europe. Fun times so far, already getting ready for GDC next year.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

Odddzy posted:

You at Beenox?

Yep, I've worked there for about 9 months now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there any worthwhile documentation out there about creating game test plans?

Rejection from Relentless today, really no idea what I could have done better.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Fizzle posted:

Just got off the phone. They were interviewing for a position where they don't know what the responsibilities are going to be, or what it's going to bring to the company. Most of the questions were geared towards what I felt the position was and asking what I feel the benefit of the position would be for Riot, so I'm weary they're even going to hire anyone. I actually feel like I kinda interviewed for a thought. We'll see
Dude, you gotta sell them on you being you. You gotta sell them the idea that LAN centers in America are a possibility, that kids want to play LoL publicly with their buds in a college game room. You gotta want them to want you.

I've sold people things in brick and mortar stores, and I didn't even work in those stores. It's just something you learn: how to dole out advice and expertise and make it sound like the other guy is coming to amazing conclusions all on their own.

M4rk fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 25, 2011

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

SpaceDrake posted:

It's pretty normal. I'd suggest writing as a way to get the 'I must vent' out of your system - just open up Word and start writing about all the cool stuff. It gets even more fun when you can talk about half the stuff you're doing and the other half is NDA-locked, so you have to keep these separate compartments of 'I can talk about this' and 'I can't talk about that' going at all times.

I will say this, though - when you do get to share your stuff with the world, it's that much sweeter for all the waiting.

The Pink Ninja
Sep 19, 2006

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I'm applying to Game Design/Dev Masters programs. Anyone here have advice/experience with any of these places: Southern Methodist University (Guildhall), USC Interactive, Carnegie Mellon Entertainment Technology Center, Georgia Tech, Vancouver Film School, University of California Santa Cruz Digital Arts & New Media (Playable Media)

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm in the process of moving to San Francisco and I was shocked not only at the number of tech jobs available but the number revolving around video games. I blasted resumes off to Sony, IGN, Gameloft and another developer whose name escapes me. I'm a journalist with experience in social media and web management so fingers crossed, wish me luck.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
San Fran's a great place to get a job, but I hope you like long BART rides because good friggin' luck finding somewhere reasonable to live anywhere around the bay. Might as well just find somewhere in San Jose, they've got tons of cheap apartments and it's only a few bucks and an hour's time to get to downtown SF if you're BART-convenient.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

GetWellGamers posted:

San Fran's a great place to get a job, but I hope you like long BART rides because good friggin' luck finding somewhere reasonable to live anywhere around the bay. Might as well just find somewhere in San Jose, they've got tons of cheap apartments and it's only a few bucks and an hour's time to get to downtown SF if you're BART-convenient.
Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to ask people for information about safe, affordable apartments around SF and Seattle, close to safe public transportation (buses in Jacksonville aren't safe) or with the ability to bike into downtown within a reasonable amount of time (an hour or less).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are phone interviews the norm for QA positions these days? I have one tomorrow morning and I'm a bit nervous. It's my first interview in over a year, so I've been spending a lot of time just preparing questions and getting my facts right.

Any pointers from someone whose been there or actually interviews people?

Edit: I did read the mainly about games blog post in the OP and it did help out a whole lot.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

M4rk posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to ask people for information about safe, affordable apartments around SF and Seattle, close to safe public transportation (buses in Jacksonville aren't safe) or with the ability to bike into downtown within a reasonable amount of time (an hour or less).

Buses in Western Washington tend to be reasonably safe (given lines in given areas may or may not be, I wouldn't advise riding the bus through White Center/Georgetown/Spanaway/whatever but Generic Bedroom Community is probably fine), however the bigger problem is that mass transit isn't particularly prevalent. You will more likely than not end up needing a car. Parts of the Seattle area might have bus transportation that suits your needs, but the likelihood is pretty small that you'll be able to find an otherwise suitable apartment that is also on a bus line that gets you where you need to be in less than a couple hours, and at the time you need to be there, and gets you home again at the end of the day.

Affordable is another problem. Assume about ~$800-1000 for a one-bedroom apartment in good condition in a pretty-good neighborhood.

I know nothing at all about SF, can't help you there.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

hailthefish posted:

Buses in Western Washington tend to be reasonably safe (given lines in given areas may or may not be, I wouldn't advise riding the bus through White Center/Georgetown/Spanaway/whatever but Generic Bedroom Community is probably fine), however the bigger problem is that mass transit isn't particularly prevalent. You will more likely than not end up needing a car. Parts of the Seattle area might have bus transportation that suits your needs, but the likelihood is pretty small that you'll be able to find an otherwise suitable apartment that is also on a bus line that gets you where you need to be in less than a couple hours, and at the time you need to be there, and gets you home again at the end of the day.

Affordable is another problem. Assume about ~$800-1000 for a one-bedroom apartment in good condition in a pretty-good neighborhood.

I know nothing at all about SF, can't help you there.
Cool, thanks for the advice! Most of the opportunities I'm interested in are on the west side of Seattle, in one of the 'burbs.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I will say this, SF for apartments: Yeah don't. It's a city, it tends to be expensive in SF.

San Jose is more cheaper.

I"m lucky I live in the bay area as well, so many video game companies. It's kinda nice that I wont' have to move for my career. :)

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
edit: I had a question. It was ill conceived.

Pimblor fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 25, 2011

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

hailthefish posted:

A lot of the gaming jobs are in Bellevue though, and the transportation and price situation are both a little easier on the east side.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006

M4rk posted:

Dude, you gotta sell them on you being you. You gotta sell them the idea that LAN centers in America are a possibility, that kids want to play LoL publicly with their buds in a college game room. You gotta want them to want you.

I've sold people things in brick and mortar stores, and I didn't even work in those stores. It's just something you learn: how to dole out advice and expertise and make it sound like the other guy is coming to amazing conclusions all on their own.

Oh I know.. I sold myself quite well, but they seem like they don't know if they want the position. I almost felt like Tamat was interviewing me for a position he felt was unnecessary. Which made it a little less than a fun interview.

I sent my thank you email already, and I'm going to send a follow up email in a week or so just going over what I feel like I can bring to the company.. So we'll see

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

M4rk posted:

The caltrain from anywhere south of San Fran is a breeze to ride. I live in San Mateo and even though I havent been to San Fran yet I have ridden the Caltrain and it is pretty drat quick.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Jimbot posted:

Are phone interviews the norm for QA positions these days? I have one tomorrow morning and I'm a bit nervous. It's my first interview in over a year, so I've been spending a lot of time just preparing questions and getting my facts right.

Any pointers from someone whose been there or actually interviews people?

Edit: I did read the mainly about games blog post in the OP and it did help out a whole lot.

Phone interviews are pretty standard, assuming you're applying for a bottom of the ladder QA job. They do those to weed out the people who obviously wont fit and then they'll tell you to come in for a followup or just offer you the job.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

GeauxSteve posted:

Phone interviews are pretty standard, assuming you're applying for a bottom of the ladder QA job. They do those to weed out the people who obviously wont fit and then they'll tell you to come in for a followup or just offer you the job.

Gotcha. I figured that was the case.

Anyway, I just finished up said interview not too long ago. I was a pack of nerves and repeated myself a couple of times, but I think I did a good job explaining how I knew the QA process went and wasn't some Westwood College, pie-in-the-sky person. Here's hoping I get asked to come in for a follow up.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
So I just got an email from someone who had seen my portfolio site, asking if I wanted to join the team at 101GamingStudios.

http://101gamingstudios.weebly.com/the-team.html

I dunno guys i think i done hit da goldmine here.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aliginge posted:

So I just got an email from someone who had seen my portfolio site, asking if I wanted to join the team at 101GamingStudios.

YEEEEES, application sent!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Whole bunch of highschoolers visiting today, I feel super cool.

EDIT: I feel this every day, but today its a little more super.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Aliginge posted:

quote:

Anyways, here are the jobs we need.

Programmer ( Putting the game together )
If only more companies were so honest with their job descriptions.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aliginge posted:

Hehehehe. It's like they're Counter-Strike avatars come to life! Terrorists vs Counter-Terrorists:

... and where did this boy's neck go

OH GOD IT WAS STOLEN

Ahem. Anywho. Who knows, they might make a fine game, but 8 random people with no experience, lead by a non-technical designer, with one programmer and 7 creatives? Not the greatest of team balances :/

EDIT: It looks like I'll be presenting to a class of computer scientists at my alma mater. They're understandably interested in games dev, etc. Aside from the usual "WORK ON YOUR PORTFOLIOS!", can anyone think of things I should really go over?

... oh, and the best part. I'm a dropout from their CS program. I went back later and got a degree in Mathematics. Should make for an entertaining ice breaker :v:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

It looks like the first guy is just driving this as a vehicle to live out his personal military fantasies, and he's convinced his classmates from junior high to help out.