Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Space_Butler posted:

So starting with Horrible Bosses and Green Lantern, it looks like the digital copies in Warner blu-ray's are going to be UltraViolet digital copies instead of iTunes-redeemable ones.

How does this benefit anyone, at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, I saw an ad for horrible bosses on TV today that specifically called out the "Ultraviolet digital version" being included.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Yeah, I saw an ad for horrible bosses on TV today that specifically called out the "Ultraviolet digital version" being included.

Yeah, and I saw the Green Lantern one on TV. They take like 2 minutes of ad time to explain how AWESOME the ultraviolet is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

What does that even mean? Is it a new DRM or just a weird file format?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I was getting really confused there for a minute. "Why would Green Lantern come with a digital copy of [the awful Milla Jovovich movie] Ultraviolet?"

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Skwirl posted:

What does that even mean? Is it a new DRM or just a weird file format?

It's some sort of Dvd/Blu Ray streaming service or whatever.

http://www.uvvu.com/

Sounds like iTunes/Steam but for film and TV shows.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
You get a streaming copy that is only guaranteed to be available to you for 1 year, and a downloadable copy that requires a special Adobe AIR App and, unlike the streaming version, can't be viewed on/synced to iOS or Android devices.

In Warner Bros's case, for the streaming copy you then have to go over to flixster.com and make an account there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And then at the Gates of Sorrow ye shall face three challenges. If thou succeeds, thy quest toward the realm of "I don't loving use these things anyways" will be nearly at it's end.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

And then at the Gates of Sorrow ye shall face three challenges. If thou succeeds, thy quest toward the realm of "I don't loving use these things anyways" will be nearly at it's end.

You know, I have like thirty DVDs/Digital Copies, and a bunch of my friends have the same issue, and no one I know uses them. The DVDs are at least good if I want to loan a movie out to a friend who doesn't have a BluRay player. I'm curious what most CD goons do with them, if they use them at all.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I have my iPad loaded with digital copies of movies, and it is lovely on long flights.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Tree Of Life is down to $22.99 on Amazon. It also comes with $5 in VOD credit and a free rental of it from Amazon Instant Video

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005HV6Y5W

back up to $24.99

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 16, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This one dropped to $18.99

Sporadic posted:

Jet Li's Dragon Dynasty Triple Feature dropped down to $22.49 $18.99 on Amazon. It ships October 11th.

$7.50 $6.33 each for Fist Of Legend, Fong Sai Yuk and Tai Chi Master.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005KK2FZI

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

This one dropped to $18.99
Dangit! I just bought Fong Sai Yuk for $5 on ebay earlier today. :mad:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver on West Side Story

Not crazy about the film, but that is an amazing transfer.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wrong thread. Look how crystal clear my stupidity is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Pee-wee's Big Adventure is the greatest masterpiece in cinema history. Every frame is solid gold.

To see this film is to stare into the nexus of all that is art.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Egbert Souse posted:

DVD Beaver on West Side Story

Not crazy about the film, but that is an amazing transfer.

Grain's natural and the high-contrast Technicolor is just fantastic. Just look at that shot of Natalie Wood through the ladder - she's absolutely luminous in all that inky black.

Shadley Puffin fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 21, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I just picked up a copy of Clone Wars season three, and was a little sad the case didn't follow the book format. It doesn't really matter, I just enjoyed the style of the design and the mini art books that came with them. I wonder how the Blu forum spergs are taking it.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Kingtheninja posted:

So I just picked up a copy of Clone Wars season three, and was a little sad the case didn't follow the book format. It doesn't really matter, I just enjoyed the style of the design and the mini art books that came with them. I wonder how the Blu forum spergs are taking it.

Blu-Ray.com is flipping their poo poo. Some are selling their old copies of Seasons 1 & 2 (as apparently they've been/will be re-released in standard cases), some are refusing to buy any future seasons, some are refusing to buy any WB releases ever again, it's the normal response.

For similar fun, check out the Jurassic Park post on that site. Or don't. (I just wanted to see the Best Buy exclusive steelbook...)

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

ApexAftermath posted:

Do believe I will have to pick that up. Haven't seen it yet but just based on what I know I think I will enjoy it. Nice that they did the BR+DVD with this one.

Worth picking up on BR for the visuals alone. The film itself is love-it-or-hate-it, but even if you end up hating it, you have a disc full of beautiful pictures that look fantastic in high-def.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
If anyone here picks up the Pulp Fiction blu-ray, please let us know about the slipcover they mentioned in the blu-ray.com review.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Eight Is Legend posted:

If anyone here picks up the Pulp Fiction blu-ray, please let us know about the slipcover they mentioned in the blu-ray.com review.

It's made to look aged.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Eight is Legend posted:

Look up a picture of the sleeve for the BD of The Venture Bros.: Season 3.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Shining is only $7.99 on Amazon with a free VOD rental of the movie. (but seriously you should already have this one)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B000UJ48WC

Legend is the lightning deal for the next two hours and twenty minutes at Amazon.

$13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004QSQML8

That's the cheapest it has been and the Blu-Ray has both the theatrical and director's cut.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 22, 2011

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection (DVD) is $52.49 and comes with a bunch of stuff like:
All-new bonus disc showcases Hitchcock's films, career and legacy.
Ultra-premium velvet packaging
36-page collectible book
14 documentaries and 9 featurettes

http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchc...Z95NMPA3GBNQP71

If I had the extra money I would nab this in a heartbeat. Fourteen amazing Hitchcock films for $50.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blu-Ray.com posted their review of the upcoming Tom And Jerry boxset.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tom-and-Jerry-The-Golden-Collection-Volume-One-Blu-ray/25825/#Review

Looks good.

SyRauk posted:

Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection (DVD)

DVD :negative:

I wish Universal would get off their rear end and release more Hitchcock on Blu-Ray. I guess the sales of Psycho weren't great.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 23, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I wish they would too, most of the DVD transfers in that collection are really sub-par (also the "velvet" case is a dust magnet).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wish they would too, most of the DVD transfers in that collection are really sub-par (also the "velvet" case is a dust magnet).

They're not all bad. Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, and Rear Window are almost perfect for DVD encodes. Vertigo, The Birds, and Frenzy all look great too. Only The Man Who Knew Too Much stands out as terrible quality for some inexplicable reason.

Still, Blus of Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Birds are inevitable.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Anyone know of deals on Attack the Block?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Zombi 2 (or Zombie) comes out today and it dropped down to $18.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005CU5OEU

Blue Underground went to bat for this release.

quote:

Blue Underground is proud to present ZOMBIE in a new 2K High Definition transfer from the original uncut and uncensored camera negative. Each flesh-eating frame has been lovingly restored to skull-rotting perfection under the supervision of Cinematographer Sergio Salvati (THE BEYOND). Now fully-loaded with hours of brand new Extras, this is the Ultimate Edition of ZOMBIE!

Disc 1 Extras:

- Audio Commentary with Star Ian McCulloch and Diabolik Magazine Editor Jason J. Slater
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Poster & Still Gallery
- Guillermo del Toro Intro

Disc 2 Extras:
- Zombie Wasteland - Interviews with Stars Ian McCulloch, Richard Johnson & Al Cliver, and Actor/Stuntman Ottaviano Dell'Acqua
- Flesh Eaters on Film - Interview with Co-Producer Fabrizio De Angelis
- Deadtime Stories - Interviews with Co-Writers Elisa Briganti and (Uncredited) Dardano Sacchetti
- World of the Dead - Interviews with Cinematographer Sergio Salvati and Production & Costume Designer Walter Patriarca
- Zombi Italiano - Interviews with Special Make-Up Effects Artists Gianetto De Rossi & Maurizio Trani and Special Effects Artist Gino De Rossi
- Notes on a Headstone - Interview with Composer Fabio Frizzi
- All in the Family - Interview with Antonella Fulci
- Zombie Lover - Award-Winning Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro talks about one of his favorite films

---------

fenix down posted:

Anyone know of deals on Attack the Block?

I can't find any but deals on preorders are rare (depending on the studio and Sony's stranger titles hold their price for awhile)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com has a review for MoC's Touch of Evil

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Eureka Entertainment's Blu-ray release of Orson Welles's Touch of Evil contains five versions of the film, all encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted 1080p transfers.

:drat:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Blu-ray.com posted:

Region B (locked)

D:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

D:

It's hinted that Universal will release their own US edition within the next year. The MoC is pretty much a direct port of the 2-disc DVD from 2008 except for the booklet and inclusion of 4x3 versions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread to put this in, but it didn't seem to warrant its own thread. Apparently Warner Bros. is going to stop producing Harry Potter DVD/blus.

Link

quote:

Burbank, CA – October 24, 2011 – Harry Potter, the #1 motion picture franchise of all time, will soon disappear from shelves, as Warner Bros. stops shipping all Harry Potter theatrical film titles (including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows™ – Part 2, and Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection) as of December 29, 2011 (moratorium does not include digital – Electronic Sell-Through & VOD – or games). The Harry Potter franchise has grossed more than $12.1 billion for Warner Bros. Entertainment – with $7 billion at the worldwide box office for Warner Bros. Pictures and $5.1 billion for Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

I really hope Disney's retarded vault policy doesn't spread. I'm still not entirely sure why the hell they do this, aside from creating some weird artificial demand for it some years down the line, but I suppose money is as good as any reason for Hollywood to do its thing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread to put this in, but it didn't seem to warrant its own thread. Apparently Warner Bros. is going to stop producing Harry Potter DVD/blus.

Link

I really hope Disney's retarded vault policy doesn't spread. I'm still not entirely sure why the hell they do this, aside from creating some weird artificial demand for it some years down the line, but I suppose money is as good as any reason for Hollywood to do its thing.

Are they still going to do an Ultimate Collector's edition for DH part 1/2?

I've got the other 6, please don't tell me they're gonna stop that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They're reissuing the entire series next year. I've held off the Blus for the specific reason of waiting for a complete set.

I can't imagine why this would be a problem for anyone. The plain wrap editions are cheap and the complete ultimate box will probably hover around $80 on sale.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 26, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Evil Dead dropped to $7.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003IY48PS

If you are a big fan of extras, I'm pretty sure this version doesn't come with the DVD that was in the original "Limited Edition" release.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sporadic posted:

The Evil Dead dropped to $7.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003IY48PS

If you are a big fan of extras, I'm pretty sure this version doesn't come with the DVD that was in the original "Limited Edition" release.

So many of the Blu-rays that come out now lack the features of their earlier DVD counterparts. Is this a licensing thing? The way disk sales are now are they actually still expecting a successful doubledip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo Rasa posted:

So many of the Blu-rays that come out now lack the features of their earlier DVD counterparts. Is this a licensing thing? The way disk sales are now are they actually still expecting a successful doubledip?

It depends but this wasn't a licensing thing. The first run of Evil Dead Blu-Rays had the DVD with extras in the case. I don't know what their logic was for removing the DVD from later pressings. You think it would be cheap enough to keep it in.

Blu-Ray.com posted:

When Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead was released on Blu-ray , it came out in a limited edition set, which included a special features DVD. Now Amazon and other retailers are already sold out of this first edition and are selling a single-disc release, which drops most of the extras from the limited edition, with the exception of the audio commentary.

----------

The Evil Dead's Blu-ray debut actually comes with most of the special features plopped onto a separate DVD disc; only a new commentary track, recorded in late 2009, with Writer/Director Sam Raimi, Producer Robert Tapert, and Actor Bruce Campbell is found on the Blu-ray disc. The commentary is a strong one, with the participants exploring the picture's origins and the state of filmmaking and the distribution system in the late 1970s, speaking on the people that helped make the picture possible, the business aspect of filmmaking, technical information, the shooting schedule, the general grind of the shoot and the difficulties surrounding it both in front of and behind the camera, the casting process and choice of shooting locales, the challenges of applying the makeup, creating the gore effects, tales from the set, and plenty more. This is a coherent, informative, and easy listen; longtime fans of the film will want to upgrade for this track alone, though the high quality video and audio presentations don't hurt, either.

The DVD disc contains a plethora of extras, all presented in standard definition, broken down into three categories: "Featurettes," "Trailer & TV spots," and "Photo Gallery." "Featurettes" contains the bulk of this package's supplements, beginning with One By One We Will Take You: The Untold Saga of 'The Evil Dead' (53:46). This is a massive, absorbing, and all-encompassing documentary that examines the making of the film, its effects, its reception, the quality of Sam Raimi's direction, and much more. 'The Evil Dead:' Treasures From the Cutting Room Floor (59:24) is a massive collection of various raw alternate takes and footage from the making of the film. The Ladies of 'The Evil Dead' Meet Bruce Campbell (28:55) features Campbell and his three female co-stars reminiscing on the making of the film. Discovering 'The Evil Dead' (13:06) looks at how The Evil Dead became a Horror favorite. Next is Unconventional (19:09), a piece that features the cast discussing film conventions and their experiences in working them. At the Drive-In (12:04) features the cast giving away copies of The Evil Dead DVD at a screening of the film. Reunion Panel (31:19) sees the cast of the film speaking and answering questions at the Flashback Weekend Horror Convention in Chicago on July 30, 2005. Book of the Dead: The Other Pages (1:57) contains footage of Ash flipping through every page in the book. Finally, Make-Up Test (1:08) is a string of footage testing out some of the film's makeup and special effects. Also included in this set is the film's theatrical trailer (1:54), four TV spots (0:33 each), and a photo gallery.

• Locked thread