Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hahaha what guest judges every week? How is that fair at all? If you didn't say 'Earwolf' that description would make me think some no name network of podcasts decided to do a guest-pull by doing a contest or something, that sounds so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Marc Maron is such a terrible interviewer I had to stop listening to WTF for the most part. I'm glad that there are other comedy shows that have something of an interviewey aspect that are actually funny and fun to listen to .

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
Well, Matt Besser was there every week too, but his main function was to sound confused at what the podcasts submitted, so really every week the judging phase had that whole draw-a-name-out-of-a-hat feel to it.

Paul F. Tompkins actually summed it up perfectly in episode 38 of Who Charted between 9:12 and 10:24.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Earwolf is trying its very hardest to create a podcast bubble, all on its own. It's odd, if I'm honest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah it's super odd that creative people in the same scene are collaborating to make entertainment what is up with that poo poo son?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I'm really surprised to hear that so many people skip the live episodes of WTF. I always listen to those first when I get behind on episodes. They're just fun and funny and more of an easy listen than his in-studio interviews.

I definitely enjoy the one-on-one interviews but they're of a more serious nature and sometimes I just want a laugh.

Also, like many people here, I like the show but don't really like Maron himself and when he's in the studio we're often treated to his long and insufferable monologues about self-hatred and that crazy loving girlfriend of his. He still manages to work these things in whenever possible on the live shows but he doesn't get to go on about it at the same length.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Is there a legitametly funny or entertaining podcast about science, tech, or startups? I don't care about sports but love Sklarbro Country, and I'd love to see that effect for a different subject.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think Marc Maron is a brilliantly funny stand-up and about 40% of his pre-interview monologues are worth a listen but most are just depressing or give me anxiety. I love when he guests on other podcasts like Jordan, Jesse, Go! or Never Not Funny cause he's more silly and funny than sloggingly introspective.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The other problem with the earwolf challenge is that it's a loving podcast competition. When I first heard about it, I thought it would be a funny satire of crappy reality show competitions. But no, they just used the crappy reality show rules, where people get penalized for every mistep, and consistency is the greatest asset.

It also seemed kind of disrespectful to the podcasters on there, too, who were all funny people with actual shows with actual fans. They kept putting them in crappy situations, and then picking apart all the ways they struggled with that crappy situation. Why not help these guys put their best foot forward? I want to hear some solid podcasting, not an attempt to manufacture drama between a bunch of folks who all seem pretty reasonable and drama free.

What a weird show.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

who were all funny people

That's a big fat lie

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

wafflesnsegways posted:

I want to hear some solid podcasting, not an attempt to manufacture drama between a bunch of folks who all seem pretty reasonable and drama free.

Well, in the world of reality shows, if you want drama, you allow the competitors to interact. All of us just recorded our submissions in a vacuum. We never once talked directly to any of the other podcasts, and we didn't know what their submission was until the review/critique episode was posted and we heard it along with the rest of the Internet. Even when the reviewers would call up the podcasters for a little hot-seat critiquing, it was always just one podcast at a time, no crosstalk.

To be fair, I don't think manufacturing drama was what they were going for, but aside from that the Reality Show Rulebook was definitely consulted.

quote:

They kept putting them in crappy situations, and then picking apart all the ways they struggled with that crappy situation.

Yep, exactly. Sounds like a reality show to me!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Earwolf is trying its very hardest to create a podcast bubble, all on its own. It's odd, if I'm honest.

If Earwolf is trying they've been thoroughly beaten to the punch by Smodcasts 20+ podcasts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CommunistMojo posted:

If Earwolf is trying they've been thoroughly beaten to the punch by Smodcasts 20+ podcasts.

They were beaten by the LA podcasting scene in general, they just decided to get their friends together and slap a brand on a few of them

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

CommunistMojo posted:

Yeah, but earwolf don't have 36 hours of advertising in front of their podcasts like everyone from smodcast does.

Also does anyone get really annoyed by how the guy says "smodcaust" or something like that. Dude can't speak.

Kevin Smith is unbearable too. Just sticking that in there.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
WTF with Carrot Top is weird. Carrot Top himself is fine, but he's got his opening act in the interview with him, and this guy just chimes in to talk about how great Carrot Top is. It's... something.

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.

wafflesnsegways posted:

WTF with Carrot Top is weird. Carrot Top himself is fine, but he's got his opening act in the interview with him, and this guy just chimes in to talk about how great Carrot Top is. It's... something.

This. The interview would have been more interesting if it was just Maron and Carrot Top talking one on one but his opening act kept popping up anything authentic and real was going on. Not to mention that it's him kissing up to Carrot Top the entire time. At times it seemed like he was protecting him from Maron or something.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think Maron should do a follow-up interview with that guy and find out why he's devoted his life to white knighting Carrot Top instead of focusing on his own career.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

FitFortDanga posted:

I think Maron should do a follow-up interview with that guy and find out why he's devoted his life to white knighting Carrot Top instead of focusing on his own career.

Why wouldn't he White Knight? He's white knighting his Writing Partner.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I really enjoy Marc Maron's style but his in studio stuff can get really heavy and I am not always in the mood for that. I also prefer the live episodes.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a neurotic mess, so maybe that's why I enjoy Maron's pre- and post-game stuff. I get the vibe he's laying out there, and he's said a few things that have stuck with me. I guess if you don't understand what it's like to be a self-sabotaging, solipsistic nightmare of a human being, it's hard to groove on what he's saying when he's laying his poo poo out there like that. I don't see it as heavy or depressing at all, just another day at the office.

Speaking of solipsistic, the "Tents" episode of The Smartest Man in the World was pretty... not good? His shows honestly gotten pretty great during its run, but man I don't know if the crowd sucked or if it was just His Most Eminent Proopness going too heavy into the Jello Biafra spoken word well. I'm sure it was just an off night, but it was definitely one of those episodes where he forgot that he was supposed to be funny.

quote:

I really enjoy Marc Maron's style but his in studio stuff can get really heavy and I am not always in the mood for that. I also prefer the live episodes.

His episode with Maria Bamford was depressing and terrifying. A few of the episodes, like the ones with Kinison's friend or the guy from the Onion, were definitely an ordeal. Most of the rest are pretty much in line with how comedians are by and large hosed up messes.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 25, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

DangerDummy! posted:

Speaking of solipsistic, the "Tents" episode of The Smartest Man in the World was pretty... not good? His shows honestly gotten pretty great during its run, but man I don't know if the crowd sucked or if it was just His Most Eminent Proopness going too heavy into the Jello Biafra spoken word well. I'm sure it was just an off night, but it was definitely one of those episodes where he forgot that he was supposed to be funny.

"Ships" is mostly great but, yeah, Greg sometimes (often) forgets that it's rarely funny to hear someone talk politics while they're stoned or drunk. I tapped out during the last ten minutes, so I'm not sure if he brought it back, but the opening discussion of Columbus was worth price of admission.

Honestly, I'd much rather have a Greg Proops podcast that's just him getting lit up and riffing about ancient history. A solid 30-40 minutes every week would be great, but I know he need at least an hour to justify the audience, who are usually necessary for the vibe.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Is it weird that I actually dug the Carrot Top interview? Though I will say every time I heard them use his name I got slightly confused. Count me in as someone who likes his pre show ramblings, I guess it makes me feel a little comforted that there are people out there who are more neurotic than me. The ep with the guy from the Onion had me bawling my eyes out though, which is bad because I listen at work, god that was heartbreaking.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Honestly, I'd much rather have a Greg Proops podcast that's just him getting lit up and riffing about ancient history. A solid 30-40 minutes every week would be great, but I know he need at least an hour to justify the audience, who are usually necessary for the vibe.

This is the reason I stopped listening to the podcast. He actually knows jack dick about ancient history except the most superficial (and often wrong) facts he picked up in History 101 in 1970, I hate listening to people who think they have a grasp on what they're talking about while they make themselves look like utter dicks to anyone who knows better

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Is it weird that I actually dug the Carrot Top interview?

I liked it too. The sycophant opener was a distraction but for the most part Carrot Top was open and honest. He is pretty quick and funny as well, could have been a regular stand up in my mind.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Eltoasto posted:

I liked it too. The sycophant opener was a distraction but for the most part Carrot Top was open and honest. He is pretty quick and funny as well, could have been a regular stand up in my mind.

I'm sure you weren't putting Carrot Top down with that last comment but his prop show is actually really funny. I saw him at his Vegas gig in the Luxor ages ago but I'll be damned if he wasn't absolutely crushing without missing a beat.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Just found out yesterday that there was even a podcast subforum on SA (no clue how I missed this poo poo for so long), and have since been catching up on this thread (well, more like the last 10 pages or so). Gotta say, I've been a little disheartened by the negativity towards WTF w/ Marc Maron, which is my favorite podcast at the moment.

Even with his eccentricities, Maron is a natural interviewer and I love it when the guests open up to him about their personal lives, especially that recent episode with Jack Gallagher talking about his son's autism. Some episodes are kinda meh, but I've rarely thought that any of them were a waste of time or boring to listen to.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

bazaar apparatus posted:

Just found out yesterday that there was even a podcast subforum on SA (no clue how I missed this poo poo for so long), and have since been catching up on this thread (well, more like the last 10 pages or so).

This sub-forum has only existed for about a month, just FYI. I can't even remember where this thread was before, since I found it by accident.

I won't comment on WTF, though, because I've only listened to the Norm episode, and it just doesn't seem like the type of show for me.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

SpacePig posted:

This sub-forum has only existed for about a month, just FYI. I can't even remember where this thread was before, since I found it by accident.

I won't comment on WTF, though, because I've only listened to the Norm episode, and it just doesn't seem like the type of show for me.

Ah, well I noticed some posts from a long time ago, but maybe this thread got moved from GBS or something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah it originally was a GBS thread, and some of the other various threads came from other forums as well.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I thought the weird thing about the Carrot Top interview is that Maron is trying to go deeper by asking him how he feels about people not respecting him and his act, but that's not just "people", that's Maron. He's talking about it in the third person when he is the guy always leading the charge when it comes to putting down the work of others when it doesn't conform to his idea of what a comedian should be. It would have been cool if Carrot Top turned it around and said "Well, Marc, tell us how you feel about meeting someone who turns out to be a decent person when you've been a huge dick to that person all your life."

SpacePig posted:

Maron is good if you're a comedy junkie because he interviews everyone, but it's not really a comedy show.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bazaar apparatus posted:

Maron is a natural interviewer

He really isn't, though. He violates basic rules of interviewing all the time. He talks over his guests, interrupts interesting stories constantly, allows giant bombs to go by without any follow-up whatsoever tries to guess what his subject is going to say or how they feel about something and commandeering the direction of the conversation... The biggest example of this that I can recall is when Patrice was on and he offhandedly mentioned that judge who sentenced him to jail when he was 13 gave him a break, and Maron didn't ask a single question about any of that and in fact interrupted him with questions about something completely different. Patrice had to shoehorn all that info in like 5-10 minutes later. I could go on, but really, if you think he's a natural interviewer I doubt that a list 1000 words long that cites examples and time codes is going to change your mind.

Again, he's a brilliant comedian, but his podcast has a lot of very obvious flaws. He's the only guy doing anything like what he's doing right now, and a lot of that is due to his personality and commitment to being honest on the podcast, but it could be much, much better.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
He's not a traditional interviewer, but he can be great because he's very open and honest about himself in a way that encourages his guests to open up about themselves.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NotWearingPants posted:

I thought the weird thing about the Carrot Top interview is that Maron is trying to go deeper by asking him how he feels about people not respecting him and his act, but that's not just "people", that's Maron. He's talking about it in the third person when he is the guy always leading the charge when it comes to putting down the work of others when it doesn't conform to his idea of what a comedian should be. It would have been cool if Carrot Top turned it around and said "Well, Marc, tell us how you feel about meeting someone who turns out to be a decent person when you've been a huge dick to that person all your life."
I've never listened to WTF but that's a fair question, and I might actually listen to the episode just to hear his response. Carrot Top's constantly the butt of jokes on tv, and even among my friends who're really into comedy it's the general consensus that he isn't(or prop comics in general aren't) really that amazing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

He's not a traditional interviewer, but he can be great because he's very open and honest about himself in a way that encourages his guests to open up about themselves.

That's such a cop out position. You could argue that he's not doing an interview, he's having a conversation with someone that's loaded with his own preconceptions and he struggles to try and "discover" what he already thinks he knows about his guest. If you want to judge what he does by the standard of "interview," he's abysmal.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm a casual WTF listener, and still listen whenever there's a guest I'm interested in, but I just can't help but dislike Maron for how much an rear end in a top hat he is. Not "was" or "can be", deep down you can tell he's just a loving jerk-off. Despite how honest he is about his short-comings, he still comes off as thinking he's the best at what he does, whether it's comedy or interviewing or whatever else he thinks he's great at. Recently Joe Rogan had Anthony Bourdain on, and when Maron saw that, he tweeted Bourdain and said "Hey, you might be doing Rogan's podcast, but he ain't me!" Whether you like or hate Rogan, that's an incredibly rude and douchey thing to say to someone, besides just being cocky. He was also a huge rear end in a top hat on Talkin poo poo with Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft, instantly dressing down Ifft in the same way he did 15 years ago when Ifft was a new comic in NY (Eddie's stories about how much of an rear end in a top hat Maron was then was pretty disgusting too). And even though he patched things up (sorta) with Louis CK, I saw in an interview with Louie that almost every time Maron has contacted him lately, it's always been about doing the podcast again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Maron is a legitimate scumbag dude and I have no idea why his 'style' is so loved. It's like if Barbra Waters somehow had less charm with his obsession with trying to force his guests to talk about how horrible and messed up they are, even ignoring legitimate good paths to focus on 'so really, are you an alcoholic, you know when I had a problem I didn't think I did either...' and sub-tabloid level interviews.

Maybe I'm tainted because my path to him went from hearing on interviews what a poo poo he is, hearing his standup and thinking he's not bad, and then finding WTF and rolling my eyes every five minutes.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
Whether you like him or not, it should be pretty obvious to even a casual listener that Maron gets really fantastic interviews out of his guests.

I don't love his style or his neuroses or his or pregame banter, but the results speak for themselves.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Glitterbomber posted:

Maron is a legitimate scumbag dude and I have no idea why his 'style' is so loved. It's like if Barbra Waters somehow had less charm with his obsession with trying to force his guests to talk about how horrible and messed up they are, even ignoring legitimate good paths to focus on 'so really, are you an alcoholic, you know when I had a problem I didn't think I did either...' and sub-tabloid level interviews.

Maybe I'm tainted because my path to him went from hearing on interviews what a poo poo he is, hearing his standup and thinking he's not bad, and then finding WTF and rolling my eyes every five minutes.

How is he a legitimate scumbag? He hasn't really done anything scummy as far as I know.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

The_Rob posted:

How is he a legitimate scumbag? He hasn't really done anything scummy as far as I know.

I'm morbidly fascinated by this possible arc of Maron becoming a father. On the one hand, the more mainstream success and national attention he gets, the softer and happier he becomes. On the other hand, he's still Mark Maron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

soru posted:

I don't love his style or his neuroses or his or pregame banter, but the results speak for themselves.
The results are a lot of frustrating to listen to interviews

• Locked thread